Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion Xb

Comments

• The old xB and xA were closer in size and shared the same engine. Even though they looked vastly different, they weren't that different in terms of product. Now, the xD (xA part 2) is slightly wider and has a decent motor. It only makes sense that Toyota enlarged the xB to further differentiate it from the xD.

As for the motor, yeah, I wouldn't mind having the fuel economy and reasonable performance from the 1.8 engine. However, the 2.4 is fine. If I care THAT much about fuel economy, I could just buy an xD or next generation Matrix/Corolla wagon. As for the economy of the xB, if I could get around 30 on the highway and 23-24 in the city, I'd be just fine with that compromise considering the added space and supposed performance.

As for looks, the old xB was a beauty in the eyes of the beholder. I liked it, but let's face it they're boxes. My first priorities are reliability, space, simplicity and low price (probably not far from others). If Toyota can deliver on these promises, I don't care that much about styling. Quirky and ugly are fine, just not Aztek ugly.

If Toyota can keep the price within $1,000 of the old xB, they'll sell every one can make in no time at all.
  • OH NO!!!!

You just used the dreaded "A" word :surprise:

Aztek!!!!!!! :cry:

:P

Killerpiece :shades:
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I agree with you entirely. If your sole criteria is the style or look of the car (fashion) you are not likely to be happy with the car for other reasons, or keep it very long anyway, so why debate all the details? It seems for so many folks the styling is really important, an ultimate factor in the whole experience.

Personally, the styling is way down on my list... Utility, performance/handling, fun, reliability/durability, cost of ownership, special features... these are all attributes that are much more important to me than the "look". Perhaps then, the image the xB portrays is that of fun utility, and not meant to be especially fashionable (who cares as long as it doesn't look like three cars sat on top of each other like an Aztek ;) )?
  • I really like the improved feature content of the 2008 Scion XB. The new styling reminds me of a mini 2007 Chevy Tahoe; especially from the rear/side view.

I really like my 2005 Scion XB for the following reasons:

Great handling, interior room, rear seat room, ABS, traction control, stability control, unique styling, cavernous cargo space with the rear seats down.

However after driving it a while I realized that I missed cruise control, trip computer, exterior temperature, and the car also lacked storage space with the rear seats up. The vehicle also lacked passing power on the highway.

The new XB has addressed all those issues; and most important my wife likes it, so she might let me trade in the 05 to get an 08.

I just hope they keep the pricing in the same price range. I am also concerned about the gas mileage...I can only hope that they tuned down the 2.4 liter to get the same gas mileage as the 1.5 liter, while still taking advantage of the increased torque and power from the larger engine.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    There is no way the 2.4L is going to return the same fuel efficiency as the 1.5L. However, I think its reasonable to expect a dip in overall MPG of about 2 or so, which wouldn't be too bad.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    If they gear it properly, there is no reason it can't get just under camry hwy mpg (more drag) and about the same city. That would put it at 24/33 w/ current EPA procedures. I would accept that. If it gets Tc mpg, then I probably won't consider it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is it gets tC mpg. Look at RAV4 - same engine, heck, might be the same powertrain to save costs. I bet the xB couldn't do much better mpg with the same goods - it has less weight but worse aerodynamics.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

But you can get a stick shift on the xB and not on the RAV4, so auto mpg may be close, but manual will be better with the xB.
  • "... I can only hope that they tuned down the 2.4 liter to get the same gas mileage as the 1.5 liter, while still taking advantage of the increased torque and power from the larger engine."
    After all, there is no reason that 2.4L and 158 HP should not get the same MPG as 1.5L and 103 HP ;-)
    "After all, there is no reason that 2.4L and 158 HP should not get the same MPG as 1.5L and 103 HP"

Very true. The Accord with a 166hp 2.4 gets EPA 24/34 while the Aveo with 103 hp 1.6 liter also gets EPA 24/34. Both with automatics. ;)
    "But you can get a stick shift on the xB and not on the RAV4, so auto mpg may be close, but manual will be better with the xB."

Of course, right now the manual in the xB actually does WORSE than the auto for fuel economy. Same is true in the tC. So there are no guarantees...

;-)

Yeah they are are gearing stick shifts way to low these days. Kind of silly. Why should the stick turn 3000 at 60 when the auto is 2300.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    The Element is due for a refresh for 2008. It will be interesting to see what Honda has in store for us.

My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.

The festure content and utility is amazing for what you pay.

I would think that the new 2008 Xb will also attract a broader demographic including the baby boomers because of the increase in size.
  • makana1makana1 Posts: 4
    I own an '05 xB and love it as a commuter, but the noise and the lack of power, cruise, and curtain airbags keep me from making it our main family car. The new '08 seems to address all of these shortcomings.

I looked through this string but didn't find anything on pricing...has anyone heard anything official on pricing?

D
    My bet is $2000 more than the current model. This would put it head to head (actually slightly below) the Element. And would still make it LESS than the tC, and relatively affordable at around $16,5.

• twaintwain Posts: 185
    My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.
    ------------------------------------

I agree. The Xb is now on my radar because of the increases in size and power. It's a viable alternative to the Element now. In fact, it's a viable alternative to all the small crossovers if you're not interested in AWD. If it's priced under 18k it will be a smash hit.

My wife calls the current Xb a clown car. :) Now it's a real car but still unique.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Based on price increases for other new body styles for Toyota I am hoping that the price increase is less than $1000.00. As a matter of fact I will bet you a dollar that the price increase is less than the aforementioned amount.

There is an article in one of the new Auto Mags showing the new Nissan Cube which according to the article will be imported to the US. It is very similar to the 2008 Xb.

Love the competition.
  • milehrmilehr Posts: 2
    I agree with you. Toyota responded to the chorus of idiots, singing "I want this, I want that!” who skipped the part "And want it all for the same money!" Otherwise, they would have gone and bought another model. I own 2006 XB, and enjoy it immensely for what it is. Trust me, I can afford much more expensive car, but every time I look at the current XB, my heart leaps with joy. And similar reaction I get from the other people, who also did a research and knew what they were buying (or would have liked to buy). Toyota had to make those appearance changes for 2008 XB, because with the bigger engine and size, the shape must be more aerodynamic, to retain decent fuel economy. However, by doing that, they lost unique franchise and moved the car into another category, where the competition is much greater. Am I glad that bought my XB in its last year of existence?
  • schreftbschreftb Posts: 7
    I read all kind of stuff about the Xb, but no one addresses the prime reason I am interested.

If my research is right, it has more driver head and leg room than any other car on the market.

Any comments? Write me @schreftb@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Bernie
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    Hi Bernie,
    Since this is a message board format, members will respond to your questions here instead of by e-mail. Keeping the conversation public benefits all of our members. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.