Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

I think I needed to create a message board where we talk about crazy old obscure cars that we saw on the way to work, in the neighborhood, or at the junkyard.

I'll start:

2 blocks from my house, someone owns a red Yugo with a flapping American flag hanging on its rear!

On my way to work, I saw both a DeLorean and an AMC Spirit 4WD station wagon with wood paneling.

How bout you?
Tagged:

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,596
    on the Classic Cars board.

Saw a Ferrari 360 Modena the other night. For more details, see "Ferrari sighting" under the "Ferrari the Ultimate Classic" topic
    (Classic cars board)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• This isn't anything exotic, but it was somewhat surprising -
    I saw a newer Saturn SC coupe with the full "rice" treatment - giant rear wing, coffee can muffler, clear tail-lights, lowered suspension, etc... It's the first time I've seen a Saturn like that.
  • I've never seen a Saturn SC like that.

andys, I never noticed that message board. :(
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    A what I thought was a 90s Chev. Corsica
    Looked closer and it was a Pontiac Tempest.
    Rear end the same as chev. but it had a
    pontiac-esc double egg crate nose. It had
    Canadian plates on it..........geo
  • Has anyone ever seen a Pontiac Firefly?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,902
    ...but there was a bad horror movie called "Valentine" that came out in 2001, that had a Firefly in it. I had to do a double-take at first, because it just looked like an old Chevy Sprint. The grille was a bit different though.

I wouldn't recommend renting the movie just to see the car though, unless you're into bad horror movies!
  • Yes I saw a Pontiac Firefly at least once when I was up in Toronto, Ontario last week. The Firefly is the Canadian market version of the late Geo/Chevy Metro. Also saw a couple of new Lamborghini Murcielagos as well.

Here in my neck of the woods, Ferrari Modena 360's are pretty common sight as well as new Mini Coopers, etc.

By the way, during the last 6 months I have seen 3 times a white Mercedes A140 and even a new Smart driven around a Mercedes Benz dealer.

Thi sis the happening place if you want to see fancy cars and beaters sharing road space.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    "I seen a peanut stand,
    Heard a rubber band,
    Seen a needle that winked its eye!

But I'd be done seen
    About e-ev'rythin'
    When I see a Fi-i-re fly..."

Sorry. Dumbo, you know. Great picture.

Not this AM, but last Friday, I happened on a 4-door Maverick with a carriage roof, wire rims, whitewalls and a full-on gold package. Oh yeah, it had hood scoops too.

Why?
  • Who has seen a Pontiac Tempest?
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Everytime I see a Contour, I see a car that Ford of America really destroyed to save it's 3.0 pushrod pos Taurus. Now they are doing their best to drive people away from Focus.

Ten years from now, someone will be seeing a nice green '96 V6 Camry, and they'll say, "That's the one wilcox bought back 16 years ago...it still runs real good."
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I saw a pristine-looking '88 Cadillac Cimarron at a restaurant parking lot in Connecticut yesterday. Like, who in their right mind keeps one of those?
  • I've seen a Pontiac Tempest in Western PA, too. It even had PA plates. It's exactly the same as the old Chevy Corsica, with Pontiac badges.
  • Has anyone ever seen:

1996 Caterham 21
    1989 BMW Z1
    2000 Pagani Zonda C12S
    2000 TVR Tamora
    1975 Maserati Merak
    1989 Alfa Romeo SZ
    1994 Schuppan 962CR
    2000 Ford FR200
  • None of the above
  • I've seen a Maserati Merak!

I saw a Bora from the same era on I-684 in New York (great road to go fast on.)

• lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    I wish I'd posted this before that list of interesting cars, but I DID see a Nash Metropolitan convertible today.

Maserati Bora.... Nash Metropolitan... never mind
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,145
    ...not far from my neighborhood. It's outside a repair shop and is primered. Looks like an aborted restoration project.
  • There's an orange Rambler sedan about 2 blocks from my house, but I don't know if that counts as obscure.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Saw one drive by today. Are they even out yet? I am positive that it was a 2003 Saturn L-Series. Trust me, it doesn't look any better in real life.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    I saw a Renault Medallion recently, and I thought, "Hmmmm...they had something going." What happened there? I missed out on it, and now it's driving me insane!

To jog your memory: http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/m/p/mps165/renault.html
  • sildogsildog Posts: 50
    My fiance and I have a running contest spotting El Caminos, Caballeros, Sprints and Rancheros. You get points if you are first to spot. Number of points is based on if it is actually moving, looks like it recently moved (like in a parking lot of a store) or looks dead! GMC Sprints and Caballeros get quadruple points over Caminos. Rancheros get double points over Caminos. A 59 Camino gets max points (we've never seen one). The problem is they are getting so rare that we sometimes have to add other vehicles to the spotting list just to add some scoring-otherwise it is too much like soccer!

We did see a very clean Pacer recently in Cincinnati area.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Sunday, I saw an Aston-Martin Vanquish parked in front of the 4 Seasons Hotel just off Michigan Avenue. Wonder which lucky hop got the honor of parking that beauty?
  • ajvdhajvdh Posts: 223
    There's one of them right near where I live. He brings it to some of our club functions.

There's some other weird machinery around here: I see a beat-up Maserati Bora parked at the local Home Depot once in while. A local bakery has a Citroen DCV with a big plastic bread loaf sticking out the back. Then there's the guy with the Pinzgauer.

We get some neat stuff at our open track days. A Pantera, a real Shelby GT350, and a Sunbeam Tiger that competed in the '66 Targa Floria. Also a Shogun (Ford Fiesta with a Taurus SHO drivetrain stuffed into the area where the rear seat would be). Oh yeah, there's the guy who has two vintage Camaros built to Trans-Am specs.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen was some years back, I was driving past a low-rent used car dealer in NJ, and they had a Kaiser-Darrin on the lot: A fiberglass two-seater from the '50s, with doors that opened by sliding forward into the fenders.
  • I guess I am lucky to live in a quirky neighborhood, but here's what we have:

My apartment complex: it's just a gated walkup complex, but the quirkest car is probably the TDI Passat wagon. Nothing too special :(

But in the neighborhood, we have a Yugo at the hardware store down the block, a Mini Cooper a few blocks down the street, a Rambler on the same street. But within about 10 blocks, there's also a Renault Fuego, VW Thing, a house with three Citroen 2CV's. Also, there's a French family who owns a large house and has a Peugeot 604 from the mid-70's, as well as a 505 and a 405 (these people are extremely rich - I applaud their choice in cars!), a Volvo P1800, a Merkur Scorpio, and my personal favorite - an Eagle Premier with maroon landau roof and gold accented trim! Klassy!
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    One of my neighbor owns a red pantera, the only time I can see it is when it is nice and warm outside, otherwise it stays inside his garage.
    Also saw a beat up Rover in faded British racing green sitting on a driveway. A couple weeks ago I saw a Aston Martin Lagonda - what a weird car!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I saw yet another Cadillac Cimarron today, only this was one of the earliest models- an '82. It was very rough, with plenty of rust, cracked windshield, etc.
  • sildogsildog Posts: 50
    About 9 months ago, I saw a - GET READY - remember the Dodge OMNI? I saw one stretched like a limo! It had some graphics for a business on it. It was stretched quite far - I would estimate about 6 to 8 additional feet.
  • Hahahahahaha! I saw an Escalade limo recently. yuck!