Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Hey Johnny, you said in a previous post in the tranny forum you have pushed your 07 V6 SE to the limits. Care to discuss what those limits are? Just how fast does this thing go anyway?
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Franc,
    Our 2007 LE 4 cyl 5 spd w/500 miles shifting and running beautifully, this is a very nice car. No hunting problems that you reference, and we have been trying to rack up the miles with multiple drivers using it whenever going anywhere. Perhaps we have a fast learner.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Its worth noting that Philly, which is just about an hour and half from North/Central NJ... is in a totally different Toyota distribution zone, and I've found the vehicles on the lots are generally equipped differently. (Philly is in Central Atlantic Toyota and most of NJ is in Greater NY Region).

Go to buyatoyota.com and use a Philly Zip Code like 19102 where I live and you'll see what I mean.

~alpha
  • Options
    yakapoyakapo Member Posts: 3
    so can you get a v6 with a standard trans?

hmm... if so i wonder how fast it is? Road and track listed the auto v6 at 6.1 sec. 0 to 60 and 14.5 in the quarter mile.
  • Options
    petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    I believe the V6 is available in the automatic transmission only. Drive one and mash the pedal from a stop - you'll see how fast it is, and how great the engine growl is. ;)
  • Options
    tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Why in the world would you want to abuse a new car in such a manner, driving over 100 MPH and slamming on your brakes at 95 MPH. Not only is it abusive to the car, it is very very dangerous. I sure wouldn't want to be the one to buy a used car from you, even if it is a Toyota!
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    What is it you don't like about the Maxx?
  • Options
    I live on Staten Island, NY. Not a lot of snow or off road driving, so really don't need AWD. But I do need better MPG than the Legacy has. Gas prices pretty high here and it's just going to go up! Thanks Mr President!
  • Options
    Mazda 6 is too much on the tight end of midsize! With a starting MRSP 22210, I could get cars with a larger interior. A large interior size, at least 105 cubic feet, is what I'm looking for. For example, the Hyundai Sonata has 105 cu. ft. passenger volume and starting MSRP for 2.4L engine is 19395! Also the Malibu Maxx has 106 cu. ft. passenger volume, starting MSRP is 20165! If anyone doubts the Malibu is a good car, it recieved a SILVER rating by IIHS! J.D. Power overall ratings for Malibu was 5 out of 5 circles! Did I mention the Maxx has a V6 and gas mileage is 22 city, 30 highway! No ratings for Mazda 6 on JD Power, I don't take risks, IIHS scores were average at best, like I said 'don't take risks! Scores for Prius were good but with all new models there are always problems down the road. Especially since I don't think that hybrid technology isn't perfected yet. Still too new. I know most Toyota's run 200,000 miles, but will the Prius? :confuse:
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Like everything else the taking care of it will keep it in shape.

There is no maintenance do to on the electrical system..none at all. There isn't the normal 'transmission' to get clunky. It too requires no maintenance at all. The plugs go 100K or more. The engine is the only variable really. It's Toyota's most basic 1.5L which is used throughout the world well into the 200,000 mile range. The brakes due to the regenerative technology have been reported to go 100K without any adjustments. In my four Camry's I've never replaced brakes at any time ( 500,000+ miles ).

Hybrid technology is scary to many buyers but it's been around for 10 yrs now and the only thing to watch out for is the gasoline engine.. just like any ohter car. Get with a knowledgeable sales person and you'll be surprised.
  • Options
    03cobra03cobra Member Posts: 37
    If it had summer weather low profile performance tires, that may account for road noise. It may also account for the "jittery feeling ride" on certain roads.

I have a well traveled road by my house that is traveled by many heavy trucks(gravel trucks, dump trucks.) Those trucks have created ruts, or tracks in the road. When I travel on that road with my Landcruiser, I notice very little, but when I travel the road in my 540I with low profile tires, I can really feel the car "grab those ruts" and some may think that the car gets jittery. If you can deal with the road noise, you may want to try a SE on a concrete highway to determine the ride.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    This is a Camry forum!!!!!
  • Options
    paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Has anyone had a chance to compare the paint on a US built vs a Japan built. Are the individual plants painting systems producing equal finishes ?
  • Options
    dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    The forum is about the Camry, not to make uniformed political remarks. The President doesn't decide what gas prices are going to be. Neither does Exxon or Mobil for that matter. It's called the market.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I am looking for a 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual 2007 Camry. Are there any available in the New England area? When will they be available?
  • Options
    cgmax2kcgmax2k Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone upgraded the base stereo? I didnt get the 440 Watt JBL system, which I regret, so I was wondering if it could be installed after the fact or maybe just add a Toyota/JBL AMP or just change the speakers?
  • Options
    poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Years ago I was big on Subaru, I even bought my ex girlfriend a new 1993 Imprezza without AWD. She still drives it to this day with about 150,000 miles on it. She has had some minor paint and body work to combat rust, and a new half shaft, that's about it. I have concerns over quality at Subie lately, mostly concerning North American built cars. I have heard a few negative comments mostly concerning electrical functions. I have always worried about Subie after G.M bought a controlling share of the company. Subie used to be big on engineering not on bling, lately bling seems to be in.

Toyota used to make a Camry wagon. While not a big seller in the U.S, heck I'm not sure even if they sold it in the States. It was sold at a time when wagons were passé. Wagons are not passé anymore and I would appreciate the size and quality of the Camry over the Subie. AWD is not a must, even though I live in the snow belt. If they make a wagon version they should take a page out of the Subie book and make a hot version. Spice it up a bit and people will buy. Wagons and hatches are becoming cool again.

I have just read on the Toyota Japan website that the Camry will also be built in the Subaru Indiana plant, in partnership with Fuji Heavy Industries. The two lines currently building the Legacy, Outback, Baja and Tribeca will be amalgamated into one line and the Camry will be built on the free line. 100,000 units a year. Hopefully with good quality.
  • Options
    mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    Good luck, Im having to go to DC area, from Texas, to get mine.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Gosh, the writer of that review must have had issues. He blasted the Camry LE's interior fit and finish. This is the second negative/lukewarm article I read on the new Camry. The trolls must be out lately.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, what do you expect from the "home team" reporters? Objectivity?

Besides they used the common tactic of picking a price point (about $25,000), which means a 4-cyl Camry LE went up against a Fusion SEL (top of the line) V6. Still, the Fusion cost a little more.

So no surprise that the Fusion won in the power category, and they glossed over the better mpg of the Camry. They did however, acknowledge that ABS and side airbags are standard on the Camry, but only optional on the Fusion.

My employer just bought a bare bones 2007 LE, and I see no interior fit or finish issues. The base cloth has a nice, soft feel to it.
  • Options
    cantfish2muchcantfish2much Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this condition.
    I own a 2007 Camry XLE (without NAV) and twice now in the last month, the audio system workdc, but the volume control both on the unit and on the steering wheel would not work at all. I could hear everything, change stations, change from am to fm to satellite etc, but in no way could I alter the volume. Both times this happened, I had to actually power off the whole car, restart it and then everything works just fine. I called the local dealer, but they do not have any reports of this. Has anybody else seen this?
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Exactly. The article is so poorly written and there is such a big difference in the trims being compared - that the comparision is just ridiculous.

Its like another article that I googled saying the SE V-6 suspension/handling is worse than a Honda Accord particulary at highway speeds - but what trim Accord - who knows. They need to add some details not make blanket statements. I want to take in all information before I purchase. I think the comments on the thread are generally more informative than these mags.
  • Options
    I feel you can get a pretty good overall portrait of a car's true colors by considering Consumer Reports (anal, cars as appliances) and Car and Driver (objective and subjective comparision scoring, great comparos, well written, heavily flavored toward sport), and the IIHS (for crash tests.

Of course thats just me, but considering these three official sources, you'll get opinions from different viewpoints, great instrumented data, and a great safety snapshot.

~alpha
  • Options
    I agree with you -- 3 different sources, coming from 3 different angles, but you get a complete picture. Then use Edmunds for free pricing information (CR charges)!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I concur completely. Then of course drive the vehicle to verify your opinions.
  • Options
    glanwinglanwin Member Posts: 28
    I do have some interior issues on my barebone 07 Camry LE 4 cyl. I told my wife that I should have bought a XLE not this cheapo :mad: .

If you take a look at area surrounded sun glass holder and push the map lights. You will feel the cheap materials over there :cry: . Of course, my wife has already complained that there is no vanity lights whcih I do not care at all :).
  • Options
    I haven't checked out my employer's '07 Camry LE in this area, but I can tell you that the map lights and sunglass holder are identical in my '04 LE and '05 XLE, except the former has the sunroof switch in the middle, and the latter has the Homelink buttons. Same hard plastic, but at least the sunglass holder opens with a damped action. Not a deal breaker for me.

With respect to the vanity mirrors, the XLE's are lighted, while the LE's are not (like I care).
  • Options
    zulf_szulf_s Member Posts: 8
    Actually, I just upgraded my 2007 Camry SE. I wanted to keep the factory look and feel but I need more base. So I took my 6 channel Alpine amp and Kicker sub-woofer out of storage and proceeded to rip apart my brand new car. If you want to know the details, let me know.

:shades:
  • Options
    gefiltegefilte Member Posts: 21
    the last thing i want is my girlfriend not being able to put on her eye shadow before we leave the car.must i drive an xle in order to have a hot date? doesn't toyota care about us anymore? :shades:
  • Options
    chittychitty Member Posts: 5
    Please let me know how you wired that Amp for your sub in the Camry. I want to wire my Alpine w/ my Infinty Perfert 12.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'm in the same boat. Have three females in our household, and a lighted vanity mirror has become the only sore point with this LE. I've been looking for aftermarket replacement sun visors, but can't seem to find any. I would have thought that somebody makes them.....heck, maybe a new business opportunity!

I guess I could go to Toyota, and order a set of XLE visors if all else fails (probably about 500 each).
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please don't post your email address. There is a request to that effect just above the post box and generally we will remove messages containing email addresses. This is for your own protection as well as the fact that we'd like the conversations to take place here in the Forums for all to benefit.

If you want other Forums members to be able to have your address, all you have to do is make it public in your profile.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cgmax2kcgmax2k Member Posts: 27
    Zulf_s

Please provide details. very interested in doing something with the stereo but like you I dont want to change the head unit.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Should have done your homework before the purchase.

Visor gives you the mirror but the light is in the headliner.
  • Options
    ltjggillespieltjggillespie Member Posts: 7
    I have the same model and the other day the volume would not respond. Seemed to work after I turned it off a couple of times. Let's hope it's not a serious/continual problem.
  • Options
    faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Once my '07 Camry's stereo/radio/CD had no sound at all for a few seconds, it displayed the functions and volume was at 16: I turned it off then on again and it was fine. Just a temporary Gremlin, I guess... :confuse:
  • Options
    And was duly impressed.

Briefly, my observations over the 10 mile test drive.

The vehicle, an LE 4, exhibited excellent fit and finish, both inside and out. Although I was concerned at first by the vehicle's weight gain and the incremental gain in power, this 4 feels at least as strong as the 4 in my parents' 02 Camry LE, though really, I think it may test slightly quicker. It also has a more refined sound, and seemed to rev more easily to redline. If fuel economy lives up to expectations, I'm not nearly as disappointed as I was upon first learning there wasnt a significant power upgrade. The standard ULEV-II rating is also a boon for those concerned about the enviornment.

The biggest improvement, by and large? Brake pedal feel. I couldn't believe I was driving a bread and butter Camry 4; for years, the pedal has been mush. Not so anymore. (I'd also be shocked if didnt stop shorter owing to more tire contact patch and 4 wheel discs with greater swept area).

Steering feel has also improved, and one doesnt get the Buick impression that the wheel could be turned by a single pinky; its firmer but not artificially firm (as in some Nissans). It's not an Accord, but its probably a very agreeable compromise for the folks who own a previous generation Camry and others lookign for more feel. I did not have the opportunity to take any hard corners, but upon first impressions, I'd chose this vehicle easily over its predecessor. (No SEs were available that hadnt already been sold).

The front seats seem to offer more lateral and lumbar support, and in my brief occupancy time, I liked them better than the '02-'06, and the telescoping wheel is a notable improvement. Note, though, it did seem like the seat cushion bottom was any longer, for those concerned about that... I do not know the official specs.

I liked the interior styling and materials, especially the seat cloth.

However, I felt the control panel dimmer switch, now in the dash, to be flimsy. And the cabin does not feel as 'airy' as in the previous generation, though it is certainly still large. The stereo display is oversized (why?) and the font is very 1980s. Finally, along my list of demerits, while I love the Optitron instrumentation, in direct sunlight, it felt as though it it didnt have the contrast of the previous generation.

The storage areas are many and useful; I loved the trick door on the passenger side for concealing my iPod wires.

Overall, a very enjoyable drive, and a great family car. For me, I'll take the SE and the V6, thank you very much.

~alpha
  • Options
    caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    I called crutchfield the other day and they told me that currently there are no after market speakers that will fit in the 2007 camry locations.... :confuse: They said that they are 6x9's in the front and rear. The front look more like 6 1/2 to me but I havent ripped the door panels off yet to check
  • Options
    This has been discussed before. Read the forum entries or use the search function.
  • Options
    Can you direct me to the message please?
  • Options
    I have found nothing that relates to speaker upgrades. All I can find is info about the head units.
  • Options
    johny641johny641 Member Posts: 15
    Please let me know how the installation of your stereo went and how you did it and if it was sucessful and anything you might reccomend because i was thinking of changing my speakers and also adding some subs.
  • Options
    Message 2241 on speaker sizes which seemed to be the question in your post.
  • Options
    johny641johny641 Member Posts: 15
    No the SE V6 with moonroof also has the lighted vanity mirror with rear dome lights as well
  • Options
    cwopete2cwopete2 Member Posts: 6
    Owned the car 4 days now. The car had over 300 miles on it when bought new off the lot. Now has 455 miles and runs very well. Heard all the discussion about transmission problems. Car was built March 2006 in USA with 3500 series last 4 VIN so hopefully problem bypassed us. Car shifts much better than 2005 SE V-6 traded in for new car. Love the smooth, quite ride. Handles effortlessly. Car has every option except NAV system. Stereo is awesome; doesn't have to be turned up too loud for decent fidelity; panel lights up really cool at night, love cruising and listening to the stereo. Parked the car outside the credit union this afternoon and passer-by remarked "nice car". Not many new Camry's on the road yet so cruising in a Red XLE Camry is a unique experience. So far, probably the nicest car I've ever owned. :shades:
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I read that the SE’s are equipped with summer performance tires (Toyo Proxes J33 models rated P215/55R17). I am not familiar tires, but will this be good for the rainy days in the San Francisco Bay Area (not to bring this car where one will experience some snow I guess).

I am interested in the SE and would like to know if this should be a concern. Thank you.

FiloD
  • Options
    blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    There is a n/c option (code AS) that replaces those tires w/ All Season Performance Tires.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for those speaker sizes. Did you take off your door panels to see these sizes? Like I said, crutchfield told me nothing would fit currently due to the odd shape of the factory speakers. Did you manage to get some after market sets in your camry?
  • Options
    No, it came from the JBL website. They supply the speakers and amp for the 440 watt system but not the headunit

I have no reason to change my speakers.