Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• Options
    wildbillwildbill Member Posts: 12
    I have an 04 EX-auto. On saturday I drove Mpls to Milwaukee and back. Temp was -5 to +15, speed 70-80 mph, average MPG = 23.5 for 600 miles.
  • Options
    crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    Thanks wildbill,

Mine has inched up a bit ... a smidge under 22 on the last tank full ... we'll see if this is just a blip or if the car really is just breaking in like the dealer claims.
  • Options
    ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    dude?? man i'm getting 20 MPG to a gal with my 4.6 liter ford expedition on the highway. But i must confess, i do use a few tricks, fist of all i dont have a lead foot. second i have a K & N washable air filter to replace the factory paper type, these air filters are designed to take in more air, i could really feel and notice the difference on the acceleration and gas mileage. thirdly i keep the tires inflated to around 38 to 40 PSI, and no jack rabbit starts. the K & N air filter gave me 2 to 3 gallons more alone Next i may install an intake kit, i have heard these also do wonders for performance...hope this helps , take care
  • Options
    kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    Very interesting story about K & N washable filter performance... . But is it too good to be true?

I agree with your "over inflated tires and no jack rabbit starts" assessment.

IMO, cruising speed on a highway is a major factor which affects gas mileage.

BTW, my CR-V EX 03 highway gas mileage is 28m/Gal+.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    Interesting, if K&N filter saves money, gas, increase power and mpg, why car companies would not putting these filters to their cars or develop a generic filter with similar specs?

This would be a greatest selling gimmick ever and

would cut maintenance cost of cars (Cleaning of filter might be made professionally in the car shops during service ).

But ... by SOME REASONS they are not jumping on this "band wagon".

Maybe the reason is ... that K&N filter is not as good as advertised?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Had one on my last car, mileage didn't change one bit.

-juice
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I'm impressed with 20 mpg! I have a 2000 Exped 4.6 w/K&N filter, drive moderately, and have never gotten over 15 mpg. Adding the K&N brought it from about 13 mpg to 15. I am going to try higher tire inflation (keep 35 psi now)- should be interesting to see if it increases mileage. Next I'll begin removing seats and interior panels............:)
  • Options
    markiebeefmarkiebeef Member Posts: 8
    2005 crv with 5spd. 25.4 avg with approximately 75 percent highway driving
  • Options
    luisaluisa Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a Limited 2005 Ford Escape on Aug. 29, 2004. I'm the primary driver and I use it in town (Portland OR) -- so far the car has about 3000 miles.

I'm getting 12.5 mpg! I contacted Ford on 1/1/05 and cc'd the letter to the dealer (who had already been notified of the problem, and had told us the car had to be broken in for 10k miles...)

The car's been to the dealer twice and hooked up to the computer as I drove around town. The poor mileage has been confirmed, and the dealer hasn't gotten back to me yet as to what they can do regarding this. I'm appalled by the poor mileage and the absolute lack of responsibility taken by both Ford and the dealer. They basically shrug their shoulders and admit (!) that you don't always get the advertised mileage (18/22). I'm hoping to resolve this matter soon, and am very frustrated. I will never buy Ford again!

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to get Ford to stand behind their product and advertised mileage?

THANKS!
  • Options
    Thank you for the info.

12.5 mpg is way low! (My CR-V got 28m/G+ : mostly highway - long drives).

What is a typical distance you drive on the daily basis? Is it town or highway?

Interesting how your dealer would monitor your fuel consumption?

Please keep us posted how your dealer will handle your problem.
  • Options
    luisaluisa Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kizhe

I drive about 15-25 miles a day around town. Fairly short trips: taking my son to preschool, going to work, running errands, etc.

The dealer can hook up a computer to the car to confirm that the mileage on my car's computer coincides with his computer's numbers. We've taken the car in twice and twice it was confirmed that our car's computer is tracking the mileage correctly. I'm still waiting on an email I sent the dealer two days ago, and am just about to call the customer service rep to get some sort of answer/time frame on what type of action they'll take.
  • Options
    12.5mpg sound really low, even when you account for extreme cold.

-juice
  • Options
    denalimandenaliman Member Posts: 16
    12.5 mpg. Something is definately wrong!

I have an 04 Yukon Denali with the 6.0 liter engine that weighs almost 3 tons and I get better mpg than that. I'm averaging 13.5 in the city and maybe 15 on long freeway trips.

