Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Comments

• Options
    prodigalsunprodigalsun Member Posts: 213
    I had the opportunity to by an SRT 4 yesterday at a dodge/chrysler tent sale

Price 19995
    Fincancing: 5 years 0%

Didn't pull the trigger (won't be ready to buy for a month). Did I miss my opportunity?
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    To bad they didn't change the cartoon styling. Would have been a great car.
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Rest easy...the 2004 with limited-slip is the car to have, so you lucked out. '03 is a great barn-burner, but the 04 is worth waiting for.

corkfish - The basket handle has stirred up some controversy on this board...mainly ppl over 35 who would be embarrased by the big wing (not that they'd be embarrased by a similar wing on a Porsche, though). Personally, I think it doesn't look half-bad and the car after all can back it up with actions, but I think it ought to be a no-cost option so that people can decide for themselves. The basic lines of the car are first-class in my opinion. I'm 37 and I think the car is sharp, and my admiration runs more towards Italian cars, too. My only real gripe with the exterior styling of the '03+ Neons is the front fascia. I agree with Mr. Shiftright on that...it's a little gaudy. But overall, the Neon is the best-looking sub-compact on the road imo. Not as unique as the Mini, but I happen to think the Mini is kinda "affectionately ugly."
  • Options
    When will they be rolling ot the '04's? I didn't know it was coming out with a limited slip, in that case I will wait.

I did actually find a dealer who's internet manager told me she would sell me the car at invoice....but if they are coming out with the LSD in the '04, I'll drive my 12 year old ford ranger for another couple of months.
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Not sure on the timing, but September is a pretty safe bet. You probably can factory order an SRT-4 now.

I'd put in a custom order and drive the Ranger until it comes in. You're in the perfect position to do that...it's not as if you have a lease that's about to expire. Custom orders can be done for a few hundred dollars over invoice in the PA/NJ region at least. Also, Dodge is offering a new color (Midnight Blue) and a bunch of other changes in the 04 SRT-4. You might want to check out allpar.com for more details.
  • Options
    Great info, I see also a sunroof will be available. I'm sold, I'm going to make my special order
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    230HP/250lbs-ft of torque for the 2004 SRT-4. Remains to be seen if it puts the same power to the wheels and Dodge just revised the numbers up, or there's actually a boost. Big news is the standard limited slip, should make for a big difference accelerating out of corners. All of this plus the sunroof option for only $500 more.

-B
  • Options
    I believe that Sport Compact Car magazine got close to that on thier dynos with a couple of '03s that they tested at the wheels, so I think more than anything dodge change the specs to reflect reality than made any meaningful engine/exhaust/ecu changes.

Refreshing after Nissan's blunder with the Spec V.
  • Options
    Been confirmed that the injectors are larger, the same as the ones for the Stage 1 kit for 2003 models. Don't think the ECU is any more aggressive though, but nobody is really sure yet. Still, getting the bigger injectors stock makes it that much easier to get more power...
    Kudos to Dodge.

-B
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    it was very nice. I can't belive the prices anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000 over at different dealers on the lot. One place can order at MSRP. Is that a good price ?

First time I looked at the car it seemed pretty chintzy inside. Looked better today. However I noticed when the front windows roll up all the way the door facing flexes. Both front doors did this

How is the SRT4 as far as reliability. Is the maintenance interval really every 3,000 miles?

Thanks

MC
  • Options
    Looks like the 2004 SRT-4 is producing about 10HP more than 2003 models. Not too shabby considering the addition of the LSD.

-B
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Isn't the "new" horsepower really only a correction of understated horspoer on the 2003 models?
  • Options
    It is closer, but the few dynos I've seen are close and some are above 230HP. BTW:

Coilover kits, interesting:

Mopar is offering 2 Coilover Kits for the SRT-4 - you can call them Level 2 and Level 3.

Kit includes a complete shock and spring replacement. Both front and rear.

Features included in both kits:

Ride height adjustability (up to 30mm drop from stock)The 30mm drop is limited by the factory installed "stop rings". Remember even though you can drop more than 30mm, the 30mm drop provides optimum handling, suspension geometry and component durability. Anything lower will negatively affect the performance and particularly the durability of the lower control arms.

Polished stainless steel strut bodies

Anodized aluminum hardware

Powder coated springs (blue, of course)

The only additional feature of Level 3 will be the rebound adjustability (-20 to +50% over Level 2).
  • Options
    Is this a Typo? I mean, did they just lump the SRT in with all the other neon models by accident?
  • Options
    jt33jabjt33jab Member Posts: 2
    the 2004 makes 230hp @ 5300 rpm
    while the 2003 makes 215 @5400 rpm
    the 2004's torque is 250 @ 2200 rpm
    and the 2003's touque is 245 @ 3200 rpm.
    can some one fill in the holes?

not to mention that the PT Cruiser gt (which uses the same engine and turbo) went up to 220hp for the 2004 from 215 in 2003.
    ???

oh yea all of this and it goes .1 seconds faster from 0-60
  • Options
    fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    the car is already for a while out there; It would be great if the guys owning the car could share their experiences, in "Car & Driver" style form - purchase/price, 3,000 miles, 5,000, 10,000 - I am pretty sure that these kind of observations will be more valuable and true comparing to any magazine info, and potential owners like me will greatly appreciate that. I am looking at WRX / SRT very hard, and input like the one I described above is very important.
  • Options
    comanche_ajcomanche_aj Member Posts: 18
    im reasonably sure that in Car-and-Driver magazine awhile ago, that they reported on upcoming srt-10 models. including the viper, and ram, but did anyone happen to see or hear of a neon srt-10? my friends asked me about it and i took up for one of them saying that they do exist, i was wondering if i was wrong. -ajjjjjjj
  • Options
    revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Where would you put that engine? In the back seat/trunk area? lol
  • Options
    thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    I think they changed the computer around a little but even the 2003 models are putting down around 220hp AT THE WHEELS. Some of it is they just aren't underating them as much.
  • Options
    In Renault Clio it is exactly what they did - they have put the motor i.o. rear seats (not V-8/10 though.) and made the car RWD. They say, the current model is more civil now, but the prior gen was a blast to drive - and a sure way to get gray hair in short time - too strong and too unmageable - but it sold and sells well.
  • Options
    comanche_ajcomanche_aj Member Posts: 18
    okay, im not entirely sure, but if my memory serves me right, engines in dodges (or all american cars for that matter) are always in their normal spots. a friend of mine once told me that any engine will fit in any car if you are okay with cutting away some firewall and moving the transmission farther back, and i believe that is true. of course the back seat would be a place with sufficient room to fit the srt-10 engine, but they didnt put it there...or they wouldn't have if they made such a car, which is the reason im posting this question...has anybody ever heard of/seen a Dodge Neon SRT-10? -ajjjjjjjj
  • Options
    dodge has never buit bikes neither - but Tomahawk is there - one-off, but nevertheless. And retro - cars - but PT Cruiser is on sale, and so is Prowler. Neon SRT-4 is something revolutionary also. So, Dodge has some tradition of innovation, you newer know what they gonna do. They definitely could drop bigger engine in Stratus. And turbocharged V6/8 + AWD - in Neon...
  • Options
    Surprised this thread is so dead. Any SRT-4 owners out there?
  • Options
    darbowdarbow Member Posts: 30
    Can any SRT-4 owner please give me input as to how your car handles in the snow? Is the 04 model better in the snow than the 03? thanks
  • Options
    Don't have an SRT-4, but the car comes with Michelin Pilot Sports, which are summer only max-performance tires. They aren't M+S rated, or even all-season tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tir- eModel=Pilot+Sport

Winter traction is not going to be good at all. The LSD for teh 2004 model year will mean both your front tires will break at the same time versus one going first, tehe.

-B
  • Options
    socalsrt4socalsrt4 Member Posts: 5
    Driving an SRT-4 in the snow is just plain wrong. Put it in the garage under a cover, and get something else to drive around in the snow! One of several reasons why I won't live anywhere where it snows. Need a different vehicle, different clothes, etc.

This weblink has some pics of my 2003 silver SRt-4. Enjoy!

http://njsr.org/pics/thumbnails.php?album=114
  • Options
    http://305sr.com/videos/500hp.mpeg

Wonder how much higher they will go.
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Beanboy, the link is a dead end.
  • Options
    majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Darn, I just read on the thread that they dropped the yellow color which is the color I would get if I get an SRT-4.

Also, if I were to get one, it would have to be my daily driver (summer and winter). How bad do you think driving it in winter (with snow tires) would be?
  • Options
    Driving an SRT-4 in the snow is just wrong - get a WRX instead.

Robert
    2003 SRT-4 (silver, w/mods)
  • Options
    Decent ground clearance for a performance car, so with snows on, you shouldn't have any problems getting anywhere within reason. Maybe a little more prone to understeer since the LSD will get both front wheels spinning in a corner if you give it too much gas, but in snowy conditions, a regular ol' Neon would probably be almost just as bad.

-B
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    Contrary to what has been posted here by others, yellow remains a color choice for the SRT-4. Black and blue are also color choices. Dodge had a black 2004 SRT-4 on display at my local auto show this past weekend. You could sit in it and this one had the more traditional (and comfortable) seats as opposed to the street racing seats the 2003 I test drove had.
  • Options
    Have side airbags in them. If you opt for the option, you get the R/T seats, not the Viper ones.

