Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable MPG-Real World Numbers

2»

Comments

• bobber1bobber1 Posts: 217
    Actually on my last tank, I was running right at 28 mpg with 3/4 of the tank burned, but then got into town with stop and go and it dropped down to about 26 by the time I filled up.

It looks to me like the warm spring weather is definitely helping. City driving sucks the mpg down fast. If you drove nonstop on the hwy, I think you'd see 28 pretty easy.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I have only a little over 800 miles on my 2008 Sable, and am getting a little over 20 mpg with mostly town driving. These cars (Taurus/Sable) seem to be very sensitive to the "heavy foot" syndrome, especially around town. Consumers Report only got 12 mpg with their tested 2008 Taurus. The tester must have had a very heavy foot.
  • 7milehi7milehi Posts: 28
    I rented a 08 Taurus SEL yesterday from Hertz. I proceeded to the nearest gas station to completely fill the tank even though it was showing full. After the 3rd auto cut-off and 2.4 gal. later I was sure I had a full tank. I then drove the Taurus for 171 miles and re fueled prior to returning the car. I again went to the 3rd auto cut-off when re fueling and it was 5.52 gallons added.

This gave 30.8 miles per gallon, needless to say I was impressed. 90% of those 170 miles were interstate driving at 70mph with no heavy acceleration at any time.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Just returned from an over 4500 mile trip west from Wisconsin to Denver, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, the Tetons, Yellowstone, the Black Hills and home.

Our 2000 Taurus with Duratec, for the whole trip averaged 27.6 miles per gallon. Best leg was just under 31 mpg across Wyoming. Worst was 24.5 which was mostly Denver city driving and a jaunt up to Central City. There was a substantial mix of stop and go siteseeing and semi-mountain driving, of course in and around Yellowstone and the Black hills. On the freeway legs of the trip, we generally kept speed at 70, though occasionally ran at 75.

The Taurus drove well, with no problems, and I am still pleased with it, now at almost 74,000 one owner miles.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    "The tester must have had a very heavy foot. " - or he left the emergency brake on!

Couple k miles in here on a 2008 Taurus FWD Ltd, and I'm seeing ~22mpg in mixed city driving, (stretches of highway, some stop'n'go, some short trips around the 'burbs), 27.5mpg at 76mph on flat freeway, ~24mpg at 83mph on flat freeway. All with the a/c on - this is Texas and it's hot already.

I'd have to drive like I just robbed a bank to get 12mpg
  • desertrat5desertrat5 Posts: 85
    Hi Al,

We bought the AWD because of the 2006-2007 winter here in the Springs. Of course we bought the after the winter was over and this past winter was not nearly as severe. So I don't have many words about AWD in the Taurus. Our other vehicle is a 2005 Lexus RX330 with AWD and I can say that during that bad winter I was very happy to have it.

I have two issues with the Taurus - one is the fuel economy even tho the car performs as advertised. The other is the driving position. I cannot find a position that is long term comfortable. If I get the seat and peddles adjusted for arm comfort my right leg is mashed agains the console. If I move the seat further aft to get my right leg comfortable then my arms become uncomfortable. A telescoping wheel would fix the problem.

Other than that the car is great - roomie, quiet, tight, responsive - and trouble free so far. So I have not had to test Phil Long's maintenance facilities for other than LOF etc.

Colorado Springs is a beautiful place - the air is relatively clean, the people are friendly, and the scenery is outstanding. But the wind does blow and it does get cold in the winter. And the other thing that most people don't realize - it is fairly far above sea level - we live at about 6700 feet. If you or yours has any issue with the heart or lungs - try it before you buy it!
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    Yes, you can get 28 mpg with the Taurus.

We just got back from a 1200 mile road trip in Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska. It was mainly highway driving at around 65 mph, but we also drove maybe 100 miles in cities, including some rush hour stop and go, and for a few hours we were driving over 70 mph in order to make a deadline. Had headwinds coming and going!

Even with all of that, we got 28.2 MPG for the trip. The car was very comfortable -- it's a fine highway cruiser with lots of room.

If you drive conservatively, 20-22 mpg in town and 30 mpg on the road is doable.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I hope the guy at Ford who made the decision to not have telescoping steering in the Taurus and the Focus is the one of the first to get laid off this summer.

The MKS has electric tilt/telescoping steering. I hope a manual telescoping will make it into the new Taurus.

Mark
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Posts: 30
    87 Sable Vulcan 29 mpg freeway. 18 around town.
    05 Sable Duratec 30 28/18.
    Vulcan is a 9.3/1 compression ratio. Means it won't efficiently use 93 octane.
    Duratec 05 is 10.5/1 and it will efficiently use 93 octane. Not worth the premium price.
    Duratec computer (PCM) will map timing for octanes 93, 89 or 87.
    MPG freeway depends on speed. Drag increases as the square of speed.
    Ex. 6 squared = 36, 7 squared = 49. Drive at or below limits will improve mpg vs warp. Inflate cold tires to cold tire AUTO manufactuer recommendations. MPG will vary seasonally due to use of ethanol in gasoline. E10 max unless FFV.
    Upstream oxygen sensors determine how much fuel is injected. They are consumables and should be changed at 100k miles or when mpg decays. 95 and newer OBDII may have two upstream of the cats and two downstream. Upstream are critical to mpg. I recently replaced upstream bank 2 (front) 05 Sable for $42. Bank 1 is difficult but I will do if necessary. Based on Car Chip voltage and fuel trim readings.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    One of the 2008 Sable reviews on this site by a new owner indicated the digital gas mileage read-out was about 4 mpg higher than what he calculated. Has anyone else experienced this on the Sable or Taurus?
    Not on mine. It's right on or if anything slightly under what I get for actual mileage. I track closely because I use the car for work.
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    On our '08 Taurus the digital readout is very close too.
  • 7milehi7milehi Posts: 28
    I know some will try to argue but on average I'm getting 4-5mpg less when using ethanol blended fuel in my 08 Taurus. For a while I kept wondering why my mpg would vary so much driving basically the same route and driving style. Then I started to pay attention where I was buyuing my fuel and here are my facts. When filling up with 10% ethanol gas I will get between 21.5 - 24 mpg. When filling up with non-ethanol gas my mpg will be between 26 - 29 mpg. This is based on 8 tank fills, I now avoid ethanol blended gas.
    I track my mileage closely and have found that ethanol takes 1 mpg off on average and maybe 2 at most(that's at 10% blend). Usually gas with ethanol is cheaper to buy so I think it's a wash going either way. I think it's a small price to pay for cleaner exhaust coming out of your tail pipe.
  • mdennishmdennish Posts: 16
    I can get 30mpg at 75mph on level ground with the cruise control on.
    I achieved 32 mpg on a Interstate with a downhill grade.
    I get 28mpg going up grades and on winding roads
    Allof these mpg's where with 1 passenger and 2 suitcases.
    I have not checked the mpg in the city as of yet.
  • Have you had your 0-2 sensors checked? Autozone (and others?) will check your codes - maybe give you a hint on the stalling (which my '87 wagon did at times - but I didn't know what to do at the time). I drive about 80K per year for my job - I will post separately on that subject and my fuel mileage. Generally, replacing the air cleaner will help power, and what you have done should help, but 14 mpg seems very low to me - I get between 18-22 mpg fully loaded (4200# GVW) with a 12" x 60" sign mounted on my roof at 55-70 mph driving hard on my '96 with the 3.0 12-valve.
  • I have owned both an '87 wagon and a '96 sedan (both 3.0 12-valve)

'87: Bought with 34K, sold with 165K. Used this one a lot as a family car (4 kids) to here, there, everywhere, and back again. Averaged 23-24 mpg and when I took the car on business trips, 28-29.98 (never could break 30!) Had the same stalling problem as on other post here - never got it fixed.

