Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• Options
    jeepvanjeepvan Member Posts: 46
    So are we sure 08 is not the new design? I still believe in my instincts, that 08 is the new model year. Honda always released new models during Sep/Oct of the previous year. So, my guess is 07 October will see the new 08 pilot model. BTW, i am ok with the Guesstimate Sketch of 09 Pilot, much better than the Durango, i mean MDX.
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    So are we sure 08 is not the new design?
    Yes, I've seen posts from at least 3 different Honda dealers showing model information for ordering 08 Pilots, and that information confirms it is not a re-design. For instance, see this Ohio Honda dealer info site
  • Options
    hmmm. i am thinking of going to lexus rx350. currently, it is in its last model year, so there are very good deals. Besides, it is a very quiet car. 10K more than pilot, but if i use it for the next 10 years, it is worth it.

But I love hondas, always been driving honda in spite of its horrible road noise. Not a big fan of the new CRV, looks small to me, and thought the Pilot will be redesigned for 08. Thought about MDX but it is like dodge durango, and no good colors. The other option is the old highlander.

but i think i will wait a few more months to decide.
  • Options
    coach06coach06 Member Posts: 16
    but i think i will wait a few more months to decide

I'm right there with you as far as waiting. I test drove the 07' Pilot this past weekend and asked my salesperson about the 08's. I was informed that the pilot would be redesigned for 08;however, he said he could give me a good deal on an 07' because of the new designed. :)
  • Options
    ab_vt89ab_vt89 Member Posts: 1
    I was at my local Honda dealer (Cary, NC) looking at Pilots yesterday, and the salesman I was working with said Honda originally planned to make the 2008 model a redesign, but they were behind schedule. So the 2008 is not a redesign, but the 2009 model would be and they might bring it out early, like Spring of 2008.

Just thought I would pass that bit of gossip on to the readers here.
  • Options
    stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    wife has '06 Pilot 4wd.. Honda dealer said a few months ago that a new design would be in '08.. however my guess is they'll delay it .. come out instead with the '09 version
    ( rather than an '08 1/2) in late winter-spring '08 .. why the delay.. hmmm... maybe put a hybrid in it... yop.. that's my guess.. gotta be :shades:
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    A diesel will hit the Pilot long before any hybrid, but maybe not by the 2009 model year.
  • Options
    stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    I doubt a diesel will show up in any of the Japanese/Korean vehicles... with Toyota going to the hybrid in their Highlander...and both companies pushing hybrid tech in their cars you'll probably see a hybrid CRV soon also.. probably right before the Pilot...

the diesel isn't w*rking in the small Jeeps.. that's being scraped.. only good for larger 'real trucks' like Ram 2500.. Silverado 2500.. F250 types.. after having 5 Suburban 4x4's in a row.. just turned in my 3 yr lease this past March... could've used a diesel in them...but that may be the last of the big trucks for me.. I'm looking now that we're down to one vehicle ..the Pilot... why.. because one vehicle ain't gonna cut it
  • Options
    Bamacar is correct. Recent interviews of Honda CEO show him talking about 2 diesel engines, one of which is targeted toward Pilot / Odyssey / Ridgeline. (but more in 09 or 10 as noted by Bamacar)
  • Options
    ricksabricksab Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would throw this out. I was the 3rd one in Columbus to get the Pilot when it first came out. I received my pilot on June 4th, 2002 - so I am almost at 5 years. While it has been a great truck and will buy another one - I HATE waiting for the redesign. I have looked at others but there is nothing out there that is even close to price versus quality.

I like the MDX but refuse to use premium gas - and the new pilot better not even think of it.

I live in columbus and try my best to get any info out of corporate (Marysville, Oh) but can not get a word. Unfortunetly, I agree, it is going to be calendar 08.

As far as maintenance - 80,000 miles and the only unexpected thing was a small drip coming from some loose radiator fitting. I have a dog so had to spend $180 to get it fixed and that is it. My buddies tell me the first new cars off the assembly line get a triple inspection before they go out.

Sorry guys, "Spring" release might be a year away
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    That is awesome to hear, yeah you have to wait for the new one...Every indication I have read and I am reading everything got google alerts on it and all, this next iteration is Spring 08 no doubt....likely we see something LA or Detroit Auto Shows, so really in the scheme of things before you know it the car will be out, but dying waiting. Def will not have Prem gas...that is reserved for Acura and this car is tailored towards families, will be based on the MDX but more conservative, less expensive and better fitted towards families.

I for one can't wait for it as I will be right then in the market for a family type car with AWD and want to stay in the Honda family. I have checked out the new GMC Acadia...I hope they can equal that car in terms of styling and good space as well as increase mileage in anyway possible.

B.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    The Pilot for model year 2008 will be a new redesign.

This model will be at your favorite Honda dealer in October this year.
  • Options
    Everything I have heard says otherwise, where do you get your info we see the new designed model this Oct?

B.
  • Options
    07pilot4me07pilot4me Member Posts: 52
    i've heard conflicting stories, seems like it would benefit Honda to release a re-design earlier, since the pilot has not had a re-design in years.

09 seem more likely since the pilots traditionally follow the MDX as far as re-designs go. 2 years apart
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Yes, please could you tell us where you got your info from? Thanks
  • Options
    Pilot usually gets released the next year after MDX shows up. (not 2 years) So, i have strong feelings that it will be a new model year for pilot in 08, and we will see it sept/oct this year.
  • Options
    Hello,

So I looked into this the Pilot was introduced in summer/fall 02 as an 03 and the MDX fall/winter 00 as 01...so that makes sense they do the same thing, so 08 model as 09. Thus more then 1 year.

Sorry, but everything out there now indicates 08 intro.

B.
  • Options
    l101858rl101858r Member Posts: 16
    The dealer I talked with this week said Honda decided to wait until 08 to bring out the redesigned pilot, didn't want to take anything away from the redesigned Honda Accord.
  • Options
    eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    The dealer I talked to today was said it will be the 1st quarter of 08 for the redesign release, but he didn't know yet if it will be called an 08 or an 09.

He wouldn't say how he got this info, but he was convinced it was correct.

As usual, take anything a dealer says with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    Sorry. I cannot reveal my sources.

If you are in the market for a new Pilot you have two choices:
    a) Wait until October for the redesigned Pilot. This will sell at list price so dont expect any bargains.

b) Buy the 2007 Pilot way below MSRP. The firesale will start in the last week of August and will continue until all the 2007s are sold. Honda will be offering dealers generous incentives so dont shed any tears when the dealer tells you "I am not making on this deal".

I will check back with this forum in October!
    Best wishes for the Summer!
  • Options
    tesahsutesahsu Member Posts: 1
    I am a current owner of a 2005 Honda Pilot and too am waiting anxiously for the 2008 Honda Pilot. I love the 2007 MDX, but would purchase the Pilot if the updated version is up to par. However, according to hondapreview.com, the Honda Pilot will not be redesigned for 2008. Don't know which articles are true, since I have seen the 2008 redesign published on many websites. Hondapreview.com is the only one that denies that the 2008 will be the year for the Pilot remake. According to hondapreview.com. a special edition and VP edition of the current version (200x - 2007) of the Honda Pilot will be available in 2008. I've never heard of a VP Honda edition, so this may not be true.
  • Options
    Hello,

I am confident we see a new Honda Pilot in 2008 as a 2009 model. If you truly want the best info on Honda's you should visit vtec dot net (wrote it out as not sure if they bar links).

B.
  • Options
    Guys,
    Try to look beyond the Pilot. There is another excellent SUV in the market: Acadia.

This is what Dave Vanderwerp wrote in MOTOR TREND:

"Heres another example of what GM is capable of when it invests real money on a new vehicle. The Acadia's striking exterior, excellent steering and brake feel and near minivans level of passenger space. This is by far GMs best people hauler."
  • Options
    Hello,

Yes fully aware of the GM twins Acadia and Outlook I think they are great checked them out and all, If they are any indication of things to come.... I expect the Pilot to surpass them.

Later,
    B.
  • Options
    winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    VRM

Work for GM, perhaps!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We do have a comparison topic some of you may be interested in:

Compare the CX-9, Veracruz, Pilot, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave and Freestyle

(Yep, that was a hint :shades: )
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    VRM,

I had narrowed down my search to the Pilot and Acadia. Acadia is definitely a good product. The reasons I chose the Pilot over the Acadia are:

Reliability. Pilot has a proven record. Acadia is still new and I generally keep away from the first two model years of a brand new product.

Space. Acadia is much bigger on the outside but the interior space is not proportionally more than the Pilot.

Price. GM dealers get one hit and they get arrogant. Many are asking MSRP and no discounts. I have never paid MSRP for any car and never will. A similarly optioned Acadia was about 5K more than the pilot (after pilot discounts)

Warranty: Got a 8/120K zero deductible Honda Warranty for $1230 + tax. GM warranties quotes where over $2k for much less coverage.

Again, I am not saying Acadia is a bad product. I just found Pilot to be a better value.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I find it interesting that you comment on how reliable the Pilot is, but you still bought the extended warranty. It just seems funny to me.

Best of luck with your new car.
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I'll admit that pilot hasn't been as reliable as some of the Japanese built Honda. Recently even Honda and Toyota have had their share of problems. I think they are still more reliable than most domestic brands.

Buying an extended warranty is a personal choice. I will do it for the right price at $1230 + tax for a 8 year 120K mile warranty it made sense to me as I plan to keep the truck for atleast 10 years. I figure it's worth spending 165 bucks a year for peace of mind. If they warranty was over $2000, I would have skipped and taken my chances.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    That makes sense. Hope you never have to use it.
  • Options
    08 Pilots (not the redesign) should be on the lots by mid-July, including the new trims of VP and SE.
  • Options
    Shouldn't we change this thread to Honda Pilot 2009 Redesign?

B.
  • Options
    ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    dbt-any new info on if/when Honda will introduce a diesel in the Pilot/Odyssey/Ridgeline platforms, what size it will be, etc? Has Honda used any diesels previously in any of their products? Thanks

J
  • Options
    The last I saw on Honda light truck diesels was this:
    Honda truck Diesels, suggesting 2009+, with V6 but not much other details.
  • Options
    dbt- Thanks!

J
  • Options
    kygirl1kygirl1 Member Posts: 1
    Interested in finding out whether the 2008 Pilot will be a towable vehicle. We have a motorhome for traveling & want to tow a vehicle behind us. The CRV is towable but we'd rather have a Pilot. The 2007 Pilot was not towable but thought that since the 2008 model is being redesigned, perhaps it would be towable. Anyone have any idea? Thanks.
  • Options
    As you could find out by reading the messages above, the 2008 Pilot is not a redesign [the 09, available next spring, is a redesign though, no new info] I don't have the fact sheet, but I presume that the 2008 will be able to tow just as much as the 07: [after installing power steering & tranny fluid coolers] 4wd max towing is 4500 lbs for boat trailers, and 3500 for other trailers, while it is 3500 for any trailers with 2WD.
  • Options
    New article came out today, on use of diesels by Honda in Japan (which has very, very limited current use of diesels):
    From Automotive news (registration required): Report: Honda to sell diesel cars in Japan by 2009
    Snippet: "Honda Motor Co. plans to sell diesel-fueled cars in Japan by 2009, the Nikkei business daily said, a move that could reignite the all but dead diesel passenger car segment in the world's third-biggest auto market. ... The newspaper said Honda planned to introduce diesels also in Japan from 2009, and might speed that up to 2008. The engines would first be used in key models such as the CR-V SUV and Accord sedan, it said."
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on Honda diesels.

