Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Did I get a good lease deal on a 2015 Jetta SEL?

chasechasechasechase Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Volkswagen
Hey!

I found this forum in the middle of trying to negotiate down my lease payment for a new Jetta SEL. Wondering if I got a good deal and the folks on here seem to know what they're talking about.

I turned in a 2012 Passat Premium SEL V6 with only 14k miles on it, but a decent amount of wear and tear:
--Right mirror casing/light needed to be replaced
--front lower bumper big scrape
--hood had two dents in it from a box falling on it
--a couple of nicks from ppl opening doors into the car
--the back bumper and molding both needed to be replaced
--the rims all had big gouges in them
I took it to a trusted and inexpensive body shop and they estimated around $1200 to fix it, NOT counting the hood or rims. Took it to a dealership we didn't go with and they estimated VW would charge us $1200 to fix it. We are pretty sure they missed a couple of things and it would have been more like $2000 all told. The dealership we went to yesterday said they thought they could fix it for $600 and bought out the lease (we didn't have any payments on it, but now they own the car), so that's all we were charged for the damages. The lease balance on the car was $17675 that they paid VW directly.

Here's the deal we got on a 2015 Jetta 1.8T SEL with VW Care
Gross Cap Cost: 26368.51 (Vehicle value: 25568.51 / Service contract: 175 / Acquisition fee: 625)
Cap Cost Reduction: 2680.90
Adj cap cost: 23687.61
Residual value: 14382.90
Depreciation and any amortized amounts: 9304.71
Rent charge: 137.01
Total of base payments: 9441.72
Base payment: 262.27
Sales/use tax: 23.60
Lease payment: 285.87/month including tax for 36 months

We paid 1600 in cash, but they said it was drive off and the $600 damage to the Passat (not sure I see that $600 reflected here except in the cap cost reduction maybe?)
Disposition fee $350 (if we don't buy the car)
First months payment: 285.87
Registration fees: 267 (we're in expensive Los Angeles)
Doc Processing Charge: 80
Cal Tire fee: 8.75
Transfer charge: 29
Sales tax: 7.20
Cap Red Tax: 241.28
MINUS Rebates and non-cash credits: 2000
Total paid in cash 1600

Is this a good deal for this model? Are the service contract, acquisition fee, rent charge, doc processing charge all real things they have to charge? The guy was showing us numbers on paper and basically saying that they were only making $50 and that they couldn't sell the car for more than a $1000 loss per VW rules and if they went any less they would be losing more than $1000 on the car. Truth/fiction?

Thanks!
Chase

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302

Hey!

I found this forum in the middle of trying to negotiate down my lease payment for a new Jetta SEL. Wondering if I got a good deal and the folks on here seem to know what they're talking about.

I turned in a 2012 Passat Premium SEL V6 with only 14k miles on it, but a decent amount of wear and tear:
    --Right mirror casing/light needed to be replaced
    --front lower bumper big scrape
    --hood had two dents in it from a box falling on it
    --a couple of nicks from ppl opening doors into the car
    --the back bumper and molding both needed to be replaced
    --the rims all had big gouges in them
    I took it to a trusted and inexpensive body shop and they estimated around $1200 to fix it, NOT counting the hood or rims. Took it to a dealership we didn't go with and they estimated VW would charge us $1200 to fix it. We are pretty sure they missed a couple of things and it would have been more like $2000 all told. The dealership we went to yesterday said they thought they could fix it for $600 and bought out the lease (we didn't have any payments on it, but now they own the car), so that's all we were charged for the damages. The lease balance on the car was $17675 that they paid VW directly.

Here's the deal we got on a 2015 Jetta 1.8T SEL with VW Care
    Gross Cap Cost: 26368.51 (Vehicle value: 25568.51 / Service contract: 175 / Acquisition fee: 625)
    Adj cap cost: 23687.61
    Residual value: 14382.90
    Depreciation and any amortized amounts: 9304.71
    Rent charge: 137.01
    Total of base payments: 9441.72
    Base payment: 262.27
    Sales/use tax: 23.60
    Lease payment: 285.87/month including tax for 36 months

We paid 1600 in cash, but they said it was drive off and the $600 damage to the Passat (not sure I see that $600 reflected here except in the cap cost reduction maybe?)
    Disposition fee $350 (if we don't buy the car)
    First months payment: 285.87
    Registration fees: 267 (we're in expensive Los Angeles)
    Doc Processing Charge: 80
    Cal Tire fee: 8.75
    Transfer charge: 29
    Sales tax: 7.20
    Cap Red Tax: 241.28
    MINUS Rebates and non-cash credits: 2000
    Total paid in cash 1600

Is this a good deal for this model? Are the service contract, acquisition fee, rent charge, doc processing charge all real things they have to charge? The guy was showing us numbers on paper and basically saying that they were only making $50 and that they couldn't sell the car for more than a $1000 loss per VW rules and if they went any less they would be losing more than $1000 on the car. Truth/fiction?

Thanks!
    Chase

Don't know what the service contract is for, but acquisition fee is required. $80 doc fee is maximum allowed by statute in California (and, every single dealer charges $80 there). Rent charge is the finance portion of the lease payment.

They can sell a car for whatever they want.. It looks like you got a good deal, and did well to get out of your old car for only $600.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator