Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    All five passenger vehicles generally put a level of discomfort on the person in the middle of the 2nd row bench

I pretty much concluded the same thing. Draw straws, and whoever loses has to sit on the hump. Back seats seem shaped to optimize comfort for 2. The 3rd sits on a harder surface and an uneven backrest in most cases.

CR-V is actually better than most because it has a flat foor, so at least there is room for your feet.

I basically had to look elsewhere for 3 individual seats in the 2nd row, but I can't mention which vehicle offers that of the off topic police will come and get me. ;)
  • Options
    vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    "CR-V is actually better than most because it has a flat foor, so at least there is room for your feet".
    Acadia too. All SUV has flat floor. You may want to say civic has flat floor.
  • Options
    My Forester hads a big hump there, and the Tribeca I test drove also had a (small) hump.

Let's hope those do become a thing of the past.
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    And before you chime in again juice remember that I lease. No aftermarket 60" 1080p plasma for the rear seat passengers in our SUV.

Ugh-I hate aftermarket electronics. They kill resale value. But- there are some stores that offer lease packages. They install it, and put it all beck when it's time to turn your car in.

Oh I think they will style it with some weirdness like the others. I'm starting to think Honda is trying to go as far as they possibly can with the quirky styling so they can see at what point people will stop buying them. They're probalby laughing at us all. IIRC their foreign market vehicles are much more attractive than what we get here. No?

Hey! Some people like that styling! (though I'm not one of them, everyone has thier oppinions). This is certainly better than the old days when Honda was plain and boring.
  • Options
    This suggests that the market for this brand new model is weaker than expected.

Good. Now Toyota knows they can't come with some half baked vehicle missing features and still have a huge success because of their sterling reputation. They've actually never done this before, but at least now they know.
  • Options
    Not offering a split 3rd row is inexcusable, but a backup cam is standard on Sport and Limited models.

One miss, one hit.

Some friends of mine just picked up a hybrid one, I should check it out next time I see them.
  • Options
    Has anyone have test drive or own this car?
    What will people buy Suzuki XL7 or Mitsubishi Outlander?
    I see these vehicles same, look same, size.
    I was checked XL7 back when I was looking to buy, but didn't test drive.

They look nothing near the same to me. They are totally diffferent cars with totally different sizes. 3rd row in the Outlander is crap. The 3rd in the XL7is pretty decent, better than many in the class, but I'm a bit biased because I hurt my knee getting out.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't like the 2008 Accord's INTERIOR, and dislike the 2009 Pilot EXTERIOR. I typically care little about exterior styling, but the only reason to buy a CUV over a minivan is style pretty much, and the Pilot fails here, for me.

I love the interior in my 2006 Accord, and the exterior is inoffensive, if not exciting. The LEDs are a neat touch though.
  • Options
    We looked at the XL7 at the auto show, but didn't test drive one.

Likes: 7/100 warranty that is fully transferable, price, more modern engine than Equinox gets.

Dislikes: cramped 3rd row, some cheap bits and pieces, unproven reliability history.

My wife liked it, but I didn't. She didn't like it enough to convince me to go for a test drive.

I did test drive the Grand Vitara, though.
  • Options
    Right, but it works both ways. CUV is also a marketing designation so why say something like the CR-V is the best selling CUV when it is actually the best selling SUV? Honda will 100% back me up on that too.

It doesn't matter really- The CR-V is the best selling tall sport utility vehicle in its class- body on frame or unibody. To me, that's a real achievement (Escape is no. 2 or 3) .Also, there aren't many body on framers in that size categpry- only the Xterra and Liberty.
  • Options
    I always thought the CUV designation was made up to pander to people who feel stigmitized driving a vehicle as un-PC as a SUV. You know the "what will my vegan friends think if I showed up to the save-the-Earth concert in my Explorer" crowd.

Oh no! They're catching on!
  • Options
    Yeah- but that's only four people. And it probably wasn't plenty spacious. I still believe the CR-V is a bit small.For the same price I could probably get an Edge.
  • Options
    I prefer Honda's DVD system. It's not as wide, and doesn't block the rear veiw mirror as much.
  • Options
    2 parts to this one-really I don't know why they said GMC Torrent.

1) GMC gets a Vue. 1st I think "I'sn't this overboard with badge engineering? Plus why should GMC have one? But the GMC grille looked nice on the picture, and If they make the two as different as they say, it will be nice.

2) Pontiac loses Torrent. Well- that vehicle wan't what a Pontiac should be, so that's okay. But Everyone has an SUV these days. Pontiac should have a CUV that could compete more with the BMW X5 (since the G8 wants to be a cheap 5 series beater).

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Well,roominess was a bonus in that car because the crv had an adjustable rear seat that offered as much if not more legroom than an accord. Not cramped at all.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I prefer Honda's DVD system. It's not as wide, and doesn't block the rear veiw mirror as much.

You do realize that you cannot see that DVD unit in the Ford in the rear view mirror right? I can't see how the Honda unit is any less vision blocking as they both hang down from the ceiling from roughly the same attachment points. I have no problem seeing out of the rear window of our Explorer with the screen down. Although it is a much better situation in a minivan I have to say.
  • Options
    Big outside, fat, but small inside. It's really nothing special about new Highlander. Same body, just fatter, same ride. I have no idea why even people is buying like this cars. It's boring.
    i can say about Lexus RX. Same body, just fatter, same about MDX, RDX is a smaller product of the MDX., Hyundai Santa FE and Veracruz
    Yea, really, new bodies of SUV and CUV -: CX-9, Tribeca, Acadia, Enclave.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have no idea why even people is buying like this cars. It's boring.

for the same reason people buy the Camry
  • Options
    Oh yeah- that's right. My brother said he took a trip in one and the seat slid really far back.

The CR-V is my second favorite small CUV- second to either the Escape or Libery (but the Liberty makes so much less sense- It just looks better.) The styling of the CR-V is okay looking, but I think it's just a little feminine styled.
  • Options
    You do realize that you cannot see that DVD unit in the Ford in the rear view mirror right? I can't see how the Honda unit is any less vision blocking as they both hang down from the ceiling from roughly the same attachment points. I have no problem seeing out of the rear window of our Explorer with the screen down. Although it is a much better situation in a minivan I have to say.

Still- some hang lower than others, I can't clearly remember how Ford's is since it's been a while since I've seen it, but Honda's doesn't block any part of the mirror at all. I also don't like how wide the actual unit (not the screen, the entire player) is. in the Honda, it's only a little wider than the screen size. It creates less opportunity to bump your head.
  • Options
    Replying to: thegraduate (Dec 21, 2007 2:41 pm)

Oh yeah- that's right. My brother said he took a trip in one and the seat slid really far back.

The CR-V is my second favorite small CUV- second to either the Escape or Libery (but the Liberty makes so much less sense- It just looks better.) The styling of the CR-V is okay looking, but I think it's just a little feminine styled.

It's no more feminine than a Murano or Rogue, to me.

The CR-V's back seat was a selling point for my family. We traded our Gen VI Accord (1998-2002) for it for the EXTRA room it had. There was nothing mini about that mini-SUV/CUV. Well, except the fuel bill relative to its V6 competitors like Escape and Liberty (which are no quicker than the 4-cyl CR-V but do handle heavier towing loads). :)
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I can't clearly remember how Ford's is since it's been a while since I've seen it, but Honda's doesn't block any part of the mirror at all.

I haven't sat in a Pilot with the DVD screen down and looked in the rear view mirror but I find that statement very, very hard to believe. Even in a minivan you still get some blockage out the rear view.

A lot of it depends on the vehicle it's in too. Minivans tend to have higher ceilings and thus keep the screens out of view for the most part. Every SUV and CUV I've looked at had much lower ceilings which put the screen more in view of the driver but not so much that it was dangerous. I'll take the better feature set over the extra half inch or so of rear view any day. Plus the Honda unit (pictured below) costs $300 more than the Ford unit (which seems to be one of the most feature rich and yet lowest priced units out there). You have your preference and I have mine obviously but I hope your's isn't based on an "It's a Honda so it has to be better" POV. ;)

DVD unit in the Pilot:
  • Options
    freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    I may not agree with all of you all the time but maybe we can just this for ONCE,

here's to a spirited '08 and continued health and happiness to all of you and your families...

BTW - I have visions of all of you driving your CUV's around with your little wreaths on the grill complemented with the antlers that go on the door windows and "north pole or bust" bumper stickers... laughing inside...
  • Options
    I haven't sat in a Pilot with the DVD screen down and looked in the rear view mirror but I find that statement very, very hard to believe.

