Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion Xb

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    "But you can get a stick shift on the xB and not on the RAV4, so auto mpg may be close, but manual will be better with the xB."

Of course, right now the manual in the xB actually does WORSE than the auto for fuel economy. Same is true in the tC. So there are no guarantees...

;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,436
    Yeah they are are gearing stick shifts way to low these days. Kind of silly. Why should the stick turn 3000 at 60 when the auto is 2300.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    The Element is due for a refresh for 2008. It will be interesting to see what Honda has in store for us.

My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.

The festure content and utility is amazing for what you pay.

I would think that the new 2008 Xb will also attract a broader demographic including the baby boomers because of the increase in size.
  • makana1makana1 Posts: 4
    I own an '05 xB and love it as a commuter, but the noise and the lack of power, cruise, and curtain airbags keep me from making it our main family car. The new '08 seems to address all of these shortcomings.

I looked through this string but didn't find anything on pricing...has anyone heard anything official on pricing?

D
    My bet is $2000 more than the current model. This would put it head to head (actually slightly below) the Element. And would still make it LESS than the tC, and relatively affordable at around $16,5.

• twaintwain Posts: 185
    My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.
    ------------------------------------

I agree. The Xb is now on my radar because of the increases in size and power. It's a viable alternative to the Element now. In fact, it's a viable alternative to all the small crossovers if you're not interested in AWD. If it's priced under 18k it will be a smash hit.

My wife calls the current Xb a clown car. :) Now it's a real car but still unique.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Based on price increases for other new body styles for Toyota I am hoping that the price increase is less than $1000.00. As a matter of fact I will bet you a dollar that the price increase is less than the aforementioned amount.

There is an article in one of the new Auto Mags showing the new Nissan Cube which according to the article will be imported to the US. It is very similar to the 2008 Xb.

Love the competition.
  • milehrmilehr Posts: 2
    I agree with you. Toyota responded to the chorus of idiots, singing "I want this, I want that!” who skipped the part "And want it all for the same money!" Otherwise, they would have gone and bought another model. I own 2006 XB, and enjoy it immensely for what it is. Trust me, I can afford much more expensive car, but every time I look at the current XB, my heart leaps with joy. And similar reaction I get from the other people, who also did a research and knew what they were buying (or would have liked to buy). Toyota had to make those appearance changes for 2008 XB, because with the bigger engine and size, the shape must be more aerodynamic, to retain decent fuel economy. However, by doing that, they lost unique franchise and moved the car into another category, where the competition is much greater. Am I glad that bought my XB in its last year of existence?
  • schreftbschreftb Posts: 7
    I read all kind of stuff about the Xb, but no one addresses the prime reason I am interested.

If my research is right, it has more driver head and leg room than any other car on the market.

Any comments? Write me @schreftb@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Bernie
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Hi Bernie,
    Since this is a message board format, members will respond to your questions here instead of by e-mail. Keeping the conversation public benefits all of our members. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hll7575hll7575 Posts: 13
    I will be looking for a new family vehicle within the next 12 months. So far, I have narrowed down to Honda's CR-V and Fit. With the CR-V, I would consider just the 2wd/LX model with the needed ABS, decent gas mileage, etc. With the Fit, I am primarily looking for super gas mileage and functional interior, but still with ABS. There is roughly $5,000 difference between CR-V and Fit.

Now with the 2008 xB, it looks pretty darn good in all the functional and safety features. Even its gas mileage is similar to CR-V's, I am very sure that its price will be right in the middle between Fit and CR-V. If so, I will be inclined to choose the 2008 xB over either Fit or CR-V.
  • milehrmilehr Posts: 2
    Lol, Bernie.
    Lincoln Navigator has more driver head and leg room, and so do many other models. Read the numbers :-)
    m.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    where did you see the head and leg room numbers for the 2008 xb to compare with the lincoln navigator?
  • mrvfrmrvfr Posts: 6
    The 08 XB dimensions are now very close to the Element and power/engine is in the same ballpark so unless the price jumps dramatically it should be a strong competitor to the Element except where AWD is desired. For me - even living in Minn. I feel AWD is way oversold and FWD is all one needs 99+ % of the time esp. if you have winter wheels/tires. Would expect the TC supercharger will fit too - that'd be a fun vehicle.
  • mrvfrmrvfr Posts: 6
    Checking Scion "future vehicle" here on Edmunds and doing some addition, I get XB vs element: width 69.5 vs 71.5, length 167 vs 169, WB 102 vs. 101 . Both have 2.4L motors - It'll be interesting to see and compare prices. Anyone know when the 08 XB will hit showrooms? June +/- 1 month would be my guess.
    Isn't the Element taller as well.
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    i believe it hits showrooms in april. that is what they did with the fj cruiser also. gives them a longer year to sell them.
  • schreftbschreftb Posts: 7
    I found a big magazine on the newstands called Car & Truck...(something) that shows specs (from mfr.) on every car made. Think it is a monthly or quarterly.

I thought I checked every car's specs for driver leg and headroom because I am 6'3" and 280 lbs. Scion seemed to lead the pack!

Even if I missed the Lincoln Navigator, the XB certainly stands out.

My question is can I believe the numbers re 2008?
  • robt2robt2 Posts: 5
    What about the specs that really matter? Interior dimensions, for example. The original xB had more headroom than the ELement, and extremely generous leg room in the back as well (besides holding one more person). Anyone know how head and leg room in the new xB has compares? In any case, it's got the Element beat in many ways, including more seats and better mileage. Don't your back seat passengers want doors they can open (without assistance from the front) and windows that roll down?
  • l310ccl310cc Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard about the release date and MPG? I think the gas mileage might
    be the one factor that will keep me from buying it and the price. I can live with the
    price if under 17000, but if it gets the same or worse mileage than the tc it will be off my list.
    Too bad because the standard equipment is the best on any car under 20,000. :confuse:
    Yes mileage was my biggest concern. I actually went ahead and bought a stick shift Accord at EPA 26/34. About 5 mpg better than the TC. I looked at Camry as well (and actually would have preferred one - with trac/stability), but stick shift Camrys are very rare, and no dealer I tried could locate one without a sunroof.

I really prefer a hatch, and like the trac/stability, but I do a lot of long distance high speed driving (75 mph limit in SD, and nothing is close) and I feared the boxy shape would be noisy and use a lot of gas - especially with TC gearing.

I certainly gave up some versatility, but I do have a Sienna if I ever need the extra space.

Boy would I love a Camry wagon with a stick - never gonna happen though.
  • rwhrwh Posts: 29
    I test drove a Matrix last weekend and generally liked it. If I bought one it would have the two things the original Scion XB lacked that I refuse to compromise on; cruise control, side impact and side curtain airbags.

I'm not in a huge hurry and would consider the XD as well as the XB, assuming I can get cruise control, traction control, 4 wheel ABS (preferably 4 wheel disk ABS), and all those air bags.

So the choice is, buy an end-of-cycle Matrix or a beginning-of-cycle Scion? And while cost is a factor, 20k for a Matrix or 17-18K for a Scion isn't the major consideration.
  • Well it probably won't matter which car you do choose because it looks like they're both essentially the same car. From what I've read, the XD is a Matrix with a few changes. The sheet metal is a little different as well as the interior. The motor and tranny are straight out of the Matrix but I hope the suspension has been changed to eliminate the front end problems that have plagued the Matrix and Vibe. I would like to see the XD with a sportier suspension.
    I hope they appear on schedule as I'm getting antsy to to take them out for a test drive. I now have an '05 XB auto and it's been a great commuter car but I need more power with comparable fuel economy.
    EXCEPT xD is on the Yaris platform, which means it is very likely that the xD will be smaller and lighter than the Matrix.

• rwhrwh Posts: 29
    I realize this is a Scion XB discussion and have read the postings on the Matrix suspension problems causing problems with tire wear. But maybe this board attracts a more random collection of Toyota/Scion owners.

How serious are those suspension problems on the Matrix? Should a person be wary of purchasing one because of it?

Right now I'm undecided in purchasing the Matrix or waiting for the new Scions.
    the price of the new model: $16,230 base price for the stick, $17180 for the automatic, including destination - an increase of about $1700 over the last 2006 models.

TOLDJA' the price was going to go up a lot!

:sick:

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    While breaking the exclusive! ;)

Here's the real pricing:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007040318137

$15,650 is the starting price. :)

As you were.

DrFill
    I wonder if shipping is the diff between the two prices.
    Yes, it is, and the Doc ought to be more careful what he posts, eh Doc?! ;-)

The number at the bottom of the sticker, the actual asking price, goes up $1620 for the stick and over $1700 for the automatic.

That, and the edgy looks and good fuel economy of the old model go away.

The xB's sales are going to drop, not rise, I think.

The new xD will be a better deal, I think. It gets a better equipment list than the xA, more power from the Corolla 1.8 plus high fuel economy like it had before, and I will bet its price doesn't rise as much as the new xB's.

If Toyota wanted to go head to head with the Element, they accomplished their aim by undercutting it in price, but the xB doesn't offer AWD like Element, and I am not convinced there will be a lot of cross-shopping between the two.

A lot depends on gas mileage. If it gets tC mileage, then I don't really see the point. Cars that gets mpg in the 20's with lots of space are all over the place.

If it gets Camry mpg, then that is another story. 33-34 mpg on the highway with all that space and flexibility would be all alone in this country - until the jetta diesel wagon comes out in a year (less space, but way more efficiency.