Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    Thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, I have to do the same (remove woods) in my wife's A6, because the trunk is narrow. I understand the corvette and boxster are different animals, but I need to get golf clubs in there before they are even under consideration.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    This post is re-post of #338 without the user's email address. Please DON'T post your e-mail address in your messages (you'll get spammed by spybots) or ask to be e-mailed an answer, since we want EVERYBODY here to get the benefit of the answer!

--------------------------------------------------

338 of 338 Boxster Mishap by andy14 Mar 20, 2005 (11:20 pm)

Hi...well to make this story short. I did install some Wheel-spacers today but this time I used 15 mm instead of the 1 inch I had on. Well, I used the the same bolts and to my luck it turned out that they are to long and busted the little springs inside the brake disc housing ( Again no idea what this aprt of Axle/brake is called). My question is > what are these Springs for...you can see them when you look through the Hex of the opening where the Bolts go...and do I need to replace them...I am lost since I have no glue what these little springs are for and what part number or even what they are called...lost and now the car is not running because of the metal on metal noise it makes...baaaaaaad noise....please help...thanks Andy
    Ah, you have wiped out your emergency brake springs and yes you will have to replace them. This will require removal of the caliper and everything else in the way to inspect and correct the damage.
  • andy14andy14 Posts: 1
    Thanks..you r 100% right....well I guess I have to take the pain and do that....Andy
    It was an honest error...this stuff happens, and it's not a catastophe, like misthreading a head bolt or something. It's a nut and bolt job.
  • Chile96 is correct, a standard size golf bag will fit, but the driver and any other long woods will have to be place in separately. This was also one of my requirements and I conducted the test myself. IMO, I think that they fit better in the Boxster than the Vette. After test driving everything over the last few weeks, on order the Boxster S on Saturday. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

Peace
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Posts: 68
    I just purchased a 2005 Boxster and am enjoying every minute of it. The styling is perfect now that the corners are more voluptuous and the headlights are clear and rounder. The new interior is superior to the older version in fit/finish and layout. I can't say enough good things about the exhaust note and ride quality. I hope to enjoy this beast for many years to come. It purposefully has minimal options (heated seats, stereo upgrade but not Bose, colored wheelcaps, floor mats, dimming mirrors/wipers, and plusher seats. I did get the upgraded leather interior which is well worth it for the look vs. standard buckets. Only burned 1/4 quart of Mobil-1 in first 400 miles with light to moderate driving style. Dealer recommended break-in style driving for first 2000 miles but mainly for tires, brakes, etc.. Too bad I'm getting snow tonight or I'd be out driving right now. Warm weather can't come soon enough. Good luck to all who are considering this fabulous car.
  • newbrewnewbrew Posts: 1
    I have a Callaway bag with legs and a full set of Callaway clubs. I take the clubs out of the bag and can fit them and the bag (and my shoes) in the back trunk no problem.

The problem is when I need to travel with my hard roller case. I have to make sure it's a nice day and I can put the top down.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Posts: 202
    No factory cupholders. I'd bet a sportscar deutchlander porschephile would spit on you for the suggestion. ;)

In any case you can purchase cupholders that clip over the airvents on the dash. They are cheap and cheezy but they are better than your lap.
  • romerome Posts: 19
    I would appreciate thoughts on the following dillema--

I have a condo in Miami where I spend about 4 weeks a year for vacation, and random weekends here and there in the winter months.

I want to purchase a pre-owned Boxster S to keep down there and use for fun when my wife and I are in Miami. I don't expect that I will drive the car more than 2,000- 3,000 miles or so per year, if that.

I want to spend $25-$30K for a pre-owed with as few miles as possible. That will translate to about $400/per month, financed over 6 years.

I really love the idea of having that beautiful car down there, and really babying it. No cold weather, no snow etc. My thought is that I will be able to enjoy the car for many, many years because I won't be putting on many miles and its styling won't become outdated. (Those 10 year old 911's still look pretty damn good).

