Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Opinions on value

jhessmkejhessmke Member Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Nissan
Hi folks,

I'l keep this brief, am just hoping for some input on what a fair private party sale price is for my old beater 96 maxima.

Here's a link to my local craigslist post with info on the car:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5196143948.html

I'm thinking $850 may be the most I can expect. My friend, who sold it to me last fall, thinks I should hold out for $1200-1400.

Am I leaving a few hundred bucks on the table if I take $850? Or is he overvaluing his old car?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    It's hard to find any old used car that runs for "cheap". So you may be able to get a bit more for your Maxima. But it could take a while.

I sold an equally miled up '99 Quest last year for $750 up in the UP. The AC was shot and it had some dings and it needed the cats put back on, but otherwise ran good. Yours is cleaner than my van was but that paint may scare some people off. I probably could have held out for a few hundred more but the kid who got it was happy and it was time to get rid of it.

Dump it. :)

• Options
    jhessmkejhessmke Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Stever!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2015
    Sell it for what you're asking and be happy. It doesn't look great on the outside, and it won't sound good with the broken exhaust--so couple of strikes against it when the buyer comes to look at it. You might ask $995. You can always come down.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Here's a post with another point of view (the complaint is that you just can't find running cars for under $2,000).
  • Options
    A reporter is looking to talk with a family in either the San Francisco or Los Angeles areas that is currently looking to sell one or more of their cars for maximum value. If you fit the description, please send a message to PR@edmunds.com by no later than Friday, September 18, 2015.