'96: Bought with 93K, at 107K started a Pilot Car business with this car (what I had at the time). Started out (with a 12" x 60" sign on top of my roof to add wind resistance) getting about 24 mpg running about 3 car lengths behind an oversize load. The shock came when I started leading the load - down to 18-22 mpg! Returning home with the sign down got me around 25-26. I added a 'Condensator' to my PCV line, which takes the heavy oils out of the PCV stream to the intake manifold and keeps the engine from having to burn them (bad for mileage). Hard to tell how much it improved things. Then I started using 3 oz. of acetone per 10 gals of fuel, which I feel increased mileage about 7-8% (in an actual non-scientific test). Switched to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. New results: about the same with the load, but better 'deadheading' (driving without the sign up) get around 25.5-27.5 with the lowered sign on my roof and between 29-32.5mpg with the sign stowed inside the car. I keep my tires inflated to 34-36 psi, use cruise when I can, and carry lots of stuff with me (4200# gross weight with me inside). I now have over 284K and still running strong. . . . brag, brag, I know
  • The reason Ford products do not excel at mpg is CD = Coefficient of Drag.
    For example, my 05 Sable LSP Duratec 30 V6 weighs 3,360 lbs and has a CD of .32.
    A Ford Fusion 4 cyl weighs 3,320 lbs and has a CD of .33.
    A Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl, weighs 3,280 lbs and has a CD of .28.
    It is very expensive to reduce drag. Drag ranks no 2 behind engine friction as a gasoline consumer.
    If you want to increase mpg significantly current car, slow 5 mph or at least not more than speed limit.
  • I have been using acetone for six months. My best mileage with acetone has been 38 mpg on a 420 mile trip. I drive 55 mph. My car is a 2007 ford taurus. I average 30-32 mpg city and highway. I think I can get as much as 40 mpg on the same trip,420 miles. I am going to try it a month from now.
    I am a retired mechanic and have been very happy with using acetone in my car. It runs great using 2-3 ounces of acetone with every 10 gallons of regular,87 octane.
    No 10% ethanol gas. Using gas with ethanol will cost you 2-3 mpg.
    Ethanol is not good on any car or truck unless it is a flex fuel. All parts of a flex fuel car or truck are made to handle ethanol.
    Ray
  • You are using to thick of oil. 5-w-20 and if you run 0-w-20 synthetic it would be the best.You engine has small oil holes. It also takes more horse power to move 20-w-50 oil, even if it is synthetic.

Ray
  • I have an 08 Taurus SEL which I purchased in July of 08 with over 10,000 miles now. (I commute 100 miles roundtrip with a carpool of 2 riders). This is a great car for my purpose. It is comfortable, roomy, quiet, and we can listen to Fox News on the Sirius Radio to keep abreast of the markets and politics.

Every fuel purchase has been logged in on Atlantagasprices.com which is a gasbuddy.com subsidiary. I average about 70-80% highway miles using the HOV lane with some stop and go rush hour traffic if there is an accident.

Overall, according the the fuel logbook at Atlantagasprices.com, I am averaging 25.5 MPG. The best mileage I got was driving (avg 65 mph with the a/c on) from Atlanta to Spartanburg, S.C. 261 miles, where I got 29.56 MPG according the to logbook. The trip computer on the dash showed that I got 28.2 MPG.

On the whole, I think the trip computer is within 1-2 mpg of the fuel logbook and sometimes is spot on.

The worst mileage I have gotten was 19.61 mpg in mostly city driving, but this was when I had 2,400 miles on the car. Since then, it hasn't been lower than 22.5 mpg.

I've had the oil changed every 5,000 miles (most recent was $10.65 using a ford dealer coupon in the paper).

My car came with Continental tires, which I rotated at 5,000 miles. I recently increased the tire pressure from 32 (which is recommended) to 34 and I've notice the gas mileage has improved from 1-2 mpg. I'll keep an eye to make sure they don't wear prematurely or unevenly.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I have a 2000 Sable Premium with the V6 duratec 200 hp 4 valves/cylinder engine. It weighs about 3300# (averaging figures I have read). It appears to be relatively aerodynamic. I have 130,000 miles on it. Recently I have determined that in mixed city and highway traffic I get from 23-26 mpg; in pure highway driving I get about 29-31 mpg and I drive in the 65-75mph zone often with cruise control engaged.
    Why is it that many of the new 4 cylinder cars with lesser weight get only similar (or worse) mileage. I thought the technology was getting much better. For example, the Edmunds tests of the 4 cylinder Saturn Astra and the VW Rabbit get similar numbers, almost identical. Why don't they do better considering the lower horsepower and the lesser weight? It seems that there is some regression rather than progress.
  • I am a bit confused re. acetone use. I understand the dilution of 2-3oz/10 gal but am uncertain about your "no 10% ethanol" statement. Is there a product you recommend for use with the acetone mix? Who has the least ethanol?Is there a risk to the paint if one spills the acetone?
    thanks
    Ray ( yes, you can call me Ray...too) :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.