Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe New Owners

tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
Just gotten a Santa Fe? Tell us all about it!

Comments

• tnaverytnavery Posts: 6
    We picked up our '07 GLS tonite - what a ride! It's way cool at nite with all the blue lighting (had to turn it down a notch or two). In my old '03 Santa Fe the cruise, windows, locks and other things were not lit up which drove my husband crazy since he didn't drive it all that much unless we went out. The only "break in" in dealer recommended was not to use the cruise control for the first 500 miles. I did ask about the staying under 55 mph for a period of time, but they said it wasn't necessary. I have to say, I can't wait to get behind the wheel again!Mind did come with floor mats but no mud flaps and since we have a long, gravel driveway I will have to invest in some soon.
  • tjlovelltjlovell Posts: 13
    Congrats! You will enjoy it. Curious though, why not over 55 and why not use the cruise under 500? I have used my cruise from mile 11 to mile 550, did I do something wrong? Dealer couldn't tell me anything about the car because she has just seen it with me after it came off the truck. Let me know if there is anything else. I have a long gravel driveway also, mud flaps are a must. I keep rinsing it off after I drive it. They are not available yet but I keep checking.
  • jpanozzo1jpanozzo1 Posts: 50
    From what I have read by others at this site, it is best to vary speeds as much as possible up to 500 miles. I believe as important an issue is not accelerating or braking hard during break-in.

Joe in Texarkana
  • berniedgberniedg Posts: 54
    I think the dealer has given you good break-in advice.

Its better to vary engine load and RPM during break-in for first 500 miles.
    Heres some additional tech reading.
    http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
  • tnaverytnavery Posts: 6
    I had read the remark about not going over 55mph in an earlier post in this forum. My dealer said it wasn't neccesary and with speed limits here on the freeways of 65 mph not very realistic anyway.
    I think you got the answer on the why no cruise control from someone else's post - that it's good to vary the engine speed and let the parts "break in". I was also told to not even look for good gas milage until after this break in period.
    I wonder if there are something like standard mud flaps? I'm not set on having and "H" on mine.
  • jpanozzo1jpanozzo1 Posts: 50
    I sold Toyotas for a few years and although the RAV certainly was not a best seller, I was surprised how many people had significant rear end damage in low MPH rear-enders. :sick: If you do get a RAV, park with the rear end towards a building if possible. Several folks I sold to reported returning to their vehicle to find some jerk had backed into them when the vehicle was unattended...and you know who pays for that repair. I certainly tried to change the subject when that damn tire came up for the following other reasons.

1. Missing wheels and wheel covers (you can buy a wheel lock-although I am not sure about securing the soft cover).

2. Inconvenience for unloading in parallel parking areas.

3. Lack of rear window roll down or lift gate for extra long items.

4. Door opening on wrong side.

It does allow easy access to change a flat, but with today's tires, that is like keeping the tire changing tools in the console between the front seats. Sure is handy but who wants them there.

The RAV certainly has a kick [non-permissible content removed] engine, but read some posts at the Camry site about their tranny problems and the lack of cooperation from Toyota in addressing the problem. At this point, I would be careful, although they have a great rep.

The new RAV was an excellant chance to get rid of that feature???, but for some reason Toyota stuck with it. Picture that rig without that rear spare and you see a SF. I think with other SUVs changing to more streamlined looks, that rear accoutrement will be old hat soon.

Joe in Texarkana
  • reca1reca1 Posts: 14
    I picked up my new Santa Fe Limited AWD on July 10th. Nice vehicle but I've taken it back to the dealership twice with a windshield noise problem that they can't find. Every time I go over 40 mph, wind noise comes from the windshield. Tomorrow will be my third time back to the dealership (Washington Hyundai). If they can't fix it, I'll ask for a replacement Santa Fe under my states Lemon Laws.
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Was this corrected for you?
  • Bought our 2007 SE two weeks ago and haven't regretted buying this vehicle. My wife and I originally went to the dealership to look at a used VW Passat Wagon. However, prior to going to the dealership to look at the VW I conducted some research and came across the 07 Santa Fe and was impressed by it's styling so we decided against the VW and asked to test drive the Santa Fe. My wife and I both loved it, but wanted to try out the new 2007 Honda CRV, which didn't wow us like the Santa Fe had. But being Honda people we put a deposit on the CRV and went home while Honda worked on the financing. However, soon after we got home we both new we didn't like the CRV so we called Honda and got our deposit back.

See the real problem was we were "snobs". We thought people would laugh at us for driving a Hyundai, but upon further thought we realized this Santa Fe was an awesome vehicle and far superior to the CRV in every way.

When we look to replace my '99 Altima I will definitely start first at the Hyundai dealership for it's replacement. And I suspect by then we'll be seeing a lot more Hyundai's on the road.
  • Has anyone driven the new GLS with a manual tranny?
    TIA
  • A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased an SUV and crossover because of its optional or standard third-row seating. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I hope that you are still so ecstatic at trade in time or on your visits to the repair shop. Good luck with your Santa Fe.
  • fnamowicz, I assume your somewhat sarcastic remark is based on actual experience... Would you care to elaborate?

I purchased my first Santa Fe new back in July of 2001 as a result of the favorable reviews I found on the internet. 5+ years and 139,000 miles later, my Santa Fe still looks, runs and feels like new with only routine maintenance. The biggest expense I had was this past month when I had new tires put on, and the struts & ball joints replaced. All in all, my experience with Hyundai has been nothing but pleasant.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    Hyundai is number three in initial quality for 2006, and brand loyalty is skyrocketing due to their new designs. It is superior in every way, except for gas mileage, with the V6-less CR-V, especially in the area of towing and interior and exterior design. The 2007 CR-V a bit of an ugly-duckling IMO. It also beats out the Rav4 in interior room and quality, but I'll admit that the V6 in the Rav4 is a beast.
  • I finally did it . I am now the proud ownder of a Limited SF. Anticipating the AWD to come in somewhere early Jan, I reconsidered the FWD, living in Southern California where 90% of the land is paved. So, Touring and Premium packages were included, and an extended warranty. Kearny Mesa Hyundai/Subaru had 5 star customer service and exceptional flexability. My first new car in over 10 years, and initially I wouldn't even utter the word Hyundai, Now I consider myself amongst the lucky few to have purchased this new generation vehicle and become part of an exceptionally growning and suprisingly dependable auto company. I couldn't be prouder with my american dollar.

Thanks to all on the site who contributed to the knowlege pool and helpful hints and buying tactics. EVERYTHING was helpful.

Happy Driving All

rjh
  • Back in July of '01 I took a chance and purchased a Santa Fe for my wife. Close to six years and over 139k miles later, it still looks great and runs as smooth as it did when it was new with only routine maintenance. We've been so impressed with it that the new SF was at the top of my short list when we started shopping for a new vehicle a few months ago. We ended up getting an AWD Limited with both the touring and premium packages. While I was happy with our old SF, the new one is miles above in every way.
  • We bought an '06 Limited in April. I've looked at the '07s and we almost waited to buy an '07. But now that I've seen them up close, I'm glad we got the '06. Some people may not like the looks but we actually think it looks bettet than the '07. Seems like all of the smaller suvs are starting to look alike. And yes we just love our Santa Fe Limited. I can't get over how well int handles. We didn't get AWD. We get snow, but not that much. In the pouring down, monsoon type rain on the Interstate....it's as if it is glued to the highway. Just love it.
  • You mentioned an extended warranty. All new Hyundais come with 10/100000 on the powertrain and 5/60000 bumper to bumper standard.
  • Read in the manual the no formal break-in is neccessary for the SF. However, it is suggested that "in order to perserve the durability on longevity of your car..." the following actions should be practiced for the first 1,200 miles. One of these is driving no faster than 55mph. Ok, with all due respect, I live in Southern California and if I drove that slow I'd prolly get pulled for a ticket, in an accident or even shot! well, not that extreme, but this practice just can't happen. So I keep it between 60-70mph. Figure this will be fine for the time being. Anyone else doing anything different with their break-in practices or can suggest other break-in pointers?
  • Nope. Just running it smoothly at 60/70mph. Not getting on it. YET! :)

Not too concerned with the "break-in". With such a great warranty and such a nice SUV I cant drive 55. Im on the East Coast in NYC. I prob would get shot. :) Good luck with the new Santa and enjoy!