Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Want to buy 2006 CRV from an old lady who diesn't drive much, 30000 mi with both new airbags recall

flawlesslyflawlessly Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in Honda
She has the car since brand new back in 2006 with her hubby, since her hubby passed away few months ago, and she can't drive it because it's too high for her, well she is short :smile: The car only has 30000 mi and been sitting in her garage most of the time, I help her start it once in a while and drive around her area and that is it. Even when they both together back in the day, they didn't drive much, just to a restaurant for dinner and grocery and then back home. I know they change engine oil at a local jiff lube, keep up everything as usual as needed, recently has both front airbags changed recall by Honda factory and that's about it.

She said dealer had called her about the car and offered 7K for it. I'm not sure if that's true, but based on my view of the car, it's clean and nice but not sure if any other problems coming up, or any major problem that I didn't know of. I also not quite sure how much should that car worth since it's almost 10yrs old car now.

Anyone can help with any major recall, known problems, and how much it really worth?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    $7K seems about right for a low miles trade-in price. I'm sure the dealer would tack $3K on it on problem and put it up for $10,900. Low miles are desirable and Hondas are popular.

However, "low miles" can also come back to bite you--things like battery and tires, if original, are probably past their sell-by dates, and I'd consider a coolant flush and change, and brake fluid flush and change as well. So you could end up spending $1K more just to get the car up to speed. I wouldn't count on some jiff lube place having done all the maintenance that the owner's manual calls for.

As for what you should pay, I suppose you'll have to offer more than the dealer did, so anywhere between $7500 and $9500 seems like it would be a good buy---but pay attention to what you might have to put into it.

As for problems--have the car checked out before you buy it. At those low miles, it should check out pretty well.

• Options
    flawlesslyflawlessly Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2016
    Yes, an easy 1K fix and check up might be reasonable, but just time consuming. I remember that she had few time that the battery wasn't up to the par and needed jump. I've read some AC compressor problem with these particular years model, would her car has that?