Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Oh great....remind me not to buy tires at Discount Tire anymore, if they are taking in others' tires, previously mounted and driven on, and the selling them as new to me. How do I know you haven't hit curbs with them and damaged a belt?

Perhaps this is common in the industry, and that I just didn't realize it.

Going to be extra careful now to make sure they still have the mfg new stickers on them when I buy anywhere next time.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Perhaps this is common in the industry, and that I just didn't realize it.

Did anyone say that they sold them as new??? Maybe I missed that but I don't think Discount Tire or anyone else is selling used tires as new.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    How would you compare the 215/50 R17 3treads vs. the Oem tires?
  • Options
    cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    Don't be silly! Of course they are NOT sold as new. They are sold as USED. This is very common.

cusafr
  • Options
    ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    Cusafr etal, Thanks for the replies. Apparently no one worked directly with the dealer on the swap-out. I'm very pleased with the GY Triple Treds on our 2001 Camry and the 2005 Pilot. They perform so much better in wet and icy conditions. It sounds like there is no problem going to that tire on the 07 Accord EX. Ralph
  • Options
    nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    Does anyone know where I can find Toyo Tires teh eclipse model--I have an '07 Accord EX-L v6 and those michelins are a little rough....I live near NY city
  • Options
    Where did you get these tires? I live near New York City.
  • Options
    corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Click on the link and enter your zip code:
    http://www.toyo.com/docs/findadealer.asp

Regards
    Corkscrew
  • Options
    I posted here previously about the hard ride of the Michelins on my Accord (215 17 50 series). Now I'm wondering if anyone knows about mounting 55 series tires on that car--any experiences? I'm wondering if this is advisable--or not.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Hmm someone might be willing to trade 205/60 16 tires and wheels for 215/50 17 tires and wheels. It is a lot easier to find comfort oriented tires in a 205/60 17 size (and a lot easier to find performance tires in a 215/50 17 size!).
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I just downgraded performance for my Accord. :surprise:

Went from the 205/60 16 to 205/65 15 for my snow tires (Michelin X-ice). Now I am ready for winter. They arrive tomorrow and I will swap out the summer rubber once the snow starts to fly.

I almost went with the 195/65 15 (standard on the VP) for a narrower profile (more bite in the snow) but the tire is .7 inches shorter than stock, so I kept the same width.
  • Options
    That's not a downgrade, that is modifying a vehicle to provide better performance under expected conditions. If it snowed here more than 3x last year, I would be strongly considering snow tires.
  • Options
    What other Honda family wheels fit on an '07 Accord? Will the 17" wheels from a TSX, TL, or Civic SI work? I am sure the bolt pattern is fine, but the offset and rim width is what I am curious about.
  • Options
    OK, Folks, I've been posting before in this forum, But I feel like I've gone in circles, so I'll restate and see what feedback comes in: I have a new '07 Accord V-6 EX-L with the Michelin MXM 17" 50 series 215 width--stock tires. I find them a hard ride, wondered about putting on a 55 series instead,-hopefully producing a slight softer feel, but I've had ALL kinds of conflicting feedback from dealers, mechanics etc. Tire dealers say don't do it--since the Vehicle stability assist and ABS will be thrown-off. A mechanic who only does Hondas said my idea would pose no problem. Of course, HONDA recommends against this. I'm looking for definitive feedback. If I can't switch to a 55 series for a slightly more compliant ride, is there a 50 series out there that will actually ride a little softer than these expensive Michelins? One dealer said that I couldn't do ANY BETTER than with Michelins I have for smoothness and quiet..... so......
    Anyone out there with this model Accord who knows THE TRUTH? I'd certainly appreciate hearing from you. I hope I've articulated my question clearly. Experts only need respond....
  • Options
    The tire rack knows! Tirerack.com. Check out the customer survey/ reviews.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I would not go with a different size tire if the diameter, weight, or width difference would be more than 1/2" or more than a couple of ounces. It can adversely affect many things, including the transmission. If you go to tirerack.com, you can look for tires the same size as the original tires that will ride smoother. Using the survey results, tire tests, and performance categories you can narrow the choices down to the perfect tire for your personal tastes. Hope this helps, Good luck in your search for the perfect tire.
  • Options
    I don't think that going from a 50 series to a 55 series is going to make a whole lot of difference in ride quality at this point. The issue with making that change is the speedometer (and odometer) will read fast, and it can actually affect the final drive ratio of the car (in certain circumstances thats a good thing). If you change the width of the tire to keep the circumference the same, then you have a smaller footprint. If the tire is appreciably smaller, you might need new wheels that are narrower.

You might want to investigate the different tires available in the factory size opting for a "touring" tire as opposed to a "performance" tire. That might allow more sidewall flexibility.

Another option might be to trade with someone with a 4cyl EX with the 205/60R16 tires and wheels.

I guess the short answer is find a tire that is more oriented towards your driving style and needs in the factory stock size.
  • Options
    oldmansioldmansi Member Posts: 40
    I feel the same way about my stock tires on my 06 V6 coupe. the stock ride is very firm, almost harsh, but not quite. I believe that most of this is due to the 17 inch wheels and 50 series V rated tires. I know the Michelin's are expensive and I am not a big fan of them, but I have heard that the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S H rated tire in the same size (215 50 17) provides a slight but noticeable difference in ride quality. Tire Rack reviews are very good on this tire and yes it is costly but I may try them out as these stock tires (V rated) are unbearable. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    The speed rating has less to do with the overall firmness and more to do with the overall structural integrity of the tire. You might be better off looking at a non-Michelin "touring" tire. Tire rack lists like 30 "touring" tires that have fitments in the factory size. The Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread and the Turanza are highly rated for comfort.
  • Options
    grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I recently came across a article on another forum ,in regards to the
    215/50/17 tires on Accord's,Altima's,and Camry' being the worst possible tires to have on these cars for driving in snow. The article recommended replacing the tires because if they spin in ice and snow the traction control will apply the brakes such that you won't be able to move forward. Sounds crazy to me,but i wanted to run it by
    Honda owners who have driven in winter snow.
    Comments??
  • Options
    It sounds like internet lore. No compromise all-season tire will give as good of performance as dedicated snow tires which are made out of a different material and are usually sized slightly narrower, but an all season tire should be acceptable in light snow, especially a new one.
    The traction control system allows some slip, so it should figure out what is happening and get you underway. Flooring it might not do anything though, just keep retarding the throttle and grabbing the brakes. The electronic systems are designed to help drivers, not compensate for being an idiot or something.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Flooring it might not do anything though, just keep retarding the throttle and grabbing the brakes. The electronic systems are designed to help drivers, not compensate for being an idiot or something.

And, in the Honda you can completely disable the VSA at the touch of a button. I do not know about the Toyota.
  • Options
    grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    Good point thegraduate. I had forgotten about the VSA switch on the Accord. The manual does mention you have the option of shutting off the VSA if needed to help get un stuck in snow.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Drove in today in VERY slick conditions, black ice and light, slippery snow. Cars were off the road left and right and people were getting stuck at the bottom of even small hills. The town crews really dropped the ball, they should have been out with the salt and sand trucks when this started at about 5am.

I made it in ok, but REALLY can't wait to get my snow tires on today. Traction control (or whatever Honda calls it) was quite effective as was ABS, but these stock Dunlops (215-60-16) aren't good enough for these conditions up here in VT by a long shot.

-Dave in VT
  • Options
    satutoringsatutoring Member Posts: 7
    anyone have the cooper cs4 tires? I was told they're as good as the stock michelins and a lot cheaper. any other suggestions for tires?
  • Options
    My grandparents use Cooper tires on their Civic and like them. I will be replacing my Michelins with Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires when the Michs wear out.
  • Options
    The Honda Manual recommends that if stuck in snow or mud that you can turn off the VSA so that you can rock the car. I believe it recommends doing so before any attemps to rock the car out.
  • Options
    joesfreeemailjoesfreeemail Member Posts: 1
    OK, once and for all...I have a 03 Accord EX I-4. The manual says I need a tire with a speed rating of V. The guy at Discount Tire said I need at least an H. They have the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, which seems to get great reviews, but it's a T rated tire. The Discount Tire guy said that would compromise the handling of the car and Honda says I should not use it, but is it really going to matter? I'm not driving 130 mph and I'm not weaving in and out of traffic or taking corners at 50 mph. I drive about 75 on the highway, but that's about as rowdy as I get.

They have the Eagle GT for about the same price and the Tire Guy was pushing the Yokohama YK520 for about 30 bucks more per tire. The Goodyear's a 50k, the Yokohama is a 60k and the Goodrich is a 70k.

So does speed rating really mean that much? Do I really need to flip an extra $120 for an H or is the T ok?
  • Options
    To the average driver, V isnt necessary, although since I like the good handling feel of the Accord, I'd stay at an H or better if I could.
  • Options
    Grad's right. I don't think the lower rated tires handle as well. It depends on what you want and what you want to pay. I got the Goodyear comfort treads and I notice they don't handle as well as the Michelins and the mpg is 1 to 1.5 less. So,sometimes, the initial cost of the tire is not the ultimate cost. Check out the Tire rack customer surveys and get what you want.
  • Options
    They have the Eagle GT for about the same price and the Tire Guy was pushing the Yokohama YK520 for about 30 bucks more per tire. The Goodyear's a 50k, the Yokohama is a 60k and the Goodrich is a 70k.

These "50k" or "60k" ratings are relatively meaningless. What they are referring to is a "treadwear index" that each manufacturer assigns their own tires. That number means it lasts X-times as long as a "standard tire" (which they supposedly buy to test against). There is no standard for how the test is performed. That treadwear number also represents the hardness of the tread, so typically the higher the number the lower the grip.

So does speed rating really mean that much? Do I really need to flip an extra $120 for an H or is the T ok?

A V-rated tire is stronger than an H-rated tire is stronger than a T-rated tire...those speed ratings mean the carcass is strong enough to handle the additional temperature and forces from a wheel spinning faster. "Performance tires" aren't just for weaving around cones or curves, they also stop faster and respond better in emergency situations.

So what you are asking is "will I feel a difference between a $70 tire and a $100 tire? Yes, most likely you would.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have V rated summer tires, but my snow tires are only rated Q (96 mph).

They do not handle as well in the dry, but the car is certainly safe, and I drive at 80 on the interstate without worry. I have been running Q rated snows for the last 15 years.

I would not run Q rated summer tires, but H should be fine.
  • Options
    So, in my tortured quest for a slightly softer ride in my 2007 v-6 EXL, (it has Michelin MXM 17" 50 series), I've been advised by tire dealers: don't change the diameter to a 55 series; it'll screw up the car, won't improve the feel and of course be waste of money. But a dedicated Honda mechanic told me it WOULD be okay to do this. So, my question is: is there anyone on this forum who HAS made this kind of change, and what has been the result? Definitely DON'T want to screw up the car, ie VSA, ABS, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Look at the tire rack comfort ratings from people who actually bought the tires. It's not that difficult. I got the Assurance Comfort treads,the highest rated "comfort rated" tire, which stopped my 02 V6 from " beating me." Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    nrborod -

I have the perfect solution for you! I will trade you my 2007 16" wheels, which use a taller sidewall and will give you a softer ride, for your 17" v-6 wheels! You could keep the same overall diameter as you have now, but with a smaller wheel and taller sidewall. :)

I'm actually looking for a slightly stiffer ride and would like to purchase a set of 17" wheels.

Does anyone know of a good place to find 17" OEM Accord wheels?

I can obviously buy them through the dealer, but the price is way too high. I'm looking for second-hand wheels, from someone who has upgraded/changed their factory wheels, or from a wrecked Accord with good wheels?

Any suggestions on businesses, websites, forums, classifieds that I could utilize to find these factory Accord wheels?
  • Options
    I have the perfect solution for you! I will trade you my 2007 16" wheels, which use a taller sidewall and will give you a softer ride, for your 17" v-6 wheels! You could keep the same overall diameter as you have now, but with a smaller wheel and taller sidewall.

