Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Electrical Problems

Comments

• ewuewu Posts: 13
    My car has starting problem recently.
    I can not start it right after I turn it off.
    But it has radio and light, and battery light is on also when try starting.
    I can not hear any starting sound except a "click".

After wait for a while (after the engine cool enough???), it can be started without any problem.
    Could any body know the possible reasons?
    Thank you very much.
  • First thing to come to mind is a bad battery. How old is the battery? I just added water to my battery yesterday. Keep the water level up but don't overfill. I check my water level at least every three months. The heat from our weather today evaporates the water quickly. Click, click, click sound can also indicate a bad starter. If you can keep trying to start and it eventually catches then you might have a burnt spot on the stator of the starter. It will get worse until you can never get it to start again until the starter is replaced. Check the battery voltage first. If you see a date on the battery and it's getting to be four years old or older, just replace it. Get the largest amp rated battery you can afford. The more amps rated the easier it is on your starter too so not to burn so easily in the future. A 'Heavy Duty' battery rated is good. You'll probably spend anywhere from $60 to $80 for a battery but hey, they last for years. This is all I can tell you for now. Oh, check the battery connections. Most of us let them go without every cleaning them or keeping the clean of corrosion. Corrosion impedes electrical flow. Take the connectors loose with a wrench or vice grip and clean the battery post and connector with a good grit sand paper or wire brush. Make sure it shines before connecting cables back. Then, put a battery grease or vasoline works well too all over the connection. Check the grease every six months at the longest. You have to keep the air and moisture off the connectors. Good luck.
    Thank you, pstreicher.
    It seems the battery is fine.
    Is there anyway to check the starter myself?
    I just need this car for a coupole of months (looking for a new one). Thus jsut wanna keep expense on repairing it as little as possible.
  • From my experience in the past I was able to unbolt the starter and take it into a starter repair shop where they can hook it up to a tester. They can immediately pinpoint where the burn marks are and how bad they are if any at all. Then they would offer you either to repair that one or possibly sell you one they have already repaired that is on their shelf for sale. Neither you or I have a starter tester to check this. And, I don't remember if you can visually see burn damage on a starter's stator. Quite possibly you can but you won't be able to test to see how bad it is. My suspicion is if you can see dark burn marks on what normally looks copper or bronze colored metal then you have wear. The severity of the wear or burns is what the tester can check if good of bad. If bad it means that there is no continuity through the windings to the stator. The burn marks take away from conductivity and that's where the problems lie with starters. A check of prices for a new or repaired starter you may find is not that expensive. But, expensive to me might be different ot you. I'd say check out all the options yourself and decide what you want to do. Maybe a repaired starter would be cheap enough for you for the two months you need to use that car. A small investment in a repair to give you peace of mind knowing your car will start when you want it to. Good luck!
    Thank you very much.
    I am going to have my car (battery, starter) tested in Autozone tonight. Not sure how good they are, but it is free anyway. Hope they can find out something.
  • We own a 2003 Ford Taurus. The lights mounted inside the side mirrors on both doors will not turn off. Is there a fuse specifically for these two lights? Where's the fuse box? Any suggestions?
  • My Mercury Sable LS headlamps come on in the daylight when the switch is in the automatic position. The Headlamps shut off when driving at night, I was able to turn them on by manually turning the switch. The headlamps turned off and than came back on. I experimented with the headlamp switch by turning back to automatic to see if it would do it again and it shut off again and didn't come back on. I drove the rest of the way with the switch in manual. What is the problem and can it be fixed easily?
  • Hey,
    Got the problem fixed finally. It was the battery all along. Apparently sometimes when the plates get weak in the battery they will hit together and causes the whole car to short out. The mechanic who fixed it said that he has had one other car to do this and that is how he figured it out. The battery will not show battery on the testers unless it is actually doing it at the time. Replaced the battery and it has ran fine for over a month now. So Happy. :D
  • I have a 2000 Taurus that I bought about a year ago. When I turn the cruise on and hit the set button, the "cruise" light on the display flashs but doesnt stay on and the cruise ofcourse then doesnt work. If anyone has any ideas about how to fix this, if its something that I can fix, I would really appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks
  • 2003 Mercury keeps blowing fuses for the horn and cruise controls. It happens each time I blow the horn for anything more than a quick. No other electrical problems just this one quirky thing..suggestions????
  • eleoneleon Posts: 1
    Where can I locate the on board computer of a 1996 Taurus LX
  • This is stupid and unimportant, but I still want to know. On newer Fords (2003+) and other makes, it is possible to have the fog lights on with the parking lights. I have a 2002 Sable, and I have to have the headlights on in order to operate the fog lights. Is there any way to make it so that I can have my fog lights on without the headlights?
  • We just bought a '95 Ford Taurus with a turn signal that was out. Replacing the bulb did not work, and now nothing happens at all when I try to signal. Is this electrical or a just a simple fuse? Equally compelling, where is the fuse box located on this car? Having a similar problem with the brake lights. Changing to bulb makes no difference, and only the center one works. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!
    Happy New Year.
  • I have a 2000 Sable wagon LS. A couple weeks ago the door ajar light came on, my interior lights came on, and the doors kept locking/unlocking. It happened a couple times, then it started to happen more frequently. Then it drained my battery a few times and my battery died. We replaced the battery yesterday and now I am disconnecting my battery when I park so I don't come out to a dead one. My husband sprayed all the door locks last night with WD-40 (yay for that smell- yum, eh?) and today it was doing it again on my way to work. Yesterday it started doing something else as well. When I start it in the morning or after it has been sitting for a few hours, it sort of sputters and the idle keeps dropping for the first few minutes that it's on. The lights (in and out) dim when it sputters as well. Once I get going and drive, it's fine (except for the door locks going up and down the whole time). My husband couldn't find any vacuum hoses that were messed up or anything (that's what the sputtering reminded me of) and he took the alternator off the battery and the car still ran so it's not the alternator...any ideas? Could a fuse be causing the door problem? Or something really simple? I looked up door sensors and I think I saw that they were $130 dollars each?
  • :( I have a 1997 Taurus sedan with 68k that has been in the family since new. There have been no problems until a year ago.
    1) The factory alarm system sets itself off under different circumstances. Leaving the car unlocked is the only way to avoid the problem.
    2) The passenger window sometimes works and sometimes does not. The motor was replaced.
    3) I noticed what appears to be a ground strap on the drivers side that is attached to the body below the windshield and then to the hood. This strap is broken. Neither of my 2003 Taurus's have something like this. Does anyone know what it is for?

Any suggestions? Could the two issues be related?
    Thanks, Frank
  • I'm sure there is a way to install something in the existing wiring harness to activate this feature. (Ford Motor Co. does try to sell their cars in Canada which requires them!)
    Does anyone know where/how to do it? What part number is required? (Probably only sold to Canadian Dealers).
  • Did you get this resolved, we are having the same exact problems? thanks
  • One of the dash light burned out in my '02 Sable, so only half the tach. lights up. How do you replace these bulbs? Is it a fairly easy fix?
  • ergo3ergo3 Posts: 3
    the upper oval thing in the fusebox...95

thanks
  • After doing diagnostics, my husband has decided the sputtering is my O2 sensors, and its worse when its cold out. They will be a couple hundred to replace I guess, so we're going to do that soon. The door sensors are worse when it's cold or raining, and then they work fine when it's warmer out. They stopped causing problems for the most part a few days after I posted. If it rains or gets below 30 though, they give me problems. As soon as we can we'll be replacing all of them, since we can't seem to figure out which one is doing it. I found a seller on Ebay that charges like 22 bucks each for the door sensors, and about 45 or 50 for the rear tailgate sensor, so for $150 we'll just get them all and be done with the wondering. Will post the results after we get these things done
  • HOW DO I ROMOVE THE REAR DECK LIGHT HOUSING TO REPLACE THE BULBS??? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...
  • 99 SE- This has been going on for 3-4 weeks:
    1-Battery light began coming on periodically
    2-Began to blink on and off, seemed to do so with acceleration and braking
    3-Airbag and ABS lights infrequently came on, then would go off after a minute or two.
    4-Flickering became more frequent last several days, heater blower would cut out (and it was icy!), sometimes come back when I stopped.
    5-Did not drive for over 24 hours, then no crank at all.
    6-Replaced battery today, light still on as I drove home and no heater blower.
    Any ideas??
  • Just wandering if you have gotten this problem fixed. I also have a 2000 sable with the same problem with the headlights. I have replaced the headlight swich with no avail. thanks in advance.
  • spenser2spenser2 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I hope maybe someone can shed some light on this problem. I have a nice 1993 Ford Taurus, which I had an engine replaced in last year.
    Recently, something is draining the battery while the car is TURNED off. It is not the alternator or the starter and my friend's can not figure out where the electrical drain is coming from. I do not want to take it to a shop as at 60 bucks an hour it could take hours to find some random drain and I am trying to sell the car. It would take up most of my profit if it took a garage 6 or 7 hours to find it.
    Maybe no one here can help as it may not have happened to you, but if by chance someone has had the same issue, maybe you could advise.
    I put a new battery in it and within a week (no driving just being in my parking lot) the new battery was drained. I have a second battery in it now, but I have to unhook the battery when not in use or it will drain that one also.
    The only remote clue I might have to this drain is that the air bags do not work and I am not sure if this is connected to the air bags but every now and then, in fact quite often, even if car is OFF you will hear a loud BEEP BEEP BEEP coming from near the glove box. It will do that for about five minutes even if car is off. It also does it when you drive the car and will start at random several times while driving. It was doing it one day and my friend's even took out the glove box and could not tell where it was coming from. I wonder if that is the drain on the electrical system/battery. It is not a regular warning buzzer of any kind.
    Something is a constant pull/drain on the battery. I am trying to sell this car and I do not want to sell it to anyone until I know what this is and get it fixed.
    For now, I have to unhook the battery everytime I am not using the car or within days it will be drained. Othe then this issue, it runs great. My friends tested the starter and the alternator and it is not that, plus it drains brand new batteries even when not used at all.
    Thanks to anyone who might be able to shed any light on this. I appreciate it greatly.
  • I have a 2003 Sable with a factory alarm. It goes off randomly (headlights blink and horn sounds) while it is parked. It doesn’t matter if it is in the garage or outside, as well as the weather conditions (I live in MN).

I have read that you can splice the factory alarm disarm wire and ground it out. Is this the best option or do you have another opinion on why this keeps happening?

Thanks
    Chris
  • faustfaust Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a '98 Sable wagon. It is not expected to be a DD but still I worry about the transmission. The dealer tells me that the OD light flashes on an off. Does this indicate a problem, or just a loose wire?
  • dejaydejay Posts: 1
    I am 77 years old and working part time as I just had to down size as I lost half my income when my wife died last May. I purchased a 89 Sable with a 3.0 4 door. It is running hot and the radiator fan does not work. I am afraid to use the A/C as I have some Start-Stop traffic on the way to work. Once I get up to speed the needle stays around 1/2 way.

Is there any help??
    :( :mad:
    Thanks Frustrated Don
  • kdmcgannkdmcgann Posts: 7
    Ford 2001 taurus sedan - I turn on the headlights but the dashboard does not illuminate. All other night illuminations work, and the headlights are on ok. This exact same thing happened with my 99 taurus. Anybody know what's wrong, or have any references to other sites or info?