-B
  • Options
    To those who have driven the SRT-4 and driven it hard, what is the first modification you would make? Would you have the suspension upgraded? Would it be the performance? Would you even bother having a short shifter installed?

As I have stated previously, the SRT-4 would be my daily driver. I want to add that the SRT-4 would see some track time and I have hopes of going to the Southwest to drive in a legal highway race. All modifications would be done by a Dodge dealer.

Any and all replies greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    As with anything else, how fast or how good you want to handle/race will depend on how much money you want to spend. Something like the Rage big turbo kit will increase the hp/torque to over 300, at a cost of around $2400. But to me, the car is plenty fast as is. It needs more handling things than outright speed things.

If it were me, based on your comments about it being a daily driver and still seeing some occasional track time, I'd concentrate first on handling. Get a front and rear strut tower bar, lowering springs (coilovers are too expensive), and larger diameter or bigger wheels. The brakes are fine as is for most street applications. Be warned however that the springs and strut tower bars will make the car VERY stiff for everyday street use. You'll feel every little ripple in the pavement with that setup. But I would imagine on a track it would handle as if on the proverbial rails.

I'd replace the stock filter with either a K&N drop-in or Uni foam drop-in, and route a cold air hose from the front up into the stock airbox.

http://njsr.org/pics/thumbnails.php?album=114

This link has pics of some of the mods I've done to my car.

Good luck...
  • Options
    I just noticed on the literature about the mods the salesman sent me is the notice that all the performance mods cannot be sold for cars licensed for highway use.

Oh, well.
  • Options
    Umm, yes they can. Except for the unreleased Stage III which does away with the cat.

-B
  • Options
    Than explain why the literature says they can't?
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    It doesn't say they "cannot be sold for cars licensed for highway use". It says they are "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles". It's just a way for them to cover their butts in reference to smog legality.
  • Options
    I will have to bring the literature to work so I can make an exact quote. Granted it does not say (exactly) cannot be sold, but it says more than what you have indicated. There is a provision about it not being legal for cars licensed for highway use.
  • Options
    "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles."

A majority (I'd say 90%) of all performance parts say the same exact thing, sold by the factory or aftermarket. Only really important issue is making sure the cat(s) are happy and are doing their job cleaning the exhaust. Some states do visible inspection of equipment, but they aren't going to find a new chip, larger injectors, new cam, turbo, etc...

-B
  • Options
    I am on my lunch hour and I accidently left the literature in my department, but it also says or vehicles licensed for highway use. I didn't put quotes around because I cannot be sure it is exact, but I am very confident it is close.

To me, this says that it isn't illegal for me to buy the mods even though my car will be licensed for highway use, but it is illegal for the dealership to sell them to me.

Now I don't know the potential consequences, but if I were a dealer and breaking this rule/law meant the loss of my dealership, I would not be selling the parts if illegal.

I guess I will just have to ask my dealer how they interpret the wording.
  • Options
    Here is the exact wording from the Dodge parts catalog about the legality of the mods.

"Not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles or vehicles registered for highway use."
  • Options
    norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what the main differences are between the two. I know the SRT-4 is faster and lighter. Do they have the same engine? Transmissions etc. It's kind of interesting that two very different cars, that appeal to different drivers, share the basic chassis.
  • Options
    Well it looks like it might be a good time to buy. Archer Dodge in Houston has 12 SRT-4s and is selling for 1% below invoice. Sounds like a good price to me!
  • Options
    Went to two Dodge dealerships this weekend one had 12 SRT-4s and the other had 10. Both were willing to sell for 1% under invoice?

What's the deal? Why sooooo many?

How is Dodge relability? WShould there be any concern for the turbo relaibility?

It was onwe fast car :)

Thanks,
    MidCow
  • Options
    quickquick Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised. Pretty much all red circles or half circles. A recommended buy. The 2004 models should be as good or better.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I really like the styling of the SRT-4, especially the wheels and front air dam. I love turbos and have a lot of respect for the 230hp being pumped out from the 4-cyl. The LSD is definitely a plus for putting all that power to the front wheels. The price of the SRT-4 is incredible too.

I drive an '01 Prelude which would get its doors, trunk, hood, and everything else blown off by an SRT-4.

How are the SRT-4's interior materials? I'm just curious.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    "I drive an '01 Prelude which would get its doors, trunk, hood, and everything else blown off by an SRT-4."

You might want to look a little closer at the SR-T before you compare it to the Prelude. Especially in interior quality and design. The Prelude was built with a few other priorities than just to be a platform for an engine.