Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If that is the case, the SVX might get sold...

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    That word just keeps creeping into your posts Mike. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Well you know, I'm still soooo leary of an american car...

-mike
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    >Could almost hear Kate...
    >"Where's the model?" :D

My thoughts exactly! The owner is missing on the pix :-(
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I'll post a pic of the Jeep w/me in it. The only diff is that I'm going to be clothed this time, LOL!

Stephen
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Dave (hypov) was asking some questions regarding heated seats in the 02/03 Imprezas over in the Impreza forum.

Care to give a quick synopsis about it? You were seriously looking into it, right?

-Dennis
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Jacobs electronics market seat heater kits, you could install them yourself if you feel confident in being able to remove and install the seat covers, otherwise an upholsterer could install for not a lot of money.

After that it would be a matter of wiring them up.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    My dad was asking about aftermarket seat heaters too.

-Dennis
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Bob- This extract from that Automotive News article is quite telling:

"But also important to automakers, "SUV sales are still going terrific," said Gloria Bergquist, vice president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, representing 10 of the top automakers."

What it says to me is that the automakers will go to almost any extreme to downplay safety concerns in order to protect their profit margins.

While I think that the anti-SUV crowd can be hypocritical and prone to exaggerations, there's no doubt in my mind that the automakers are spending millions of dollars in a concerted effort to spin-doctor a positive image for SUVs.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    They're *the* cash cows for most carmakers.

Bob
  • Options
    January 20 2003 issue, in the "Fast Poll" section, the first comment is mine.

Bob
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    There latest issue isn't yet online. Also, I noticed in their online Fast Poll, you can contribute, but you don't necessarily see what was published in print. You see every post that was made, not just the few that were chosen.

Bob
  • Options
    what did you say? (I don't subscribe to AutoWeek) :(

-Brian
  • Options
    Is the big-engine, rwd 427 throwback the best direction for Ford's sedan strategy? This was in reference to the Ford 427 concept car that was shown at the Detroit show.

My response:

"Not one of Ford's better ideas. Consumers have spent the last 30 years learning the advantages of front-wheel drive and more recently, all-wheel drive. Does Ford believe rwd has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding?"

Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I do too and more importantly would NEVER buy a front-wheel drive performance car.

Mundane transportation only. I'm not aware of the concept's particulars, but if it comes remotely close to paying proper homage to the memory evoked by the 427 SOHC V8, it probably isn't mundane transportation.

Opinions are like... yeah you know.

-Colin
  • Options
    << I do too and more importantly would NEVER buy a front-wheel drive performance car.

If I wasn't such a Subaru and AWD fan, I'd buy an Acura RSX Type-S in a heartbeat, or their just announced 200 HP 6-speed TSX sedan.

<< Mundane transportation only. >>

Colin, really... To suggest that you can't have a "sporting" FWD car is just pure BS, and you know it. You may not care for FWD, but that's strictly your opinion. There are thousands of FWD sporty car owners who would disagree with you.

Bob
  • Options
    by Paul Hansen, on the EVO/STi war, and how it may play out. Bottom line: Customers will benefit, no matter wins!

http://www.apexjapan.com/

Bob
  • Options
    sounds much like the Iraq War buildup: A long time coming, and with a lot of bluster on both sides.

http://TheCarConnection.com/index.asp?article=5673&sid=192&am- p;am- p;am- p;n=156

Bob
  • Options
    Rumor that a new smaller Saab, slotted beneath the 9-3, may be based on the next-generation Subaru Impreza!!!

http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=211&id=4- - - - - 890

Hmmm... Would it be called the 9-I ("eye," for Impreza) or 9-1 ("one," since they already have a three and a five)?

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Whew, finally caught up and recovered from the falling down after reading about the STi.

I think RWD is back, mostly because traction control technology allows it. FWD full size cars never really sold very well. US makes retreated to build only RWD-based SUVs while car sales dwindled.

I'll have to look at these concepts and comment, but that new Sienna sure looks to be "Complete", doesn't it?

-juice
  • Options
    Trying to convert FWD Taurus and Intrepid owners, who live in Minnesota, or any snow-belt state, to RWD cars will fail. Mark my words...