Also, another Honda diesel article that just came out today on Autoblog.com regarding an upcoming (September '07) UK Honda offering a clean turbo diesel (2.2L i-CDTi), which delivers 140 bhp @ 4,000 RPM and 250 lb-ft torque @ 2,000 RPM in an Accord Sport GT and Accord SE w/ a reported combined fuel economy of ~42.8 mpg; this 2.2L turbo diesel is slated for the Accord and CR-V platforms. Hopefully a V6 3.0L turbo diesel for the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey platforms is not too far down the road!

J
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    had 100% reliability, I would still opt for the extended warranty...having faith in the vehicle's reliability, and buying said vehicle, still allows for the possibility of an engine or transmission or A/C failure which could cost thousands to repair...one bad bolt, one clogged lube hole, anything COULD happen, which is why the ins, to me, is always well worth it...

Kinda like life insurance...I bet them I will die, they bet I won't...if I (actually, my heirs) don't collect on it, it just means that I was in better shape than I thought I was, and lived...:):):):):)
  • Options
    American Honda has now put 2008 Pilot info up on their website: 2008 Pilot at Honda.com

Pricing info from there:
    MSRP Trim Level
    $27,595* 2WD VP
    $28,995* 4WD VP
    $29,745* 2WD EX
    $31,145* 4WD EX
    $31,595* 2WD SE
    $32,995* 4WD SE
  • Options
    Yikes. same old dull colors. WTF are they thinking ?
    :mad: road noise :mad:

I have decided to say good-bye to Honda for the next few years. Though MDX and CRV are solid builds, their overall appearance sucks. I can get the hints from these 2 vehicles about the redesign of 09 pilot. The 09 pilot will be a solid build, but a clumsy design with ugly & dull colors.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Unfortunatly, it seems that dull colors are an industry-wide disease. For example, you'd think Scion would have some snappy ones, right? Sorry, the worst I've seen. Most everything is some version of metallic grey, with some beige or red added in for variety.
  • Options
    todostodos Member Posts: 13
    I am so disappointed. I have been holding out on buying a new SUV since January in anticipation of a new 2008. The same dull colors, the same outdated look.

Don't get me wrong, the vehicle is great and worth every penny, but with so many new and updated vehicles coming out, the pilot resembles a dinosaur.
  • Options
    umpoutumpout Member Posts: 2
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4045
    06/20/2007 - Torrance, Calif. -
    The 2008 Honda Pilot goes on sale today, introducing two new variations to the lineup, American Honda Motor Co., Inc, announced today. The all-new Pilot Value Package and Special Edition trims debut, building on accomplished trims with popular feature content. As with previous Honda Value Package and Special Edition trim levels, these added features represent a significant value without a significant price increase. The Value Package and Special Edition start at $27,595 and $31,595, respectively. Destination and handling charges for all 2008 Honda models are $595.

"The Pilot was a conceptual pioneer within its segment when it was introduced," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "And it continues to evolve to meet the changing needs of customers."

For the first time in its six years on the market, the Pilot is available in two new trim levels, the Value Package and the Special Edition. The Value Package builds on and replaces 2007's value-leading LX trim, adding rear privacy glass, machined alloy wheels, XM® Satellite Radio, upgraded audio to include a 6-disc CD changer and additional speakers, roof rails, steering-wheel mounted audio controls, and body-colored door mirrors, door handles and rear spoiler. The Special Edition supplements the available EX trim, adding in-demand features like a DVD rear entertainment system, XM® Satellite Radio, power moonroof, 115-volt power outlet and ambient console lighting.
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Yep, same old Pilot. 2009 redesign will have to be extrodinare.
  • Options
    Unfortuntely, if it has anything in common with the CR-V, I'm very worried. Many recent designs are reducing rear/side visibility in the name of style. If you're ever close to the new Buick Enclave, check out how much of the rear/side windows are actually bodywork covered in glass.
  • Options
    raysbugmraysbugm Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L does not ride as smoothly as my 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L. I don't know whether it could be a problem with wheel balancing or wheel alignment. Does anybody have any ideas?
  • Options
    I wouldn't think balancing or alignment would do it - are the tires the same brand/model at equal pressure?
  • Options
    lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    start buy checking tire pressures