I'm actually looking for a slightly stiffer ride and would like to purchase a set of 17" wheels.

LOL I tried that already ;)

I'm looking for second-hand wheels, from someone who has upgraded/changed their factory wheels, or from a wrecked Accord with good wheels?

eBay. Craigslist. Local tuner forums (I think the Michigan one is xceedspeed or something). Tire Rack.
  • Options
    Well, Jeez, thanks for the offer. One major problem: those very nice looking 17" aluminum wheels that came with the car. Wouldn't want to lose them. Good luck in YOUR quest, though! By the way, I had an '04 EX-L 4 cyl with 16" wheels, and there's a BIG diff. between that car and the 17" 50series ride and handling on my current Accord. ALOT firmer, for sure. Plus the car is sprung differently.
  • Options
    Wanted to thank you for your reply. Have you changed tires on your Accord? Is there really anything within the 17" 50 series that will make a real diff? Or will it be fool's money spent.... Tires can get costly. Let me know what you find out.
  • Options
    ken7707ken7707 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 EX 4-Cylinder Sedan.

The MXV4 Michelins have 34k on them now and with winter and snow coming quickly here in Connecticut, I think its time to get some new shoes

I'm looking for All-Season tires.

It's very important that I get a tire that offers a smooth and quiet ride along with a tire that gives me a solid grip in nasty weather conditions.

The local dealers suggested I look at the following tires:
    Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
    Goodyear Triple Tred
    Mastercraft XLR Cooper
    Toyo Spectrum

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    You might also want to take a look at the Kumho Solus and the Yokahama AVID if ride comfort/low noise is paramount. You might want to read the reviews at tire rack; pay special attention to the reviews for similar vehicles.
  • Options
    royaltyroyalty Member Posts: 27
    Cautionary note: Goodyear Triple Treds ride like bricks! They have amazing traction in any kind of weather but they ride very hard. I tried them and returned them. I went back to the Michelins.
  • Options
    I didn't know one can return tires once purchased.....who does that?
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I didn't know one can return tires once purchased.....who does that?

Royalty.......Yes...who does that? So I know where I will never go to buy "new" tires!
  • Options
    Discount tire and Belle Tire in SE MI both will take back tires if you aren't happy with them. Used tires that are effectively new get resold as "take offs."
  • Options
    ntran2ntran2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with changing from an LX steel wheel to the Ex alloy style wheel. I bought the alloy wheels from a guy and it is the same car (2005 accord 4dr). But when I went to get them put on by the tire shop, they told me that it didn't fit the center hole. I dont' know what the problem is. Is the problem that because there is something a steel wheel use to help it stay on?
  • Options
    All I can think of is the fact that the wheel and tire size is different altogether on the 4-cyl EX (205/60R16) versus the 4-cyl LX (205/65R15 I think)
  • Options
    Is the problem in the front or the back? The front hubs are identical, as is the spindle. Was there any issue with corrosion on the rims or on the hub surface?

Since the stock wheels in the front and the wheels from the back are obviously interchangeable for tire rotation, it would be weird that stock EX wheels wouldn't also be interchangeable.
    If the other rims were aftermarket there is a hub-centric ring that is sometimes required. Since in your case, the rims are stock, I don't know why you would need one.
    I would check the hub surface for damage and the wheel surface for damage.
    It is likely you will need new lug nuts, however, as the style typically used for steel wheels doesn't work with alloy wheels.
  • Options
    All I can think of is the fact that the wheel and tire size is different altogether on the 4-cyl EX (205/60R16) versus the 4-cyl LX (205/65R15 I think)

Nah, shouldn't make a lick of difference. It has nothing to do with the hub diameter or the bolt pattern of the wheel.
  • Options
    I didn't figure it would matter (too many people in LX Accords with EX wheels!). The point of my post was to say that the listed size of the wheels was the only difference between them.
  • Options
    dansdaddansdad Member Posts: 7
    I have a 97 accord and I need to get good tire chains that are hopefully easy to install. Can I get any help? Thanks Dave Gale