Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Mine did that after the first rotation. Rebalancing the wheels did the trick. Be sure they use the proper weights (the dealer, Sam's, & Costco).
  • hojohojo Posts: 6
    Agree with everyone about poor gas mileage. My best with my 2002 PT with auto is 25. My other 4 cylinder cars have averaged 35 mpg or better. A friend's transmission just went out at 40k miles ($2,600) - that has me worried. If you want better acceleration, try Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs (Big difference, but I'd like to smack the engineer who designed the air intake manifold attached to entire top of the engine, turning a 10-minute job to a 3-hour job). My engine malfunction light came on at 37k miles and the dealer has ordered a new PCM (computer). I thought it was just a smog reset or something. I replaced my original battery last week and now the power door locks, keyless entry & alarm system do not work. I find no reference to resetting any of this and the fuse is fine. Anyone have a clue?
  • I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and just recently have been having a problem with the key. Once inserted in the ignition, it won't move. You have to keep playing with it, and then it finally clicks. We were out of town last weekend and it took almost 1/2 hour of playing before we could start the car. Sometimes it's just 3 or four tries. Took it to the dealer today and they said it was the remote and we had to buy a new remote and get our key re-keyed. OK, we did. It did the same thing tonight after class. Now what? Anybody experienced anything like this??? Thanks!!
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Posts: 144
    Hi all,

I've loved the look of the PT Cruisers for quite a while, and am considering trading in my 04 Subaru Outback for one (the Outback has had a host of problems--I'm one unhappy Subaru buyer).

My two main concerns are cargo space and mileage. I have a 70-lb German Shepherd and without taking her to the dealership with me, it's hard to tell if she would fit in the back with the rear seats up or if I'd have to put the seats down. Any Cruiser owners with dogs want to weigh in?

Also, one of the things I'm dissatisfied with my Outback is the mileage. It doesn't run well on anything but 89 or 93 octane, and it gets 16 mpg in city driving. This is a 163 hp 4-cylinder engine, and this is honestly about the same I got with my 95 Z-28, which was a lot more fun to drive! Can you run your Cruisers on 87 octane without ferocious pinging?

City commuters, what kind of mileage are you getting? I drive about 10 miles roundtrip each day, which isn't much, and I make a few more short trips in the evenings for classes, etc. I usually only do highway driving on the weekends.

Thanks!
  • Don't buy a Cruiser if mpg is a major concern. Cruisers are heavy for their size and have a lot of air drag at higher speeds. Both of these cost mpg. Our GT gets about 14-16 mpg in local driving. The non-turbo models usually do a little better. In 20K miles our Cruiser has averaged only 18 mpg (mostly local driving) with high speed freeway driving giving about 22-25 mpg

