Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Update....well Im now working with tirerack but still not convinced there is a custom rim...the website only shows Malibu and Malibu LT on the drop down menus and not the Maxx....speaking with the tech rep via email...he is insisting they have a selection of rims that fit the new bolt pattern....according to GM OE specification...will update later.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    anybody figured out a way to remove the "clear" plastic parking pass clip on the driver's side piller without breaking it off? I'm not sure I'm every going to need it, and would like to remove it.
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Why would you want to remove the clip? It's clear and low enough not to intefere with windshield vision. I love it for the parking permit I need at work - the permit is supposed to hang from the rearview mirror, and I find that most annoying. I slipped it into the clip and it's visible and not a distraction. JMHO
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I never even knew it was there on the vehicle I got to drive for a while :)
  • Options
    same quality as the front ones..mounted in the window channels between the frame and molding...these come with adhesive strips to peel off the vents to help hold them in place....installed in five minutes...will take pics and post later
  • Options
    http://home.att.net/~p.oswald

just posting my Maxx website again..for those newcomers to the forum.....
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I think it makes it difficult to get the inside of the windshield perfectly clean. If there was an easy way to remove it, I'd like to hear about it.
  • Options
    OK, since nobody wanted to offer up the solution to removing my "chip clip", then how about this one:
    anyone know how to remove the air bag "stickers" on my visors? I was able to remove them from all my other cars, buy these seem to be integrated into the plastic.
  • Options
    I use a small cloth to clean behind the clip....my parking ticket...stays there full time for me...as far as the labels on the visors..those dont really bother me...so cant help you there..I did see another Maxx in Alexandria running along Duke St..a black one still had dealer tags on it...
  • Options
    must have been a stolen vehicle...he,he,he....I have seen a green Maxx twice now here in the Hybla Valley area. Time to start our own club.
  • Options
    Protriminc..is offering the Maxx sunrood deflector again if anyone is interested...$10 below their list price on the website

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7914048681&category=42612&sspagename=WDVW

this is the same one I have installed on my Maxx LT
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    We have a black LS and I parked it in my garage tonight...when I did, I noticed that the headlights look different when the chrome housings aren't reflecting a bunch of sunlight (obviously)...in the garage, they almost looked like black housings and I thought that would be pretty cool if they offered (aftermarket) headlights with black housings...

I looked all over the net, but since the Maxx is relatively new, I couldn't find anything...

Does anybody know if they sell such an item yet? I think it would make our black Maxx look sweet...

Also, hoping someone will eventually offer special grills for the Maxx..not sure if I like the big chrome bar with the black grill on a black car...was thinking black bar with chrome grill and black housing headlights...well maybe someday...
  • Options
    Ive done a pretty time consuming search for custom parts for the new malibu....with the significant change in bode style and the new chassis.....there are very few custom accessories currently available that I have been able to find.....especially since it is considered a mid size family car.....most of the mods are for the sedan and not the Maxx....and when I ask if anything fits the Maxx...I get a I dont know answer from most vendors..who dont specifically list that model....Im guessing it will take at least two model years..and some demand from the owners before we see much.....comments?
  • Options
    You're probably right. I read somewhere that they were considering a Malibu Maxx SS...if introduced, that could speed up the custom accessories a bit.

I hope they do create some parts...it's not that I dislike the way the Malibu front end looks, I just think a little alteration could give the Malibu (Maxx especially) a sportier look from the front.

So far we are very ppleased with ours...my wife creates reasons to go somewhere so she can drive it more...
  • Options
    I agree....I trying to find some custom wheels to put a wider tire on the ground..which I think would help the stance of the Maxx....have added the sunroof wind deflector..much needed to reduce noise if you have a sunroof and the side window vents...also added a GPS system on the dash....probably stop with the wheels if I can find them....I know a lot of folks have stated the front end is bland...but I have had nothing but compliments on the car...and if they would ever test drive it...I think anyone would be sold on the car...the SS concept car was shown in the 04 NY auto show..still nothing on the chevy sites....about a production model
  • Options
    I must have too much time on my hands....

I took a picture of a black Maxx off of the web and modified it...the image below has 3 pictures from the front...which do you like the best?

Maxx 2 and 3 (middle and right) have a body colored strip (instead of chrome) with a red outline logo...image 3 has "simulated" black housing headlights...I'm pretty sure they would look a bit different than this in real life...

The altered images were done very quickly...the intent was to get an "idea" of what it might look like with some minor mods...

Let me know what you think...

http://www.geocities.com/icedog_97/maxxss3.jpg
  • Options
    Like number three the best...we will see if the concept car...ever makes it to production...
  • Options
    What a difference a front end makes!

I'm not sure where the guy got this picture (obviously it's from a car show somewhere)...but check out the front end! You may have to ignore the color...orange was never high on my list...

http://www.geocities.com/icedog_97/maxxssproto.jpg

It's amazing how different the car looks (a Malibu sedan) with the colored headlight housings and styled front bumper cover (minus the chrome strip).
  • Options
    it does make a distinct difference.....guess we will have to wait and see how the after market accessories producers react.....
  • Options
    bigals87z28bigals87z28 Member Posts: 12
    Wow, that orange one looks pretty good! Except for that orange. That picture looks like it was taken at SEMA, but I could be wrong.
    I would figure that the only rims that would fit on the car would be the Signum from Opel/Vauxhaul, Saab 9-3, and the upcoming Pontiac G6.
    All of them have a 17 inch wheel option, why not the Malibu? At least the Maxx!

I also would like to see a better design of the intake. Way way way too many 90* bends.
  • Options
    Beginning to find more rim options..both 16 and 17 inch combinations...a couple of sites to check...just be sure...they are a 5x110 bolt pattern...

http://www.wheeldiscount.com
    http://discounttiredirect.com
    http://discountedwheelwarehouse.com

all seem to offering free shipping for the moment
  • Options
    well was in the neighborhood so stopped by Koons Chevy in Tysons Corner VA...they had initially fumbled the special order for the guards a month ago..so went in..and talked to a very nice lady behind the counter who had traded her Impala in on the Maxx...she checked inventory..thinking she would have to special order them..and wouldnt you know they had both the front and rear in stock....$31 for each set.....got them home and tested fitted them all....and now my weekend project...simple installation..except to remove the rear wheels.......so will update later!!
  • Options
    Did a search and came up with this site...looks like there is a ground effects kit for the sedan...I would guess only the front piece would fit the maxx...

http://dealershipdesigns.com/malibu.html
  • Options
    here is another one as well...seems most are for the sedan and for chevy..the Cavalier......will just have to let the after market products catch up....might be a long wait if there isnt any demand...

http://www.razzi.com/recentreleases/new-malibu-04.shtml

if we are really interested...start sending emails to the manufacturer inquiring about the Maxx...seems most after market producers are missing this model in their databases....
  • Options
    Thanks...I read the details on the Razzi site...and found this...

"The '04 Malibu Ground Effects kit by Razzi will fit the Malibu Sedan models including the "LS" and the "LT". (The Malibu Maxx will be "Coming Soon") NOTE: The '04 Malibu is "J" priced."

I'm curious to see if they alter the design at all...the Maxx has a sportier look to it to start with than the sedan (IMO)...
  • Options
    I found this picture from gminsidenews...this is what I want to make my Maxx look like...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?s=f87cc34b92f3aa5b419- feb37e8887da2&act=Attach&type=post&id=66701
  • Options
    Im curious to see what they do different in the Maxx vice the sedan....except the side skirts....which Im not really interested in...would like to so something with the front and rear .......everything I see so far..also deletes the foglights as well.....I wish any manufacturer would install a decent set of foglights...my only real complain....my last three cars including the Maxx had the fogs....and all three are worthless...IMO....

nice sedan pic as well....a plus one or two wheel tire combination always looks good...
  • Options
    Im curious to see what they do different in the Maxx vice the sedan....except the side skirts....which Im not really interested in...would like to do something with the front and rear .......everything I see so far..also deletes the foglights as well.....I wish any manufacturer would install a decent set of foglights...my only real complain....my last three cars including the Maxx had the fogs....and all three are worthless...IMO....

nice sedan pic as well....a plus one or two wheel tire combination always looks good...
  • Options
    My "work" car is a 2001 Altima SE and it has fog lights...I think they are pretty good (first car I have owned with them).

I am encouraged that there will be some decent kits for the Maxx because I think it will be a strong seller. Plus, people like us see there is potential for something more sporty looking with relatively few customizations.

It has a look that some people don't like, but I love the look...except the combination of the large chrome strip and big chrome lights in front kinda screams "pedestrian" to me for some reason. That's why I think a body colored strip and/or body colored housings for the lights would be a pretty simple change that would result in a much sportier look...even without a ground effects kit.

I'd love to go a little bigger on the wheels...EVENTUALLY...right now it's not in the budget...
  • Options
    Wheels and new tires are next....and probably will be it for a while...prices ranges for what I found for the combination are are 750 to 1100....but need to wait a month or two before I order them......;ets keep the faith on the the after market products!
  • Options
    well was near the dealer (Koons Chey..Tyson Corner VA) who never managed to order the mud guards...and never followed up when I inquired about the status....soooooo just went to the parts dept..spoke with a very nice lady behind the counter (a Maxx owner as well) who initially stated it would be a special order item..but "let me check inventory just in case" and what do you know..they had both sets in stock....wonder if it was my original order......anyway...$31 for the each set (molded no logo)...installed the front set yesterday...easy to do....but the rear set..will require to remove the wheels..so that is a weekend task..again...easy install....two screws in predrilled holes...and one I have to drill..the fronts use two predrilled holes and two self drill....all easy..the guards fit nicely and well contoured to the body....