It's true- the DVD screen doesn't block the rearview mirror.

I'll take the better feature set over the extra half inch or so of rear view any day.

How do you know that the Ford's is more feature packed? I mean this is Honda. They always try to have the best features and technology. And it comes standard on certain models of the Pilot, so I'm not sure how it could be more expensive. Plus- I like how narrow that unit is compared to Fords. It's more compact and takes up less space.

You have your preference and I have mine obviously but I hope your's isn't based on an "It's a Honda so it has to be better" POV.

What?! Honda is the best car company in the world! Every other auto maker should bow down-or maybe that was Toyota. :P I'm just kidding. There is nothing special about Honda. I think we can all agree they build decent quality respectable cars, but they aren't anybetter than a GM or Nissan of Ford product. I did say Honda tries to have the best technology out there, but that's what they do. They strive to. That doesn''t mean they are the best. It's simply my oppinion based on some ergonomical observances that I like their DVD system more.
  • Options
    It's no more feminine than a Murano or Rogue, to me.

I dislike the Rogue. It's like they took the Murano a decent looking vehicle (and one that doesn't get discussed much here) and and made it look worse.

I do think the Escape is quicker though, as the CR-V takes over 9 seconds to make it to 60mph. The Liberty might be too. And the Escape V6 mpg isn't that much worse, if at all. When you scoot the seat back in the Honda, you probably lose qute a bit of cargo space, but since it's more than a midsize car trunk, it's still decent space.
  • Options
    You get VW wagon with same cargo space and better fuel economy, plus it's going much quieter inside.
  • Options
    This is not a station wagon thread.

Atexeria kept getting slammed for posting about vans. Why do you get to post about station wagons? It doesn't seem quite fair to me.

Try posting in a station wagon forum.
  • Options
    of course it is, there are people out there convinced the FS/TreX are station wagons instead of CUV's...lol
  • Options
    You get VW wagon with same cargo space and better fuel economy, plus it's going much quieter inside.

Well, they are ridicoulously expensive, reliability isn't that great in VW's, and I don't think MPG is that much better.
  • Options
    I second that. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
    Oh- and drive carefully. I know all of you with your CUVs might think your invincible in the snow,but they're family haulers, not Jeep Wranglers.
  • Options
    2008sle2008sle Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I have a 2008 Acadia SLE, when I tried to hook-up my ipod to AUX. with double ended headphone jack it didn't work, it said it was plugged in and ipod was playing but no volume (volume up on both), do I need to use a USB to headphone plug? Thanks for any help. John
  • Options
    I'll put this politely since it's the holidays,

98 passat wagon 1.8t, owned since new,

145k miles - original turbo & clutch, 3k dino oil changes, daily driven commuter car. Never and I repeat never has left us stranded(even after bouncing off a guard rail after hitting black ice to the tune of $7k & 2 hit & runs while parked) or failed to start. bought for $23k new gls model I think. interior set the new standard at the time, handles, goes fast, comfortable... it's a fantastic car. MAF went & oil return line, other than scheduled maintenance and religious oil changes it's the best car we have ever owned. not one sludge issue and not one coil pack has went

and BTW we've seen low 30's with a 70mph cruise if you pay attention and keep your foot out of it.

I would recommend one to anyone, and yes I have heard there have been issues so we have either been lucky and got a good one or like some things the people who b-t-h loudest are the ones that get heard.
  • Options
    I don't know, but I can suggest to check acadia forum. Just search in the google.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try one of the GMC Acadia discussions. We're comparing crossovers here, not diagnosing electronics problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    jraawernjraawern Member Posts: 4
    Are you kidding? The VW Passat wagon only has 61 cu ft space with middle row flat.The Pilot is 88 cu ft...big difference! VW reliability is terrible.Also in the winter, the Pilot has the clearance.Even the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable wagons have more room (81 cu ft) than your VW--and better reliability.
  • Options
    jraawernjraawern Member Posts: 4
    AWD 4 motion Passats don't get 30 mpg!
  • Options
    Sounds like you've had a good experience, but times have changed a little for Volkswagen. They've been struggling a bit lately. But that's beside my point.

Volkswagens are much more expensive now. A Passat is much more expensive than an Accord. A sport model Jetta is over 28 grand (Civic SI-22g). So I think it's safe to say the Passat wagon now might be a bit pricey. I haven't heard anything about the new models being quick or handling well.

Not to bash any VW owners out there, but I think I would give the advantage to a small CUV. Now that's a different story for the other station wagons out there (very few of them).
  • Options
    2008sle2008sle Member Posts: 3
    geeze, I ask a question and you flame me, but you let the guys go on quibbling about v-dubs, Merry Christmas to you to!
  • Options
    I don't think he was trying to do anything but help you find answers. You likely will find much more help there than here when asking questions such as yours, which is why tidester provided the link
  • Options
    "The 2007 GMC Acadia is among the first production vehicles to feature
    the Johnson Controls Open Seating(TM) technology. When the third row of
    seats is deployed, it offers comfort and styling similar to front- or
    second- row seats. When the third-row seat is stowed, a significant amount
    of cargo- storage capacity is gained."
    GM made best CUV for current time.
    That's why is best vehicle in this class in capacity for passengers and cargo.
    For people who is looking to replace a minivan is a best choice, no matter what MT said. This is a fact. 08' model doesn't have all this problems 07 had. I don't have any problems with this car.
    All story here:
    http://www.cyperus.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-07-2007/0- - 004500902&EDATE=
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    So you're linking us to a summary page likely written by Johnson Controls, telling us how wonderful their own seating equipment is? And then you're drawing a conclusion based on their own propaganda? Come on, I know you like your Acadia, but this is not even a subjective review, it's basically an ad for a third party company.

But since you're using this company to glorify the Acadia, I should point out that Johnson Controls also designs, engineers and manufactures seating and other interior components for:
    Acura, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Chrysler, Citroen, Dacia, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Lancia, Land Rover, Lexus, Maybach, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault Rolls Royce, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Smart, Suzuki, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volvo, VW
  • Options
    I wonder how much $ General Motors pays vad to participate here? The posts are getting more biased than GM's own commercials.

My vehicle's CD Changer is made by Panasonic. Panasonic says they make the best product, and I want the best sound I can get, so my vehicle is the best.

:sick: :lemon: :blush: :surprise: :cry:
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Lol!

Well, Bosch says that my Bosch Platinum spark plugs get more efficient fuel combustion and longer performance life. Thus, MY vehicle is the best, not yours (ha-ha!)
  • Options
    I ask a question and you flame me

No, not a flame. Just pointing you to where you can get answers to your question.

you let the guys go on quibbling about v-dubs

Well, that's kinda the point of a comparison topic! :D

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    you let the guys go on quibbling about v-dubs

Well, that's kinda the point of a comparison topic!

Tidester,

Not to nitpick here, but does the Passat Station Wagon fit this topic? I can see the Tiguan being in here, or the Touareg.
  • Options
    Not to nitpick here, but …

Probably not but but it's certainly a closer fit to a comparison topic than diagnosing electrical problems. Some off topic drift is to be expected but there are limits. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Oh, I agreed about the repair items whole-heartedly, and I defended ya on that one. :)
  • Options
    I'll put this politely since it's the holidays

See, folks, miracles do happen. :D

Just teasing. ;)

A Happy 2008 to everyone here, even the people that don't allow me to talk about my mini---.

CR-V: Honda is getting the last laugh, all the way to the bank as a matter of fact. Did you know Honda actually targeted the "toddler mom", as they call the demographic? It turned out to be a smart move, too. I bet a lot of competitors are wishing they had come up with more feminine designs.
  • Options
    Passat: roomy, upscale, and practical, but a few strikes for someone shopping for an AWD crossover (like us):

* lacks the high seating position
    * 4Motion makes them sort of pricey
    * all models run on premium fuel
    * not much ground clearance
    * sort of long, for parking purposes
    * reliability (?)

OTOH, DSC is probably the best automatic on the market, and the 2.0FSI is a nice powerplant. The 3.6l V6 is also a big improvement over the old V6.

Maybe we'll look at a Tiguan if it's here on time, when are those due? They seem so small, though, basically Golf-sized.

I hope they price it like a CR-V and not like an RD-X, LR3, and X3. VW seems to think it's Audi a lot of the time.