Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R

1235»

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I am an AWD fan. So by default I'll like the Skyline/GTR. I liked the old skylines yup.

So the new GTR has a hand built trans. Good luck when it comes time to repair that baby.... :(

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    $70k for an "exotic" car with an automatic transmission?

You know as well as I do that there are cars costing 4 times that (and more) that can only be had with a so-called "automatic" transmission.

Do those trannies cost more than that in the GTR? Sure. Are they still automatics by some definitions? Yes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    You know as well as I do that there are cars costing 4 times that (and more) that can only be had with a so-called "automatic" transmission.

Do those trannies cost more than that in the GTR? Sure. Are they still automatics by some definitions? Yes.

It doesn't make it right though!

That's the beauty of the internet, we can have crazy whacked out opinions!

-mike
  • Options
    tonycarltonycarl Member Posts: 4
    Well, I'm all for what's best for the consumer. Automatics and SMG's will always cost more to make and manufacture. It's Nissans call to configure the car this way for mostly performance reasons. Sure, everything has it's pros and cons.

Swift Engineering sold hand-built limited production Formula Atlantic gearboxes for around $20k. Most of the parts required to build it were supplied by Hewland, Quaife, etc. You're right about the possiblity of not being able to go down to Kragen or Autozone to get GT-R transmission parts. How much Infinity will charge for labor I assume would be the same hourly rate they would charge on any other Infinity. Maybe the GT-R will have a lifetime warranty on their transmissions?

I don't know very much about the transmission going into the GT-R, but I think they also might have chose it for it's ability to handle the powerband in an AWD configuration. It's also a 7 speed so it has more options to choose different gear ratios for race circuit applications.
  • Options
    You still won't get the connected feeling of a manual, no matter what you tell me, you aren't gonna convince me that it's a good thing. This coming from someone who has raced automatics and manuals in AWD cars on road courses.

-mike
  • Options
    blkbr0thablkbr0tha Member Posts: 25
    Just saw this and thought I would share.. its kind of old- but hey the pics speak for themselves!! Enjoy

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-nissan-gt-r-live-reveal/454772/
  • Options
    skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    Dealer markups to push GT-R pricing as high as $129,000.

Although the Nissan GT-R will sticker for about $69,000 when it goes on sale in the U.S. later this year, prospective buyers will be hard pressed to find any Nissan dealers to offer the supercar at that price. The combination of the GT-R's limited availability and Nissan's lack of dealer pricing control could see some of the turbocharged coupes going for as high as $129,000 — nearly double the car's MSRP.

Exhaustnote.com called on 15 Nissan dealers through the United States and found that the GT-R will command at least $20,000 over its window sticker. Several dealers even said they were going to handle GT-R sales like an auction, pitting prospective buyers against one another.

One dealership in Carson, California said they would markup the GT-R by about $50,000 — joking the markup would be about the same as a new Nissan 350Z and Sentra.

The highest markup found was $60,000, bringing the GT-R's out-the-door price to a staggering $129,000.

The huge markups are due to extremely limited availability of Nissan's latest supercar — only 1,500 GT-Rs will be available in the U.S. this year. Most dealerships will only get 2 or 3 cars, but most have waiting lists at least 40 people deep.

While Nissan has counseled its dealers on markups — one of the GT-R's greatest assets was supposed to be amazing performance at a value price — the Japanese automaker has no control over how much dealers will actually charge.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    i think it was pnc4 that said that the GT-R is a front engine vehicle. If i recall correctly, the engine is over or behind the front axle, not in front of it. I think at that point, it would be considered a front mid-engine vehicle. Nissan also counters the engine weight by putting the transmission in the rear of the vehicle as well, helping keep the weight balanced. I would think that between that, and the AWD, that the car handles just fine - not twitchy like pnc4 suggested.

and if you can believe what you read in these car mags, many drivers have stated that they feel comfortable and confident pushing the GT-R to its limits, far more so than the 911 or any other exotic sportscar they've driven before...

something to be said for that i think....