My mileage was night that different when I first got the truck. What break in period???
  • Options
    I trust dealer (of course) with his computer hookup, but it would be interesting to make a direct "independent" mileage check:

1. Top of your tank and log odometer reading ( or put to "0" trip-odometer - if so equipped).

2. Note how many miles were driven at next gas fill (top of your tank again)

3. Divide Miles driven/Gallons refilled.

I assume that your odometer is producing correct readings. BTW - you might check your odometer too - say, by using another car - but it is not likely: ( speed, odometer, trip computer and mileage computer are all using the same data anyway).

My CR-V is not equipped with mileage computer.

But my another car Volvo have a trip and mileage computer. Several times I checked computer mileage and compared it with "independent mileage check" and there WAS a discrepancy (computer gave smaller numbers).

For example, computer gave 21-22 m/G while "independent mileage check" gave 25-27 m/gal.

I did that check several times (at the same gas station) and took an average result ( Estimated accuracy 5%).

I am more disposed to trust "independent check"

(averaged by several tests) rather than computer.

In other words, if you had a 250 mile trip and used 10 Gallons for it, your gas mileage would be 25 m/Gal no matter what your computer say. :-) right?
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "They basically shrug their shoulders and admit (!) that you don't always get the advertised mileage (18/22). I'm hoping to resolve this matter soon, and am very frustrated. I will never buy Ford again!

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to get Ford to stand behind their product and advertised"

The fine print on the EPA mileage says that they are listed for comparison purposes, and that acutal mileage may vary. So Ford isn't under any legal obligation to give higher MPG, or take the car back, etc. The computer check merely verified that there was no problem with the trip computer on the Escape.

Is your Escape a 4WD model? They get less mileage. Also, a vehicle needs to warm up to get the best mileage; short trips will kill MPG even on the Toyota Prius.

BTW, I own a 2003 CR-V EX AT. I get about 21 in town, 26+ on the Interstate (75 MPH), and about 23 mixed. In town mileage is hard on the CR-V as well. It takes a lot of gas to get 3300 lbs moving from a standing start...
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    luisa, you sure don't drive a lot of miles. 600 a month? what did you drive before, and what kind of mileage did you get?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Luisa:

Not that this will help but when CR’s did their Fuel Economy by category spread last year, city FE was actually atrocious in just about everything tested so a very low mile commute/trip around town could very easily take an Escape down to the 10 - 12 mpg range year round … With the cold temperatures as of late, I am surprised you are receiving even that! These FE numbers were achieved in very controlled testing by CR’s staffers and it was done in warmer temps than you are probably experiencing right now.

http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerreports/article/fuel_efficient_car- s_category.html

Ford Escape XLT (V6)

CR Overall: 17 mpg

City: 12 mpg

Highway: 24 mpg

150 Mile Trip: 21 mpg

Until you get it out on the highway and drive at 55 - 60 mph without stomping on it because you are pissed off, you can blame the world. After a 100 mile drive, tell us what you are receiving. In the real world, most are receiving far less then EPA estimates and in the city in particular. Just take a look at the entire list of automobiles as linked to see real world actuals. Driving 15 - 25 miles a day doesn’t really describe your driving cycle by all accounts. What is your average trip distance and time between? You can go back and forth to day care 2X’s a day over 8 hours and knock out 15 - 20 miles in stop and go city traffic. With that, 10 - 12 mpg would seem to be about right given what CR’s is estimating an average driver would receive in a std. city test cycle in warmer temps.

Now after you get that 100 mile trip out of the way and you find that you received 25 mpg, then I believe I can help your around town FE tremendously. With what you have posted so far, I am not sure if it’s you or the truck? If I were a gambling man, I would say its you but I would be guessing …

03 Ford Ranger P/U: http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/details.php?cid=380

I also forgot to ask if you are driving the I4 or the V6?

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi xcel:

just want to thanks you...

the other day, I was trying out your hypermiler suggestions....and was just cruising along...and past a speed trap with 2 cops sitting in wait...normally I go about 50+ in that 40 mph zone...but I was only going about 35...so no ticket !!! Another plus with hypermiling is less tickets....

:-)
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Highender:

You can send me the proceeds not spent on the ticket in small unmarked bills ;-)

Good Luck and I hope your FE has indeed gone through the roof!

