Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• kaydo31kaydo31 Posts: 1
    sorry to say that it doesnt get better. I own a 06 ion and have had it in the service department for the starting problem almost every month since my odometer reached 7400 miles. In december of 06 it started and hasn't gotten better. they have replaced the starter ignition switch, re-programed the computer, changed the ignition modual, replaced the battery and once told me they found no problem. i bought the car in feb of o6 with 750 miles on it. All I can say is i will never buy another saturn or recommend it to anyone i know. :lemon:
  • willbrenwillbren Posts: 5
    Thank you for the info. I will keep an eye opened for the problem. So far no other problems have occurred, maybe you did get a :lemon:.

Good luck.
    ;)
  • Our 2004 Ion with 37,000 miles has been shutting off while being driven by my wife. We took it to the dealer friday 7/20/07 and they quoted a OPCODE: M5305 replacement of steering column at a cost of $1,137...the service man claims he drove the car and it the electric motor for the steering is the one shutting down. Not as reported by my wife since the engine shuts and the dinger comes on. No warranty and no recall... I can not believe the entire column must be replaced, I totally mistrust the dealer shop. I am inclined to believe it is related to the ignition switch. Does anyone have a helping suggestion or experienced similar?
  • :lemon: I posted it before incorrectly as an engine shut down, however I drove it and it happened, it has taken place while my wife drove it before; the power steering pump shut or stopped working. A warning message displayed "POWER STR." The car has 37,000 miles it is out of warranty and the dealer is asking for $1,300 to replace the steering wheel column. There is not a reservoir for this fluid or instructions regarding how to add fluid. I am out of the Ions and will have to get another car somehow. Any thoughts on this ? :mad: :mad: :mad: ">
  • I have a 2003 Saturn Ion that I bought used last year. It was running great until about 3 months ago when it would randomly decide not to start. It wouldn't matter about the weather or if the car was hot or cold. If I keep trying to start it, it gets less and less juice until nothing happens. Then if I wait about 10 minutes it will finally start. Am I just out of luck with this problem?? And will it get any worse? Also my Saturn while i'm driving it will all the sudden stall out and the RPMs will be really high as I try to keep it going to pull it over while all the lights and dings are going off. That problem has happened 3 times only luckily enough. And the Vehicle Service msg has gone off a couple of times since my Ion has started the problem of not starting. I was going to take it in, especially after that msg came on, but i'm wondering if I should even bother since it doesn't seem like a fixable problem? Any suggestions?? :confuse:
  • this is the first time i have gotten up here. i just found the site because i am having the power steering problems like you are. my car is a 2004 also. it is ridiculous. the saturn dealership here in north carolina says it will cost me $750,"> that his cost was $400..have you had it fixed or did you get another car? i definatly wouldn't have bought this car if i knew it was so costly to repair. my dad has always fixed my vehicles but this electrical stuff sucks.. good luck
  • Rockfish1,

I cant find the Saturn Problems & Solutions #793 forum, can you repost the solutions?

Thank you
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    The Saturn Maintenance & Repair topic is read only, but I am moving the thread about the 2004 Ion starting problem to here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• rockfish1rockfish1 Posts: 113
    joe154, I haven't been on this forum for a while. Glad the HOST was looking out for you. Did the fix help?
  • I have a problem with my daughter in-law's 2003 Saturn ION, but it is not a cold weather problem like most postings. It is not intermittent. The car has been starting fine but she had the SES light on for several weeks. A guy at an auto parts store told my son to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Now it won't start, period. The starter turns over and all indications are normal, but it won't fire. It does not have the security light on the dash on and the security functions work properly with the key remote. I've tried the 30 minute reprogram tricks. Doesn't work. There is no indication that it's the Passlock. Saturn says it must be towed to them for diagnosis. There must be a better way.
  • can anyone tell me how to replace the ignition switch? The dealership here wants $190 to do it, says it's a 2 hour job counting relearning process... I call BS on that so I want to try it myself first.
    Thanks
  • See message # 9 on this thread.
  • I went there but can't find a forum called saturn problems and solutions
  • Host,
    do you know what happen to the Saturn Problems & Solutions thread?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    That discussion was closed as it included all Saturn models, however, I believe the posts with the information you are seeking were moved here. Start with post #25.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I am trying to find a how-to on how to replace the ignition switch, not a how-to on diagnosing the problem.

Thanks!
  • Try this, it worked for me
    Remove the upper steering column bezel. (pull up)
    Rremove the lower left bezel (7mm)
    Remove the ignition switch. (t15 torx IIRC)

Install reverse of removal.
    Replacing either is not terribly difficult to do, but you will need either a 7/32" or 5.5mm nut driver to get the column cover off

To relearn passlock, but you turn the key to start, and release it to run, then wait 10 minutes. Leave like that for 10 mins, do again, then do again. Takes about 30 mins to complete. When 3 cycles complete, turn off car completely for at least 30 seconds. then start car.
  • Changed the passlock and main connector went thru the 3 10 minutes cycles and truck still does not start,truck security light was blinking but has stopped after i changed the items,still will not start help
  • I dont have the torque tool you refer to but I think I have everything else.
    Is the removal of the switch terribly difficult for a novice? I am thinking I might be best off paying someone.. I am somewhat capable of small repairs but this sounds like just above my experience.
  • Since all work is easily visibly on the steering column you should be ok in doing the job. The tool you need is a TORX screwdriver not a torque tool. The driver is inexpensive and is available as an individual tool the 15 size or as part of a set of different sizes.

