Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger - II

Comments

• Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    You still havent provided sources that claim the Ranger beats the Tacoma in performance categories.

Also, why are you ignoring the fact that the Tacoma is a 3/4 ton truck , and the ranger is a 1/2 ton? Any comments?
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Spoog, you keep on proving over and over again you know nothing about 4x4 offroading, with comments like "climbing OVER boulders or rocks???" And it proves you don't own a Tacoma too. If I were you I would turn tail now and scoot young man.
    Fact is you don't like to hear about how totally different the trucks were equipped in the Four Wheeler stand off. And the almost 5K difference in price. And how the 0-60 is only a .6 second difference. You only want to read what suits you. And how about the crash test results? skimmed right over that one huh?
    The Ranger/Mazda is the best buy/value compact 4x4 on the road today.
  • Options
    Damn CP, you hammered it home and did some serious homework. Tip of the hat.
    See you in the hills, In my Ford Ranger!
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    A fair question
    Well I think the basic config Ranger would be slightly over a half ton at 1260 Lb but payload package 2 takes you to 1520 in a Ranger.

Package #1- 1/2 ton, Package #2= 3/4 ton

Now as I understand the Tacoma they have one payload package and that is 1679 Lb, about 150 lb more than a Ranger. Could it be that they are considering, due to no leg room, that you could never put a person in the extra cab area so you can carry more payload?

By the way for 150 bucks, installed, I will be getting overload spring system that takes over when my 1500 lbs is reached and extends my carrying capacity to 2400lb? Thats a ton + by my calculations. Not that I would ever haul much more than maybe 1500 lb. I will share the name when I get it but it looks real sharp. That will push my truck cost up to around 19.5K. . .HMM a 4X extra cab, V6, AC, AMFMCD, four wheel ABS, 31X10.5 tire BFG's, bug screen, tonnaue covered bed, spray in bed liner in a bed that will hold a ton, for maybe a bit over $19,500 before taxes etc. Oh shoot I am getting Rancho RS 5000s so add another 225 bucks so MAYBE I will touch 20K invested so far. And it is a real sharp metal flake grey color.

What would you put in your Tacoma that weighs that much spoog?
  • Options
    Looks like your playing "catch-up" again Cspounser. Fiddly-doo. Everything you WANT to get I got the same day I bought my truck.

YOu and Vince seem to be saying, " well, if I just get this aftermarket part it would be equal".

What you SHOULD be saying is "damn I wish Ford offered some of those GREAT features that Toyota does."
  • Options
    Great features a a VERY STEEP PRICE. You don't seem to get it. Even as I try to show you in your own article YOU posted. There was about a 5K difference in price. Even with 3K I can still put on aftermarket parts and match the Tacoma and still come out 1K ahead. Do the math.
    Once again, My Ranger absolutly loaded at 19,600. I have put about 1300 into it with aftermarket parts/upgrades. I am still at about 21K, far far less than a comparably equipped Tacoma.
  • Options
    Well I have allways been honest on this so here it is. Found the limits of the Ranger today.
    Befor you jump in spoog the turbo, the locker and all the HP in the world would not have helped.
    I had the wife, myself and the 2 exchange students, all their gear and also filled up with fuel, So I was maybe 350=400 lbs. heaveier than Ii usually climb with. Music Pass was very muddy in some areas, real deep and puddles of h20 maybe 8 inches deep but ok to navigate until the last 1/4 mile where it was an icy snow packed 45-50 degree climb. Almost made it but saw white stuff flyin up by the windows, forward movement stopped then the trees started going backwards.
    I remember mouthing "W.T.F.
    While sliding backwards, the 4 liter stalled so there I was going 5mph or so (seemed like 50-60mph) with no power. What I did was try to stear into a tree, which I did and hit the branches and then the trunk with the tail gate. No damage(Built Ford Tough). This made 2 elk
    hunters from Minn real happy cause they thought I was going to stear into them and their ATV which were in the clearing right there.

Hey spoog, more than once I have said that Ford should look at some of the options you mention and it would seem they will do that in the 2001 Adrenalin. Also, this year they added that stainless steel front skid. But I think that is overkill as you would have to take a serious bounce to hit that stuff that it covers. It is a good 11 inches above the ground. There are many things I like about Tacoma. But I doubt you can put 2 teenagers in the back seats for a 325 mile run with only minimal complaints in a Tacoma. I think Tacoma should add some small things that Ranger has like rear bed lighting, Tach standard on a 4X not requireing an option and storage space hidden in the rear area. Just some creature comforts.
  • Options
    The Ranger was doing real fine until the top. Over 20 deg slant on rocks, mud etc but the softpack snow on top of frozen ground was not conducive to a successful run.
    The hunters said they thought I was going to make it. However, they told me later that they did not make it on a Polaris 400 ATV which has a bit better overall climbing ability than the Ranger.
  • Options
    Vinnie , Fourwheeler has stated that the features on the TRD are an excellent deal.

Cspousner writes

"Music Pass was very muddy insome areas, real deep and puddles of h20 maybe 8
    inches deep but ok to navigate until the last 1/4
    mile where it was an icy snow packed 45-50 degree
    climb. Almost made it but saw white stuff flyin up
    by the windows, forward movement stopped then thetrees started going backwards.
    I remember mouthing "W.T.F.While sliding backwards, the 4 liter stalled so
    there I was going 5mph or so (seemed like 50-60mph)
    with no power. What I did was try to stear into a
    tree, which I did and hit the branches and then
    the trunk with the tail gate. No damage(Built FordTough). This made 2 elk
    hunters from Minn real happy cause they thought I
    was going to stear into them and their ATV which
    were in the clearing right there."

That does sound like a tricky spot, but I can think of two things on the Tacoma that would have helped immensly. Number one being the clutch start cancel switch. You said as you lost traction, and pull, the ranger started to slide backwards, then stalled. If you had the clutch/cancel switch, you could have left your foot on the brake, and depressed the switch. THis would enable you to fire up your engine WITHOUT
    having to depress the clutch, which causes slippage. Its a great little device.

Secondly, a locker would have provided you with alot more traction. alot more. Im not saying the Tacoma would blow through that area, but a locker and clutch cancel switch would have made a difference.
  • Options
    parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    hey spoog, did you miss the crash safety tests?
    Toy = 2 stars, Ford = 4 stars

And here is accurate payload data:
    Ranger Option #1 Option #2
    4x2 1260lbs 1620lbs
    4x4 1260lbs 1520lbs

What did you say the max Tacoma's was? I think it is 1630lbs. (ie 10lbs difference.) I call that pretty much equal.

PS. One more note. Typically aftermarket products offer more variety and more performance at a lower cost than what you get added by the factory or any dealer. And you can customize your options to meet your specific needs. With the TRD, you are forced to buy what they offer. Is that a good deal? I'm sure you know all of those add-ons are marked up. I bet even Edmunds list what each option is invoiced at and sold at. Go price each one then compare it to an aftermarket store.
    BTW, it's not about "catching up" as you like to say. It's about passing up for less money!

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    Spoog, I know it was easy to buy the Tacoma TRD and all of its toys. But you could buy the base 4x4 Xcab, V6 Tacoma and make it better than the TRD for less total money.

So just talking Toyota for a minute, I still think you could have spent your money better. You could have gotten some beefier tires, better looking rims, super charger, better (ie thicker) skid plate, high speed detroit locker (not that toyo junk) and many other options for less than you spent on the TRD/toy super charger package.

Less money spent with more performance is what most people look for. You would have a custom "eye catching" truck that out performed all the TRDs running down the road.

I think you miss the point. You say everyone is catching up to the TRD. But that is wrong. Everyone is passing up the performance of the TRD for less money (be it Ford or Toyota.)

