Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• I have a 95 F-250 auto with 176,000 miles. When it is 20 degrees F or below is has a dead spot at low rpm and a real high pitch whistle. When I give it more fuel it comes out of it until it levels back out and then the same thing, more fuel it comes out of it and so on.It also uses alot more fuel when this happens. Warmer temperatures it runs great. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
  • Could you let me know what the problem was with your truck??.
    We are having a similar problem. We have a 95 Ford F350 diesel and it quit running every once in awhile. Now it stopped running and it keeps blowing a 30 amp fuse. It is eating the fuses up.
  • kat41kat41 Posts: 1
    Having problems with our 1999 ford f-350 it stops running --blowing fuses anyone having the same problem
  • I cannot get my 96 psd to start, I was told that it could be to things weak batteries and glow plug relay, but my question is should the glow plug relay click when the wait to start light goes off?
  • just need some advice, pretty new to the PSD and most diesels in general, just dont want to throw parts at it and not fix it
  • We were just having the same problem with our 1995 Ford F350 powerstroke. We spent alot of money replacing alot of parts and what we came down to is an altenator. We had a brand new altenator in the truck and it still did the same thing, so that is when we tried other possibilities but nothing worked. We took the new altenator out and brought it back for an exchange and put it in the truck and it is working so far. We believe we just had a faulty new altenator the first time. Good luck with this.
  • We have a 1995 F350 PSD and ours clicks when you turn it on but when the light goes off it stops clicking. There should be no clicking when the light goes off. Most auto stores will test your batteries, you just have to take them out and bring them down and ask them to test it.
    What is it exactly doing when you try to start the truck??
    Is it turning over, turning over slow, only clicking??
  • check your heater element at the bottom of your fuel filter...it blows your fuse sometimes to so it doesnt start or no communation with the scanner....
  • I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK A FEW MONTHS AGO. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.FIRST WHEN I START IT UP IN THE MORNING IT SOUNDS AWFUL COUGHING BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, THEN PERIODICALLY WHEN I DRIVE IT STARTS TO JERK BACK AND FORTH BLOWING THICK BLACK SMOKE. DEALERSHIP FIXED STICKY TURBO AND EKG VALVE....STILL THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING.NOW ITS TAKES A FEW TRY'S TO GET IT STARTED IN THE MORNING.THE DEALERSHIP IS TELLING ME NOTHING COMES UP ON THEIR DIAGNOSTICS MACHINE.THIS IS SO IRRITATING, THERE IS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING WRONG AND THEY WONT FIX IT.DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE.HELP!!!
  • have you had the recalibration done for the fuel injectors? might be problem, mine did same thing but blew white smoke. worth asking at ford dealer. doesnt cost but 200 bucks.
  • Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try , this will be the 10th time I've brought it to them in 5 months.what a hassel!!
  • howdy howdy ...i fixed alot of diesel with the injection pressure regulator leaking throw ...late
  • howdy howdy ...look down in your fuel filter housing and the heater eliment is at the bottom of the housing ....the heater eliment brokes,,,,hope it works late
  • Thanks for a great tip.

Everyone needs to note that in the note section of their owners manual.

With the super cold snap we just had, I had a vehicle which started and ran perfectly.
    I parked at the site I was working and the wind chill was 41 degrees below zero.
    Got in to start it, cranked over nicely, but NO GO.
    Got ride home, and waited for less deadly weather.
    Tried to start the dead vehicle one more time (now +14 degrees).
    I was sure that when the vehicle failed to start that I was not hearing the fuel pump. I turn on the ignition and listen carefully, especially in cold weather. Real good idea to know the sounds of the system when all is well, that way when things get strange, your ears just might point you in the right direction. Fuse was good, relay seemed good. I could hear the relay click.

Problem?
    The severe cold caused the wiring harness to shrink and that partially opened the connector in the harness which ran to the fuel pump.
    Repositioned the harness, checked to see that none of the contacts in the connector had pulled back.
    One was, corrected that. Problem seems to be solved.
    Ain't that a pip.

John
  • As far as my message # 267. Is there anyone out there with this same problem? Help.
  • My 2003 Excursion when cold soaked will engage the starter when you turn the key to the warm up position. This has burnt to starters up in the last twelve months. In my trouble shooting I have found that by going to the start position this aborts the start . I can release the key to the center position and the glow plug indicator will go out after it warms up and a normal start will occur.
    The dealer is unable to fix this problem, can someone help with a solution.
    :cry:
    Thank you all!!
  • It sounds like your in for a new ignition switch.
    Not fun, but doable.
    Are you in the habit of hanging "20 pounds" of keys on your key ring?
    A heavy batch of keys is your ignition switch's worst enemy.
    2 or 3 keys is a much better idea.
  • Thank you for your input, just a follow up question.
    Wouldnt this occur hot or cold if it was the switch?
    I only have the one key on the ring
    Again THANK YOU for your time
  • josijosi Posts: 4
    I have 70.000 miles front wheel bearing failed. Should I worry and change the opposite side ? Is this a commen problem ?
  • Hi All,

My 1990 International 7.3L Diesel (Ford F-350 box truck, 190K) just started making a noise that seems to be coming from the engine. The truck is running a little rough at idle and the noise seems to come and go. While driving it gets louder during acceleration (not extremely loud and slight power loss) after getting up to speed the truck runs and sounds fine. No overheating. No oil in water or water in oil. Oil pressure fine. The only other thing is there seems to be a stronger exhaust smell. Exhaust pipe and manifold look fine, no signs of leeks. No hard starting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also can anyone recommend a diesel mechanic in the Fort Pierce, Florida area.

Thanks
    Jim