Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII

Comments

• smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    You are right I do drive a POS and it is underpowered. How will I ever live with myself. Please recant everything you said so I can fill better about myself and my tiny tin can truck. The retarded comment is a bit precarious. I am not the one with the cerebral problems of which the etiology is unknown.

I shall digress back to my moronic state and live in denial of my worthless truck.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    sad, well compared to the SOHC, it is down on power and torque. and getting damage just from loading an atv in it, well, that's weak imo. a ford does not damage near that easily. last week while pulling a tree down that got stuck while falling (with the 4-banger 205,000 miled ranger), a part of a branch fell on the tailgate of my dad's old crappy 4-banger 4x4 ranger. didn't dent at all. you can't beat the toughness of any ford truck. old or new. anytime a comparison between an import and a ford truck, i laugh. you all are so naive and blind. and really just want the toyota name, thinking it means something. well, it does. thin body and weak frames.

they do look nice though. and wheel pretty good too. but any work is out of the question.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    That might back up those comments you stick by so well. I was trying to laugh this off, but my smiles are clearing up rather quickly. I have never "worked" a Ranger. Thus, I do not say what they can and can't do. Same with you and Yotas. I have seen the same thing happen to Yotas as you have seen happen to Fords. ITS NO DIFFERENT. Hell, with that last post -- calling me naive is like the pot calling the kettle black. It was all fairly light-hearted until you said I really just wanted the Toyota name. Thats just stupid. Practice what you preach and start using your brain before you write crap like that.

That tree obviously must have been pretty small and rotten to be pulled down so easily by a truck that is, according to you, underpowered and crappy. "PART of a branch" -- and your surprised it didn't dent the truck. Give me a f'in break. Let me ram my Foreman into the back of your truck and lets se what happens.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    You are looking in the wrong place for reliability data for Toyota trucks/Tacoma's. I don't know where you got this quote from?? There are clear charts and comments showing the reliability and problems with Toyota trucks/Tacoma trucks.
    As far as the Mazda not being number 2 in sales?? I would have to say its because there 10 Ford dealerships for every Mazda dealership, and Mazda doesn't offer the B series in as many configurations as Ford does the RAnger. I would also say there are at least 5 Toyota dealerships for every Mazda dealership also.
    If you read back, way way back you will find a name "Vince8". I pulled a few Toyotas out of tough spots, even helped a guy whose Tacoma left him stranded up in the middle of nowhere, about 15 miles to the nearest halfway traveled road. Also have a friend with a TRD. He has had his problems, even tried to hide them from me. He wanted so bad to "bury" my Ranger and "leave me in the dust" He couldn't.
    Tacomas aren't perfect, there are plenty of other chat rooms around the net with some ticked off owners that have learned this also. I left this room because I was tired of the same old stuff. I have a Ranger that has proven to be every bit as reliable and offroad capable as any Tacoma, TRD or non TRD. Maybe its my experience with offroading that makes the Ranger perform? I don't know, all I know it get me where I want to go and has never let me down. I know I paid at least 2-3K less for a like optioned Tacoma in 1998.
    See you in the Cascades.... Drive smart.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    I have to agree with your statement ""im the biggest retard on edmunds". Although unintended, you couldn't describe yourself any better. I also enjoyed your "back in my racing days" comment....HA HA!!! I find it interesting that guys like you feel the need to make things up and put down other people in an attempt to cover up your lack of knowledge.
    until i see toyota's out in the timber pulling stuck trees down after being cut down and falling on another and part of the tree landing on the truck and not even damaging it, i won't give toyota any respect. people don't buy toyota's to work them, they buy them cuz they are cheap (non SR5 trucks) and get good mileage, and are supposed to have a good warranty. we all know how good that powertrain warranty is now- if something goes wrong, its YOUR fault. i know of a couple old toyotas around my hometown community. neither one of those could go haul a load of wood out of the timber- cuz they now have flatbeds on them cuz the original bed has rusted off. it sounds like you need the experience. us ford owners HAVE worked our trucks, you guys just use yours as transportation. even scorp won't go cruise the ditches, calling even that abuse. whatever. im sorry, but toyota builds their trucks for looks, and that's it. why do you think they build pre-runners? so people can have the "look" of a 4x4. not knocking your truck, but it really is just a camry with a bed and raised suspension isn't it? ford trucks walk the walk, and toyotas just talk. that's the whole difference.
    just cuz you have no natural talent for anything other than coming on edmunds and sounding like a moron, doesn't mean others haven't had success in extra-curricular activities or other hobbies. i don't "make stuff up" like yourself obviously. i raced for eight years and would love to pound some bars with you. unfortunately, guys like you wouldn't have the guts to keep the throttle on all the way into the first turn. you make me laugh at how wimpy you probably are. and your truck choice totally backs your persona up. the toyota truck is a "poser", and so are you. you also need to practice up on your reading comprehension abilities.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    you have been bordering on obnoxious lately. This forum is NOT about demeaning others. It is intended to be a level playing ground where adults can debate the plusses and minuses of Tacomas and Rangers WITHOUT getting personal.

After owning six Toyota pickups, including two Tacomas, I will likely never buy another. There are MANY things I don't like about the Tacoma, most of them very subjective. My intense dislike of the Tacoma (and most things Toyota) does not give me the right to make personal attacks on others, such as calling them morons. That's just acting badly, IMHO.

Please back off a bit, and stick to facts, or your own personal opinions.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    are you like this in real life, or just online?
  • Hey, I knew my comment about the bed of my Tacoma would get some people going regarding Tacoma quality. Listen, my only point was that Tacoma's aren't perfect. If you work a truck like a truck should be worked, they will all experience problems (some minor, some major) at some point. They are machines, and no machine is perfect (not even Tbunder's Ranger, no matter what BS he posts on this web site).

The fact that my bed bent back into my cab as I slammed into it with an 800 lb. snow machine (at about 10 mph) doesn't mean that I now believe my Tacoma is junk. The bed strength is a flaw that (in my opinion) should probably be corrected by the Toyota engineers. However, I still love the truck and I still believe that a Toyota engine is one of the most reliable in the industry. And, I still think that Rangers are kind of crappy and wouldn't buy one if it was the last compact on the face of the planet. And, no compact is as strong as a full sized pick up. So for TBunder to compare an 80's full sized Ford to a Tacoma is kind of a compliment.

Furthermore, I was simply trying to prove to the pro-Ranger fans (Tbunder in particular) that a subjective owner of any vehicle is not afraid to point out the flaws of that vehicle. I mean, come on Tbunder, how can any of us really read your posts without laughing out loud when you tell us repeatedly that your Ranger is so perfect and has never given you even the slightest problem. Either you are the luckiest vehicle owner on the face of this planet or your Ford Ranger has never left your garage.

Take care and I'll see you in the woods doing some fishing..............Steelman.
    "The fact that my bed bent back into my cab as I slammed into it with an 800 lb. snow machine (at about 10 mph) doesn't mean that I now believe my Tacoma is junk"

-I guess I can't imagine any truck not getting a good dent from having this happen.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    but he doesn't have one anymore.
    until i see Ford's out in the timber pulling stuck trees down after being cut down and falling on another and part of the tree landing on the truck and not even damaging it, i won't give Ford any respect. people don't buy Ford's to work them, they buy them cuz they are cheap (all of em) and get good mileage, and are supposed to have a good warranty because they need it. we all know how good that powertrain warranty is now- if something goes wrong, which it will, its YOUR fault. i know of a couple old Fords around my hometown community. neither one of those could go haul a load of wood out of the timber- cuz they now have flatbeds on them cuz the original bed has rusted off. it sounds like you need the experience. us Toyota owners HAVE worked our trucks, you guys just use yours as transportation. even scorp won't go cruise the ditches, calling even that abuse. whatever. im sorry, but Ford builds their trucks for cheapness, and that's it. why do you think they are so inexpensive? Toyota trucks walk the walk, and Fords just talk. that's the whole difference

As for my truck, you have gone and done it. How stupid are you? I outdo 4x4 nissans all the time with my locker, wherever he wants to go. Ive got more ground clearance than Rangers, now. How is that like a camry. They build prerunners for people who cant afford and don't use 4x4 that much. Any other reason is just bogus (ie. your reason). I will take my truck just about anywhere around here that 4x4s can go. You won't believe that til you ride with me, but its true.