Just one more vantage point to consider.

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    And you'll also void you warranty...

-wsn
  • Options
    1999 Ford Ranger: Overall Rating 57%

1999 Toyota Tacoma: Overall Rating 60%

That's from carpoint review of both (D. Heraud's)

What where the previos carpoint links for?

Spoog/Cpouser/Vince8/Others is it safe to say that the Ranger is the best buy for 4x4 trucks and the Tacoma is the best 4x4 truck?

-wsn
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Just take a look at what this site says about S10's "Spotty build quality, inferior-grade interior trim, low seating positions, poor crash-test scores". There is no need to get all huffy and defensive just get what you believe is best for you and you can afford. Of course a BMW costs more then a Hyundai but you have to pay for performance and reliability. I drive an 88 Toyota 4x4 with 115,00 and recently drove around the country and I MEAN AROUND THE COUNTRY and would trust my truck to drive it around the world if it was possible. How many S-10 or Ranger owners would do that with there trucks. I am about to purchase a new Tacoma and only made that decision after driving everything else. As far as reliability, I would rather continue to drive my rusted out 88 Toyota then get either the Ford or Chevy and the Nissan is about as ugly as it could be. I realize that I have become much more objective then I intended but I could not possibly go from a truck that has not given me a single problem to gambling on the quality of another. Toyota trucks are legendary for there toughness and reliability. What are S-10s and Rangers known for? (Rhetorical Question)
  • Options
    I know we are talking about the Ranger here but I thought a message I posted in another area applies here also. I think it says something about the Toyota when every forum in the Pickup section is this truck or that truck and how it stacks up against the Toyata.
  • Options
    Mvigilianco, As for your question, I would take my ranger from Mexico to Canada, down to California and accross to New York. I've owned all types cars/trucks from Honda, Toyota, to Chevys, Fords, and Dodges. I haven't found one to last longer than any of the others. The difference is what breaks and how you can fix them. As you know, if your toyota motor breaks, throw it in the trash. I had a Chevy I put 270,000 miles on it. It had the 350/400 turbo set up. Even at that mileage, I could have thrown your toyota in the back and drove to from Texas to California. Wanna try pulling two tons a couple thousand miles??? I didn't think so.

As for your eggs part (II), yep. And there are also topics of Ford vs. Chevy. Nissan vs. Ford, and Dodge vs. Chevy....so your point was?????
    This is a forum, so Toy vs. Ford or Toy vs. Chevy makes sense. Oh I get it. You are saying that in the Ford vs. Chevy topic, they are comparing them to Toyotas.... NOT.
  • Options
    Well if the Toyota is so bullet proof, why do you worry about voiding your warranty?????
    BTW, that is BS, changing tires or adding after market nerf bars and skip plates will NOT void any warranties.

And since a super charger is totally useless off-road, why add one??

And since the detroit locker is truly bullet proof, who needs a warranty on that?

What you need is good insurance and upgraded seat belts (like 5 point harnesses, etc...) Or take some of the money you save and buy better bumpers to increase that crash rating. (he..he, I couldn't resist.)

Happy motoring.
  • Options
    parkman50, Lets not forget the scope of this forum. We are comparing compact pickups against compact pickups. If I wanted a full size pickup for towing or hauling I would be an idiot to purchase a Toyota compact pickup, I wouldn't even suggest that a Tundra is in the same league as full sized Fords or Chevys. But for a compact pickup I would have to choose the Tacoma. I dont know as much as you about rebuilding engines because I know that if I take care of my truck it will last me at least 200,000 miles and by then I will be sick of it and get rid of it anyway. Here is what I can say that no one can argue with. Since I got my truck and I convinced my parents to get a Camry instead of another Ford we have spent much less time in the garage's customer waiting room. We could argue for days but I would rather not stir up anymore ancient truck identity rage. I am sure your choice of vehicles is sound.
  • Options
    Preformance
    Ford Ranger C6 4.0L 5sp. man.:
    0-60 9.1 sec, 1/4 mile 17.2 sec

Tacoma 3.4 V6, 5sp. man.:
    0-60 11.4, 1/4 mile 18.5sec.

It was in the same article just cited.

Oh what a feeling....toyota?!? Second on race day?
  • Options
    "Preformance
    Ford Ranger C6 4.0L 5sp. man.:
    0-60 9.1 sec, 1/4 mile 17.2 sec

Tacoma 3.4 V6, 5sp. man.:
    0-60 11.4, 1/4 mile 18.5sec.

It was in the same article just cited.

Oh what a feeling....toyota?!? Second on race day?"

lol. YOu know that stat is incorrect. ANy other site and review pins the tacoma as the faster truck. Nice one.
  • Options
    Ill say it again. The tacoma is rated as a 3/4 ton truck, the ranger as a half ton. Check the insurance sites. The Tacomas payload and springs are MUCH stiffer. In fact, ALL tacomas are tated this way. Be it 4x4 or 4x2.
  • Options
    Why would two trucks, both with 1600lb payloads, be rated different? I understand you looked at some insurance site and got your information. But I posted the facts (options) available on the ranger, so I can't understand why you argue this point.

So please explain your point about stiffer springs and payload. (I only see a few pound difference, not really worth mentioning.)

mvigilainco, Yep, it is certainly your choice and you can buy whatever. But I owned a 92 Tauras, that I never put in the shop other than brakes once and oil changes. I'm now on my second ranger and I have been extremely pleased (no shop visits.) I understand your loyalties to toyota. Hence if it is giving you good service, stick with it. That's why I chose my 2nd ranger. The first one was bullet proof as was my 92 Tauras.

Happy motoring.
  • Options
    "Ranger stands out in the class of compact pickups."

http://kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.rp?kbb&&11&cc99ranger
  • Options
    CP, sounds like white knuckler in Colorado! Glad noone was hurt, or any property damaged.
    These Tacoma owners are all ticked because they paid so much for an aluminum can that will crunch in the slightes ding. This may be why I don't see any where I take my Ranger also.
    Thanks Parkman for trying to get spoog to see the whole picture about the TRD. The TRD is a marketing gimmick, and he got snagged. He doesn't know about the detroit locker, his is from Tokyo. And he doesn't know what a Paxton is either, or a K&N, or a ......
    CP, taking off this weekend into the MT Hood Forest. First snow fell and about 5 of us are making it a day to play in the snow on Saturday. It has been clear for the last two days and hope not much of it has melted yet. One guy has a Jeep with a 6cyl and its decked to the nines with lockers on both axles, winch and so on. The other guy going is a newbee to the offroad experience. He actually bought himself a Chevy S-10 ZR2!, could prove to be interesting. Another guy is going with his Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4, and another with an older Bronco. And of course me! With my awesome Tacoma killer! :-)) Ranger 4.0 5spd XLT offroadpkg, 3.73 limited slip, 31" all terrains, Should be quite the trip. There will be enough of us so if anyone runs into any problems we can pull each other out.
    One thing I have found in my years of running trails is that it is the driver that makes the vehicle perform. The vehicle could be decked out with all the latest 4x equipment but the driver may not know how to use it. My point in the TRD option. Most buy it for the sticker not knowing really when the locker or clutch start cancel is supposed to be used.
    This is Ford Country!
    See you in the hills!
  • Options
    spoog:
    You mean everything in print is not correct?
    Hmmmm, could be the same about the Tacoma. . .