It will be like trying to sell ice cubes to Eskimos. It won't happen&#151;even with traction aids.

The other issue, besides traction, is packaging. You can get equal interior space into a smaller, lighter, more fuel-efficient FWD car, than you can in any RWD car.

Bob
  • Options
    They'll be happy to sell those customers SUVs or cross-overs, which are more profitable any how.

That leaves room for sedans to become sportier, less "rental-car".

I don't think they should change their whole line of cars to RWD, just the large cars and sporty lines of cars. So all Lincolns should be RWD, as well as SVT vehicles. The Taurus can remain FWD, though it too may be replaced by the Ford 500 crossover.

-juice
  • Options
    Bob,

I owned a '97 Neon ACR. I have driven my friend's '92 Integra GS-R many times.

I will never again own a FWD car with sporty pretentions. FWD has one purpose-- cost and space efficiency. It sure isn't performance or handling.

-Colin
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Juice: You beat me to the punch. With the advent of ABS, traction control, etc, RWD may still have a pulse. We're all biased towards AWD, of course, but the purists will still have some limited choices.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    The Magnum shows what the future Intrepid should be. I couldn't think of the name. V6/V8, AWD option, wagon bodystyle, all the ingredients are there. It may slot above the Intrepid, though.

Looking at some of the cars from LA:

AM DB AR1: at this price, who cares? The new-style front looks weird with that old-stye rear half.

Magnum: thumbs up, should be sportier than the minivan-based Pacifica.

Faction: why 3 doors? Anyone still buying these? Didn't the Rodeo Sport just get cancelled due to low volume? The Ford Fusion (EcoSport in Brazil) is more interesting.

T-Bird S/C: looks like a can of yellow spray paint exploded inside. And didn't an ad for the bird tease a Lotus driver for 0-60 sprints? Now they build a 0-60 edition?

Cinco Swim: give Kia credit, they try hard, and it's cute. But most people will just buy a Matrix instead.

-juice
  • Options
    Sorento Surf: I say make that monotone and mesh grille standard on all models, it can't cost any extra. The lift looks cool, too.

BMW 330PP: you think they feel pressure when mainstream sedans offer more power then their step-up model? You bet.

C230/320: I don't like the Kompressor engine much, but the 320 with AWD would be a gem of a car. Too rich for my blood, though.

EVO: if it only had a 6 speed and DCCD and more power and torque... LOL.

-juice
  • Options
    Grand Prix: it's no longer goofy, but the interior still looks mighty plasticky. The rear door is so swooped that access is still difficult. And they work on how far the door opens instead?

GTO: almost perfect. Lose the side skirts and the spoiler, that's it. I could do without the silver trim, but I'll take it.

Scion xA: you can tell it's Echo based by the center console and engine. Echo sells to old folks, why will this appeal to young folks? OK, styling is good on this one, and it's cheap. MP3 player may not be enough, though.

Scion xB: silly nameing convention, by the way. This one looks like any car straight from the Tokyo show. The interior looks ridiculous, how will that appeal to young folks? Plus it's $16 grand but Toyota will nickel-and-dime you up to $20 grand, where you can buy bigger and more substantial vehicles.

-juice
  • Options
    Again that's your opinion. There are thousands of Integra/RSX owners who beg to differ...

Just because you don't derive any pleasure out of dring a FWD, doesn't mean other can't. Different strokes for different folks...

Bob
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's impossible to make a sporty FWD car. Obviously the 97-01 Integra Type R stands as a halcyon example.

I'm saying that FWD's basic existence is counter to performance. Weight distribution, traction, handling dynamics... Do we really need to drag out the mechanics of this?

Once you accept that, sure some FWD cars are better than others; being RWD doesn't automatically mean a particular car is better than a given FWD car.

-Colin
  • Options
    you called them mundane a few posts back, suggesting they are totally void of fun. You're words Colin, not mine.

I've driven many a FWD cars, and have had a lot of fun in them too. Not everybody needs to drive 8/10s - 10/10s to get their jollies.

Forget the RSX, how about the Mini? You call that boring, or not fun to drive?