-thene :-)
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    :surprise:

Looks like the long arm of the law came sweeping through here.

Also looks like you've got that all correct, thene. Based on what I've read as well, all you said is accurate. The point has been brought up a number of times, but people are voicing concern over the difference in weight between the Turbo and GT-R. I believe that the GT-R is 300lbs heavier. Thought pattern is that will make the vehicle seem less manageable.

/shrug

-moo
  • Options
    i wish i could TEST DRIVE the GT-R so i could provide some feedback on that particular issue (weight vs. managability), however i highly doubt that i'll get that opportunity anytime soon.

i can only base what i know on what i read, and there seems to be a large majority that indicate that the weight does not affect the handling as much as some people would think...

who knows! im just bored at work and feel that the GT-R is far more interesting than anything going on here :P

-thene :)
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    I wish the thing would hit the lots already so we can stop speculating and get firsthand feedback from real buyers. The funny thing is, I bet I'm going to be able to drive one sooner than the Nissan salesguys. I'll bet ya anything we get one as a trade-in shortly after they are released.

-moo
  • Options
    i wouldn't doubt it - im guessing the people who have the money to buy one will get one, drive it a bit, and then trade it in for another toy.

i may have to save my pennies for a used one in a couple of years...it would be perfect as a sports car in the wonderfully snowy northeast!

if you get a chance to drive it moo - please let us know what you think!

im excited because im going to NYIAS in march and i'll just get to see it in person, which i can't wait for! that and the new maxima, and the cube...

cars are great!

-thene :)
  • Options
    240ka240ka Member Posts: 2
    i wouldnt count on that. People dont buy and trade in cars like the Skyline or GT-R
  • Options
    im talking in a few years, and i think that there will be some floating around then...

who knows, maybe in a few years i'll have enough to buy one new ;-)

don't go killing my dreams 240ka! :-P

-thene
  • Options
    audiom3aaudiom3a Member Posts: 1
    is the new GTR going to have a limiter at 112mph for the U.S???
  • Options
    vqpowervqpower Member Posts: 2
    no...where did you get that?
  • Options
    My Armada doesn't even have a speed limiter at 112, it's drag limited at 117!

-mike
  • Options
    bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    The Japanese version has a 112 mph speed limiter. That's probably why he asked.
  • Options
    gtrtechgtrtech Member Posts: 1
    some shots from last week myspace.com/2009nissangtr
  • Options
    greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    We just got the GT-R's brouchure in. It was one big box with one brouchure for the store and some 2 inch by 2 inch pieces with actual paint on them. These were things you could hold in your hand. Not just looking at them in a picture. Pretty fancy stuff!!

GP
  • Options
    xelementxelement Member Posts: 4
    How did you get the brochure? Did you request it online?
  • Options
    dav0dav0 Member Posts: 1
    Dealerships in Southern California are fabricating sell-outs likes its 1967. Nissan Corona actually explained via phone last Saturday, "We were allocated one more this past week, but I just talked to a guy who wants to come in and buy the last one. If you beat him in you can buy it, MSRP + $15k."

I called tonight and they reported having two left (allocated 5, 3 sold). But wait, during our 30 second phone conversation, they just found out an additional one had sold, so now they only have one left!

Other dealerships appear more patient and are just stacking their wait lists, likely to see just how far they push the mark-up.

I guess car salesmanship has really progressed since our folks were buying cars.
  • Options
    kukkuk Member Posts: 2
    Why don't GM or whoever makes this car cut the chase and make enough of those vehicles... Yes, it is very fast, but people don't have to pay a speculative 8 grand over MSRP just because the car maker artifitially limits it's production.
  • Options
    kukkuk Member Posts: 2
    I wonder why the car's automaker cannot make enough of those vehicles to satisfy the market demand and avoid speculative sale prices?
  • Options
    They can, but then it wouldn't garner the MAP and the allure of a "supercar".

-mike
  • Options
    They can, but then it wouldn't garner the MAP and the allure of a "supercar".

