Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe - MPG-Real World Numbers

2»

Comments

• mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Typically, on our 05 Base Auto Trans we get near 35 mpg on the highway, with careful driving near the speed limits. We've got the 1.8L and it's more than adequate for our needs. Great vehicle!
  • golfman4golfman4 Member Posts: 18
    Bought a 2005 Vibe with 20K in May, 2006. Has 65K now. EPA Hwy is 36 with the 1.8L auto trans. Usually measure mileage only on long trips. At 70-72 mph it gets 32-33 mpg, at 60 (which was really painful to drive) it got 40. Mostly in the 35-36 mpg range at a steady 65-67mph which is what I now drive. Hopefully I won't get run off the road doin the limit.
    I keep the tire pressure closer to the max PSI on the sidewall (35) than the 32 as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Usually 34.
    All in all, a real good car, so far.
  • litespeed4litespeed4 Member Posts: 11
    I have (had) an 07 vibe with 50k miles on it, auto trans. Similar to the other positive posts, I get 32-33 at 70 - 74 mph. I can eeek out 40 mpg if I drive like a grandma at 60 - 64 mph, slow accelerations etc. I get 29-30 in mixed hiway/country road driving. I am bent because a tree CRUSHED it yesterday, and its totaled.

I am looking at an 09 to replace, but I see the sticker MPG ratings are much lower than they were on the 07. I know the EPA adjusted the way they do MPG ratings. Did the engine/drivetrain change in the 09's where I should expect lower milage? If so I'll look for a used one.
  • maverick13maverick13 Member Posts: 2
    I am a little dissappointed in my vibe. The best I ever get with my vibe is 31.9. I probably spent 70% of my driving on the highway. I bought just for commuting back and forth to work. I drive 56 mi a day just for work. Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong. Thanks for your input.
  • sinistermindsinistermind Member Posts: 12
    My wife drives her Vibe to work 5 miles one way all city. She averages 22-24mpg and on highway at 70-80mph we get 30mpg. That's the same fuel economy as my '04 GTI with turbo engine and with 50+ hp more. The Vibe might get good fuel economy on flat roads, but when we go on trips it's always with hills involved. The trans won't downshift and has zero passing power. The only thing I like about it is practicality of it. Other than that, the car is a disappointment.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    that's because you were looking at all the 2009 "Camry-Vibes" on the lot that the dealer can't get rid of, due to the poor gas mileage. I'd go with the "Corolla-Vibe" engine litespeed4 and get 5 additional MPGs. The 1.8 liter engine is plenty peppy; and certainly an improvement over the "untweeked" 1.8 it replaces. Good luck.
  • redhornet77redhornet77 Member Posts: 1
    Today I went to put Gas in my 05 vibe and after going to half tank..it would not let me put more in...like it was full. Got gas all over as the pump didn't turn off in time. I knew it needed more...so i tried more..and no go...like i had a blockage in the spout or something. Went home..put a wire snake down to see if there was something in there...went to the tank and the end got wet. So i go back to the station and can once again..only put dribbles in before it overflows. Any ideas out there..besides the obvious of a blockage of some sort...or what this blockage could be.
  • faif2dfaif2d Member Posts: 1
    I have a hill near my home and I used to coast in my 2004 VW Passat and I would go about 1 mile and go from 65 to 40 MPH just about the time I got to my turn. With the new Vibe I would be at less than 30 MPH, an indication of MUCH more drag than the VW. I now have 6K miles and the bearings or what ever have broken in and tee Vibe coasts just like the Passat Wagon. On a trip last week 3K in 1 week I was getting around 28-29 MPG while driving 75 and 80 on the freeway. I seem to be getting about the same on my 6 mile trip to town. I know that when I get about 12K miles on it and change over to synthetic oil the mileage will go up 1 to 1.5 MPG so I am reasonably happy. Car is very happy cruising at 75 even with a side wind.
  • newvibebuyernewvibebuyer Member Posts: 14
    My wife commutes 45 miles to work on 2-lane roads with some turns and a couple towns to navigate. The car is a base model 1.8L Vibe with the automatic. She consistently gets 30-31 mpg on 10% ethanol gas and 32-33 on straight unleaded. Straight unleaded is a few cents more, but the gain in mileage is worth it. This is her second Vibe, and she is getting a little better mileage on this one. She walked away from a double rollover accident in January, so the safety on these little cars is amazing. I hope Chevrolet or Buick take over the Vibe line so I don't have to buy a Toyota Matrix next time.
    Glad she's OK. I get 29-30 mpg on my 1.8l 2009 in mostly suburban driving with a very heavy foot. I'm sure I would have gotten 10 mpg less if I had the Camry engine. I'm glad I stuck with the Corolla. As for the next one, you now have two next generation model years to pick up someone's used Vibe for a song. The market will collapse on this car and those dumb enough to get rid of them will get nothing in resale value. I'm already circling above looking for my next victim should our 03 Vibe finally crash and burn.
  • johnb62johnb62 Member Posts: 3
    Have had my new 2009 for about 3 weeks. It is an automatic with the 1.8 liter. I am averaging 32.6 MPG for the first three tanks of regular gas. This is mixed driving.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I'm looking forward to buy a 2010 Vibe or 2010 Matrix.
    Which one do you recommend?
    I thought Vibe or Matrix were the same vehicle?
    How do you like the power and performance of the 1.8 L. ?
    I will also go for the automatic transmission.
    I own the 2003 and 2009; both 1.8 automatics. The new one is underpowered like the old; however, I'm not willing to get 21 mpg with a Camry engine just to drive a Vibe. If I want that kind of mileage, I'll get an SUV. While Camry Vibe owners may feel better about their ability to punch it when they need to, I feel even better knowing I can get 30mpg in mixed city/hwy driving with my Corolla Vibe. Gas prices won't be going down. You can't have a pocket rocket and a gas sipping engine at the same time. It doesn't work that way. If you can deal with a clutch and don't live in a big city, then the 1.8 liter Corolla Vibe will be plenty powerful. The auto transmission simply struggles a bit when the air conditioner is on and you need to punch it. Make the choice: do you need power, or do you like great gas mileage?
  • johnb62johnb62 Member Posts: 3
    I believe the Vibe is less expensive. I have no problem with the power or performance of the 1.8 liter. I bought this vehicle because of the great mileage. Its not going to win races but who cares. The vehicle reliability, its sportiness, and MPG's hooked me....not to mention the fantastic rebates. I'm planning on keeping this vehicle for quite a while.
  • abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2.4L/5Auto "Camry Vibe"... I drive mostly my 25 mile backroads commute with some light city thrown in for good measure.

If a tank includes 120 miles or so of 70mph Hwy I get 29 MPG
    If a tank is all my commute/light city driving I get 27 MPG
    If I put my foot in it and have fun now and again I get 25 MPG

I haven't had a full HWY tank yet, but I imagine it would be at least 31 MPG
    I haven't had a full city tank yet, so 25 MPG is the worst I've had so far.

I drove the '09 1.8L and think it is a perfectly adequate motor for most situations. The only 1.8L left in my area was a stripped down base, so I got the 2.4L with the package I wanted. I like the extra grunt, and sometimes carry my family of 5, so the extra power is useful. If I'm careful, I can usually squeeze 28-29 out of a tank with my normal driving and that beats the 19 MPG I was getting in my old SUV.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Hi Abramsgunner.

Since you drove and experienced both the 1.8 L and the 2.4 L engines, is there a very big difference between both engines?
    I don't know which one to take.
    Yes, I like to have some power (my smallest engine was a 3.4 L.) in a Chevrolet Equinox but I'd like to save money on gas to.
    I don't pull nothing, no trailers, no campers ect... I do mostly city driving (personal errands) and I work at home, our kids are all moved out.
    My wife and I take 1 vacation trip per year and have to cross the Rockies (back and forth).
    Is the 1.8 L powerful enough?
    while I'm not doubting your numbers, those are a bit high compared to everyone else. I have to believe that you are doing zero miles in city driving to accomplish that. Those who do city driving are getting between 18-23 mpg. If I could rack up the numbers you've listed, I'd have gone with the Camry Vibe in a heartbeat. When I do hard city driving with some highway mixed in, I'm getting 27 or 28 mpg. If I take it easy, I get 30 in the city with the 1.8 liter engine. I wouldn't have dreams of grandure if you are doing all city driving and decide on the 2.4 liter Camry engine. Just food for thought.
  • mileagehuntermileagehunter Member Posts: 1
    I have been reviewing a number of sites regarding the Vibe and have found a problem that I cannot find an answer for. Here it is.....

Q: Why is there a 5 mpg difference in both city and hwy from 07 to 08 with no
    noted changes to drivetrain or body? Is anyone experiencing this variance?

Wanting to buy and have been shopping a fair amount. Anxious to hear of any experiences.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    2008 was the year the EPA numbers were intentionally reduced to make them appear more realistic.

Edmunds.com - 2008 EPA Mileage Numbers

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • ve2cyve2cy Member Posts: 3
    Just inherited a 2004 AWD and am realizing the city gas mileage is about 20 mpg - what gives? New air filter, gentle on the peddle, cleaned the MAF. Could it be plugs? I should get 50% more, which is a heck of a difference .. I don't see a gas leak anywhere, ha ha.
  • Chuckles37Chuckles37 Member Posts: 16
    Without knowing your cars miles, I can only relate what has happen with my 03 FWD with 124K miles. Mileage was slowly dropping from low 30's to high 20's and then I got the check eng light at 95K. It coded as clogged cat converters. Change them (there are 2) and the both O2 sensors and mileage recovered. So if you mileage is over 100K, you may be looking at either clogging cats or lazy (tech's explanation) O2 sensors. My web research says that O2 sensors are good for 80-100K, then they get dirty and sluggish in their response to changes in the O2 levels in the exhaust, which effects how quickly the fuel air ratio controlled by the engine management computer. As for plugs, I have change spark plugs at 65K and 120K. No effect on mileage.
    Thanks Chuckles! (lol) .. My car has lower mileage (55,000), but it is mostly short-run city driving. .. These suggestions sound plausible, because I have had the "check light" a few times and never went in to find out what it was telling me.
    So I have two O2 sensors and two Catl convertor's ... I wonder if they are "cleanable"? Anyway, thanks for the tips.
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2011
    Hello,
    My name is David, I reside in Ohio. Just found this Forum today, 1/8/'11
    I own a '03 Vibe, 1.8L Auto. I believe I can help you with your Vibes' poor MPG. Please understand that I am not trying to advertise, but in order to help, I must name the needed products.
    I purchased my Vibe used in '06 w/30,000 miles, no warranty. It has been (& still is) the best used vehicle I've ever had. It gets 42MPG on Hwy., 30-32 in Cty. & Country. But to achive this, the 3rd day after I bought it, I did a complete Engine Flush, Oil & Oil Filter change & a new Air Filter. The following week, had Tranny flushed & AMSOIL ATF installed. I also run Fuel Additive regularly.
    Products used:
    AMSOIL Engine & Transmission Flush
    Supertech Oil Filter (For Engine Flushing ONLY)
    AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
    AMSOIL 0W-30 (SSO) Motor Oil
    Wix Air Filter
    AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF
    AMSOIL PI (Performance Improver) Gasoline Fuel Additive
    If you will do a complete Engine Flush (using a Supertech Oil Filter from Walmart for the 15 minute flushing process) & then install all of the above AMSOIL products, Wix Air Filter (AMSOIL does not make AF for Vibe) & run the PI, your MPG should come up to near mine. But to go all the way, you'll also need to have a Transmission shop do a complete Tranny Flush & install the AMSOIL ATF as well.
    Also, the PI fuel additive will also clean-up your 2 sensors as well as the Cat. Converter.
    I hope you see this & that you will let me know the results.
    David/LubeExpert
    edited January 2011
    ...and do recognize that with the reformulated gas during the winter, the colder temperatures, and the longer period it takes an engine to get to optimum temperature for efficient operation, your gas mileage should be down 2 MPGs. The '03 is an oil burner as well. I was puting in 2+ quarts in between 5,000 mile oil changes on my 2003 AWD automatic; within specs, but still an oil burner. That ultimately was making my cat converter work overtime.
    edited January 2011
    Having read your message, I suggest you read my answer to ve2cy (#75 on page 4) using the listed products & following the same procedure. I can almost gaurantee your little Vibe will not use any more oil. Because I run the listed products in my '03 Vibe, I change my Oil & Filter only once a year. Even then, at the end of each year, the oil still looks like new, as if it came out of the bottle.
    he, he....too late; I've already retired the car. At 2 quarts loss per oil change, I can tell you that your solution would have no impact on the fact that oil is seeping around the rings. Many, many Corolla owners have experienced the same thing over the past 2 decades.
    Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you could get it in A1 shape so it could be as totally reliable & high performance as mine. (I have solved excessive oil consumption in the past with other vehicles using that procedure).
    Hello David ... yes, I saw it ... thanks for your info - by the way, my car just hit 90K kilometers, which is 56K miles, and the maintenance symbol has just come on ... since I don't have a dealership close, I'm not sure yet what to do.

Anyway, how much would all of the above cost (rough approximation). I only put about 5K miles a year, since it is our second car, so there might be a trade off. On the other hand, just wasting less gas would make me feel a bit greener, lol.

Cheers!
    Thank you for your reply/inquiry. I figured the cost two ways, at retail price & at Dealer/Preferred Customer price. I also looked up the product numbers for you.
    For all of the products (AMSOIL, Wix & cheap supertech filter for flushing), the Total @ Suggested Retail Price = $191.60
    Total @ Dealer/PC Price = $146.70 As you can see, it really pays to become a Preferred Customer (PC) (hopefully through me). The $20.00 it costs for a PC account for a full year would be returned 2-1/2 times in a case such as yours.
    As for the cost of having the Transmission flushed, I can't really say. It depends on the average prices in your area, who you go to, etc. Mine cost $170.00 & I supplied the AMSOIL ATF! BTY; A new Tranny Filter is also required. Since AMSOIL does not carry that filter, it had to be special ordered by the garage. Bottom line is, to do it all, you're looking at $300.00 - $400.00 Yea, expensive, but I am reading & hearing that by the end of this year, gas will be $5.00/Gallon!! Probably well worth the investment to get your little Vibe in Tip-Top condition!
    edited January 2011
    PS: Your Vibe takes a #Ea15K09 AMSOIL Oil Filter & a #46834 Wix Air Filter.
    Is it possible that you do have a full tank but the floats are stuck, or there is some other problem with the fuel gauge giving you a incorrect reading? As far as I know, all Vibes have a 13 Gal. tank.
  • frankoseifrankosei Member Posts: 1
    My vibe is 2004 1.8l and about 52000km (32318mil) mileage. I just made 158 miles on 13.5

litres petrol (approx 52mpg) on the highway without air conditioning. Is this mileage achievable

in real world numbers? Just some worries though: the airbag signal on the dashboard is always

on and the abs does not come on on the dashboard. Help please!
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    I used to follow a Mercedes Benz discussion list where lots of discussion was devoted to synthetic oil and its benefits especially related to diesel MB engines. It was pretty much a given that those who used it (in this case Mobile 1) saw oil consumption decrease because of cleaner rings. The other comment I will make is that I used to live next to a man who was a petrol distributor. He had a red Chevy truck with 300K miles on it (long commute) and had not been wrench for anything other than standard wear items (plug, belts, filters, etc). All fluids in the truck were always synthetic. Never a problem with anything. He is on top of having the least scratched fixed and the truck looks and runs like it came off the showroom floor. He changes the oil every 12K miles.
    edited June 2012
    I just got 41 mpg on my Corolla Vibe automatic on all highway driving with the cruise control on most of the time and sticking to 55-60 miles per hour range. I think that is unbelievable. I got 35 mpg on the way home, speeding the entire time with no attempt to baby it. I also got 37+ on another fill up with the cc on some of the time and a partial lead foot other times. I currently get 33 in suburban driving. I was amazed at the 41. It was the only (and probably last) time I was the "slowest" person on the road, in no particular hurry. I am quickly approaching 60,000 miles on the odometer, so perhaps that is the break-in mileage :shades:
  • burns1210burns1210 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 08 automatic, run about 38 psi in the tires. Highway driving going the speed limit in the summer I can easily top 40 mpg, 42 if I'm drafting. Winter months it really drops, maybe 36 at best. The sticker says 31 highway - I'm never that low, even when I'm approaching 80.