there was an initial thread from someone who had the dealer install them..and stated they had to trim the fronts to avoid tire rub....with these sets there is not tire rub..but they are two distinct parts numbers for the front and rear sets.
  • Options
    frayedgnotfrayedgnot Member Posts: 6
    Here's another site that offers the sunroof wind deflectors:
    http://www.wooddash.com/item/CHEVROLET_Wind_Deflectors_MALIBU_200- 4_05
  • Options
    just the update..got the front ones on in less than 15 mintues...easy to turn the wheel out to make room, however still not enough room to drill the hole for the bottom mounting tab of the front guards.....of course had to remove the rear wheels to mount the rear set....had to read the owners manual..(duh) to find the lug wrench location...its attached to the jack with a pull out lug socket...very easy to use...and no problems to jack the car to remover the wheels..all in all about about a 30 minute install for the rear and took the opporunity to touch up wheel well undercoating....the guards provide a sleek new line the to fenders....will try to get some pics later...raining here now
  • Options
    just my personal website..thanks for all the hits!

be sure the sign the guess book as well...cheers all
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For a story about plus-sized wheels, a reporter is looking to talk to drivers with plus-size wheels about how, if at all, the wheels have changed your driving experience, etc. If you would be willing to speak with this reporter, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your contact information. She will pass that along to the reporter who will contact you directly. Please respond by end-of-day Thursday, August 26. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    eskinner2004eskinner2004 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 LT I bought in July and bought the "molded" factory mudguards. They cost about $60 for the set of four, I installed them myself, which only took about 30 minutes and did require some minor drilling but no big deal. They look great and fit well.
  • Options
    has anyone looked into replacement with an aftermarket foglight such as PIAA or Hella....as usual most OEM foglights dont provide much use, am interested to see if anyone has done any research yet....as to compatibility of wiring harness, OEM switch, and possible replacements

cheers
  • Options
    If you already have fog lamps on your vehicle.......the OEM switch is a momentary input to body computer which activates relay in underhood electrical center to power up the fog lamps. The fusing for the wiring is only 10 Amp so if you went with something much thirstier you might need to upsize fuse and wiring. You have to turn on fog lamps each ignition cycle. They only work with ignition ON. You don't need to turn on any lamps to get fog lamps to work. Just press the fog lamp switch and it will turn on the park lamps for you automatically

If your vehicle does not have fog lamps then all of the wiring and OEM switch is NOT there and the body computer has that function turned off
  • Options
    go information to know...i have foglights already...so. I assume it is a standard 55 watt bulb in the foglights as well...again will have to look at my owners manual to confirm
  • Options
    You know, The owner manual doesn't show the replacement fog lamp bulb.

So to let you know the Malibu uses an 881x trade number bulb which is only 27 watt.

A 55 Watt bulb would be type that you would possible want to consider larger fuse (15 Amp). The Pontiac G6 for example uses an H-11 bulb which is 55 Watt
  • Options
    found this site this is offering the spoiler for the maxx....OEM color matched that mounts on the lower deck..below the window....comments on the looks??

http://www.autotoyaz.com/spfast20mama.html
  • Options
    well, I'm not sure it adds that much to the looks; in fact, I usually need to have my hand on top of the lid when slamming the gate closed, so the spoiler might get in the way (depending on how fragile it is). I sure do like it better than having the spoiler on the top of the car however.
  • Options
    Interesting...it looks like they took the spoiler from the sedan and put it on the Maxx.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I am not a fan of spoilers. I wish I could do away with the one on the Bonneville. When it rains water collects inside along the outside tips and does not run off. Open the trunk and the residual water drains back along the sides and spills into the trunk. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the rear hatch on the MAXX in the rain and the water did not run into the back of the car. I also prefer the clean look with out the spoiler.
  • Options

just posting for the newcomers to the forum....cheers
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I'm looking to get a set of mud guards for my 04 LT Sedan... any suggestions?
  • Options
    I got the GM OEM set for the Maxx from a local dealer..easy to install....you do have to remove the rear wheels to angle in the screw driver....and minor drilling required..one for each guard as I recall, underneath...so may have to jack the vehicle or use ramps.....I would recommend them....about $30 a set....and there are different parts numbers for the front and rear sets..check back a few messages..I think someone posted the parts numbers
  • Options
    bigals87z28bigals87z28 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone change there tires yet? Im looking at getting a set of the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred tires. They are a bit expensive, but a good tire non the less.
  • Options
    no, but I am a huge fan of the Uni-T technology on Firestone's H rated tires. The Maxx really needs an H rated tire to corner better at higher speeds. In time, I will once again buy the Firestone Dayton Daytonas (I've owned 2 sets), or take Connor's advice at the Tire Rack and get Firestone's Bridgestone Potenza.
  • Options
    I like the potenza as well ..had a set on my honda accord a while back...65K on them and looked like new...I have thought about changing..tires..and adding new rims..but they are extremely hard to find..to fit this car...only three cars with this bolt pattern currently....soooooooo may just wait...agree with amxx4me...does need a better tire for cornering...however all OEM tires tend to be the low end of a brand name line......cheers!
This discussion has been closed.