Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• there was a typo. my email address is pamela.fryer@gmail.com
  • rgiergie Posts: 3
    did GM pick the tab?
  • Christina - I posted the requested information yesterday and am still waiting to hear back from you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    you need to send the info by email, as requested - send to socialmedia@gm.com.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,080
    rgie,
    If you have a case with GM Customer Assistance they will work with you and the dealer, and involve technical assistance as needed to resolve your situation. I cannot guarantee that the bill will be covered; however they would evaluate your situation and look into it for you. I hope this helps!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • now that you have all my information, can you please set me up a case?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    pamela, did you send the info via email? If you did, they will contact you that way to set up a case. That's the way to get started - it's too difficult for the customer service reps to go through all of the posts in all of the GM-related discussions and find info about individual cases & vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Whats the Verdict,,What the best fix,,,,The GM dealer around here they never heard of the issue,LOL. Dont fix,Dont tell is there Motto. This was the first GM product I have bought since 99 because of the Trans issue that me and 1000 more had with the POS 4L60 trans in there Vehicles. I need to fix it because the car only has 100k on it and I WILL NOT sell it to anyone. I just keep preaching not to buy anything GM.
  • Give me some more details when the car doesnt start is the security light on solid or flashing?You probably have a bad ignition switch though.
  • That is a great question, what is the best fix? If you read back (and it appears this problem has been going on for years) most say that it is the ignition relay switch. A $23 part. I brought mine to a recommended mechanic who put a battery in (which I had no clue I needed) and at first thought it needed a new starter. I told him about this blog and after I assume he read it, he decided that I should bring it to the GM dealer. I have an appointment on Saturday, the only problem is b/c it was set up through this site, I have to pay $129 for a diagnostic. which is very frustrating for me b/c I don't have much $ and have already spent $183 putting the battery in. GM did say that we use the $129 towards fixing it. If it only needs a $23 part I don't understand why they don't try putting the ignition relay starter in. This has been going on for 2.5 years and finally this past May it would not start at all. I too, have over 100,000 and I too have never had a GM car and probably never will again. Our local Chevrolet dealer took over when Saturn went out of business and told me they have never heard of this problem, which is very strange considering this particular blog has been discussing this problem for many years already. Makes me wonder why there has been no recall
  • Is the security light on solid or flashing?If so i would try replacing the ignition switch that is the number one repair for that problem on that car.I have replaced so many on those ions for starting concerns.Iam a factory trained saturn tech so i have a lot of expernice with this issue.The 129 you would pay at the gm dealer is a standard diagnoses fee for checking for codes testing the battery etc.If you bring it to them they cant just say oh it needs a ignition switch without testing componets battery seeing what cides you have etc.If yiu really want to have it checked out then your going to have to oay someone to have them check for codes.You will most likely see that your body control module has codes B2960 and or B3033 and there is a bulletine if you have those codes to replace the ignition switch.If you know your battery is good and your security light is on solid or flashing then if it was my car i woukd replace the ignition switch.
  • The only light that ever came on was solid. it was yellow, not red. and when I looked the symbol up in the saturn book that came with the car it said it was something to do with emissions. it was not the lock symbol. I wish I could describe it, but I can't. It was on the top. What does the security light look like? Maybe it is the one I am talking about. And I know I have to pay the $129. I have the appointment this Saturday. And almost everyone on this blog has said the ignition switch
  • Sometimes the car cranks fine,,Turn it off and it makes a clicking sound. Ive put a new battery in it but it doesnt help. If I put a battery charger on it after a few seconds it might crank or it may not. Its doing the same thing the other battery did. Its like it doesnt have enough amps. I know if I take it somewhere they will want to change the battery and then the starter and so on. When It does crank this is NO hesitation in the starter
  • oblio9oblio9 Posts: 19
    Cut the white wire. I did it 2.5 years ago and it has not had a problem starting even once. Not once. Sure the check engine light is one but that doesn't bother me. And what are the odds this is going to have any resale value? None. Yeah it's a hack, and an ugly one. But I haven't been late for work or any of my kids activities since I did it. Save money, save the hassle and just cut the white wire. It doesn't solve everything but if you are one of the many many people whose Saturn wont start on a cold morning, it saves you a ton of frustration. It only takes about 20 minutes to do. And anyone can do it.