On a serious note, Maybe the locker would have helped a bit but the front broke traction first. Do not forget I have the BFG AT KO's which I consider to be a bit higher up the line than the Goodyears. I may have stalled when I hit the tree but do not recall, brakes were not functional but I do not know if I was sliding with locked wheels or free wheeling down, I think the latter cause of the ABS. one person told me to disable ABS if i try that truck again. Not to worry on that happening again. It was a 100-125 ft slide so it was all over too quick to react really, just ride it out.
    But thanks for the tip. Now MAYBE the extra HP would have allowed me to dig in but i do not think so. The angle was too steep.
    I will show you the pick later in the week when I get the film back.
  • Options
    I was about 10-20 feet from the top. No truck damage but the tree boughs did soften the blow. Hit at maybe 5-10mph.
    I should have followed my instincts and stopped but the view up at the top is the one from my web site.
    Ill post some pictures of the "event" with the Ukraine girls playing in the snow next to the truck and the 2 hunters we came 10 or so ft from hitting.
  • Options
    Well I guess my whole concentration was on looking for that tree to hit and when it apperard in the driverside mirror I mannaged to steer to it. It was about 10 or so ft off the centerline of the road which was on lane at that point.
    Next stop would have been over the flat spot, and down a less snow covered less steep section then into trees, about 100ft further down from where I stopped.
    But OF IMPROTANCE,
    I DROVE OUT OF THE TREE, NO PROBLEM AND NO VISABLE DAMAGER.
    I just was not foolish enough to ask my wife if she wanted another run at it.
  • Options
    Well I guess my whole concentration was on looking for that tree to hit and when it apperard in the driverside mirror I mannaged to steer to it. It was about 10 or so ft off the centerline of the road which was on lane at that point.
    Next stop would have been over the flat spot, and down a less snow covered less steep section then into trees, about 100ft further down from where I stopped.
    But OF IMPROTANCE,
    I DROVE OUT OF THE TREE, NO PROBLEM AND NO VISABLE DAMAGER.
    I just was not foolish enough to ask my wife if she wanted another run at it.
  • Options
    Do you even know what your talking about? Do you even know who TRD is? ITs one of the best aftermarket performance parts makers in the world.
    It just so happens that they are of such high quality, and that there performance numbers are so consistent in their applications, that Toyota deemed them worthy enough to incorporate into dealer options.

The TRD locker is JUST as good as the Detroit, if not better. On many of the lockers, you need to get out and lock them manually. Not in the Yota, its all done from a beautiful looking factory switch on the dash.

Performance Truck mag and 4wheeler have SAID that the TRD supercharger is better than other aftermarket chargers in terms of power, effeciency, and reliability, not to mention that dealer installed chargers are warrantied right along with the motor. YOu really need to get your head out of your [non-permissible content removed] Vince. YOur nothing but a jealous punk who couldnt afford the extra few bucks to get what you really wanted. Your pathetic behaviour is completely apparent.

The SUSPENSION, shocks, front stabilazer bar are all tuned and high strung for offroad performance in the TRD. The TRD a "gimmick" hardly. Like 4wheeler says, " Toyota offers features that other trucks simply dont, and they all work WELL
    That is why the tacoma is the pickup of the year".

The brakes are superior to the Ranger, and the Taco even has 6 lugs for the wheels, not the typical 5 for the Ranger and cars.

EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE CATEGORY< EVERY SONGLE ONE VINNIE!!!!

yeeeeehaaaaaWWWW!!!
  • Options
    4 wheeler pickup of the year:

"WINNER: TOYOTA TACOMA TRD

Although the compact Tacoma XtraCab itself is not completely new, the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) suspension and locking rear differential package is. The TRD Off-Road Package offers oversized fender flares, alloy wheels, 31-inch tires, Bilstein shocks, slightly softer spring rates, and an electromechanical, button-actuated rear locking differential, all for $1,690.

