Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• bangelbangel Posts: 8
    Jessica, Why don't you give Caron your info and see if GM is willing..I bet they aren't...Why not give it a shot. Just stick to your guns about not being charged. If they want to play games and say you have to pay for the part but they will cover the labor or ( Vise Versa ) then say fine you need to buy back and replace all that you have done already. You know as well as I that they really don't care. This is a feel good attempt. We at my job call it being "spun".
    This is what Caron is trained to do. Real customer service would mean they would be willing to say.."Hey Jessica why don't you bring that on in and we'll take care of that for ya..Sorry bout all the rig-a- ma- roll. We just want a happy customer" You KNOW that ain't going to happen...DON'T YOU????
  • grandsacgrandsac Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    It all started a year ago. Intermittent no start. Replaced the ignition switch. Fixed the problem until last week. Replaced the switch again. Fixed the problem for 3 days. I have also cleaned the negative battery lead in the trunk. No help. Replaced the "starter relay" in the main fuse pannel under the hood. No help.

The no start problem was proceeded with a relay chattering under the dash. But if I persisted it would finally start. Twice the car quit running after it started. The quit running was also preceeded by a chattering relay under the dash.

This is not an outside cold weather problem. But I did cut the "white" wire. No help. Now I have the security light lit all the time on the dash.

There is a "run" relay under the dash. Could this be the problem? I am lost at this point and the Ion is dead (Everything turns on but it won't crank) The relay chattering has gone away and nothing happens when I try to start it.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    grandsac,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Posts: 41
    Why would anyone spill time and MONEY turning to a GM dealership for diagnosis? This is a problem going back to when Saturn was still 'alive', they were not interested then, never recognized they had a problem with the ION ignition .... And one thing for sure, cold temperatures are NOT the problem. We have had this problem on some but not all ION's ... one as late as Friday 5/27 and it was 'only' 95 degrees in the air ...
    If GM has the answer, how about a 're-call' to have the ION's repaired once and for all ... We have given up, now down to 5 ION's left (after having had 17 in total), going to the other US brand with vehicles of same size or 'imports' - but no GM Cruize ...
    dozensaturn,

I understand your frustrations with your situation. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above.

• lolo555lolo555 Posts: 5
    Now, my car is also stalling regularly as well as the not starting problem.... I took it to GM and they didnt do anything to fix it.... took it to an independant mechanic and he couldnt figure it out either, so I am just going to trade it in and let it be their problem. This car is a peice of junk and is Not safe to drive. I just got a letter in the mail from GM saying the Power steering may fail on my car while driving too... great!! I will never buy a Saturn or Gm car ever again. They are No help.... There is NO answer for the starting Problem. I have been trying to fix it for 4 years!!! Sell your Saturn Ion's!! You are wasting your time and money.....
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Posts: 41
    edited June 2011
  • We are willing to turn over one of our Saturn's for a diagnostic test - but, ONLY at the expense of GM.
    This is NOT somethng new - it has been reported and known since at least 2005, probably even before. It has been known during the warranty period of the ION's which of course is long gone.
    If this issue is not handled appropriately, it will hurt the ION reputation - no doubt about that. Furthermore, it will tarnished GM's reputation in general due to lack of a quality product.
    Overall the ION's have been good for us, still averaging 25 mpg 80/20 city/highway ... and this is on 6-7 year old vehicles, with at least 12k per vehicle per year.
    In the meantime we keep on unloading our ION's and replacing with NON GM vehicles. We would have considered the Chevy Cruize, but .......
  • laser5081laser5081 Posts: 1
    Caron
    GM service on this problem is a joke The problem has been going on for year is true ..Ibought my car 4 years ago and from 8 weeks in I have had the same problem as everyone else ..I have to wait the 10 minutes in the cold or heat and every time I cross the boarder to canada it never starts if i get sent to into customs ...they made me call a tow truck ... I have owned GMs since 1982 and because of the lack of responsibility taken by GM MY next car and kids car will be "NOT GM"..Tell your people to wake up
    lolo555,

By chance have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    laser5081,

Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance regarding the problems you are experiencing? If so, do you currently have a case number?

Thank you,
    Well Ive spoken with customer service at my local GM and they have not been able to fix this problem. I cant spend any more money on "guess's". I dont think this issue will ever get "taken care of". From what i can see on this site, NO ONE has gotten an answer or an actual fix for this problem from GM???
    lolo555,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set up the case I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you and have a great weekend!
  • nr8nr8 Posts: 1
    My husband was also having trouble starting his 2003 saturn ion. Since we bought it in the winter, we thought that it was a cold start problem. Every morning he went through the same routine with the car - trying to start it - nothing, sometimes just a click, sometimes nothing. He'd give the car a 'break' and then it would start right up like nothing had happened! We had the car looked at, we changed the battery - no one knew what was wrong.

I started reading this forum when it became clear that it was not a cold start problem, and a mechanical one. I made a list of all the different sugesstions and decided to start with the simplest first, which was to not engage the security system by not using the remote lock / unlock. My husband took the bobber off of his key ring and he hasn't had a problem starting the car since! This was 3 weeks ago. However - since it seems like some of the fixes I have seen on here only last for a few weeks . . . . I am reserving judgement on this . . . . let's see if it gets us through the summer and into the winter - then I may start to relax!!

I just want to say that I am disappointed in what I have read as GM's response to this issue. We were at the point where we had already taken the car to our mechanic and we were going to take it to a GM mechanic because we thought that they would be able to solve the issue - after reading the comments on here, it looks like we would have spent a lot of money on something that probably would not have fixed the car. It is too bad that it seems that GM is not doing everything it can to help the owners of these cars fix a problem that is incredibly frustrating to those who have to deal with it.
  • You are so correct, this is not a 'cold start' problem - and it is not the battery (which someone recommended you change) ....
    GM could get out of this embarrising problem simply by recognizing that the problem is there.
    And, by authorize 'by back' of one vehicle that is experiencing this problem, take possession and truly examine it - find the source of the problem, issue proper repair orders, and maybe as a goodwill issue a recall. This will generate goodwill - Saturn owners will shy away from GM
    unless this is properly handled. Saturn did not do it. And, so far GM is not reaching out far enough. I just 'unloaded' one more of our ION's ... replacing it with one from the other US brand that have ION size vehicles.
    Good luck with your 2003 ION.
    I dont even have a remote lock/unlock FOB, so i dont think that this is the problem, but you never know? I am trading my car in on Saturday and am gonna hope that its doesnt stall/not start when the dealership test drives it! I feel bad, but what can i do? I will take whatever $$ i can get for it!! Good luck on your ion!
  • :cry: Similar to other recent stories on here, I also have decided my longtime (3 Saturns over 12 years) affair with Saturn is over. My car (2005 Saturn ION2) suddenly failed to turn over, with the erratic clacks with blinking engine light (while only in "1st" position) followed by inability to turn over or even try. Waiting, then try again. Waiting, then try again. Finally it acts normal -- or grumbles in chitty-chitty bangbang mode when trying.

I couldn't make it to my now default authorized (GM Chevrolet) dealer, who are far away and they didn't have time for me or know what the issue was. Local mechanic befuddled and gave me new battery. Ignition Switch replaced already during same fracas in 2007. Mechanic believes it's the " buss in computer relay center" or "fuse box assembly" (I believe the big BCM) which the part is on national back order.

I see here that may not help, or be the tip of a more expensive iceberg. God I loved this car, but I can't even sell it for value or trade it in. The stabilizer bars keep breaking, the automatic door lock on driver side stopped working, etc etc etc. But the main problem is the no-start: I grow more and more helpless every day.
  • Forgive us for not trusting GM, Caron — but Saturn owners are used to getting screwed.

Care to comment on the tens of thousands of Saturn owners who did report defective transmission problems for years and ultimately won the largest class action settlement in US history against GM? Probably not, considering GM declared bankruptcy 45 days later and told all 200,000 of us in the US and Canada we were on our own to replace or repair a known defective CVT to the tune of $7500.

My dying words will be to never buy a GM — EVER. And I'm still young enough to tell everyone I meet to buy any other car. GM lies and the US government lets them. If this were a Toyota problem, there would be Congressional hearing and GM's CEO of the week would be handed his [non-permissible content removed]. Instead — nothing.

http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp

At least they didn't kill, injury or permanently disable me or a family member. They're not paying victims or survivors either.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/gm-chrysler-bailout-accident-victims_n_- 868079.html?ref=fb&src=sp#sb=682760,b=facebook
    sadsaturnguy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • andrew124andrew124 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Have a 04 saturn ion. the problem im having is getting the key to turn to start the car. you put the key in the ignition and it wont turn but if you wiggle the key and the steering wheel it will turn after a while and you can start the car its just getting the key out of the locked position. Whith all the problems GM has with their cars maybe its time to for them to close their doors for good because as i see my tax dollar bailout of Gm was a waste. I grew up in a GM family my father was GM only no matter what but as for me this problem has caused me to rethink GM's desire for quality and service and i'm changing to ford or dodge. one of GM's motto's is "like a rock" and thats one thing they have right their cars are like a rock sit in one place and have no good use at all.
  • Caron,
    To which address do you want VIN numbers sent?
    Issue: No start, sometimes up to 4 attempt's (ten minutes wait between each attempt) before ION '04 and '05:s will start.
  • Andrew,
    This should be a rather easy one for the GM technicians to respond to, and I would not be surprised if the same issue can be had at Ford, Chrysler or most other brands as well ...
    I know we have had it every now and then (mostly on the ION:s but on the L300's also), and most recently on (our last) '04 ..
    Looking forward to see a general GM recommendation or answer to to overcome this issue.
    andrew124,

Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • dawnclark40dawnclark40 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2004 Saturn ION, Ive had my car for almost 4 years now and every winter I was having the same starting problem....NOW its happening when its 60 degrees out or more. Im sick of the problem. What is more sickening is my father worked and dedicated his to life to GM until he recently retired. Always GM lover, but these days...I just dont know.

Anyway which is it? Do I cut the white wire under the steering column to fix it or do i get a remote start that will fix it? PLEASE HELP. Thanks so much.
    dozensaturn,

If you click on the user name you will be able to find the email address.

Thank you,
  • CUT THE WHITE WIRE!!
    its free and you will not have the problem again
    ive been problem free (1 year!) since i cut it
  • kikibkikib Posts: 14
    My father, too, had a long career for GM, and my son's 2005 Saturn Ion has just about cured us from ever buying a GM car again!
    After several trips to GM dealerships here in Plano, Texas and Ruston, Louisiana where my son goes to college, until today, no one has been able to figure out why my son can't start his car and the key gets stuck in the ignition, or, what is worse, all the power cuts out while he's driving. Finally, I think it's going to be fixed. Last Friday, yet again, he went to start his car, it didn't, and the key got stuck. $90 to tow his car to the Chevrolet dealership in Ruston. $100 more to download computer updates into his car. Yet again the dealership couldn't duplicate the problems. Today, 5 days later after being without his car, the dealership said to come pick up his car and they were sorry they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Lo and behold, my son got in his car at the dealership, and miracle of miracles, the car wouldn't start and the key got stuck, right in the parking lot. The service advisor immediately ran to get the mechanic and after 10 minutes knew it was the Body Control Motion device. Guess what? They have to order it from West Virginia! You would think with so many Saturn Ion owners having these same problems, GM would recall this part. We are going to have to pay $800 to get this fixed. Anyone with this problem, esp power going out while driving, could be seriously injured or killed if this happens while driving. I am grateful the Ruston dealership is going to fix my son's car, but GM needs to take responsibility for it. :sick:
    kikib,

I apologize for the problems your son is experiencing with his vehicle. Have you had the chance to speak with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • kikibkikib Posts: 14
    No, I haven't contacted GM Customer Assistance. Is that something you suggest? How do I do that?
    Also, since I posted, when the dealership was installing the new Body Control Module, they discovered that the fuse box was almost completely burned out and had to order the part from Michigan. $300 more so we're up to a total of about $1300. The dealership told my husband that computer diagnostics didn't indicated the fuse box was almost burned out and that's why they didn't look at it prior to installing the BCM, but I wonder whatever happened to using your actual eyeballs to look under the hood?
    Thank you for any help you can give me.
  • desertcgdesertcg Posts: 1
    Good to know I'm not alone in being incredibly disappointed in GM for their poor quality vehicles and their refusal to take responsibility for them. 2 1/2 years ago my car refused to start. It didn't happen every day though. I would turn the key, nothing would happen. Eventually I learned to wait exactly 10 minutes before trying again. It would always start on the 2nd try. I replaced the ignition relay switch, no more starting problems since then.

Recently, as in the last 3 weeks, my key periodically gets stuck in the ACC position when I turn off the engine. It's never been stuck for longer than a minute. (Thank goodness considering it's 114 in Phoenix right now!) My dad has spoken with a mechanic who thinks the current problem is being caused by my keys being too heavy. His theory (without having actually looked at the car yet) is that the weight of my key chain has screwed up the ignition cylinder. Not sure I buy this theory yet. But based on what I've read from everyone else on here, replacing the cylinder would only be a temporary fix anyway. On another site, someone mentioned replacing the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock solenoid).

Think I'll get the current problem fixed (even if it's only temporary) then sell the car and buy a non-GM vehicle instead.