Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    since we haven't talked about the styling in awhile I figured I'd post this quote from part of the Edmunds review that I feel sums up the styling in a positive and accurate way(except calling it a van-ute....shudder), and also because any post now I'm about to start complaining about gas mileage again.

"My fears and my expectations were summarily reversed after driving the B9 Tribeca. After seeing the new Subaru in photos, I expected to be unimpressed, visually speaking. But when it appeared in the Edmunds lot, in person before my very eyes, I was surprised by how much presence the van-ute has.

That good feeling lasts and even grows the longer the B9 hangs around. It's a good-looking vehicle that gets noticed, looks modern in traffic, and adds to the aesthetic value of any driveway, soccer field or pediatrician's office it's parked in front of."
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I missed the link for online accesories... what is it please!
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    because any post now I'm about to start complaining about gas mileage again

Before you started, I need to report mine. I took a 150-mile trip a few days ago to the beach. With 6 people (two kids) and lugages occuping every available space in car and almost 100-degree weather( so AC is in full blast). Average mileage is 23 mpg with mostly highway driving. Now after the trip, my local mileage now stays around 19 mpg somehow from 16 mpg before the trip. Either my wife learnt how to drive the car or something happens during the trip (I passed 1,000-mile break in mark during the trip). I don't know.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    to quote edmunds review again

"The engine also gets a little rough, a little noisy and a little thirsty when it's on boil, and it drinks premium. We averaged 21 mpg on the highway, 16.5 mpg during normal driving and a dismal 13.4 mpg driving like the Duke boys."

I recently was getting like 11 something mpg on recent stint where i had to really punch it a few times and drive it hard. I realize this does make a huge difference but 11 something mpg is the lowest I have yet to get in the B9 and was really pissed. I have over 2,000 miles now and expected it to be better.

Again I still don't believe these ppl getting 20-25 mpg when the highest i've gotten is like 18 if that. I usually avg about 15 something and I have kept the second trip meter and accompanying gas mileage avg un reset from the start of the car and so my lifetime mpg is also 15 point something.

I usually reset each tank and I have built it back up since getting as low as 11 on this tank but it still sucks as I often like to do quick accelerations etc and push it a little and i used to drive like that the majority of the time so i can only imagine how bad the mpg would be.

I do agree the gauge helps me watch if i'm running late or just having fun and have had to really push it I see the results and then try to make it back with some real easy driving so that it evens out for that tank.

Regardless I read that diesel is sometimes even better mpg then a hybrid and especially at higher speeds so that would be the way to go for me and I feel maybe I should have gotten a Touareg V10 TDI (which they don't seem to make anymore). Except for the fact that it isn't recommended by CR, its more expensive, and current diesel fuel is bad for the environment until clean bio diesel fule is more readily available in the U.S.

Then there is the question of hybrid diesel cars which supposedly would be the ultimate but don't exist yet and this article explains.
    http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000791.html

"Stylish sedans coupling the power of a diesel engine with extreme fuel efficiency better than anything coming out of Japan -- dealers wouldn't be able to keep them in stock."

Consider all your alternatives. You don't have to go hybrid to get better-than-average mileage -- and you don't have to stick to small cars, either. FuelEconomy.gov keeps a list of the most and least fuel-efficient vehicles in each class of cars. You might want to take a look at today's diesel cars as well. The diesel versions of Volkswagen's Beetle and its Jetta and Passat Wagons were named the most fuel-efficient in their class.
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    I just got back from a ~500 mile round trip from the Twin Cities to northern Wisconsin. In driving mostly on two-lane highways at ~60mph, I averaged 25.5 mpg. No exaggeration. I didn't drive like the Duke boys, and there are sufficient passing lanes on US Hwy 8 that I rarely needed to pull into the oncoming lane to pass.
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    I have about 1k miles on it and I get the same mileage each of my 3 tanks of gas. I am avg 19.X miles per gallon to 20 mpg. My drive to work each day is 50% highway and 50% backroads. I get about 22 mpg on the highway and 17 on the backroads.. so avg around 19 to 20. thats driving 65 to 70 on the highway and passing a few cars ...

I could hit 22 mpg avg if I didnt drive fast and took it very easy on acceleration and passing.

NOTE: this is with regular grade gas !
  • Options
    mellowvipermellowviper Member Posts: 5
    Do Not disable the Red LED light above the center console, to get better MPG !!!
    In my Atlantic Blue Pearl, 7 Passenger, Beige Leather, Limited, I use "My Red Laser Light" to sear my Kabob's, before I place them on the "Hibachi Grill" located just below the Nav. Info screen !!! ;)
    "Mahalo", from Seattle
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Here is website I purchased the accessories from:

subarupartsforyou.com

It turns out they are dealer in Conneticut I believe. I bet they they charge walk ins the regular price.

Happy shopping
  • Options
    If you live in an large urban area - have no fear the mileage will drop like a rock again, it takes a little time to overcome the higher averages from the road trip.

I am averaging about 16.5 here in Chicago. :-(

Our gas prices are ranging between 3.15 to 3.55 for premium.

Thank you Mr. President for giving the oil companies billions and billions in tax brakes. I'm sure they will pass the savings on to us - more likely they give them to you.
  • Options
    oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    subienewbie2: Thanks for your comments. I will forgo looking at video systems on internet. I saw quite a number of brands of sonar systems. Which brand did you have? Which brand do you recommend? Most of the sonar systems available require drilling holes on the rear bumper to install the cylindrical sensors. I don't want to put holes on the rear bumper of Tribeca, if I buy Tribeca. I saw a sonar system (www.reversebackingsystems.com) that can be mounted as the frame of the license plate, without having to put holes on the bumper. Have you heard about it?
  • Options
    The sonar systems on previous cars were factory installs not aftermarket.

I am dubious about about the license frame units.

As far as drilling into the bumper - I agree, that's why I will have a shop technician install the system when I purchase one.

I am looking for one that states that the sensors can be painted, so I can have air brushed to match the bumper. My B9 is Blue Pearl & it would look funny have balck sensors against the blue finish.

I ahve read that several dealers use Echo Master. I have to contact them about painting.
  • Options
    Oh man what A great idea!
  • Options
    I was just in the family room seeing what my wife was watching... "dinner and a movie" on TBS... brought to you by... yup, Subaru Tribeca. It was very cool they had a guy in a seacrest Green with DVD, NAV etc pretending to live in his cool new B9 Tribeca with a hibachi grill in the passenger seat! Great little spot for Subaru! :) Funny but informative at the same time. Then they had to ruin the whole deal but playing the "dust in the wind" commercial AGAIN.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    You may also want to cross-shop online accessories with allsubaru.com.
  • Options
    Oh man, mellowviper... you got the first B9 Tribeca Weber Edition! How cool is that?! (Sorry, must be watching too much Rachael Ray on the Food Network... I'm starting to use her catchphrases.)

So those control knobs with temperature indicators in the center - the ones located at the bottom of the dash - they control the fuel burn? It's nice Subaru provided connectors for two propane tanks in the armrest console.

Greetings from a fellow Puget Sounder and congrats on your hot new ride.
  • Options
    Subaru now offers an ashtray accessory for B9 Tribeca. A goofy solution, but I guess if you're desperate enough for a smoke you'd give up a cupholder. Now they need a coinholder to take up the other cupholder. :P

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2006photos2.html
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
  • Options
    did you read the How It works Page?

"The vehicle needs to be moving at a speed of 1/2 miles per hour or more for the sensor to respond."

I assume the factory ones do not need the vehicle moving to detect an object?
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    if something was rite behind me like a closed garage door. i miss the extra assurance/comfort that the sonar units give.
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    I haven't seen that new commercial.

We don't even get the "dust in the wind" commercial much where we live (lower Michigan). Now, when we were visiting in the Upper Peninsula I saw it many times (unfortunately).

Don't they test things like commercials?? I can't believe that that one would get enough of a positive response if they had done pre-release testing to let it out in general release :confuse: .

Murano had a good ad a while back, with a couple going to an out-of-the-way blues bar, or something. Maybe I'm even remembering it entirely wrong, but I remember that it was for the Murano, which was the point I'm sure!

Christina
  • Options
    Actually there is a cup holder mounted coin holder.

It is an after market piece - I have seen them in auto parts stores.

I have one of the little rectangular black plastc ones. It fit nicely in one of the cell phone slots next to each of the front cup holders.

Expensive though - I think I paid $1.98
  • Options
    Does anyone know where this connects and is it user installable?

I hope and assume it is a coolant heater & not an oil heater.

Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    You may also want to cross-shop online accessories with allsubaru.com

Excellent, Thank you. It looks like they are even a bit cheaper on most items.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ad rates are cheap on the UP. :) (Got relatives up there).

Subienewbie2, block heaters typically go in a freeze out plug and shouldn't be that hard to install. I've had them put in for under $100 including parts and labor. No experience with oil heaters or battery blankets.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    It's been about three weeks since my last update and I thought I'd better get busy...

Here are the updated Subaru B9 Tribeca reviews links I have found recently online. As always, I value your input as to updates, omissions, deletions, etc.

Enjoy!

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    Here is a list of backup sensors taken from consumer reports. The last one was awful because the plate mount is usually too high for it to work well and most have problem rain or snow.

Grote Obstacle Detection System 78520 $275
    EchoMaster EM-PV $275
    Rostra Obstacle Sensing System 250-1594 $350
    Reverseguard RG10C RG10B $395
    Guardian Alert Hitch Receiver 1601A 1602B $300—
    Guardian Alert License Plate Frame 1700C
  • Options
    Well, I was looking around and the Kenwood KNA-DV4100 has the exact menu as the ones in the B9. I am pretty sure that's what in the car since the radio is also a kenwood.
    That means you can get voice commands with a $99 optional mic/switch (Kenwood KNA-VC300).
    Has anyone heard or know about this?

Gotta try it when mine arrived. :)
  • Options
    that would be SWEEET if it takes the same accessory. let us know if you try to make it work!
  • Options
    BAD NEWS

I spoke with Kenwood level 2 support team and was told that niether the voice command kit for Nav or their I-pod controller is compatible with factory installed units in our Tribecas.
  • Options
    That sucks!!! :cry: Why wouldn't that work? Maybe they think it was too 'complicated' to connect a wire to the back of the unit... Unless they want to make more $$$ and have subaru sell it as an option for next year for like $300 instead of $65 from kenwood directly.
  • Options
    Hey, that's nice the coinholder doesn't eliminate a cupholder. I don't smoke and there aren't toll roads around here, but I'm still pretty surprised cointray and ashtray were left out of the dash design.

Yikes! $1.98? That does sound pricey. :)
  • Options
    I agree.

However that is fairly common. Factories usually purchase modified systems that make them unique & probably cheaper than a full featured branded units.

And yes that also allows therm to sell for features on future models & charge for them.
  • Options
    Myabe i'll go buy 1 for like $65 and try it out when my car arrived.
    I want the bragging right of having the first B9 to have voice commands :P
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Cost for the 70,000 mile service on my '99 Passat: $125
    Replace worn tie rod ends: $500 :sick:

Charging the service bill on my freshly activated Subaru MasterCard and having the cashier at the VW dealer ask me why I don't have the VW credit card: PRICELESS! :P

First of many purchases to start earning 3% back towards my future Tribeca purchase (thanks for the tip Juice!). ;)
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Do we know for sure the Tribeca head unit is Kenwood?? I know the model numbers are new, so it could be.

What makes me wonder -- the 2005 US Leg/OB have a Matsushita head unit (seen the stickers on the headunit myself). The 06 US models appear to be using the same Nav system as the Tribeca. Not sure if it's the same Matsushita radios, or a new unit (Kenwood) specially for Nav. Euro Leg/OB models appear to use a Kenwood head unit, not sure about Nav over there.

Craig
  • Options
    When I called Kenwood I said I believed both the Nav & radio were thiers.

When he came to me, he stated that the optional mic & i-pod kits would not work with the factory units. He never said that Kenwood did not supply the units.

Don't know if that helps.
  • Options
    sub newbie where did you get you coin holder? at PepBoys or a Walmart type store? did it fit exactly? does it have like a slot for each type of coin? or is it just a big bin

thanks

Earl
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff, Bought my Beca from a gal named Beca at East Side Subaru, through Costco auto Program. We also live in the "LAND OF KIRK", easy to drop in for my FREE oil changes, and service loaners for LIFE !!! I took ownership on June 11th, put 2,600+ miles on her, all over WA & OR, up and down I-5, have yet to see another B-9 on the road or in a parking lot. We should start a club or a support group ! ;)
    Say if you liked my last idea, I have another, I went on "eBay" and won a copy of "THE TRIBECA GRILL COOKBOOK" by Don Pintabonea with intro by co-owner Robert DeNiro, thought I could use it for My Weber Edition, don't ya know !!! Also won New Staff Only 100% nylon "TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL " drawstring 13"X16" Pack/Bag to store and tote the Beca's DVD's. As you would say How cool is that?!
    "Mahalo", from the "LAND OF KIRK"
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Viper,
    I know this should go on the Prices Paid forum, but what price did you get with Costco? My dealer quoted me a Costco price of $1,000 over invoice which didn't seem that great.

Mahalo from Utah
  • Options
    How You Doin?
    Beca quoted me the same but I was insistent and came away @ $700.00 over invoice, + got invoice or no cost to me on the options that I wanted. Beca was good to me !!!
    "Mahalo", from Kirkland, WA
  • Options
    alextrifalextrif Member Posts: 7
    Hey Viper - I'm in Mill Creek. I got my Tribeca at Eastside on 7/1 - and I now have 2600 miles on it. Silver 5 seat LTD - could not be happier except I still have to grit my teeth when filling up - using premium gas. I love the free oil changes at Eastside - I'm due for my first in the next week or so.

Alex
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    "All Subaru's of the future will have the exact same front end as the new B9 Tribeca."

--end quote--

Are you serious? Oh no :surprise:
  • Options
    sub newbie where did you get you coin holder?

I got mine in pepboys but the auto section in most stores have them. It is the little rectangular one with 3 spring loaded slots (5 - 10 -25)

It is smaller than the cell phone slot so I put a small piece of foam rubber under it so it won't rattle.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Kenwood KNA-DV4100, eh?

Do they have a backup camera option? For the Panasonic systems it's a $200 add-on. That would please a lot of folks.

I have just $100 Subaru Bucks saved up. I keep spending them! LOL No discipline here, none at all. :D

Free maintenance is cool, but how much is it really worth? The LL Bean Outbacks came with it for a few years there. By the way, Subaru will sell you a pre-paid maintenance package, so you could easily build it in to the cost of your purchase, and the price would still be far less than an X5.

As for the warranty being too short, look at the Honda Pilot - 3/36 and that's it, no roadside assistance either. So a Tribeca gives you 2 years and 24k miles extra on the powertrain plus 3 full years of free roadside assistance.

Try this - pre-pay for maintenance, and get a 7/100 Subaru Gold warranty, and I bet you could still get a loaded Tribeca for around $37-38k.

I do my own maintenance so for me that would be a waste anyway.

-juice
  • Options
    mista_rebmista_reb Member Posts: 1
    I can't understand how Subaru hasn't gotten in trouble for copying the Nissan Murano. All they did was make the front end uglier and that's about it. I saw the "Dust in the Wind" commercial and thought it was a Murano spot.

I guess it's true...Imitation is the best form of flattery.
  • Options
    19821982 Member Posts: 1
    I am sure the Tribeca is an excellent vehicle.

But the question begs to be asked; is anyone concerned about the potential for diminished resale value due to the dog ugly styling?
  • Options
    Looks Like Murano?

You better get your eyes checked - Not likeing it is one thing but mistaking it for a Murano - No Way!

Okay maybe your right - they both have 4 wheels - 4 doors - headlights in the front and exhaust pipes in the rear - yep that's enough to confuse anyone.

I apologise.
  • Options
    You'd have to be making a very general statement to say that. I see Muranos everyday, and the Tribeca is pretty distinctive. About the only cue that is similar is the swept C pillar, but neither vehicle is the first to sport this particular design in recent years.

If you want to make a real copycat argument, look at some recent model Alfa Romeos! (in fact, scan through this topic, some photos are posted here). Nobody will argue that one. In fact, that is more of a case where imitation is a form of flattery, as the Alfas are quite good looking and exotic.

Finally, the Murano is a FWD based vehicle with a transverse engine, based on the ubiquitious Altima platform. Nothing could be farther from the symmetrical AWD platform and longitunal drivetrain used in the Tribeca.

Craig
  • Options
    You need to see one in person -- they are quite good looking when viewed from a normal perspective, walking around the vehicle or on the road.

When I saw the first photos many months ago, I thought the Tribeca front end was real ugly. Then I saw one "in person" at an auto show, and it blew me away. What looked like a big ugly bulbous grille in the photos was teeny and low key in person, and not offensive at all. The "wings" of the grille actually dominate the styling more in person, and it looks good. This in contrast to photos, where that center section seems to draw all the attention, and not in a good way. Thankfully, the photos are misleading.

Craig
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I like that Murano as a first space age-cool looking SUV and the Alfa Romeo Kamal photos look kinda interesting. Subaru AWD is a great idea. Their exterior designs - no comment. For those that live in snow country, the Subaru line of cars should all perform well. What could be better than AWD.

Loren