Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner Accessories

Comments

• Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I would like to know what you did to get 275hp. I have the factory dual Borla exhaust(V8) and a high flow aFe re-useable air filter. Adding up the manufacturer claimed HP and torque benefits of the two products gave me a revised V8 power output of....252 hp and 340 ft lbs. I don't think I need anymore horsepower, this vehicle screams!! When I floor the rig, the rear of the Runner slightly dips there is so much torque being sent to the four wheels. It is definately a muscle 'car'. Wow.
  • Options
    toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Hi all! I am new to the hall and have a few questions.

First off I am a long time Toyota owner and have owned many different Toyota cars and trucks.. Just recently I traded in my '97 4Runner in on a '03 Sport V8 and got it for 6k off the sticker price ($29,400)

My questions are:

One of the few options that I didn't get that I wanted was the side airbags. Can I get these afterwards? I think they are in the seats so maybe it is something that can be done. And in my experience Toyota wires the cars for everything even if you don't get an option you can usually get it and just plug it in.

Also I would love to have a dog barrier made out of stuff like the cargo net. I have a metal one that uses pressure to mount but I don't want to put the marks on the floor and headliner. Plus it is noisy and not really easy to remove and store if I need to. I see alot of other suv's with this type of barrier lately like the Volvo. Any idea on where to get something like that?
  • Options
    slitorslitor Member Posts: 29
    I was considering adding the TRD supercharger but 4k is way to much for that kind of power although I am tempted. I installed the following mods: Dual Borla got 20,TRD air filter got 5, and added a new mod I found on ebay called Z1 and got 15. I had my runner dyno tested to get the exact horse power. Very satisfied. Yes I have a v8
  • Options
    Tell me more about this Z1. I am wary of the supercharger and its massive torque on the new 5spd transmission and transfer case.
  • Options
    Its a chip. I found it on ebay, says it gives you 20+ horepower I got 15. Pretty cheap, only cost $30. I took my chances and bought it just to see if it would work. Be warned they tell you not to install it if you have a high performance exhaust, as I said I took my chances.
    Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33597&item=2440636594
  • Options
    amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    Wow....I like that auction. :)

Would something like that void your warranty?

Aaron
  • Options
    klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    I would imagine that if something serious happened to your engine and Toyota found out about the chip they might think twice about doing free repair work.

I guess one could just yank the chip out of the vehicle before going to the dealer, but it may leave electronic artifacts on the truck's computer.
  • Options
    I don't think so. Just remove the chip before you bring your runner in for service. Thats what I'm going to do.
  • Options
    2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    2003 4Runner 4X4 17's
    Without buying a set of snow tires, what is the critics choice when it comes to snow chains?
    Haven't had to buy a set of chains in 10 years.
    Thought I'd start here and get some insight.
    Is there a brand that reigns above the rest?
    Have they made any improvements in the
    tie down of the excess chain?
    Plastic vs Steel? Storage?
  • Options
    4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    it gives no details on install, sounds like a steal!

is the install difficult? (FYI - i have absolutely no skill under the hood lol)

this chip plus an air filter equals a quick 20,25 hp gain with less than 80 bucks! not bad at all.

can you actually feel the extra 15 or so hp gain with the chip?

thanks
  • Options
    I to have no experience under the hood as well. My brother is the mechanic in the family he was the one that installed the chip for me. He said it was an easy install for him. As far as feeling the new power, yes I can feel it.
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    I purchased an '04 V8 Sport with the stock stereo. The sound is very weak regarding the bass. With previous new vehicle purchases, I have kept the stock stereo. I added an amp under driver's seat and a subwoofer in the trunk. Has anyone done anything similar on their 4runner? Details would be appreciated.
  • Options
    md4runnermd4runner Member Posts: 17
    Grubbs1...Hey, I noticed the same thing in my '03 V6 Limited that I picked up about a month ago...I'm in the process of getting an amp installed in my truck...I need to get an amp kit to hook it up to the JBL system, and I have a 10" bandpass box for my trunk...I'll let you know if it improves the system...What kind of amp, box, and sub did you put in?

md4runner
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
  • Options
    toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Have you opened this puppy up to find out what's inside? I saw the following feedback on ebay regarding the Z1 mod. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Complaint : i got the hp chip, it looked suspect, i opened it, its just 2 wire and a box!

Response by performanceparts_co - We never stated it was a chip anywhere in our description. Item sent as described

Makes you wonder what you're really getting... They refer to it as a "mod" or "module" and they COMPARE it to chips, but do not say this item contains a chip. Although that is clearly inferred:

The Z1 modules was designed to directly compete with the higher priced chips at a significantly reduced cost. The Z1 Module not only competes with the higher priced Chips, but actually OUTPERFORMS most competing modules and ECU programmed chips.

Slick legal wording will keep them out of trouble, but personally, I'd be leery of this and stay away!
  • Options
    I have added an amp and subwoofer (in a box) to a 2000 Frontier PU and a 2001 Mazda Protege. I have not decided what to do with my 4runner yet. With the two previous vehicles, the sound was much nicer (deeper), without blowing-out neighborhood windows. The cost was fairly modest: around $400-$500 professionally installed. I will only go with a large, well known stereo retailer, just in case.

Regarding the Z1 mods, I was foolish enough to purchase one for my Protege about a year ago. Don't do it! It was a worthless transistor. I did not install it. The seller never returned my inquiry requests.

md4runner: where is the JBL subwoofer located in your 4runner? I know that a custom case or box can be made for the back corner of the hatch area but at a cost.
  • Options
    my jbl subwoofer is located in the trunk area in a bandpass box...my amp is mounted to the bandpass box...it takes up a little room, but oh well...i'll send a link to the pics sometime, tonight...
  • Options
    Here ya go...Pics of my '03 Limited V6 Titanium w/ Westin Front Bumper Guard, Go Rhino Hitch Step, 150 Watt Clarion Amp, and 10" JBL Sub in a Bandpass Box...

Enjoy:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/baltimorecityguy/lst?.dir=/4runn- er&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.p- hotos.yahoo.com/
  • Options
    biff22biff22 Member Posts: 16
    Nice pics. Does you JBL Sub make a big differance in your sound? Just wondering because I'm been meaning to improve my sound on my 03 SE runner
  • Options
    yup...it makes a bigger difference for bass... which i thought the 10 speaker jbl system lacked a bit of...my wattage from my amp is small enough that my system isn't a complete ghettoblaster...

take care...
  • Options
    raystarraystar Member Posts: 6
    Nice pics. I have the same westin bumper guard and hitch step. I think it completely changes the character of the truck by giving it an "intimidating" look. My question is regarding your audio setup. I'm looking to upgrade my JBL 10 speaker system. How did you do yours?
  • Options
    all i did was add an amp to my stock system and the subwoofer in the bandpass box...the audio place that did it for me needed to use an amp kit/adapter in order to work with the stock radio...i might eventually change my highs and mids, but for right now i'm content...to have the amp installed with parts and the amp kit/adapter cost me about $150...
  • Options
    aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hello, a couple of questions...

1. Remote start? How much would this cost aftermarket and will I be able to use all the features on my original keyless entry pad. For example will I still be able to roll the rear window down with my remote keyless entry?

2. If I were to get a single disk cd player originally and then spent the same amount of money on an aftermarket 6disk changer what kind of product would I get. I've heard the factory installed players are kinda crappy. Btw, do you guys know if the factory installed 6disk can play MP3s?

thanks
  • Options
    Nice truck and nice bass set-up!

I went to look at the latest gear for extra bass. I am like you...I don't need to blow-out my neighbor's windows. But, if the JBL system is 'weak' in bass, I am more confident that an upgrade to my standard stereo system will be a great improvememt. It will take about $350 to $500 to get a speaker, enclosure, amp, wiring and the install. I may need to wait to pay for it but I'll post when I take this step.
  • Options
    I'm sure you already know this. You're pics give access to all your photo albums. Nice house by the way
  • Options
    oh well...

thanks...
  • Options
    4runnerrunner4runnerrunner Member Posts: 7
    I have the JBL system WITHOUT the cd changer. I bought an aftermarket Cd changer and installed it and was NOT happy so i ripped it all out. My question is, Can I add the toyota CD changer that fits in the glove box? Or do I have to add the one that fits in the CONSOLE? If I MUST use the one that fits in the console, how much of the storage space does it take up??
    03 4Runner Sport...btw
    Thanks!
  • Options
    hotdogonastickhotdogonastick Member Posts: 30
    i've been surfing websites to see what people though/knew about trd's sc for the v8 runner. i didnt find much...so after saving my money i decided to find out for myself. i know some people might say it's a waste or others will say it's a good purchase but i'll find out in a few hours when i pick it up from penske toyota. i stopped by and saw it installed. they just needed to road/emission/electrical test it. when the mechanics at toyota found out that it was my v8 runner, the looks i got from the guys were (big) smiles. i guess they know something that i dont (but will find out). i checked around the la/oc area and found the cheapest for 4047.14 + tax and the most expensive at 4850 + tax. i got mine online for 3995 no tax no shipping fee (83 lbs). i also called the certified trd toyota dealers (most of them are now in my area) how much for the install (to not void any warranty). the most expensive was 800 and the cheapest was 600. for all it's worth, i feel like i got a great deal saving btw $500-1200 if i didn't shop around. so far est performance #'s are 117 hp and 118 ft-lbs of tq. increase - which puts me at 352 hp/438 tq. eventually after my finances recover i'll get a set of headers, exhaust, and air filter. just waiting for trd to come out with the first 2. if anyone has any questions about the sc feel free to ask. i'm not on the message board as frequent (more work = more $$$) but i'll reply eventually.
  • Options
    i just picked up my 4runner... holy crap! it's fast. the v8 stock is great. i would have been happy leaving it alone but i got power greedy. now it's a monster. all the service people and mechanics who knew a supercharger was going in the runner (the ones who were outside) were smiling. the only downfall is the supercharger whine - it covers/replaces the rumble of the V8. i'm hoping that with the upcoming trd headers and exhaust i could get some of the V8 sound back.
    the good news is that the guys at the trd parts counter are taking me seriously re: my interest in the header/exhaust since they know i had a sc installed.
    one concern of mine... the current tank of gas is 89 (which reduces the sulfur smell compared to 87). the sc requires 91 octane - i'm ready to fill my tank anyways and hopefully get a bit better performance.
    my suggestion to anyone interested:
    if you like the sound of a supercharger,
    if you want to be hp/tq greedy,
    if you have the cash - do it.
    if you prefer the V8 sound,
    are content with the power (which is plenty to begin with)- hold off.
  • Options
    alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Congrats on the TRD.....I am jealous. LOL. I've been reading about the TRD enhancements and they are amazing indeed. Enjoy!
  • Options
    have you considered adding the Borla dual exhaust?
  • Options
    On a more technical Toyota forum I was told that adding the SC to the V8 Runner will cause the engine to run lean. The V8 with SC in Tundra, LC and Sequoia does not have the lean problem(?) Adding the Borla will definately make it run lean.(Again so says a parts representative of a Toyota dealership in Dallas) Not being an automotive engineer, I can only state what I read. Did you have this warning (lean) given to you before install? Also, I hope your vehicle was broken in correctly before having the dealership install the SC, everybody is smiling because everybody has driven your vehicle like a BOOH (Bat out of hell).

How does TRD anticipate the new 5-speed tranny holding up to that kind of HP and TQ? I know TRD is Toyota sponsored, but I have found some of their stuff to be not as thoroughly engineered for the vehicle as TRD would have you believe. I believe the SC is actually made by EATON.

Congrats, if you have the money, it's America, spend, spend, spend.
  • Options
    amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    Congrats on the TRD install. I just got my v8 Limited and since all I do is city driving, the extra HP and torque is fun to think about, but probably not a good use of $4000. I bet it's a blast to drive, though. I recently saw a Sequoia with all sorts of TRD decals on it. Looked really nice. Not stickers, but real chrome emblems. Maybe one of these days....

More to my question. I don't know necessarily if this is a accessory question or not, but I'll ask anyway. My new truck's back gate will hit the garage door when parked in the garage. I'm thinking about putting something on the garage door bottom and 1st beam where it hits so I don't have to be so delicate all of the time when opening it in the garage.

Anyone have any ideas on what to attach to the garage door to prevent and dings or scrapes?

Thanks, Aaron
  • Options
    Are you referring to the hatch, when fully opened, rises above the entrance of your garage door and rests on the wood? I usually carry a roll of paper towels in the back of the truck, I take that roll and place it between the hatch and the wooden garage door beam. It is a good, soft inexpensive fix to a problem that could lead to the paint be rubbed off or scratched by the door.
  • Options
    coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    amheck, you might dry small-diameter foam pipe insulation. You can buy this tubular foam insulation at home centers or hardware stores. The stuff for 1/2" copper pipe will work well.

It's soft and easy to cut, and I expect you would just mount strips vertically on your garage doors. You might use the same or different stuff mounted horizontally on the stiffening beams that are sometimes on the lower door panels. Since this insulation is pre-slit, you can finish opening the slit to slip it over the beams and/or to provide a space for inserting a nail or staple or screw to mount the insulation.

This also works on the sides of garages, to stop opening doors from striking garage walls. Much cheaper than commercial products designed for the purpose.
  • Options
    i haven't heard or was informed about any problems running lean. as far as i know the instructions warned about installing a cold air intake to replace the factory air box - the air mass sensor on the stock box is used by the trd ecu to properly adjust the air/fuel mixture. without it, most likely the runner would run lean. fortunately for me i don't have a wife or kids to worry about - if then i probably would not have been able to get the sc without problems.
    i considered getting the borla exhaust for my runner although after years of having aftermarket parts in my integra (not factory warrantied) i got tired of having to swap out non-oem parts to get a problem fixed. trd is fully warrantied (as long as the code prefix "00642"). one thing i came across (that i need to do some more research on) was that the trd exhaust has similar/same? design as borla's (borla makes for trd and trd puts the name?) has anyone heard anything about that? well back to work for me...
  • Options
    jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    I was under the impression the 03/04 exhaust Borla makes is a cat-back that is fully covered by warranty if you have the dealer put it on. I think it was a port-installed option somewhere also. So the idea that TRD uses Borla might make sense.
  • Options
    How much was your SC installed with labor? Also did you buy it at the same place where you had it installed. I live in SoCal and would love to have the info. just in case I choose to install it. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    i'm not sure if i'm allowed to say names of companies because i'm not sure of the policies. well i had it installed at penske toyota for 600. they didn't even charge me for a new belt that had to be shipped from trd (because the belt in the trd box was a half inch too short) and coolant. others in the so cal are went for average 675, 685,725, and even 800! who knew if they would have charged me for the coolant and belt. the sc i got online for 3997 from brandsport. i saw it at other sites for 50 cheaper but i paid no tax (330) or shipping (50) but waited almost 2 weeks. overall i felt i got a pretty good deal cuz the dealerships were charging 4047.14 for the cheapest and 4800 the most expensive.
    as for the reply regarding the mechanics smiling cuz they pounded my car...no doubt it's true. cuz i went back the next day to have them fill out the warranty card and have my runner washed (was so excited to pick it up that didn't notice it was still dirty) that it took forever to get it back, it was still wet and the mpg said 7!!! i'm gonna keep my eye on it the next time i go the the shop (as far as i can till it gets to the engine bay)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may name a company as long as you don't provide contact information (phone numbers, email addresses, names of salespeople, etc.).

tidester, host
  • Options
    socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    Borla is an option in the South East Region.
    California gets chrome tip exhaust option.
    To whom can I direct a my complaints.
    A specific name would be better than Toyota.com.
    Local dealers don't offer much help re: options being similar across the board.
    I don't think that having the exhaust installed after-market would void any warranty.
    Am I wrong ??
  • Options
    well i'm not sure if the ecu is finally calibrated because i got 7 to 42 mpg while driving. i went to the local (so cal) mountains to go snowboarding and i averaged what a stock fj80 (I-6) would get - going to the mountains was uphill 13-16 mpg. going downhill 22-26 mpg. avg speed 70-75 mph. the wierd thing was that after 80 mph (80-85) i think the sc was blowing less of a boost (if any) - i was at cruising speed and got pretty stock mpg ~18 same as my V8 without it. on the streets i got about 13-16 mpg but that was when the sc was first put on. i have put about 350 miles on since the install. the sc won't be fully broken in till 2k miles (as per the paperwork from trd).
    overall i don't feel too bad even though my mpg went down. i posted on the other forum that during the break-in period i got an avg of 18/22 with non-aggressive driving. 14/18 that i get now is a little closer to epa's 15/19 but with extra oomph.
  • Options
    aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hello,

Just special ordered a 2004 4runner Sport V8 4WD, and now I am waiting for it to arrive. I (alarm, rear window roll down) and also have the want to get a remote start but have a few questions.

1. Any recomendations as to what kind I should get, price and performance wise. Should I go with Toyota or some aftermarket people.

2. I would like to have 1 remote keybad. Will I be able to get a remote that allows me to use the features that come with the original keypad remote start on it.

thanks
  • Options
    baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all-
    I have a 04 4runner, so far I don't have any odor/sulfur problem and my truck doesn't lean left or right,but my question is about headlights and tail lights? I want to customize with different look lights. Is anyone noticed the "04 Land Rover" headlights and "04 Lexus RX330" tail lights? I think they look very sexy...Any thoughts???
  • Options
    'sexy'? The 4Runner is not sexy! It is a tough, capable, heavy duty off-road vehicle. It is like saying the 4Runner is 'cute'. If you want cute and sexy you should have bought the RAV4.
  • Options
    sacstate1 -this is for you!
    I'm living in the city and I don't go hunting and mountains and any off-road situation so I guess I don't have a right to own a 4runner?
    I still think 04 Land Rover headlights has a better looking...
  • Options
    No, you have a right to own one.
    If your like me, the city has more 'construction' obstacles than actually driving off-road.
    Just don't call it sexy. :)
  • Options
    alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Can't the 4runner be both tough and sexy?

Hehhe, some cities have worse terrain than outback trails. I have seen craters in city streets that would do serious damage to a lesser SUV or car. LOL
  • Options
    Yes, I think 4runner has both look (tough and sexy) I'm living in Orlando, so anywhere you go is flat...no hills etc...
This discussion has been closed.