Am I nuts? We can afford it, but it seems like throwing money away unless the car retains a reasonable amount of its value (say 50%) over the next 10 years. (As my wife points out, you can rent a Boxster in Miami for a day rate of about $275, so for what I will be paying to buy the car, I could get a rental for about 20 days a year.

1. How much will the car likely depreciate with that little use over the next few years? Market value of these cars (pre-owned) seems to be declining given oversupply, but how low could it go if the car has less than 30,000 miles?

2. Will its styling continue to be appealing 5-10 years from now, or will it feel outdated? (Exisitng owners may have the best perspective on this).

3. Is it harmful to the car if it is not driven every day? (I'm sure the valet in my building would start it weekly, but there will me months at a time when it is not driven).

4. Any suggestions regarding what year and what level mileage car I could expect to acquire at the $30K price point? I am hoping to get a 2001 or later with less than 20K miles (and this appears to be not unrealistic in a private (non-dealer) sale based on my preliminary analysis of the market and KBB).

5. How do I convince my wife that I am not doing this to pick up babes on South Beach?

Any thoughts?
  • Sorry to join in a bit late. Had a 2000 Boxster for 3 years. Had a full size, but not tour bag. If I took the driver out of the bag everything else fit in nicely.

Time to go and drive an '05 "S" to see if I want to delay retirement a few years and get back into the Porsche program.
  • Found myself at the local Porsche store yesterday. Figured it was time to visit my money. Drove a 2005 base Boxster, nicely, but not outrageously equipped. A noticeable and marked improvement over my 2000 base Boxster. Interior materials are vastly superior in feel, appearance, & quality. Body seems tighter. Gearbox has clearly shorter shift throws. Always outstanding Proche brakes are now even better with the cross-drilled rotors. All in all, a very nice evolution of the breed.

According to my sales guy, Prosche has tried to do something about golf clubs. He says that the right rear fender wall has been hollowed out a bit more so that clubs will fit without having to be taken out of the bag. Did not get a chance to try it as I did not have my clubs in the car I was driving.

All I have to do now is to see if I can justify $51,000 on a summer toy.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,107
    I subscribe to AutoWeek and in the classified section towards the rear they have dealers advertising quite a few leftover '04 Boxster & Boxster S models. While many don't list pricing, it has got to be pretty good with the 987s out already. I guess then the (rhetorical) question becomes...how good of a deal are they going to give me that would make it worth my while not to get an '05 at say $2K under sticker.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890
    One of the dealers here in Cincinnati has been advertising $8K off MSRP on their leftover Boxsters.. I think they only have 4-5 left... Just for a reference point..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

online inventory. Shows a beautiful Dark Red/Black/Black 5 Speed 2004 Boxster. His advertised price on the website is $42,500. I'll bet they'd definitely sell that car for well under $40K just to get rid of it. We've had eight straight days of sunshine and NO RAIN here in the NYC area. Driving around after work today, I got bit by the convertible bug (envy those that have them and use them, want to take away the cars of people who drive around with their TOPS UP on a day like today). Too bad there's no money in the budget for a 3rd car :cry:

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Stop complaining!
    Just purchase a set of golf clubs with collapsible shafts.
    Why does everyone insist on running down the beautiful Porsche Boxter?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ......the boxster look really personifies this nice looking vehicle.........ez
  • Just purchased my new boxster. Its silver and its a 98...I really really like it. I am not current with the cleaning methods. Anyone? Thanks ..ME
  • OH ya, my wife also purchased a boxster. It is a 2001 boxster S. It rattles in first gear, just upon engagement of the clutch and giving it gas. After total release of the clutch the sound goes away. What do you think this could be? Throwout bearing? This particular boxster has the 6 speed tranny....Any ideas, please advise....
    you've got a 98 Boxster and you're wife has an '01 Boxster S? Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't it be the other way around? LOL! All kidding aside, I wish I could be in that position (any Boxster is better than NO Boxster). How many miles does each car have? Did you purchase them from private parties or dealers? Are these your daily drivers?