Pop off the upper cover on the steering column and look at what is underneath. If you know what the ignition switch looks like you can then see if what you need to do to remove and replace it. You can then decide if you want to continue with the next steps.
    If you are uncomfortable about the repair after removing the top cover, pay someone.

Much success and let us know the outcome.
  • Not sure what you changed or what is preventing your Jimmy from starting.

I was successful in resolving the problem of inconsistent starting in a 2004 Saturn Ion which has the passlock II theft deterent system. I found the description of the
    Passlock System as:
    The theft deterrent system has been incorporated into the body control module (BCM). The theft deterrent is provided in order to prevent the vehicle operation if the correct key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The ignition key turns the lock cylinder. The cylinder rotation produces an analog voltage code in the Passlock™ sensor. This voltage code is received by the BCM. The BCM compares the voltage code to the previously learned voltage code. If the codes match, a class 2 message is sent from the BCM to the powertrain control module (PCM)/vehicle control module (VCM). The message enables the fuel injectors.The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the ignition lock cylinder rotates properly by engaging the correct ignition key.

Hope this helps.
  • hello, i have all of the same starting problems as everyone else so is there a solution to it? i have read so many posts but i haven't found a definite fix. i have had this 04 p.o.s for 3 months i bought it used(only 10,000mi) and there is no more warranty and i live in buffalo NY so the winters are cold and extensive. help.
  • Have you tried replacing the ignition switch? That is what did the job for me.
  • coop8coop8 Posts: 1
    Im having a very similiar problem as everbody else. I own a 2006 ion ,i bought it new last winter i had the starting problem (turn the key and nothing ) it stopped in the spring . Two or three weeks ago temps below 32 car will not start ,so i put a charger on it for 10 minutes and it starts. i have 53000 miles ,just changed the battery . Any help would be greatly appricated
  • Ok guys here is my problem. I left my headlights on for all day which in turned killed the battery. I attempted to charge the battery from the (+) fuse rod that sticks from out of the fuse box in located under the hood. When that did not work I took the battery to be charge. I was told that the batter had a sufficient charge to hold start the vehicle, but when I reinstalled the battery everything in the car works with the exception of the radio; and the car will not start. I get this message "POWER STR" can someone please give me some advice on what to do to perhaps save me unnecessary cost before I have my vehicle towed to the dealership sharks.
  • Okay, here goes. We received about 8 inches of snow the last two days, first snow of the season. I pulled the car out of the driveway to finish shoveling the drive and when I parked it on the street I noticed the rear end a little too much in the street. (I hadn't cleaned all of the snow off the car, I didn't want to shovel more than I needed too.) Went to start the car and nothing, checked the ign fuse and the relay, still no start. I have already had the ignition switch replaced under warranty. Luckily my dealership kisses my butt because of all the problems with this first model car. When I would turn the key over all I got was a single "click" sound. Still had the sound the care makes with the key in the ignition and the door open, had radio, lights, etc.... When the tow truck arrived the darn car started. I drove it to a local shop to have them look at it in the morning. I'm thinking after reading all these posts that the starter got wet when I pulled out of the drive way, I hadn't shoveled all the snow from the end of the driveway, and after sitting approximately 45 minutes dried up and started. Or the starter could be going out. I'm just afraid that now that it's starting the shop (which is a really good shop) won't be able to find a problem. Saturn really messed up when they built this one. I'm on a first name basis with most of the employees of my local Saturn dealership, nothing that I'm proud of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sounds like a dead battery to me. That is one of the cheapest and easiest parts to fix. Let us know what the shop found.
  • I am sorta having the same problem it just started after moving to England once the cold weather came before I was in Florida so I ahd no problems but sometimes when we go out ot start the car it won't start at firstsometimes if you wait it will start it is not the battery or the alternator so I am not sure also if I get a jump start the car will start it is to werid so I am not sure what to do
  • Well I guess I have been having the same issues that others are having. It started earlier this summer and now has happened about 4 more times since then. I can drive all day and then decide to stop somewhere and then come back out only to find that the darn thing won't start. Today I had trouble. First I thought the battery but the more I examined the problem I am beginning to think it may be the ignition switch. When it won't start the lights and radio, etc work but it won't turn over. Today I let it sit for about 10 to 15 min and low and behold it started. I have not replaced anything yet. Can someone let me know what they think. I am a woman and I am sure if I go to a shop they may not think I know what I am talking about. Also I do not have a warranty left, 60,000 miles. Thanks for any help.
  • bobkurbobkur Posts: 2
    04 ION 3 33,000 MILES WITH INTERMITTENT NON START PROBLEM.TOOK TO SATURN OF SANTA ROSA AND TOLD IGNITION SWITCH WAS THE PROBLEM. OUT OF WARRANTY BY 5 MONTHS AND COST $205.00 TO REPLACE.DEALER STATED THE ION HAS A PROBLEM WITH IGNITION SWITCH BUT I NEEDED TO PAY FOR REPLACEMENT.CALLED SATURN CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY OFFERED TO REIMBURSE HALF OF COST,BUT STILL WAITING FOR CHECK.MAYBE WE SHOULD THINK OF CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR THIS PROBLEM SINCE SATURN AND THEIR DEALERS KNOW OF THIS PROBLEM.