  • I wish I knew about cars. When my daughter's friend went on this blog when my car first had the starting problem in the summer of 2009, cutting the wire was recommended, but he did not feel comfortable doing that. Also, I live in Southern California and the cold weather not really an issue. through this blog, a file was set up for me and my car went in to the GM dealership on thursday to be looked at yesterday. I have not heard from them yet. Hopefully, it's the starter ignition switch, the $23 part which will probably at least double in price at the dealers, which is still cheap enough. I hope they fix it because I will not have the use of my other daughter;s car much longer. I never had the key problem, the stalling problem, although once in awhile it felt like t was about to stall, but only did a very few times and then stared right up. I have had the power steering disappear, but each time I started the car after driving wherever without power steering it always came back. All I can say is so other car has ever given me so many problems and I am so over this. There must be something in that saying you get what you pay for :(
  • It is just amazing that GM cannot get a handle on this problem ... or, do they even want to? This is not someting new, has been going on for years. Saturn in TN must have known about it but never acted upon it, and now when it is back with GM, they are at a loss as well. All they can come up with is to advise you to bring the vehicle to a GM dealer, and preferably so when the problem occurs. Keep in mind you have a very short window, maybe 10 minutes, maybe 20 or 30 and then it is pointless to waste time and money at a dealership as they cannot see what caused it. Whatever you do, don't fall in the trap of installing a new battery - that is not the problem! Is it in the starter switch? Who knows ... I have changed the switch, yes it helped in one of our ION's - and at the same time, it did not help in one of the other - so, go figure that out.
    As far as we are concerned, this problem is as much a liability as anything else and iat surely sending signals - stay away from GM products ... our fleet of ION's are gradually exchanged for other makes.
    Good luck to all of you that are continuesly experiencing this problem.
  • Unfortunately for me..... I brought it to a mechanic and he installed a new battery which I did not know I even needed. Cost me $183 and it was there for 3.5 months and he told me last week when I went to have it towed to GM that the battery had been drained and was not starting each time. they had to charge it. I had the car sitting for months at a time in 2007 and when it was started whenever that was it always started right up

I am waiting to hear from GM. The car was towed there on thurs and they were to work on it yesterday. I have not heard from them, which does not make me feel very good. i was hoping they would come up with the ignition relay switch which is what most everyone on here says.
  • When it doesnt start is the security light on solid or flashing?
  • adam271976adam271976 Posts: 10
    edited November 2011
    i have a question for saturntech09..........i have read your posts and eskimomann's posts about this known issue with saturns. 2 weeks ago was my first time ever since i've owned this car brand new in 2003 that ive had this issue. So, i went to my local mechanic and had the iginiton switch replaced. it ran fine until a week ago i noticed i had the same problem again! the mechanic told me i would have to go to the gm dealer here in harrisburg,pa where i live to have the bcm reprogrammed with the switch. well why would it run fine for 2 weeks with the new switch then crap out? anyway, GM dealer did their diagnostic test and found codes P1780 torque redution signal and B3033 security system indicates tamper. I had to pretty much demand to have my bcm reprogrammed even though they said "we found no problems"?? Apparently they "know" about this issue because they wanted to charge me for diagnostic fee $46 and reprogram fee $46 until i made a big stink in front of everybody about this B.S.!! so they only charged me once to try and shut me up in front of other customers. anyway so far after reprogramming the passlock in the bcm this past friday it still works, so far that is! but they told me if it doesnt work, i would need a new bcm in the neighborhood of $300-400?? i said to them the bcm worked fine all these years as well as my car with 191,000 miles on it, why would i have to replace the bcm? So, my question to you is this: Would i have to replace the bcm?? I think they are blowing smoke up my rear arent they? just to make a fast buck off of someone who is totally broke!! could it be the new switch is faulty also? any help would be greatly appreciated other wise i will **** can this car to the first sucker dealer i find and plus i will never ever buy another GM car ever again!!!!!!
    Adam
  • just one more thing to all saturn owners with this known issue that the lousy GM company wont repair for free since it is their screw up!!!! After you finally get the car started, if you start the car every 4 hours it will keep starting fine. but, if you wait longer than 4 hours to start it, you are back to square one! i have been timing this issue very carefully over the last 3 weeks of having this problem.
    i know this sounds weird, but it works! try it.........
  • Adam - You got off cheap. they are charging me $129 for the diagnostic fee and all I wanted was for the to replace the ignition relay switch, b/c according to 38 pages of this blog that's probably what it is. I too am broke and very frustrated. don't know if you've read my postings, but grrrrr, and I used to go and start my car 1/2 before I had to leave for work. if it started I left it on, if not I would go back out in 12, 20, 30, sometimes took up to an hour to start. once it did, it was fine for the day. mine is a 2005 with a little over 100,000 miles on it. I did not hear from the GM dealership on Saturday which worries me. if it was a simple diagnostic they would have called already
  • There is no reason to reflash or reprogram the bcm when replacing the ignition switch all you have to do is relearn the pass lock sensor in the new switch for the bcm this can be done manually with no computers or special tools.I have replaced so many of these switches i have lost count from the first year ion 2003 to the last ion 2007 i have only relearned the new pass lock sensor that is in the new switch.Unless you have some other problem like the new switch is faulty or the bcm is failing etc then there should be no reason to reprogram the bcm.Also bcms can fail at any time there a ticking time bomb i have never been a fan of them because i have had to replace so many of them.Iam not talking about the ion i havent had to replace many of them on the ion.The L model saturn i have had to replace so many of them its crazy.So when it acted up again and would start after the switch was replaced was the security light on solid or flashing?Also your positive that the ignition switch was actually changed and not the ignition cylinder or that the switch wasnt changed at all for some reason?Did he look at the car after he replaced the switch and you came back with the starting concern again without you there watching him?Did you drop the car off to him?
  • I AM DEVASTATED HERE. the GM dealership just called and told me I needed a new starter. $600. After reading 37 ages on this blog, it sounds like I am getting the same thing many of you did. I don't have $600 and the original mechanic who told me to take it to the dealer after reading the blog told me when I brought the car to him at the end of June that it needed a new starter. he wanted $300+. after reading this blog he didn't feel comfortable and didn't feel 100% that it was the starter. I don't know what to do. GM people... can you help me out here? The car is a 2005 Saturn. It is a piece of crap (sorry, but it is) and has over 100,000 on it. And now they want $600 to put a starter in? I asked him about the ignition relay switch that is talked about on here and seems to be the answer to many people's problems (that have the same as me)..... i don't want to have to throw more money out and there is no way I can come up with $600......
  • I AM DEVASTATED HERE. the GM dealership just called and told me I needed a new starter. $600. After reading 37 ages on this blog, it sounds like I am getting the same thing many of you did. I don't have $600 and the original mechanic who told me to take it to the dealer after reading the blog told me when I brought the car to him at the end of June that it needed a new starter. he wanted $300+. after reading this blog he didn't feel comfortable and didn't feel 100% that it was the starter. I don't know what to do. GM people... can you help me out here? The car is a 2005 Saturn. It is a piece of crap (sorry, but it is) and has over 100,000 on it. And now they want $600 to put a starter in? I asked him about the ignition relay switch that is talked about on here and seems to be the answer to many people's problems (that have the same as me)..... i don't want to have to throw more money out and there is no way I can come up with $600......
  • hey saturntech9 I'm sure you probably get bothered with this all the time but my 04 ion redline wont start, the key turns over but it doesnt start. I've had one mechanic switch the battery and check the engine and starter and seems to be fine but when I had my friend look at it he checked the fuse box with this tool that when it touches the fuse the light on the tool goes off and when he put it to the ignition fuse the light would not go off what could it be? also when I turn the key this blinking car lock thing appears on the dash whats that?
  • Get a real test light turn the key to the run position and see if you have power to both sides of the ignition fuse.From the flashing light sounds like the security system kicked in.Most likely a bad ignition switch.Does it start at all now?Have you tried relearning the pass lock sensor to atleast see if it starts?
  • I did have the key turned to the on position and both sides of the fuse would not make the tool light up. and they car wont start up at all..thank god I ran into you before going to a gm dealer!!
  • and how do relearn the pass lock sensor to make it start again?
  • and I forgot to mention that when my car was running it would begin to shake once I passed 20mph+ do you have any idea what the could be?
  • GM people contacted me b/c of this site. I had taken the car to a mechanic, who put in a new battery (which I didn't think I needed) After telling him about this blog, he read it, did more research and told me to take it to the GM dealer. A GM rep contacted me after seeing my posts on here. GM told me as it turns out the part is defective and they would speak to the dealer. I just got called back and b/c I am over the warranty they won't fix it. Doesn't defective mean NO GOOD? Should it matter when a defective part goes bad??? I was also told b/c I never contacted GM when this first started too bad for me. I told them I contacted the Saturn dealer quite a few times with this same complaint and they had never heard of it. Well, apparently it does not matter that I contacted Saturn b/c I never contacted GM. I am SOOO ANGRY. I do not have $600 which is what they want for a new starter. And according to this blog, many people have replaced the starter and still have the same problem. Anybody have any suggestions? I am going to be without a car very soon. If I can't get to work I will loose my job and then what........ How can GM ADMIT THE PART IS DEFECTIVE YET NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT b/c I am over the warranty? ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED