Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Could a '95-'02 Sunfire turbo kit be compatible with an '04 model?

sunslingersunslinger Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Pontiac
I have a stock 2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door coupe, which means a 2.2L Ecotec engine is the only option for me. I want to put a turbocharger in it without spending three grand on a Hahn racing kit. The only decent kits that I can find are all for the 1995-2002 models for this car, and I have found one that is compatible with the exact same engine which is in my 2004. Is there any real reason that this '95-'02 kit wouldn't work in my '04 model?

Answers

• Options
    lunashuman2lunashuman2 Member Posts: 9
    not really just you might have to fabricate(make) some parts for it to fit maybe. call a macanic though and ask just to be on the safe side. :D
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a question for the turbo manufacturer. They are after all the people who engineered it. You might also consider the wisdom of putting a turbo on an older engine that hasn't been rebuilt and strengthened. That of course, partly depends on how much boost this system runs. I'm also not sure if your engine has the same updates as the 2004 Malibu, with electronic throttle and different exhaust manifolds, etc. That could be a snag, too.

Doesn't GM offer a supercharger kit for this engine? Seem to recall that they do, or did.