Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 535d X Lease Very Confusing, First Time.

sub2500sub2500 Member Posts: 9
edited October 2014 in BMW
Msrp $64,900, sell $53,600 w/ 11000 mi. (inside company car) @ $635. mo. I think the rate is 3.3 my best buy rate is 2.39. Really want to buy but can't afford $900. mo. Where do I start trying to figure out if I'm getting a good deal and/or whether to lease or buy?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Should You Lease or Buy Your Car? will get you started. Then follow the breadcrumbs back to a bunch more leasing articles.
  • Options
    sub2500sub2500 Member Posts: 9
    Some good info there but none of the articles pinpoint exactly where the money loss or amount that is over what you would have paid in a buy, is in a lease. I understand the good points of a lease and that there is no equity, but I'm trying to estimate what my loss would be (and where it comes from) as opposed to a buy.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    sub2500 said:

Some good info there but none of the articles pinpoint exactly where the money loss or amount that is over what you would have paid in a buy, is in a lease. I understand the good points of a lease and that there is no equity, but I'm trying to estimate what my loss would be (and where it comes from) as opposed to a buy.

If your goal is to ultimately own the car, then buying from the beginning is your best bet for lowest total cost. Leasing adds some extra fees ($725-$925 acq.fee) which you wouldn't have to pay if buying the car.

Leasing works best, when you truly want to only have the car for the lease term, and/or you have business tax deductibility for a large lease payment that would be restricted if you were depreciating the asset.

Why do you want to lease, if your goal is to own the car?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator