Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• Options
    neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    Its not a comparison, its a Ford paid publicity stunt. Lets see a real comparison. Please.

Glad to oblige...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109710

Camry 1st
    Accord 2nd
    Sonata 3rd
    Fusion 4th

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0512_family_sedan_comparison

Accord 1st
    Fusion 2nd
    Sonata 3rd
    OLD Camry 4th

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12148/2007-chrysler-sebring-touring-vs-2- 007-honda-accord-se-vs-2007-kia-optima-ex-vs-2007-nissan-altima-25s-vs-2007-satu- rn-aura-xe-vs-2007-toyota-camry-le.html

Accord 1st
    Altima 2nd
    Optima 3rd
    Aura 4th
    Camry 5th
    Sebring 6th
    Fusion - hmm, they didn't even bother testing it! :lemon:
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't know what the Passat goes for these days relative to invoice, but 2007 Accord EX-V6s are going in the 24k range, not near $27k as you say. The Passat may be equally misrepresented by the TMV here, but anyone reading the Accord Prices Paid Forum can tell you $25k+ is above what many people are paying for loaded EXV6 Accords.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    OK, so maybe they do have the V6 XLE/EX trims both softly suspended and with VSC. Would imagine that the Fusion did blow them both away in a slalom speed & skidpad tests (AWD and no VSC would both help while the HP difference is less important) - and that C&D (if and when this test is something other than a TV commercial) and given their own anti-VSC preferences probably spent a good portion of their evaluations lambasting the Camcords for overly invasive 'electronic nannies'.
    Let's really read something, see quantifiable results and then we can talk - because accordman is right, there has never been any Fusion (or other Ford/GM product) that has ever tested to the same standards set by Honda and Toyota - at least in the last 25 years or so...
  • Options
    Accord 1st
    Altima 2nd
    Optima 3rd
    Aura 4th
    Camry 5th
    Sebring 6th
    Fusion - hmm, they didn't even bother testing it!

Car and Driver typically will only invite back cars they have previously compared if that vehicle won the last comparison (which the Honda had done). The Fusion came in third, I believe, in the last V6 comparo with Sonata, Fusion, Camry, and Accord. Similar results from the Motor Trend test, but the Sonata and Fusion swapped places for 2nd and 3rd.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I don't know what the Passat goes for these days relative to invoice, but 2007 Accord EX-V6s are going in the 24k range, not near $27k as you say. The Passat may be equally misrepresented by the TMV here, but anyone reading the Accord Prices Paid Forum can tell you $25k+ is above what many people are paying for loaded EXV6 Accords.

Yeah, I said it was about $2000 more. If we get to compare what people said they paid then there are a few 3.6l Passat sales around 26k, or about 2k more. The AWD Passat looks like another 2-3k above that, but Honda doesn't offer an AWD car so thats not a fair comparison.
    The 4 cylinder looks like it is about 2k more than the comparable Honda as well. It is more expensive (about 2k) but not outside the category.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Didn't the Fusion come in 2nd in the old test of Accord, Fusion, Sonata, Camry?
  • Options
    I don't have the article in front of me, but I was thinking in one test it came in 2nd, the other, 3rd. I may be wrong though.

I know one article (Motor Trend or Car and Driver, I get them confused) had the 2005 Accord against 2006 models of the others. The Accord won it, and I KNOW the Fusion came in 2nd in that one, against a Camry LE V6 and a Sonata GLS V6, I believe.

The other one had all 2006 models, and I thought that the Sonata came in second. I don't have the time to find the article at the moment; I'm about to go to class.
  • Options
    would not own a VW due to the ridiculous quality issues
    We don't get many VW comments on this site -
    Question, anybody out there know what the specific issues are with the 2 liter turbo specifically? Did drive a 3.6 and thought it was a helluva machine, but in that iteration the car has done better (at least according to CR)
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The Fusion comes in second to pretty much all these cars.
  • Options
    The 1.8t had an issue for oil sludge, similar to a famous Japanese automaker. Using a synthetic motor oil with a VW spec detergent seemed to take care of it (there are several that meet the spec). The 1.8t had a recall for the coil packs. They are a maintenance item and will fail eventually.

The 2.0t is a new design of the 1.8t with more power. The turbo is relatively small and engine tuning isn't in the 80s anymore so I found turbo lag imperceptible. It just feels like a torquey 6.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Car and Driver typically will only invite back cars they have previously compared if that vehicle won the last comparison (which the Honda had done).

From the C&D comparo article:

Just to be extra double certain, however, we’ve acquired five of the Accord’s newly introduced or redesigned competitors and gone out to lay a little rubber.

The winner was invited back to compete against all newcomers. The Fusion, and Sonata for that matter, are not newcomers, did not win, and therefore were not compared.

FWIW the Fusion came in second in the 2006 comparo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10245/mid-size-four-door-sedans.html
  • Options
    oil sludging - noticed in a web search on this problem, that VW ended up recommending a detergent synthetic oil - something I've run in my 2GR Toyota engine since day one. Wonder why the mfgrs. don't 'require it' as a condition of these newer higher performance engines - heaven knows those operating temperatures do get up there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the background info. That's what I had thought!
  • Options
    I don't mean to pick on the Fusion but its interesting the one note in that test the note about the 6-speed auto is hunting between 5th/6th. Which makes me wonder more and more if they're starting to get too many cogs these days... the Camry's 6-speed auto having its own set of issues.

And some people say Nissan's CVT is like always being in the wrong gear, the transmission is lagging behind the engine.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It seems as if the problem peolpe are having with manuals might be entirely from bad driving skills.

Hearing someone complain about having to hold the clutch in for a really long time... that's their fault, really. When you come to a stop, you put it in neutral if you are idling for a long time or leave it in first gear and creep forward at 1-2mph. Yes, it lugs the engine a bit, but it causes no appreciable wear compared to riding the clutch.

And your leg never gets tired. I loathe having to hold the clutch in myself - as much as anyone, so I either leave it in gear or neutral if it takes longer than about 2-3 seconds.
  • Options
    stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    2 "extra" trips to the dealer of the life of the vehicle is something I am willing to endure to have something I enjoy driving. I haven't had issues with the 1999+ VWs in my life.

The "2 extra trips over the life of the vehicle" is a misinterpretation of cumulative reliability data that has been published in CR and elsewhere. I know this because I committed the same mistake on VwVortex and was corrected by one fellow who was more statistically sophisticated than I am. I learned that you can't take cumulative data from groups and apply the average difference to describe individuals. It just becomes misleading to do so. Doing so washes away real differences between groups and overemphasizes the importance of the mean or average.

It's like measuring the height of 10,000 people in Group A and comparing their average to the average height of 10,000 folks in Group B. Let's say the average of Group A is 5'5" and that of Group B is 5'6". If the two groups stood next to one another and you stood 1/4 mile away the two would look virtually identical (that's analogous to the virtually equal repair rates in a CR group reliability survey). However, if you lined both groups up in order of height you would see that Group A had many more people who were under 5'0" and many less people over 6'0" than Group B. It's the same bell curve phenomenon with CR's cumulative group reliability statistics: While the average difference (the peak of the bell curve) is very slight, the relative number of VWs with below average, poor, and very poor repair records is progressively greater than that of Honda, for instance. And the number of Hondas with above average and excellent repair records is proportionately greater than VWs.

So, the conclusion is that many VW owners will have equivalent repair histories to Honda owners. Relatively few VW owners will enjoy a better repair record than the average Honda owner. But a substantial number of VW owners will experience a worse repair history than the average Honda owner, and of that group there will be a much greater proportion of VW owners with serious repair problems compared with Honda owners. It is this last group and its subset that constitutes the basis of VW's poor reputation for reliability.

(I was going to talk about my personal experiences with my '99 Passat, but I'll save that for another post.)
  • Options
    Hearing someone complain about having to hold the clutch in for a really long time... that's their fault, really.

The fatigue that I mentioned was not from holding the clutch in but rather from having to push it in and out many many times in stop and go traffic. Holding it in is bad practice, I agree.
  • Options
    Stevehecht,
    I would pretty much concur with everything in your post. I would also add that it assumes a randomly distributed statistical sample and there is no recording bias or error in data collection. Since there is no one validating this collected data, I would also assume some errors on that end.
    The point I was making is the difference between those peaks, that distance between Honda and VW, im most people's experience, isn't that great.
    I have had 2 vehicles from CRs "black dot" list and both returned 150k/10year reliablity, so I don't have a lot of faith in these surveys, they don't weigh heavily into my purcahse decision, and I enjoy being an outlier.
  • Options
    I don't mean to pick on the Fusion but its interesting the one note in that test the note about the 6-speed auto is hunting between 5th/6th. Which makes me wonder more and more if they're starting to get too many cogs these days...

Not sure about that. A lot of times the "hunting" problem, along with some other "problems", can be fixed with a simple software update. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford already addressed this with one. The catch is, you have to report the symptom before most dealers will perform the update. Others simply do it as a kind, but very thorough, gesture.

That being said I don't quite know if more than 5 gears are needed without diminishing returns on 99% of the vehicles out there today. I have 5 in my '06 Explorer and 5 (manual) in my '06 Mustang and I can't imagine having any more especially in the Explorer. Both of those have much larger engines with a good bit more power than the Fusion so I can't imagine that the 6 forwards are necessary in that car.

How many will the next Accord have? 6 or 7? The MTX V6 already has 6 right?

And some people say Nissan's CVT is like always being in the wrong gear, the transmission is lagging behind the engine.

Never heard that before. In contrast, I've heard nothing but good things about Ford's CVT in the Escape Hybrid, Five Hundred (soon to be the Taurus), or Freestyle. Too bad it's been axed in the latter two because it can't handle the power of the Duratec35. :sick:
  • Options
    Well, I might as well add my personal history here. I traded in my '99 Passat with 116K for my SE V6 Accord last November (got $3K for it). I absolutely loved every minute of driving and looking at that iridescent maroon ("red") Passat. I figured out that "extraordinary repairs" (non-maintenance) cost me about $40/month for the 7.5 years I owned the car (~$3000 in toto) and it was worth every "extra" penny!

Unfortunately the 2006-7 (B6) Passat didn't do it for me, (didn't like the GLi Jetta either). Something of the driving magic of the B5 Passat got lost, and I hated the redesigned rear/tail lights. I also realized that I was kind of burnt out worrying about when the next repair "hit" would come (had to replace the ABS, then a complete brake job within two months), and with 116K I decided to bail. I like the V6 a lot but I don't think I'll ever love it like I did that Passat. I'm a Vdubber in a Honda body right now, but at least I can relax, stay away from my mechanic, and not be an outlier for a while. I'm looking forward to upgrading the tires and adding a thicker rear sway bar and see how she drives.
  • Options
    The Taurus is being resurrected...or rather, rebadged. The current Ford Five Hundred will be rebadged as the Taurus for 2008. Also, the Mercury Montego becomes the Sable, and the Freestyle? Taurus X. I know these are full-sizers, but they are reviving the nameplates of cars that once competed with the Accord and Camry for number 1, and was successful for years.

Taurus X

Taurus

Mercury Sable
  • Options
    Does anyone else think the front of that Taurus:TNG is the most hideous thing since... I really don't know!

And the front of the Sable:TNG looks like a copy of the Milan. But it looks out of place on the Sable, which is rounder than the Milan.

The Taurus X (what kind of name is THAT??) looks OK with the Gillette grille though.
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    The Taurus is being resurrected...or rather, rebadged. The current Ford Five Hundred will be rebadged as the Taurus for 2008. Also, the Mercury Montego becomes the Sable, and the Freestyle? Taurus X.

Well this just showcases the very sad state of Ford. The Taurus was a real hope for American nameplates in the late '80's. Sadly Ford just let it languish and then came out with that horrendous oval thing. I drove a rental Taurus in the early 2000's and was impressed at the size and the overall handling -- but the interior was disgustingly monotone and the engine sounded like a chainsaw.

Hopefully Mulally can get some real product improvements out there soon, as he did great things at Boeing. This looks like a desperation move to buy a couple of years.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Taurus X = Taurus "cross" as in crossover since it is a crossover vehicle.

It is cutesy naming.

They might look better in person, but the photos are not promising. From these photos, the Sable looks best, then the Taurus "X," then the Taurus the most ugly of all.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Someone playing with Photoshop :blush:

Did test drive the Fusion four banger. Not bad. Won't say it bests the Accord four cylinder though. The seats are comforatable. It moves, after a brief couple of seconds, when you tell the transmission you need to power up Scotty. Once under way, the engine is has pretty good power. Steering is pretty good. Noticed some unidentified noises. Was testing a former rental car, so I could get on the gas and brakes more.

On a GM note:
    Is it just me, but the G8 looks like Aura and Malibu. Is this going to be a one style fits all?
    -Loren
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Ford's new products are improvements, but still seem quite weak. Only Mustang and F-150 are hits plus mild success of the Fusion.

GM's new products are well liked. New large SUVs, new large pickups, new large crossovers, new Malibu, new CTS and new Camaro down the road. Everything new looks like they can be good sellers.

Chrysler: "300C. And then what?"
  • Options
    I think so. I saw a photo of the restyled Five Hundred, er, Taurus, in USA Today today and it looked much better in front than in that photo posted here. It's also hard to believe Ford would make the Sable look almost identical in front to the Milan.
  • Options
    kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    "Emergency handling could be better. The V6 in the XR easily provoked torque steer and wheelspin.The interior is nice but has some second-rate details."

In Consumer Reports' ratings the Aura came in squarely in the middle of the pack with a score of 70. The V6 Camry got an 87 and the Accord was #1 with an 89.

IMO, CR tests are far more realistic than C & D, MT, etc.
  • Options
    And some people say Nissan's CVT is like always being in the wrong gear, the transmission is lagging behind the engine
    The CVT may make or break the Altima - it is a different and non-traditional 'drive'. Involving even more computer control, depending on how hard (and quickly) you hit the accelerator, the engine will 'lock' at a specific rpm, and yes as the belt pulleys change their relative diameter[s]the car will continue to catch up to the engine speed until that accelerator position is changed. There, of course, is no gear change sensation only one of a constant engine 'drone' unrelated to speed. One thing for sure, if this is going to work out, the engine itself should sound and feel happy at whatever speed it assumes. I could see this working out OK for the VQ V6, but despite the HP, the Nissan 2.5 is no Honda engine. The Ford 6 speed been noted for its rough shifts and inability to decide what gear to be in - but this is not unusual for many of these newer tech multiple speed 'traditional' trannies. If the behavior of the Ford (or Toyota) 6 speeds is where we are heading, the CVT may be the lesser of evils.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "VW Passat 3.6L V6/6A 29,960, TMV 28,913
    Honda Accord EX-L 3.0l V6/5A 27,400 TMV 26615

I am willing to say $2300 is close enough to my "about 2-grand" comment that they are in the same class, even though in driving experience, they aren't. FWIW the price difference is even smaller with the Camry V6."

I ran a comparison on carsdirect for the two cars, below;

2007 Accord Auto EXV6 with leather - $24,814
    2007 Passat Auto VR6 with Pkg 1 (Luxury) - $32,164

For the Passat, I must say that the Pkg 1 gives it some more equiment than an EXV6 Accord: Manual sunshades, Heated washer nozzles, PDC, rain sensing wipers, Memory ext mirrors plus the obvious HP advantage it has over the Accord V6. Reason I picked the Pkg 1 was that it equips both cars similarly. On the other hand, if I deselect the Pkg 1, that brings the price down to $29,194, the difference still is around $4.3k. Not taking the Pkg 1 however, results in euipment lost, I have pasted Pkg 1 details (PKG 1: Driver & Front Passenger Comfort Seats w/P3L .•Vienna Leather Seat Trim .•Leather-Wrapped Gearshift Knob & Boot .•4-Spoke Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel .•Wood and Aluminum Trim .•Manual Side & Rear Sun Shades .•Automatic Headlights w/Coming Home Feature .•Climatronic Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control .•Fog Lights .•Heated Front Seats .•Heated Washer Nozzles .•HomeLink Garage Door Opener .•Park Distance Control .•Rain Sensing Wipers .•Trunk Storage Net .•Self-Dimming Rearview Mirror .•Power Heated Memory Side Mirrors including power seats, leather seats)

In any case the price difference seems substantial, and I am not saying its not worth it, definitely is for some, just that its IMO gets prices out of this comparison. That also may be the reason that we seldom see any posts comparing the Passat in this forum, actually I have seen more Jetta comparisons.

"Hmm, now if your opinion had some data, that would be great and I would consider it. That car, as far as I know, hasn't had ANY unscheduled trips for service, but the statistics I saw point to about 2 extra trips on average, over 8 years and 150k. Of course, you are entitled to an opinion, and I am glad you are happy with your vehicle of choice, what ever that may be."

Even I am happy for you that your car has been great, enjoy.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I guess I would question whether the base engine (turbo 4) in the passat is actually already equivalent to the V6 accord...if so, you should not include the upgrade to the VR6 in the comparison.
  • Options
    Well, 200 horsepower and a curb weight that is about the heaviest in the midsize class (and last I checked, this car was compared with the Avalon and the Azera - full sizers); I'm going with a no.
  • Options
    "I guess I would question whether the base engine (turbo 4) in the passat is actually already equivalent to the V6 accord...if so, you should not include the upgrade to the VR6 in the comparison."

I actually thought about that, but due to the bigger power diff + wight, thought it makes sense to compare the V6 models; this does not mean buyers may not compare these two; I am sure some will. Also, there's no engine upgrade in options, you either take the 4 or the 6and then add hte pkges. Sorry if my post came out like that.

Does anyone have 0-60 times for the V6 Passat v/s V6 Accord?
  • Options
    I think this is one step in the right direction for Ford - how did they ever come up with the name "Five Hundred" to start with? :confuse:

The Fusion/Milan is really too small a replacement for the Taurus/Sable. The Five Hundred is a bit bigger than the Taurus but its a good match. Just gonna need that 3.5 in it. Its been under-engined for a while now and has overall gotten pretty positive reviews, so the engine will sweeten it.
  • Options
    One of the articles I read about the new Taurus stated that it will come standard with stability control.

I know this thing is bigger than the cars compared here but it's price point isn't far off of the Accord and especially the Camry. With the new engine, AWD, stability control and all the other safety stuff it should sell better. With the right marketing it could steal some sales from those compared here.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The odd thing about CVT transmissions is that you have to completely re-learn how to use the accelerator. In a typical car, the pedal just tells the engine to rev more or less, kind of like a dimmer switch. With the CVT, you have to tell the thing where you want it to end up. Say, more like moving a trackball in a video game(Missile Command comes to mind). It's not only sensitive to position but also how quickly you move it to that position.

The end result with the Nissan CVT is that if you baby the throttle and expect the engine to do much, it does exactly what you say - it babies the engine and you wonder why it's so darn slow. The same thing happens if you slowly give it more and more gas like a typical car.

You gotta learn to whomp on it hard to get quick acceleration, then back off once you get there. Ie - you want 3/4 throttle right off the bat and then you ease it back to 1/4 as you approach full speed. The exact opposite of what you do in a typical car(mash the accelerator harder as you build up speed)

It takes a few minutes to adjust. But the car runs just fine. Better, in fact, than a typical 4-6 speed transmission.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    My goodness - just read the news today, and you are right, the TAURUS returns. So much for the brilliance of the new CEO, in IMHO. Sure lots of cars were sold -- sold to rental agencies. The first model was a huge success, but not the second one. It never gained traction at all. What next the return of the Edsel ? There is a difference between Bold Moves, and an ill chosen path. Taurus to many has an image of a motor falling off its motor mounts, a rental car, and huge (HUGE) discounting, and low (LOW) resale values. What on earth is he thinking. Maybe the guy is a genius, and I but a simp for not understanding this return of the Taurus. I will agree he makes more money in a few months than I for a lifetime.

Test drove a Fusion four cylinder. Good little car. Test drove a Honda Accord. Great car! May test drive the Milan V6 some day, though it would have to be heavily discounted to be a deal compared to the Accord SE V6 and i4 sedans. Looks wise, I kinda prefer the coupe, so my sights today are on an Accord Coupe. Good handling, with sharp looks, I'd say.
    -Loren
  • Options
    Neteng...that is totally classic. One of the reasons giving for renaming the Ford Five Hundred to the Taurus is that no one young enough to buy one remembers the Ford 500/Galaxy from back in the day (myself included).
    It was like the Earl guy in the Buick commercials...most of Gen x/y have no idea why they should even care.

This is probably the same group that thinks the Nova is a old Toyota Corolla clone...although maybe if the bring back the name for a cheap sedan version of the new Camaro platform or the G8...
  • Options
    I think its a good decision to name the 500 the Taurus; the Taurus has good name recognition and IMO a lot of people will see it that way. In the end it still may end up being a fleet favorite; but that's not such a bad thing, since Ford has reduced fleet sales of the Fusion, so they do need a strong fleet car.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They do not need a strong fleet car (rental fleet that is). They're not going down that road again. The only reason to dump lots of cars into rental lots is to keep the plants running. And they're not doing that anymore. Ford will make more profit from selling 150K NEW Tauruses than they would have from 400K old Tauruses. Commercial fleet is great but more than 15% rental fleet sales is too high.
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    I agree about the low resale values of the late Taurus making the re-introduction of the name a dumb idea...

I mean, if there is even one 2006 Ford Taurus with 24k miles sitting on the used lot with $13,995 in the window (as there are MANY on the local Ford lots), how are they ever going to sell a new one for anywhere near sticker?

No matter how good the new car is, that depreciation stigma is going to be hard to overcome. I know I'd be scared of the future value of a new Taurus, fleet sales or not. It's hard to change public opinion, and it doesn't just happen overnight.
  • Options
    Changing Five Hundred to Taurus shows Mulally gets Ford
    The change was applauded in local media...
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    But OTOH there are hundreds of thousands of satisfied Taurus owners who might be more inclined to buy a new Taurus instead of a new Five Hundred.

It's a risk but "Five Hundred" doesn't seem to be catching on with anyone right now. I think it's worth a shot.

The bigger picture here is Ford is actively making changes and at this point trying something different is better than not doing anything at all.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    there's no engine upgrade in options, you either take the 4 or the 6and then add hte pkges.

I think you are mistaken. Edmunds says: The 3.6L ices the cake with 17-inch alloy wheels, an in-dash CD changer, satellite radio and a sunroof.

But in any case, I don't think the proper comparison is what the most loaded up version sells for. The Passat starts at about the same price point as the Legacy, so it certainly can be purchased for prices comparable to other mid-sizes that are discussed here.
  • Options
    mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    We're used to saying Camry and Accord. But actually now Camry much outdistances Accord in sales, it's all by its lonesome self in the distance. In January, Accord outsells Altima by the slightest margin, 25K to 24K. Admittedly Accord will pick up sales with a model changeover, but the Altima numbers don't include coupe sales, so the two probably will still be neck and neck once new Accord and Altima coupe come in. No one should be surprised if Altima passes Accord in the next few years.

Everything else in this segment is an also ran, including Sonata and Fusion. I think Ford should've based the Fusion on the new European Mondeo, whose style makes it the Jag of this segment. So what if its debut would've been delayed for 6 months to a year? Right now not many people are buying it at all!
  • Options
    the Passat has been tested just above 6, right there next to the Camry SE. The Accord is giving up 20-30 hp but will still run in the mid 6s, depending on tranny. The Altima also in the 6s, and all four cars QUICK, plenty of nice smooth (and quiet) power - and something unique to those particular cars in this group.
  • Options
    A few more wild cards in the Altima/Accord competition:

1) how well the new Altima hybrid sells--it looks like a winner to me
    2) how well the two coupes do relative to one another
    3) how well the '08 Accord redesign does
    4) how well the '09 Accord diesel does--I have a feeling it's going to be huge, and will be the "Prius" of the passenger diesel in the US
    5) Honda's rapid increase of US manufacturing capacity
    6) the relative financial positions of Nissan vs. Honda. Nissan is barely turning a profit and has lost its #2 position to Honda in Japan recently. Honda's worldwide profits are huge in comparison. Honda's financial and engineering resources give it a real leg up in any competition with Nissan.

Taking all the factors as a whole, Honda's ability to distance itself from Nissan in the midsize category is apparent. Like in a horse race Altima has come up to within a nose of Accord, but the old champ may well pull (way?) out ahead once again in the next few years. It will interesting to see how things turn out. The nice thing is that they are both building quality products in this category.
  • Options
    I was thinking the Passat was bigger than most in this class; it appears I was wrong, based on this article's comments from a December 2005 issue of Car and Driver:

Although these dimensional gains yield a car that's about the same size as a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, they do add up to a roomier Passat. And inevitably, it adds up to a slightly heavier one. We can't make direct comparisons from our own archives, since the last two Passats we tested were hefty all-wheel-drive models equipped with VW's seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time W-8 engine (C/D, July and October 2002), and the one before that (C/D, June 2001) was propelled by a turbo four.

Nevertheless, 3592 pounds is portly for this class. If this Passat had been part of the mid-size-sedan comparison that appears elsewhere in this issue, it would have been the heaviest of the group—a group, we should add, powered by V-6 engines.

It was also found to be quite fast, similar to the Camry V6 (6.1 sec 0-60), as fast as the Accord 6MT V6 (5.9 sec), and ahead of the Accord 5AT V6 (6.6 sec):

By contemporary standards, the 3.6's output numbers aren't extraordinary for its displacement, but it gets the Passat out of the starting blocks with impressive zeal: 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds, the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 101 mph.

The big problem the article cited was price:

But for all that, we think the Passat may face an uphill fight for its place in the U.S. mid-size-sedan market. Beyond the noise and suspension-clatter issues, there's that price. The least expensive Passat—VW calls it the Value Edition (read "decontented"), with a 197-hp, 2.0-liter turbo four and six-speed manual transmission—starts at $23,565. That's only about two grand less than a Honda Accord LX with a V-6. The starting price for the Passat 3.6—$30,565—is in BMW 3-series territory. And our subject car's as-tested number is enough to bolt you into a BMW 330i.

*All italicized info from Car and Driver, DEC. 2005
  • Options
    "I think you are mistaken. Edmunds says: The 3.6L ices the cake with 17-inch alloy wheels, an in-dash CD changer, satellite radio and a sunroof."

I did not take the most loaded version, you can load these Passats to 35k easily. I compared a V6 Accord to a V6 Passat, with options as close as I could get them. The Passat's Pkg 1 puts it aorund 7k higher, but as mentoned, there is some extra equipment. Even without pkg 1 (which puts the Passat at a significant diasdvantage equipment wise, the price diff is around 4k, and if I was getting a Passat, I would certainly take with the Pkg 1.

If you mean that I should have compared the V6 Accord to the I-4 Passat, then, that to me is not a correct comparison.

The Passat was a hotly discussed car on this forum, before the redesign. It has dropped off from here mostly because of price, IMO
  • Options
    Whoa, that's surprising; looks like the Altima is right up there with the Accord in Jan sales. This just underlines how important the 08 Accord is to Honda.
This discussion has been closed.