Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• mstsscmstssc Posts: 89
    Take a look at the S70 5 cyl turbo or predecessor. Large and powerful enough, big enough rear seat for the kid(s) and safe too.

Steve
  • Comes loaded with standard features...leather, sunroof, power seats, side airbags, V6, carseat anchors. With the current discounts you should be able to pick one up for around $21,500-$23,000 depending on options. You could get the S version for about $26,000-$27,500. The S has the supercharged Miller Cycle Engine...210hp...base Millenia only has 170hp.
  • By saying you'll be looking at used, I have to assume you don't want to spend a lot of money. Get a 2002 Sonata GLS. It will have the V6 and all the features you'll be looking for, for less than $20k. You'll get new car financing and the 10 year warranty will provide trouble free driving. The 5 year roadside assistance will provide a lot of peace of mind. What happens if you and the baby are alone at night in the rain and you blow a tire? In an Accord, you get out in the rain and change it. In a Sonata, they come and change it for you.
  • I recommend you test drive a 4 cyl Accord or Camry before you decide that you need a V6. The 4 cyl in Accord is especially powerful.The 4 cyl in Camry is very smooth. A 4 cyl engine will also save you a lot of money in fuel bills in the long run. They also have excellent reliability and resale value.

As to changing tires in a rainy night, a $60/70 annual AAA policy would have you covered. However with the Hyundai, you will be calling the RA many more times and most likely with much more severe problems than a flat tire.

• Here we go again. The question was what to buy. He said he was looking for used because of cost. I suggested a new car alternative and you chose to bash Hyundai. Where is your basis? I guess you owned a Hyundai and it broke down on you twice a week, right? You must see dozens of them broken down on the side of the road every day, right? This is not the place for this discussion, but let's at least talk about things we know about and stay on topic.
  • I see by your profile that you own an Audi and dream of owning an A8. I guess you have a short memory if you bought an Audi with the problems the 5000s had with sudden acceleration problems a few years back. You bought an Audi because you realize they got past that and are good cars now. Hyundai got past the problems they had in the 80's as well and they are good cars now. Also, Hyundai provides this service at NO charge.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    I recall that there was nothing wrong with those Audis. All those sudden acceleration problems were driver error, hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.
  • I don't remember exactly what was going on, I just know they got a TON of bad press from it and it did sully their name for a bit. Kind of like the Isuzu Trooper and flipping (killed off the Acura version, remember) and the current Grand Cherokee and sudden acceleration.
  • My opinion about Hyundais is formed based on somewhat poor reviews(especially about reliability...a black dot) that I read in consumer magazine(not an unbiased source, but the best we have) and the opinions expressed here in Edmunds by dealers who go to auctions and report seeing tons of Hyundais being dumped for various problems.
    Hyundais have poor resale value for a reason:market does not trust them. The market is brutally honest and has very short memory. For example, VW/Audi designed a better product and their resale values shot up in spite of the unjustified stigma from the past. No such thing happening with Hyundai. Buyer beware.

Anyway, this is off topic here. Join us in the other topic in smart shoppers if you want to discuss further.

• You're right that this is not the place to discuss this topic. I will say, though, that I was right in my assumption--thanks for verifying that. Try test driving one before making up your mind. Or--since you like to read--go to the threads of Sonata, Elantra and Elantra GT and read the accounts of many happy owners. That is real world data. I stand by my recommendation--buy a Sonata and forget used junk!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    They want to talk to consumers who were looking at a used car, but the great financing deals moved them to consider/purchase new instead. Or, they were thinking they would use the zero-financing to buy a new car, but decided a used car was a better deal right now because of a drop in the used car's price.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, November 16 with your story.
  • theworldizmyn Nov 9, 2001 6:39pm

If you are looking for a new car the Honda Accord 2002 SE (special edition) is a great buy since it gives you the moonroof and security system as well as some other goodies! I am not sure the price range yo are looking into but if not new most used Accords are great buys and you really can't go wrong.
  • The 2002 Accord SE is a great choice. Heck of a car. Lots of EX features without the EX price. But, he said he was looking at used--price is probably too high.
  • I'm looking to replace my 1990 Toyota Camry (great car!) very soon. I'm looking at a 1997 Honda Accord LX (4 door,power,A/C,65K miles) that is in excellent shape both inside and out. The dealer printed out a Carfax report for me and everything checked out fine. It's had two local owners. My question is, it was listed at $12,900 (which is obviously inflated), I got them down to $11,200 (the dealer put $1200.00 into the car when it was traded in - timing belt, serpentine belt, tires, complete tune up, etc.), is this a good deal? According to KBB and Edmunds, the 1997 Accord is a great car (besides my wife had a 1989 Accord LXi that gave her years of trouble free driving!). Thank you!
  • I recall that there was nothing wrong with those Audis. All those sudden acceleration problems were driver error, hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

Yes, but that's only half the story: the driver error was "caused" by the human engineering of the floor pedal layout. In a nutshell, the pedals were too far to the left, so the gas pedal was effectively "center", instead of being tucked up to the right as we find on most cars. A quick stomp straight down with the right foot looking for the brake...missed.

Reportedly, Detroit had the same exact problem back in the 1950's.

-hh
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    I thought the Audi pedal layout was just the European style of having similarly sized gas and brake pedals, while the North American style had been the wide fat brake pedal in the centre and small accelerator to the right. I drove late 70's and early 80's manual tranny Volvos almost exclusively for the first years I was driving and found the big fat brake pedal of the Detroit auto makers to be awkward. I never drove an Audi in those days so you could be right about the position being too far left for the throttle.

That fat pedal was there for emergency two footed braking, right? Grab onto the steering wheel with both hands and stomp the brake pedal with both feet to use the 'mighty' stopping power of 4-wheel drum brakes. Thankfully, cars have improved A LOT since then...
  • Hi all,

The lease on my 1999 Accord EX V6 coupe is ending in February and I'm looking at getting a new sedan in the $20-22K price range. I'm considering a Civic EX sedan or a Jetta GLS 1.8 Turbo, w/AT. Aside from being a new sedan in the price range, other things that are important are reliability, quality, and a car that holds its value well - like a Honda. I owned a civic coupe ('98-recently traded for a Jeep Liberty for my husband) and really liked driving the Civic, but I am worried that the sedan will be too small. Are there any other cars I should consider? Any opinions on the two cars I'm currently thinking about? Thanks!
    Cyndi
  • If those are your 2 choices, get the Civic EX and pocket the difference. I would personally get the Jetta, but since you stress the things Hondas are known for, it sounds like you want the Honda. You mention the small size--Jettas are really small. If you compare the numbers, it's smaller than a Nissan Sentra!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    If you compare the interior measurements, the Civic is comparable, if not superior, to many bigger sedans in terms of passenger room. The TL, Legacy and the Maxima come to mind. It would certainly be roomier than your current Accord coupe. However, after driving the Accord, you may find other aspects of the Civic unacceptable, such as noise levels, power, effectiveness of the HVAC system, quality of interior material, etc.
  • can someone help me. a used avalon xls 1999 w/
    30,000 miles vs. a new honda lx 4 cyl. Both
    are about $17,000. New vs. higher end used.
    Any opinions?