I don't know what the hell has gotten into you but this is not like you at all. What happened to respecting each other? I understand your extreme hatred for these trucks but fail to see any backing. Oh by the way, the first paragraph is not necessarily my thoughts, just an example of how things can go either way, neither way being any more true or false than the other. I don't know what Yotas you see, and you don't know what Fords I see.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    "us ford owners HAVE worked our trucks".....Ha HA!!! You're killing me tbunder....... Make up another good one for us.......
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    You just as bad as tbunder, you come in hear knocking the Ranger.. Yet its OK?? Why? Please explain how the Ranger is cheap? What about those great crashtests on the Tacoma? www.crashtest.com to take a peak at past Toyota's and Tacoma's... and compare it to the RAnger.. The sheetmetal on a Tacoma is thinner. Park a Ranger and Tacoma side by side. Examine the doors, hood, fenders, there is a difference in thickness of the metals.
    As far as "working" a truck.. I feel pretty confident my Ranger has worked, pulled, hauled, towed, trailed as much if not more than your Tacoma over the last 4 years of service..
    Tell me how I have knocked the Ranger when it wasn't in mere defense of Tacos. Another frequent of the board told me a couple of weeks ago that he hated Tacos only b/c Yota owners were so cocky and blind. I totally understood that and specifically made it a point not to blindly knock the Ranger or other vehicles (although Im not sure I have EVER done that).

I did not say the Ranger is cheap. If you are going from the last post - I simply subsituted Yota for Ford in Tbunders post. Just to show that I can make the same statement and it is just as true. I don't DISLIKE the Ranger, never have I said that. I am truly sorry if I am being just like Tbunder cuz that is the last thing I wanna do. I will try to be different in the future. I sincerely believe, that my attitude for the last few weeks has been nothing more than trying to defend the common notion that Yotas are weak. I have never disputed that Rangers have thicker metal - big deal. Just please don't say that Tacos CAN'T work. I have seen them in action and they hold their own. Buddy, I could care less about bashing the Rangers. That ain't my style, man. Have a good one.

Honestly, have I been bashing the Ranger as much as Tbunder has been bashing the Taco? I wanna know. Count how many times I have used "pos" in reference to Rangers and compare it to Tbunder's use of the same phrase. Just one easy way to go about it.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    Let me see if I got this right:

tbunder says on Edmunds his Ranger is so tough because he "jumps" it and "works" it, yet on E-bay claims his truck was "pampered, perfect and never abused."

This from the same guy who said Rangers have lockers and beds welded to their frames! Oh, and that Rangers outweigh Tacomas by 400lbs and have 2" bigger rear diffs.

Uhm, OK. Sure. Whatever.
  • Tbunder, you really make this site interesting. Keep up the good work!

And, if you can prove to me (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that your Ranger has never had even one minor problem, I will trade in my Tacoma immediately and pick up a brand new Ford Ranger.

Take care and I'll see you in the mud (it is mud season you know).......... Steelman.
    After all, he sold his Ranger. For the moment, looks like he's buying a Liberty. After he's thought of buying a Nissan (and fought hard to prove that Nissan was also better than Tacoma), and then Taco DC, and then F150, watch out for seeing comments like "My Liberty will outwheel your Tacoma". I doubt he'll be anywhere near mud in that shiny Jeep. I wonder what would any wife say if hubby went mudding and broke something in the family van...I mean family car :)
    "What about those great crashtests on the Tacoma?"

-actually, the Tacoma does have good crash test results. In fact, it was named "best in class" by NHTSA. The Ranger does have better side impact ratings, however.
  • Is it really true that Vince8 is back under a new name? Please confirm. It will be interesting to see both Vince8 and Tbunder defending their beloved Ranger. Speaking of that, where has Stang been lately?
    Because there are two different agencies that perform 2 different tests, Ranger people pick the worst ones and call them the truth. Of course, Tacoma people pick the best ones and call them the truth. And since neither party can convince the other one why one test is better than another (I still think offset crash tests are more real-life), the arguement is here to stay.
    What Ranger fans call "great crashtests" is something from 1998 when Tacoma got a 1 star rating somewhere somehow. Considering that the truck has stayed the same from 1995.5 until now, with few cosmetic changes, that's very surprising.
    Yeah....we all might as well sell our Tacos, because obviously Ranger is superior. Since Ford is completely innocent of the tires fiasco, and Torsen is to blame for the FX4 rearaxle fiasco, it has all been a great misunderstanding.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    There's a lot of truth to your post........BUT, isn't that the same as blaming an outside supplier for the rotted out sheet metal on the toys? Or the infamous leaking head gasket? Wonder whose fault the toy V6 sludge problem will be???

They are all just trucks, nothing(except my Super Duty. LOL!) is perfect.
    In Firestone case, both share responsibility: Firestone for supplying bad tires, Ford for letting them through. In case of Torsen, it isn't clear. It could be:
    1. Torsen supplied 800-something bad lockers that Ford put on. Again, fault lies with both companies.
    2. Torsen supplied good lockers: by good I mean they satisfied specifications they had. Then it's entirely Fords' fault for putting them on and not making sure that they could take torque and not snap in the parking lot.
    Whichever way you look, both companies are at fault. As for the engines: they are produced by Toyota. I don't know the particulars of the head gasket case, so I can't say anything other than it seems like Toyotas' fault.
    Yeah, your SD is the [non-permissible content removed] :)
    Wait...my Taco is also perfect. Thats right. Mine and mine alone.
    I think we both know better, haha.
    I honestly don't know how the corporate structure works. I know what Ford has been accused of, but I also know that according to some we didn't land on the moon, a plane didn't crash into the Pentagon and Klinton didn't have sexual relations.....

The tire debacle I have mixed feelings about. It wasn't like the Explorers came off the assembly line, drove 10 minutes and rolled. There were millions sold and a very small percentage this happened to. When is the point of action for a corporation?? One incident? A hundred? It seemed to me when it was clear there was a problem, Ford replaced tires. The media has a way of making a villan of whoever is on top at the time.

Again, only speculation but if I'm running Torsen, or Firestone, I'm not going to blindly put my name on a product that I know won't do the job. I'm still thinking manufacturing defect as opposed to under-engineered.

I'm glad you said lockers/diffs breaking. I've been biting my tongue on all the "experts" saying the axles were snapping.
    I knew what he meant, it was better than some saying the axles snapped.
    I think line gets drawn when those vehicles start methodically flipping over on a highway. There's a pattern in those firestone rollovers, and thats what is bad. If one SUV rolls over because they blow a tire..thats fine. When 100 does because 100 same tires blow, thats not fine.
    Replacing tires afterwards is a nice thing to do, but it should have been prevented. We aren't seeing other cars, like Camry, regularly blow tires made by the same company.
    And I would like to thank you for being a very level headed guy. Such are in short supply. U2 vince. And I agree with alot of what you said in the last post.
    I think(?) that's my point. When did it become an epidemic? We knew that X amount of tires blew and Y amount of Explorers rolled AFTER THE FACT. did Ford get wind of EVERY SINGLE blowout as it happened? Did it take 25? 50? 100 to see a pattern? Hindsight is great but I think Ford(like toy on the current sludge problem) didn't have 100 incidents thrown on a CEO's desk during a 10 day span. These accidents have been over 10 years and are still a very small percentage of the total vehicles/tires produced.
This discussion has been closed.