Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

problems

mahkukmahkuk Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Ford
i have a 1994 ford ranger and everytime i want to drive it i have to jump start it. even when i shut it off to start it up i have to jump start it. what could be the problem

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    1. Bad battery---if it's more than 5 years old, it is suspect. Batteries can be tested with a voltmeter, but a "load test" is the best way---your local parts store might have this tester.

2. Bad battery connections--corroded or loose battery terminals can conduct current properly. Check both cables on both ends. Also check your engine-to-frame cable (usually a braided cable).

3. Charging system problems--can be checked with a voltmeter connected to the battery, and which should rise and fall as you rev the engine. We'd like to see 13.5 to 14.2 Volts here when revved up.

4. Parasitic drain on the battery-- something in the car is not shutting off when you turn the key off, or perhaps there is a short-to-ground in some wiring. Check YouTube for "How To Diagnose a Parasitic Battery Drain"