Bob
  • Options
    we're "arguing" about what's "fun" to drive!! Talk about irony...

Bob
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone here think the idea of an Impreza-based Saab worthy of comment? Or a Dodge SMART?

Bob
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Impreza-based Saab: garsh, I hope not. I'm half expecting an Impreza-based Cavalier/Sunfire in a couple of years, not to mention a Chevy Forester. When was the last time the Cavalier was redesigned (if ever), 1986?

Dodge Smart? Okay by me. I want to drive a Smart just to say I did. Not the roadster, the telephone booth.

Ed
  • Options
    I know it was rhetorical, but the Cavalier last saw a revision in 1995. That was the year it basically became a steel-bodied Saturn SC/SL. Different engines too, but they definitely are kissin' cousins.

-Colin
  • Options
    I think we'll see either a SAAB or Pontiac WRX at some point in time. I'd lean toward Pontiac because that's GM's "Excitement" line. Pontiac would have a nice lineup though...

GTO- Based on Monaro
    Bonne- Based on Commodore
    Grand Am- Based on WRX
    Grand Prix- Baed on Legacy Coupe/Sedan

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Colin. I know I was being a wise guy but it seems like eons ago that the Cav/Sunf got any attention from GM other than to add tack-on body kit.

Paisan makes a sad point. GM now looks to its acquisitions/subsidiaries (Holden, Saab, Subaru) to come up with interesting new designs. IMO Cadillac is the only division coming up with its own designs that may attract a broader market - but it has to contend with the negative brand image it's developed since, oh say, the Arab oil embargo in the mid-70's.

I really think it's time for us - I mean Americans - to rethink our automotive wants and needs, and for our vehicle manufacturers to respond in such a way that they can deliver product that will sell not just here but globally. (Currently it seems that response is just to gain control of manufacturers in other countries via mergers & acquisitions.) We are not going to become a nation of European-style micro-car drivers - this country's just too big and we have too much space to cover - but it wouldn't hurt for the big cities in the Northeast Corridor to move that way. The majority of people in this country want, need and can get by with a medium-sized sedan or wagon. Make them fun enough to drive so that they're not seen as bland, rental transportation and you've got a winner.

I thought Saturn might be that answer but I'm losing hope there. The products are just too crude and the L-series is too far dumbed down from the Opel/Vauxhall variants. Redesigning the lumpen Malibu so that, if you take your glasses off and squint the taillights look like '55 Chevy lamps, is not the answer. Ford could have the answer if they chose to reimport the current Mondeo, which is a big improvement over what we got as the Contour/Mystique. I guess I'm taking myself back to Paisan's post and thinking that something similar to the Holdens, Vauxhalls and Opels are what GM needs, with Chevy, Pontiac and Buick nameplates.

Okay, I realize that came close to a rant but I've had a hard time putting these thoughts into words that would make some kind of sense.

Ed
  • Options
    with the direction (or lack-there-of) that Saturn is showing. The new Ion is a miserable excuse for a "new" car, and their TV ads are even worse.

I agree, so far GM, IMO, still doesn't have a good grasp as to how to organize their product portfolio in a way that makes sense. Still&#151;way too many models, and not enough focus.

I have long said, for GM to get out of this never-ending model duplication situation, is for them to sell all their products in one massive "GM showroom," not individual brand showrooms which is what they've been doing forever. Maybe Cadillac should be separate, but all the other models should be sold together. That's the only way they'll get rid of the model duplication, that is strangling the corporation. Will it ever happen? I doubt it...

Bob
  • Options
    Yes, Bob, GM duped us for many years, from the 1930's up until again the late-1970's or early '80's. Setting us up with that Chevy -> Poniac -> Olds -> Buick -> Cadillac social stratum. All the same basic bodyshell, tack on different front and rear clips, trim and interiors and make us think we were getting entirely different cars. The only people who benefit from that now are antique car restorers.

Even with their big moneymaker, light trucks and SUVs, GM dupes us. There is no significant mechanical differences between Chevy and GMC trucks, yet somehow GM wants us believe GMC trucks are "professional grade." What are Chevy trucks then, for amateurs? That's insulting.