That's why I actually like GM's marketing strategy for the Corvette better. Its a budget supercar. Its the performance and the name that sells it, not exclusivity. And because of that, they'll build about as many as are ordered. And it hasn't watered down the allure of the Z06.

Nissan has the performance and the name 'GT-R' behind it as well. If a select few are willing to pay 5-figures over sticker for it, even more people would be willing to pay sticker. I honestly think everyone would benefit from it, especially Nissan.

On the other hand, they might not want to throw them all out there the first year. Give us a taste and test the waters before ramping up production. Hard to tell before they have even started selling here.
  • Options
    they might not want to throw them all out there the first year.

If there are say 40,000 people that want one in 2009, that's probably the limit to their market. Maybe another 20,000 people will become legitimately ready to purchase this car in the next decade? Not everyone in America is going to have one in their driveway, no matter how good of a performer it is.

So why build 60,000 in year one and basically sell yourself out of the market instead of average 6000 a year for 10 years?

And since our economy is based on growth, they have to 'ramp up' production to look like they are doing 'the same' year after year.

Though I agree, they should have started with more than 1000-1500. The markups will be significant for that reason.

And you already know its not GM that makes it.
  • Options
    ace47ace47 Member Posts: 6
    Gee, you people really do your research research, don't you? Nissan can't supply more cars because the engines and the transmission are hand built which limits their production to only a thousand a month. If you want the shell alone, you can get it right away. You people wouldn't be complaining if this was a Porche with twice the pricetag and they told you that you would recieve it by the year 2010.
  • Options
    Also on a world level, the GT-R is at least on par if not far past that of the Vette. The previous generation GT-Rs were/are highly sought after vehicles.

On a side note, I was in an R8 over the weekend at Pocono Raceway at our NASA Northeast HPDE and the car is fairly amazing, and I'm not an Audi fan at all.

-mike
  • Options
    ajgarciaajgarcia Member Posts: 1
    i would really love to get a hold of one of this beauties, but i heard that to replace the breaks is going to cost $6,000 dollars since you will have to replace all discs, and if you have a problems with a tire you will have to replace all tires d/t computerized traction

ajgarcia
  • Options
    Any AWD car needs the tires to be replaced in sets of 4 due to the AWD system.

Rotors should be replaced in pairs on all cars.

I'm not sure the rotors will cost $5000 but they might cost $1000 for rotors and pads on the GTR, not uncommon for a near super-car.

-mike
  • Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    $1000 for rotors and pads? Not uncommon for a 10 year old BMW 3-series. In fact, that would be cheap. And you have to replace the rotors every time you replace the pads.
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Not sure which 10 year old 3-series you are talking about, but a quick online check shows parts price for 98 328 in the range of $400, give or take a few. My 2003 M5 does cost somewhere around $1200 or so. Also, for anyone who does not use dealer for service, rotors will easily last 2 sets of pads
  • Options
    My ' 98 323ic was around $1300 at the dealer, a bit less than a $1000 from an independent. Call me a wuss, but I'd be a little afraid to take a hot lap in an M5 with someone who extends their rotor usage beyond BMW's recommendations.
  • Options
    Ok, you are a wuss. :P
    So you are calculating labor into the equation as well, which I kind of suspected. I know we are going off topic a bit here, hopefully the moderators won't mind too much. BMW rotors are thinner (compared to other makers) to save unsprung weight, which is why BMW recommends replacing at every pad change to be on the safe side. However, as long as the rotor hasn't worn beyond halfway to minimum thickness at the first pad change, I don't see why it needs to be changed. This is not just my opinion, but many owners I come across on M5board.com or Yahoo 5-series group.

I just tend to not follow BMW recommendation and change when necessary, which is why I also change engine oil every 7500 miles and trans/diff oil every 30,000 against BMW recommendation.
  • Options
    So, the real question is how much at GT-R brake job would be. Can't be any cheaper than that.
  • Options
    johnbrentjohnbrent Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    Anyone who spends $90k on a car can afford an expensive brake job. So far I've seen 2 at the track, one came in a car hauler (You know the 18 wheeler kind) and another was driven to the track. They actually dynoed one there and guess what? It put down 445hp AT THE WHEELS with about a 23-27% loss factor for the driveline and you come out to a lot more hp than advertised :)

-mike
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with the M5 driver. I track my car regularly and I do my fluid and brake changes when they are needed regardless of what the owners manual says to do em.