Our Surfside Green test unit came with the 3.4-liter, dual-overhead cam, 24-valve engine and five-speed manual transmission. The Tacoma came factory-equipped with the lowest axle gears of the test: 4.10:1. It was this combination of excellent gearing (First gear for the factory five-speed is 3.83:1) that made testers comment about how readily the Tacoma jumped off the line. In fact, during track testing, the Tacoma was substantially faster than the others, both loaded and unloaded (see page 30). Tract ion came courtesy of a more aggressive tread in the 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler three-stage GSA. We found it supplied surprisingly good cornering power on pavement, with plenty of potential for aired-down trail running.
    As well as the Tacoma performed on the track, it was on the trail where the premium import seemed most comfortable. Best-in-class ground clearance, the most aggressive tread of the bunch, and a crawl ratio of better than 40:1 made the Tacoma everyone' s choice for hill climbs and steep backside descents. Even our resident auto-tranny diehards had to admit that the lively throttle response, sure-grip clutch, and built-to-work gearing meshed together as well as any championship-caliber team. In each perf ormance-related category of our test, the Toyota won.

It's not often that our collection of testers agree on anything (in fact, never), but this year's Pickup Truck of the Year was a unanimous decision. Praises relating to the TRD suspension mentioned its ability to control rutted, seriously choppy terra in better than any other vehicle we'd driven. One tester went so far as to note that during a few moments of an effortless dry-wash run, it seemed the spirit of Ivan Stewart had taken over his body. This is a truck that can go slow or go fast, on pavement or off.

Ultimately, in addition to a strong engine, good tires, and supremely tuned suspension, the clutch defeat switch (the only one in a truck sold in the US.), lever-operated transfer case, and pushbutton locking rear differential were the icing on a toug h-truck cake. Although you have to pay a premium for a premium package, the TRD Tacoma, dollar for dollar, is the best on- and off-highway compact package (maybe of any truck) we've seen. This truck has features the others just don't offer, and they all w ork. And that's why it's our 1998 Pickup Truck of the Year.

Copyright © 1999 Peters"

TRD a "gimmick"? If whomping everything in site and winning every single performance category is a gimmick, SIGN ME UP!!!!!!
  • Options
    It is possible that that article on the Tacoma acceleration is correct.
    According to http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/ the specs of a Tacoma V6 extracab 5 speed manual, the differential ration on that vehicle is:

3.15 to 1

Not steller for racing or for 4 wheeling for that matter.

If the compare was done against a Ranger 4.0 with a 3.73 or even the 4.10, the Ranger would or should gain speed much faster than a Tacoma with a 3.15 rearend.
  • Options
    Why do you care about voiding your warranty, is a stupid question, like why would i drive without insurance, or why would i want the free health care my employer offers me.

But since you brought it up. Changing tires, rearends, and adding lockers may void your warranty. Their is an example below from Toyota's website.

"TIRES: SIZE
    Can I change the size of my tires?
    Toyota does not recommend modifying the vehicle in any manner, including changing the original tire size or the suspension. The vehicle meets all applicable federal safety standards in its original form, and modification could affect the safety of the vehicle and remove it from Department of Transportation compliance. Also, should a condition occur that could be attributed to any type of modification, all warranty coverage of the affected areas would be void."

Again confusing fact with fiction
    -wsn
  • Options
    keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    spoog,

"...on some of the lockers you need to get out & lock them manually..." WHAT LOCKERS??? granted, i may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what "locker" have you had to get out & manually lock? all the "locking differentials" i've been in contact with were either locked, or actuated by an air compressor. (ie: the ARB Air Locker)

also, i've read in past posts (possibly another toyota topic) that the locker will only work in low-range. i won't argue that either way. however, how does the locker in the "PreRunner" work? how do you put an automatic, 2-wheel drive truck into "low range"? are they calling 1st gear in the tranny low range? what gives???

keith24
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Went off-roading this past weekend in NY. There were seven TRD's and three 4x4 Tacomas. On one hill approximately 150' from the base to the top where the angle was about 40 degrees it was covered with boulders and loose dirt. Three TRD's made it and the other four TRD's only got about 50' up before backing down. Even an ordinary Tacoma 4x4 made it to the top only on brute force. A lot depends on the driver. I was one of the the TRD's that made it. TRD's does not provide 100% that obstacles may be overcome in life.

Hey Cpousnr glad no harm came to you or your truck.

Barlitz,
    I am not a loyal NY fan. Okay I always did like the Celtics and the Patriots. Yes and once upon a time liked the Whalers. Well, next week I will be in your neck of the woods. Plymouth for a week and later Freeport, Me. Another VACATION. Maybe I will munch on some cranberries at Plymouth.
  • Options
    Why should you car about voiding your warranty? It was a stupid question. I meant it very sarcastically. I was implying (as many of you believe) that Toyota is indestructable, so why do you Tacoma guys even need a warranty.

PS. Changing the tires does NOT void the warranty. Changing the rear-end would void the rear-end warrantly, but I suppose you would get a warranty from the company you buy the rear-end from.

Hey spoog, if "Tacoma beats Ranger in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY" like you love to say, why is it's crash rating so LIFE THREATENING for the Tacoma.

IMO, crash rating is the single most important factor on any vehicle purchase. 2 stars is simply not acceptable. I have a family that depends on me, I guess you don't.

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    hindsite:
    Thanks buddy for the comment. Nothing damaged except maybe ego and oh my god go I owe my wife bigtime. . .
    Too low a spead, real icy conditions( further review found that section to be compacted into ice so nothing to grip on) and an overeager driver wanting to impress the Ukrainian students with American sport.

To sum your story and mine, sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

I was just glad that tree was where it was.

parkman:
    Lighten up just a LITTLE . . .
    But I DID rear crash test my Ranger.
    Correct, Ranger 4 stars accross the board for crash test front and side.
    "Built Ford tough. . ."

Pictures went in today of my "adventure/E Ticket thrill ride. Back in a few days.
  • Options
    Had a package waiting for me at the door at lunch from Kurtz Kustom. It is my KKM Tru Rev induction setup. Will install tonight and report tomorrow.
    Got the Billet Oil cap installed and does it look sharp. Am looking for a pre-96 4.0L top of engine thingy to chrome and install.

See you Tacoma owners, we Ranger guys are like a kid in a candy store with accessories.
  • Options
    "See you Tacoma owners, we Ranger guys are like a
    kid in a candy store with accessories."

Thats right. PLaying "catch-up" again. Why have second best when you can get the best?

I put my extra money into my musky and walleye boat.

By the way, I can garuantee you that the Tacoma has more aftermarket accessories for it than Ranger.

Keep trying Cspounser. Maybe one day your truck will be a performance machine by the time you finish messing with it. And who knows, by the time you get up to snuff with my Tacoma TRD, you may save 100$ and have hundreds of non-gaurantedd, non warrantied parts and accesories stuck to your rig waiting.....just waiting to malfunction.

ahhhh...........
  • Options
    So how come the toyota site, http://www.toyota.com lists the max clearance of the bottom of the line Tacoma as 6.4 inches and edmunds and other sites lists the bottom line Ranger as having 6.7 inches clearance?
    A little inconsistancy?

You got the Toyota anthem only halfway.

"ahhhh...........lieeeeeeeed"

(I lied for those of you living in Riolinda)

"Oh what a feeling, Toyota" cause that feeling is dragging my Tacoma bottom while a Ranger clears the obstruction.
    Check my source spoog in both cases. Given that Toyota uses a standard rear differential carrier, there is no way that you can squeeze 6.4 inches up to the 10.7-12.4 inches clearance claimed by the Tacoma.
    Just curious, you know they really call the vehicle team the
    "Toyota Urban Research Development" team.
    Do the acronym
  • Options
    "...I can prove the Tacoma has more aftermarket accessories for it than the Ranger." spoog.

You might be right, but it has been my experience that Domestics have more accessories for sale in the performance shops I frequent. Anyway, I would be interested in your source for that comment.

cpsounr, OK, this is me getting lighter. And now I have fired up a Cigar. Is this what you meant?? You did say "light up" right?
    PS. (ranger side impact rating is 5 stars.)

Glad to see you, the wife, and your company hit the tree and laughed later. When are you posting the pictures and where?

Happy motoring.
  • Options
    some are there now including the road I went up when it happened, in better condition I might say.

http://members.aol.com/Cpousnr/index1.html

I have a replacement pic of the first pic with the truck all muddied up from the run.

Ok, light up. Just dont get the site mother angry.

Yes it is a safe vehicle.
  • Options
    "PS. Changing the tires does NOT void the warranty.
    Changing the rear-end would void the rear-end
    warrantly, but I suppose you would get a warranty
    from the company you buy the rear-end from."

According to the Toyota website it may. Any modification that you make to any product that negativly effects the original product will in fact VOID any warranty. Good luck getting the rearend manufacture to fix the the Toyota part you might blow up. I work with vendors all day, and things don't work that way. Try throwing an aftermarket SC on a truck, and when it cooks the engine (not always, but can happen) try getting the manufacture of the vehicle to replace you engine. Good luck......you'll need it

Cpouser: Glad to hear your OK.

-wsn
  • Options
    wsn, I didn't say the rear end manufacturer would replace a toyota part, just the rear end if it malfunctioned. I seriously doubt toyota would void the tranny (or other part) warranty based on changing the rear-end type (assuming you matched stock gear ratios offered by Toyota.) Changing the tires should be kept within reason, but I also doubt that toyota could void the warranty based on "matching" the TRD's tire sizes. Whew, that was grueling.

OK, my intended point was that you could match or exceed the TRD performance with "like" aftermarket parts for less money.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    good looking truck...I got the deep wedgewood blue metallic clearcoat, but I really like the way your gray looks. I couldn't find one here (with what I wanted.) My choice was between green, white, or the dark blue I got. Anyway, nice choice. And the views looked great.

BTW, what is the clear tank for in the back?

Happy Motoring.
  • Options
    200 gal water tank. I have some property and am watering 100 trees a couple of times a month. Now you know why I have 20,000 miles in 10 months.

I had the choice of black, champaign, jalapeno(gag) or toreador red.

I amd sorry man about the acronym. I, I must have hit my head in the slide, I, I got,yeah thats right, spooged.
  • Options
    I was trying to get up to that valley view area shown on one of the pictures when I slid. It is about 1/4 mile the direction the truck is pointing.
  • Options
    katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    i know it's not a race truck but being a dedicated gear head for years i raced my v6,x-cab,5spd,4wd tacoma at the track and went 16.5 at 81 mph beating the kid next to me in a ford probe gt!so all that nonsense about a ranger being qiucker is all cleared up now.
  • Options
    lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    Was that probe a long bed or short bed?
  • Options
    I find this extremely hard to believe a 5spd Probe GT can be beat by a 4x4 vehicle. First due to the extra weight the 4x4 has to pull, second a Probe GT does 0-60 in the 7.3 - 7.6 range, and third because these two vehicles are geared totally different. I would believe you would beat a pre 1993 Probe GT with the lame 4cyl turbo engine, yes. The Duratec V6 mated to a 5spd, no way Jose! Anyone who knows what this engine can do in a Counter/Mystique knows what I mean.
    Spoog just doesn't get it. He is driving around in the lowest rated crash tested compact truck on the market today. Can anyone say coffin? And he obviously can't do math because several people have tried to tell this guy that a TRD is way way more than a Ranger XLT offroad pkg, and even if you added aftermarket parts the TRD would still cost more.
    I go up to MT Hood this weekend and will take my camera with me. CP, you said somthing about taking the pictures someplace to be put on a disk as a TIFF file? Also, I will need instructions on how to post them.
    Ford Ranger, by far the best, safest compact truck on the market today.
    Ford Country!
    See you in the hills.
This discussion has been closed.