Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, the DBW has absolutely nothing to do with VSC. My 2001 AWD RX300 has VSC/Trac/etc, with a SOLID cable between the gas pedal and throttle butterfly.

Toyota adopted the DBW system to "protect the drive train", delay the onset of engine accelerating torque until a sequential downshift, following a full lift-throttle upshift, would be completed before the onset of engine torque rising.

Not that other uses aren't made of DBW now that its there.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    indirectly wwest, I'll contend it does - how else can these mfgrs. provide VSC to the consumers (and governmental agencies) that want it - without electronic (and computer)control of the accelerator, brakes, tranny etc., a contention you seem to later acknowledge in your post. What came first 'the chicken or the egg' now that I don't know.
    Maybe you're confusing VSC functionality with TC, Traction Control functionality. With TC on a FWD if a wheel begins to slip/spin due to engine torque both front brakes will be applied moderately and at the same time the engine will be dethrottled. On a RWD engine dethrottling may be delayed to give the driver time to "feather" the throttle in reaction to the wheelspin/slip. Prior to DBW engine dethrottling was accomplished via fuel cut through the injectors.

The brakes are used mostly for implementation of VSC functionality. Outside front brake for overstearing and inside rear brake for understearing. I suppose dethrottling the engine, especially with understearing, might be helpful, but again that can be accomplished via fuel cut.

Obviously with DBW available it would be best to cut both intake airflow and fuel.
    no confusion, to use something a little more Biblical - one 'begets' the other, once those DBW systems in place it is amazing how these computer nerds can screw up a car, what I don't understand is why the consumer even wants them?
    "..why the consumer even wants them..."

My 2001 Porsche 911/996 C4 has DBW and I have absolutely no complaints.

The real problem is that Toyota/Lexus adopted the DBW system as a fix, solution, for another problem that seemingly could not be solved otherwise. They adopted the automatic transaxle upshift technique back at the beginning of the RX production run and that resulted in premature transaxle failures for those models.

But the most obvious solution would have been to redesign the transaxle with a variable displacement ATF oil pump as Ford has done but that really is a major redesign whereas adopting the DBW system is relatively simple.

And then asking those computer nerds to throw in a 2-3 second throttle opening delay while the transaxle is downshifting to the more appropreate gear ratios is another simple matter.
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    Acetylene headlights metamorphosed to electricity, sealed beams, halogen, HID versions; brakes from two-wheel, contracting, to four-wheel expanding, front-disk/rear-drum, all-wheel disk; aircraft from fabric to aluminum, titanium, fly-by-wire.
    Without such progress, the possibility of a 270-horsepower, two-ton vehicle travelling above 70mph while attaining over 30 mpg, would be unlikely. It seems clear that most consumers prefer the fruits of invention. The decades-old Crown Victoria design is being remaindered while its maker flounders toward the future with too little, too late. Some stumbles by manufacturers trying too much or too soon are less likely to be fatal to the organization.
    no argument here, I drive a wonderful 05 Av Touring, get 27 mpg overall, and still have power that rivals most of those 60-70s 'muscle cars'. It is somewhat contradictory, loving those parts of this technology that serve my purpose, and loathing that part that doesn't.
    The real problem is that Toyota/Lexus adopted the DBW system as a fix, solution, for another problem that seemingly could not be solved otherwise
    you're sure that is not more like - hey, these 'safety' systems sell like hotcakes, the government will be requiring them shortly anyway, so let's put in the DBW and then, we can address things like TS and engine braking issues more easily? Chicken or the egg.
    Nissans were selling just fine at the time of the RX intro with hellatious TS and correspondent engine braking issues without the DBW. Don't perceive that either the consumer or even the 'safety' nuts thought it was that much of a problem at the time (say 2002-03). The new Maximas/Altimas, though, this has 'disappeared' into electronic never-never land in combination with that CVT.
    It's not that I don't agree you, at least partially, but the fact of the matter is that Toyota/Lexus has not yet fully solved the FWD transaxle problem even using DBW to delay the onset of engine torque when the accelerator pedal is depressed shortly after a FULL lift-throttle coastdown event.

The other issue is from an emissions startpoint, government, EPA, CARB, regulations. Using the SFI system to cut fuel and thereby reduce engine torque to accommodate these so called safety systems, VSC/Trac/BA/EBD/ABS/etc, was undoubtedly the most inexpensive method of accomplishing that task.

But simply reducing the fuel flow but not closing the throttle to reduce airflow would quite certainly get the attention of those agencies.

But, in your favor, totally, if the issue of engine RPM matching to road speed to reduce engine compression braking in the new Suzuki SX4 with manual transaxle is actually true then clearly a DBW system was required for that.
  • roberts5roberts5 Posts: 34
    Toyota has Bluetooth capabilities on many of its car, just not the Avalon. Why not?
    The 3.5 engine is fantastic in power and gas mileage. I am glad to see Toyota using it also in the Camry, Rav-4, Sienna and Highlander for 2008.
    Not everybody likes having a sunroof, so hopefuuly one day they will offer more solid hardtops.
    Happy Toyotering!
  • ushy66ushy66 Posts: 186
    Since Toyota/Lexus have introduced the Camry, LS and GS platforms with hybrid engines, any idea when that will occur with the Avalon...2008? Thanks
  • zebra5zebra5 Posts: 44
    Today, we visited a dealership and looked at the Avalon. These three things are making us decide to wait for the 2008s.
    1. Standard VSC - safety. Note: it bugs me that in TX I have to "buy up" in trim level, i.e., XLS with packaged VSC & heated seats, just to safeguard my family with VSC. Maybe the economics of offering VSC dictates that practice, or maybe Gulf States Toyota is the culprit - I don't know.
    2. Bluetooth - safety (hands free). Let's do what we can to eradicate dorky wireless earpieces everywhere.
    3. MP3 auxilary - current technology. Thanks, but I can do without the cassette player now. 100 million DAPs sold, but at last check Toyota's flagship sedan can't connect to any of them.

We keep our cars for 10 years. In 5 years, almost every car will have all three, right? So half its life, we would be missing out on some important advancements in safety and technology.

So when is the earliest we will all know what changes are made for 2008?
    See---'SAE Show: Toyota to focus on fuel efficient large cars?'
    Link: link title

J
  • nemeneme Posts: 2
    I'll keep hoping to see the right answer to #43. My Acura lease ends in August, and the answer will determine whether an '08 Avalon will be a "slam dunk" (sorry, couldn't resist) or another good contender.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Really if you like the car none of the things from post #43 are out of the question on the Avalon.

VSC/TRAC is installed on almost all Avalons (at least here in Jersey).

Bluetooth is available aftermarket

Ipod connectivity can be accomplished with an adaptor that Best Buy can install for under $200. I have it on my '06 and it works wonderfully. Charges the I-pod and I can change tracks from the steering wheel. The OEM interfaces just hook up to the headphone jack.

I agree that these features should be standard on the Avalon, but it didn't keep me from buying mine. There really isn't a car (IMO) with the room, ride, power and fuel economy that the Avalon delivers for the price.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• How about a power tilt & telescopic steering wheel -- as has the ES350 and the Cadillac STS?
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    whats the 0 to 60/62mph seconds for the new avalon
    0-60 been tested as low as 6 flat (C&D) most others at about 6.2, quarter 14.5 at 100. Power is not an issue!
  • nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Posts: 27
    That's smoking. Seems like that av-e can keep up with my 6 speed Acura TL. Impressive.

nick
  • ymalluymallu Posts: 1
    Touch-Screen NAV....
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    thanks for the reply. and do u know abt the 2001

0 to 60/ 62mph seconds for the 2001 avalon?

and if u do know, how good is the new avalon from the old 1.

thanks
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    0 to 60 for the previous generation was around 8 seconds. I had an '03 (same as '01) prior to buying my '06 XLS. The 06 is faster and handles a bit better. OTOH the '03 was a tad quieter and I felt it had better seats. The ride is very similar and MPG is better in the '06 even with 70 more HP. All in all I do feel the newer generation is an improvement if for any other reason the 3.5 engine.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• hdcoleyhdcoley Posts: 1
    4 things will determine if I buy another Avalon Limited. Power tilt & telescopic steering wheel, Blue Tooth and a better audio system with MP3 capability. Also a rear backup camera. I have installed all but the steering feature on my Limited and they are great. No hands cell phone, MP3 and backup camera are great and much safer. Get with it Toyota before I go back to an Acura RL.
  • singlemgsinglemg Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2008 Avalon will go on sale?
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Avalon will get a 6 speed transmission like the 2007 V6 Camry now has? It's my understanding that the current Avy does not yet have the 6 speed AT, right? Thanks

J
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Posts: 67
    ushy66-My 2007 Avalon Ltd has a 5 speed. It has worked well for my driving style. I haven't heard anything definite about 2008.
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    I hope the XL gets some additional features available on the higher line models, at no or little additional cost. Specifically, make 17" tires standard for all Avalons and also the laminated sound-deadening windshield glass. Maybe the auto-dimming rearview mirror can be standard for all Avalons as well.
  • burlburl Posts: 40
    Biggest changes appear to be: 6 speed auto
    Braking system upgrade
    new Front bumper design
    New headlight design
    IN KEY REMOTE KEY ENTRY
    Tinted Tail lamps
    MP3 INPUT JACK
    Move rear AvalonLGO
    Few other small 1s

Said to ship in AUGUST +-
    Sounds Early But that is what was said

These are the changes on the Base model only
  • zebra5zebra5 Posts: 44
    You sound "in the know:" I take it this braking system upgrade is different from Vehicle Stability Control?
  • davidinnvdavidinnv Posts: 15
    Not being especially technically savvy, I'm wondering this: If the 2008 Avalon will have MP3 capability, will it also have Bluetooth available?