Ed
  • Options
    I'd like to see:

Pontiac -Sports Cars (GTO, Vette, WRX-clone)
    Chevy -Regular Cars (Malibu, Impala, Econobox, Caprice)
    GMC -Light Trucks, Vans and Mini-vans (Yukon, Envoy, Venture, Safari, Van, Pickups)
    Caddy -Luxury (Escalade/Denali, CTS, etc.)

-mike
  • Options
    This is something Alford P. Sloan, Harley Earl and the GM gang laid out back in the 1930s. Well it worked for 30-40 years, but it is clearly out of date in today's market. Look at the following:

Toyota/Lexus (mainstream brand/luxury brand)

Honda/Acura (mainstream brand/luxury brand)

Nissan/Infiniti (mainstream brand/ luxury brand)

Chrysler-Dodge/Mercedes (mainstream brand/luxury brand)

That's the formula for the future, as I see it.

Bob
  • Options
    A quote from a site I just found on GM history. One of the founders of GM was named William Crapo Durant! Little did he know... It now seems GM was doomed from the start!

<< The nucleus of the fledgling General Motors was the Buick Motor Car Company. It was formed in 1902 by David Buick in Detroit and later moved to Flint, Michigan, where William Crapo Durant, "king of the carriage makers," took control. Durant, who brashly predicted that "a million cars a year would someday be in demand," oversaw Buick&#146;s rise to become the second largest and most influential automobile manufacturer in the country. He also began organizing a network of suppliers and producers. >>

For a more detailed history of GM, check this site:

http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/

Bob
  • Options
    Bad English (subject/verb agreement) on my part in my last post ("are no significant mechanical differences between Chevy and GMC trucks") as well as misspelled "Pontiac." Apologies.

I do think GM needs to keep Buick as well. How to position it might be a challenge. I actually like the Regal GS as a more tasteful version of the Grand Prix GTP. I also thought the last Riviera was fairly daring as far as styling was concerned, even if not to everyone's taste. Maybe Buick could be grand touring? Resurrect Riviera, Invicta, GS, Grand National?

Ed
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    When my 'ex' and I were dating and first married, he had a Buick Grand Sport Stage 1. It was banana cream with tan interior. He paid $5200 for it in March of 1970 when he returned from a tour of duty in Vietnam with the Marine Corps. That was a fine car. I remember you didn't want to step on the accelerator too hard unless you had your seat beat on ... felt like it would put you in the back seat.
    Would I have been as interested if he hadn't had that car? <shrugs> Moot point now, but it was a FINE car ... I loved driving it ...
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Okay, so it begins -- my questions on baby stuff as I near parenthood.

My wife and I are looking into different car seats and are becoming overwhelmed by the choices. Our current question: infant or convertible seat?

Which did you choose and why? I've read through the pros and cons of each but can't come to a decision on which way to go. Also, any particular brands that worked well?

Ken
  • Options
    You'll appreciate one of the carrier type seats early on. These typically have a base that gets secured by the belts and then the seat clicks into the base. This seat came with our stroller (one of the EvenFlo Travel systems).

Once Brooke was 6 months or so, we switched to a Fisher Price Safe Embrace II. It's a rear or forward facing seat. Started with it facing rear, then at 1 year we switched it to forward facing.

-Brian
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    We avoided the two-piece (base & seat) versions because of concerns regarding potential separation of the two in case of impact. Our newborn/infant rear-facing seat was a simple affair, came in & out of the car easily anyway. There are lots of choices out there, go for sturdiest for the best price. Once ours were able to ride sitting forward, we used the version that had the shoulder harness belts attached to the padded bar that rested in front of the child. Relatively easy in/out & secure ride at the same time. With our last two arriving only 17 months apart, we actually wore one of those out!

The one thing you absolutely want to check, regardless of which brand & model, is whether you can secure them properly in your car(s). That's more important than style, model, or brand. Don't buy from anyone who won't allow you to take 'em out of the box & try them before you buy. Lots of communities have free child seat fitting clinics if you need 'em. Check with your local health district.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!
    Paul

PS: Check with me a few years from now about booster seats :)