-mike
  • Options
    I'd like to see the income demographics on the GTR buyer. I would guess they make far less than the average 911 driver. I am not convinced the average GTR buyer is ready for the maintenance costs on these cars.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Still, it seems like no one is getting GTR for less than $100,000, so one would think that the potential buyer will be able to afford maintenance on this thing.
  • Options
    I've seen none on the road and 2 of them at 2 of our 3 track events since the car shipped. So these folks are not Buffy and Muffin who want to impress their doctor and lawyer neighbors. These guys are hard core or soon to be hard core track-drivers and as such know the maintenance costs associated with tracking one's car. I have another friend in the brake industry already developing pads and rotors for these cars so the price for replacements will come down rather quickly.

-mike
  • Options
    I would guess anybody who buys the first few cars that come out for $20-30K over list price are not representative of the typical buyer. Clearly these types have plenty of disposable income whether they are buying a Thunderbird, a GT-R or any other flavor of the day.
  • Options
    I would guess anybody who buys the first few cars that come out for $20-30K over list price are not representative of the typical buyer. Clearly these types have plenty of disposable income whether they are buying a Thunderbird, a GT-R or any other flavor of the day.

I agree, however they aren't going to be producing a large enough number where these cars would sell for "cheap" ever. At best you might get one for MSRP, and in my book anyone buying a car for $70K+ has plenty of disposable income.

The old addage "gotta pay to play" comes to mind. Same reason why although I have recently looked at a 2005 Maserati Coupe for $36k which I could afford easily, after reviewing the maintenance schedule and costs, I can't afford that portion of it :(

-mike
  • Options
    tyndagotyndago Member Posts: 1
    http://www.2009gtr.com/2008/12/power-enterprise-quad-charged-gt-r.html

A quad charged GT-R. Twin Rotrex superchargers and stock twin turbos on this Power Enterprise demo GT-R.

The setup includes two Rotrex C30-94 superchargers, 650 cc injectors, an ECU, strengthened wastegate actuators , air intake, intercooler pipes, and an exhaust
  • Options
    Intended to Edmunds:

Any plans to go to Japan to test the first of the customer-owned SpecV's?
  • Options
    xwayzzxwayzz Member Posts: 4
    I agree 110%!!!! Folks..and these automakers, have forgotten that service on these vehicles has become sooooo unrealistic and out of control, that gas and insurance is the least of your issues. When service A comes (a fancy way of taking your money for an oil change and it's also Latin for "dumb-[non-permissible content removed] should of bought American") around, you will face a $340 charge and all else follows. "gotta pay to play".....110% correct. :P

xwayzz
  • Options
    2 Chevy "TrailBlazers". When they catch fire, they light the trail for you.

2 Ford "Exploders". 'Nuff said.

1 Dodge pickup. Wish I'd dodged that bullet.

2 Cadillacs. No jokes on this one, those were absolute nightmares . Seats, lights, mirrors, horns. Anything breakable on those cars, broke. :sick:

I've given American vehicles plenty of opportunities. So far they've let me down spectacularly.
  • Options
    kunanikunani Member Posts: 1
    Yeah as you know mine is modifed but not to that extent. Fluids are expensive in this car and anyone wanting to track it should be aware of the total cost of fluids for the transmission if they intend to keep their warranty.

Here is mine on the dyno during a custom tuning session. Each transmission fluid change is at least $600 + labor, at a dealer about $1k total not including oil or diff fluids, add another $1k to that and warranty states fluid changes if you track it or heat levels pass 230 degrees every 1800 miles. Not cheap by any means.

http://www.apexkings.com/entry.php/18-Budez-GTR-Dyno-Tuned-at-HB-Speed
This discussion has been closed.