Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Used Caddy vs new Toyota?

jocamcjocamc Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Cadillac
2013 sts for 20 grand (20,00 miles) vs a new toyota for mid 20's
pros and cons
what would you buy
i drive under 10,000

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that seems awful cheap for the Caddy. No stories about it?

anyway, the Toyota in theory will be cheaper to run than an older car. But the STS is still going to be under warranty for a while, so covered there. And is going to be more loaded and luxurious than a Toyota (Camry?) in that price range.

tradeoffs, potential maintenance costs down the line, and likely lower MPG.

in your favor, driving low miles means you will always have a real low mile STS, and it should be a long time before "old age" catches up to you.

so, if you really like the caddy, and it checks out (clean title and all), the price sounds real good.

I don't think you can go wrong either way here, so get what you want.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    jocamc said:

2013 sts for 20 grand (20,00 miles) vs a new toyota for mid 20's
    pros and cons
    what would you buy
    i drive under 10,000

And you can buy a GMEP extended warranty for the STS from Cadillac, by checking with a dealer or Black Cadillac online who discounts, as long as the STS is still covered by the original warranty, which I believe is 5 years/50K mi. Longer you wait the pricier it gets. Don't get GMPP warranty, the previous GM warranty company. It's phasing out in 2016 early and has been replaced by GMEP, G M extended protection or something like that, which is actually GM's plan.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    zandorzandor Member Posts: 67
    2013 STS? I thought the STS was dropped after the 2011 model year, and $20k is really low for a 2013 CTS with 20k on it. I'd be very skeptical of a 2013 Cadillac CTS for $20k. That's just too low unless it's a private party sale and the seller is an idiot or it's got a salvage title. If the seller is an idiot and an inspection doesn't turn up any problems just buy the thing and flip it for a profit if you change your mind. Salvage = run away at that age. If it's a 2011 STS $20k would be more reasonable.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Actually, 2013 CTSs with 20k'ish miles are trading for $19k at auction, so its not totally unreasonable to get a private party one for $20k. Great deal, but not what I'd call scary.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that's pretty cheap. Might need to put that on my list for 3 years out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Last year for the STS was 2012.
  • Options
    jocamcjocamc Member Posts: 2
    thanks, this helps
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I vote for the used Caddy, if everything checks out.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica