Options

2000 Chevy Prizm A/C Delete Kit? Use 2000 Toyota Corolla A/C bypass pulley?

mazy2000mazy2000 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
Hi all.
I have a 2000 Chevy Prizm and the bearing is going on the A/C compressor, it makes an awful noise.However I don't want to put nearly $1000 into the car replacing the unit. My mechanic suggested I could get an A/C delete kit. After calling around and doing some online research it seems that GM doesn't make such a thing.

My question is could I use an A/C bypass pulley for 2000 Toyota Corolla for my Prizm?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it's just the AC clutch bearing, can't you just unplug it? If it's the AC compressor bearing, you'd better do something before the compressor seizes.

In any event, it's hard to say without looking at both cars. In theory the Corolla kit would work but very often when two cars share an engine, there are often changes to mounting holes for various accessories. As long as you can return the parts, then go for it and see if it matches up. But don't let the compressor seize!
  • Options
    mazy2000mazy2000 Member Posts: 2
    After doing more research, I decided to go with a shorter belt and not risk having the delete kit not fit. The Gates Century Series Micro-V - Serpentine Belt Part # K060605, made for 2000 Prizms that have no A/C fit perfectly. It was under $30 for the part and around $50 for labor at my local auto repair shop. They did not need to remove the A/C compressor.