Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sports Car Steering Wheel - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Porsche

imageSports Car Steering Wheel - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

It may not be a sports car, but our 2015 Porsche Macan feels like one thanks to its on-road performance and the feel of its meaty steering wheel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Wood or carbon fiber-trimmed steering wheels can look good (like in this case), but I don't think I'd ever buy a car with one. Yeah, we all learned to hold the wheel at 10 and 2 (or 9 and 3, depending on who taught you to drive), but I normally hold my steering wheel at just off of center at the top or bottom, unless I'm taking an enthusiastic jaunt down a backroad or something. To me, the carbon fiber or wood is just too slippery and poses a safety hazard. Plus, it doesn't feel very confidence-inspiring compared to leather. I'd guess that a lot of other drivers don't hold their steering wheels at the sides, so wood or other trims aren't a great idea when leather provides more grip and security.

Also, the Macan probably has the most extensively-trimmed wheel I've ever seen. Most wood-trimmed steering wheels just have some trim at the top part of the rim (or in some cases, along the spokes, which is a good design), but the Macan almost looks as if it has a carbon fiver steering wheel with leather trim for your hands.