We love our Cruiser (03 GT). Our 85 pound dog rides in the back seat. While there is room for the dog in the way back, the seats are tall relative to the floor, so it is like a big open top box. If this is where the dog must ride be sure to try before you buy. If your dog is like mine, the cargo area, with both back seats up (so people can sit in the back), will not be a happy place.
  • sisusisu Posts: 2
    You may have to get a new ignition. I had the same problem with an '82 Accord & the dealer couldn't seem to figure out what the problem then either. Finally told them to replace the whole thing on the steering wheel.
  • peach1peach1 Posts: 2
    May be the gas cap wasn't put on correctly. Just a thought.....had that problem myself, and thought I'd pass that bit along.
  • jonmicjonmic Posts: 1
    Got a 2001 Cruiser. When we unlock the passenger door, and lately the driver door, the horn starts going off. It stops with the key in the ignition. I have yet to get an owners manual, and would like to be able to get into my car quietly to go get one. Please help!!!
  • I have a 2005 PT Cruiser and a 120 pound Lab . My lab will fit great with the seats taken out or folded down . On a return trip ( purchased way too much junk ) I even left the seats up and she fit Ok back there but not as comfortable as she would have liked to be . I also use regular gas and do not get any pinging . I do however have a motor problem I will address in another message.
  • When my 2005 PT Cruiser got 2000 miles on it I discovered an oil leak . After many many hours at my dealer and many many loaner cars while Chrysler among other things replaced first the head gasket then the head . Then it really started leaking oil .By now it had only 6500 miles on it .The dealer said it had a busted block ! I demanded another car and held my ground .It had been worked on 7 times. :lemon: Chrysler wanted to completly redo the motor. I did get my replacement identical car ( I had to pay only for the mileage on the first one) . It has just under 2000 miles and much to my shock ......I discovered an oil leak under it today...... I just left my car with my dealer (again) and they said they have reports that the 2005 PT Cruiser sometimes needs retorked .This would be the head bolts are not properly torked or tightened to specs . Once the motor has heated to running temp ........it may already have damage to the aluminum head. Everyone please ...if you do not park in a garage ...put cardboard or something under your car and check for an oil leak , it is near the front left ( drivers side ) and very minor at first but this could really cause problems later on down the line .....like after the warranty runs out .
  • I have a 2001 PT. Sometimes when I accelerate, the brake light comes on and stays on until I tap the brakes. It sometimes does this when I accelerate from a full stop, sometimes when I'm already moving. It doesn't seem to be accompanied by any gripping of the actual brakes - just a not-so-random light. Happens more often if I accelerate aggressively than when I gradually accelerate. Of course, the dealer hasn't been able to replicate this problem. Anyone had similar experiences and should I worry? Thanks. :confuse:
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    check the fluid level in the master cylinder. As the brakes wear and the fluid level drops, it will cause those symptoms. As the brakes wear further and the level drops a bit more, the light would go on all the time.
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try. Can I just add more fluid or should I think about replacing the brakes? I only have 25,000 miles on the car.
  • sh56sh56 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser with manual transmission and 23,000 miles. Suddenly as I was driving it became extremely difficult to shift gears. Then it was ok. I drove about 1/2 mile and the problem happened again and this time I could not change gears at all. I had to turn the engine off before I was able to shift to any gear. If I started the car in 1st gear, I could not shift to any other gear. I finally made it home turned the engine off and then turned it back on and had no problems shifting gears. I drove the car about 1/2 mile with no problems.

Does anyone know what could be the possible causes for this problem? I'd like to have some idea of possible causes so as not to incur unnecessary expense.

Thank you.
  • My wife & I own a 2002 PT cruiser. 7 weeks ago with only 22,000 miles our transmission would not up-shift properly. We took it to the dealer and were shocked when we found it was not in warranty. They replaced the 22020 Trans output speed sensor and we reluctantly paid the $210.30. 2 weeks and 200 miles later it did exactly the same thing again. They again replaced the Trans output speed sensor as it was defective, but at no charge. On March 16th we again took the cruiser in as the same problem arose again. The first internal controller module they received was defective and they had to reorder it. When it finally came in I was very upset at being charged $563.96 and THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME THE DEFECTIVE PART. Now it has the same problem again. Help!!
    What would anyone suggest?? garythompson@remax.net or call toll free 800-380-7355. Thanks a bunch
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Adding fluid will take care of the initial problem which is low brake fluid. Of course the brake fluid IS low most likely because of wear on the brakes so it's certainly an encouragement to have the brakes checked. The fluid sensor seems to be fairly sensitive so I suspect that you would probably find the front pads to be about half worn.
  • whizwhiz Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the cause to rattle? I have a 2001 that I found the hatch cover making some noise ,but it gets real loud on bumpy roads, still looking for the culprit.
  • I have a 2004 turbo PT and have a squeak that seems to come and go with the temp. more as it gets warmer out. The dealer didn't seem like they wanted to look for it. I'm going back and demand they fix it. :(
  • I just bought a 2001 Cruiser and I love it so far. It is a standard and when i am completely stopped the car idles rough like it is about to stall. it does this when i have the clutch in or even when i have the car in nuetral. anyone know what i can do to solve this problem. i love the car but this is an annoying problem.
  • I am having a problem with the rough idling at a stop. what have u heard will solve the problem? Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.