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    regarding luisa's escape, i think it is a v6 since it that's the rating for the '05's. my wife has an '04 v6 which is rated 18-23.

i was hoping to brag about my latest tank of gas in the focus, but got caught in a traffic jam(2 miles in half an hour). my best gas saving technique would have been to check the traffic cameras on one of the tv web sites before leaving work.

maybe highender will send you some kk's. :)
  • Options
    Just curious about what you think then since the new Viper and prior Mustang Cobra Rs came from the factory with K&N filters. Would you used it then?

ksuwildcat001, "K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?" #733, 28 Jul 2004 6:14 pm
  • Options
    I'M Gonna ask click and clack about K & N's Filters. All I can tell you is when I installed one on my Expedition 4.6L it made a heck of a whoosh sound, and the Throttle was very responsive, compared to the factory filter which after running the K & N seemed to be choked down with the old paper type that would get dirty every 10,000 miles and rob me of performance, I love the K & N. that whoosh sound is so cool, also the auto parts store had a demo with a ping pong ball using a K & N and a regular paper air filter, the K & N shot the dang ping pong ball up like crazy, you could even put your handin front of the air inlet and the ping pong ball still stayed way up, with the paper type the ball sank way down and dropped
  • Options
    fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    This is a repeat on this subject, but I thought I might post again anyway.

Both my previous 2003 and now 2004 Expedition show the actual miles traveled some 2.0 to 2.5% low versus the mile markers on various interstates. Tire wear will of course lower the above some, but still 2.5% off when tires are new is a lot. Seemed to be 2.0 to 2.5% off for both the trip and the regular total miles reading on the above Expeditions. However, the MPH shown seems right on due to time of 60 seconds to travel an interstate mile at steady 60 MPH. (this one if difficult to test due to traffic, curves, lane changes) Have not asked dealer about any calibration. Need a good GPS to test further.

I'm assuming due to general USA surveying and civil engineering standards that the interstate mile markers I'm relying on are very accurately placed. I used a 10 mile flat straight stretch of interstate for testing the odometers several times in several Southern states. Sometimes an exit is right in the way of a certain mile marker's normal placement, but the next one is usually in its proper location. I never start or end my 10 miles right by an exit.

My 2.5%+ adjusted mpg for 2004 Expedition, 4wd has been a very steady 15.2 in winter and 16.2 in summer in mostly suburban driving, limited stop and go. Around 12-14 mpg light load bassboat towing on interstate. Easy 18 mpg non-towing on Tennessee interstates even with moderate load of people and gear. 18.5 to 19 in SC and Florida due to flat terrain.

What are the mpg numbers for 2005 Exp with 5.4L 3V? 2wd? 4wd?
  • Options
    from what i understand they get about 1 or 2 miles more on the 2005 with the 300HP
  • Options
    HI explorer:

how goes it..? I 've been using some of the hi milers techniques....gained some increase in mileage...though still go pedal to the metal once in a while...

this dozen Krispy 'Kreme is on me... enjoy !!
  • Options
    Hi xcel:

the small unmarked non- sequential bills are in a suitcase under the old sequoia tree near the Yosemite Park , bridaveil falls. Also, have a dozen Krispy Kremes on me.....enjoy !!!! :-)
  • Options
    cajunjoe99cajunjoe99 Member Posts: 1
    I also get only 11 - 12 miles per gallon...During recent snow in Medford,MA i got only 9 miles per gallon while in and out of 4 wheel drive .... Did You find out why the lousey mileage ?????
  • Options
    wxman6wxman6 Member Posts: 15
    Just bought it two weeks ago. On our second full tank last week we got 23.6 MPG, with approximately 80% highway/20%city driving, with temperatures ranging from teens to 30s. Not bad compared to others posted here.
  • Options
    crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    Hi folks,

Thought this might be useful info for new CRV owners ...

The break in period and/or cold weather sensitivity are real issues for the CRV.

I bought a 2005 CRV LX 2WD in December. I was worried because I was barely getting 20MPG from mostly highway driving at first. In mixed highway/city it actually dropped below 20MPG.

However, the weather here in Michigan has warmed up (40 daytime / 25 at night, versus 10-15 daytime, 0 to -5 at night in December)AND the car now has about 2500 miles on it.

I'm now getting about 22.5 city and right around 26 on the highway (and that's hauling a few hundred pounds of cargo).

I'm guessing I'll get close to the 23/29 EPA when the weather becomes nice in the spring.
  • Options
    My CR-V didn't reach full mileage until about 4000 miles.
  • Options
    smokescreensmokescreen Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99 Expy 4.6 Liter with free flowing muffler and the belt driven fans converted to electric. I do mixed driving and get about 16.5 normally. highway trips yeild about 18.8. Overall igh of 19.7 (all highway @ 75mph) low of 13.5 (week of new muffler.. foot in gas to hear the new sounds ) My Expy has 79k miles and has been all synthetic since 40K. All my driving is in flat Florida.
  • Options
    rbarilerbarile Member Posts: 5
    Luisa: I live in New England area and I bought a 2005 escape Limited for my wife last June. I am experiencing the same poor fuel economy as you are. Terrible city mileage, better highway. I have 5500 miles on my vehicle. My wife is the primary driver and she does a lot of city driving similar to you driving habits.

I am dissapointed too. I called the dealer and he offered to check the mileage, but I think I'm waisting my time. Also, if you are judging your mileage by the computer readout, it may be misleading. That number is the average which accounts for being in stopped traffic. A more accurate value would be a trip through a town at about say 35 mph and few lites.

The only irritating thing about my wife's Escape is that the ignition key jams occasionally, as if the key is the wrong one. Do you have the same problem?
  • Options
    smokescreen-

I have the same vehicle (a 2000) w/4.6, K & N filter but no low-restriction exhaust. I'm curious- how much did the exhaust and especially the electric fan increase your mileage (I get 14 mixed summer/12 mixed winter)? How much did the fan kit cost; do you think it was worth it? I have 40K and am considering a switch to sythentic oil as well- do you feel that helped mileage much? I'm ready to try more improvements as I also tow and the mileage is bad.
  • Options
    smokescreensmokescreen Member Posts: 8
    I actually did the mods to increase HP and throttle response, but I would say that overall mileage went up about 2 mpg for the combination. Most difference is on the highway.

The electric fans were about $300 for the kit (I think) and I installed them myself. I like them since they are temp. driven and are completely off any time I'm going over about 30mph since the airflow over the radiatior at the speed is adequate for cooling. They do turn on anytime the AC is running. I don't think they will ever pay for themselves, but I like having 10lbs less spinning weight on the motor.

I would say go synthetic if you do your own oil. Buy it on sale and get for $4 a quart. There is not really and down side to synthetic oil (unless you have a leaky engine).
  • Options
    Thanks for the info- I'm def. going to try synthetic and probably a Flowmaster or similar low-restriction exhaust. I do my own oil; and for good reason: I recently had new tires & alignment done, they also changed the oil by mistake (I had just done it 500 mi previous)- they used the wrong grade (10-30) and put in only 5 qts, not six. The name of the shop will remain anomymous to protect the guilty!
  • Options
    cpickcpick Member Posts: 21
    New CRV SE with 5sp Auto:

Tank 1 - 25.6 mpg 70% highway
    Tank 2 - 26.7. mpg All highway but over 7000 vertical feet up to Donner Summit (Tahoe) and load and down, ordinary driving style, mostly 70 up and down the hill.

Very happy with this start.
  • Options
    jbates99jbates99 Member Posts: 9
    hi folks,

Here are the stats:
    99 Pathfinder, 2WD, 3.3 L engine, automatic
    60K miles

If all highway, my best was 21 MPG
    Combination city + some highway = 17.5 MPG

But I drive conservatively - Why blast away from a stop light when the next one will surely stop you :)

Keeping the tires properly inflated (I use 30 to 32 pounds) helps gas mileage alot.

I would like to hear what other 1999 Pathfinders
    are getting.

Thanks, John
  • Options
    cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    '04 CR-V EX, bought one year ago, almost to the day.

11,250.1 miles
    540.9 gallons of gas
    20.8 miles per gallon

Tires inflated to 32 PSI; probably a 30% higway and 70% city (actually, suburban) driving.

As a comparision, here are the numbers for our '04 Sienna LE, bought in Nov. of 2003.

13,532.6 miles
    634.9 gallons
    21.3 miles per gallon

We use the Sienna for commuting and so we have more highway miles in there, but it's also a five-person carpool, and a 6-cyl. engine.

Best recorded mileage for both vehicles - a trip to Tennessee my wife took in the CR-V and a trip to and around New England we took in the Sienna - is the same: 25.9 mpg.
  • Options
    Wow, the van is slightly more efficient? Aerodynamics maybe?

EPA tests are done on a dyno and do not account for a boxy SUV shape.

-juice
  • Options
    thirsty454thirsty454 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!
    1997 3/4 ton suburban, 454, 410 gears, 12 mpg forward, backward, sideways...looking for best ways to improve my mileage w/ least cash. Already thinking K & N and chipping it - Any success stories out there?????

Thx, Dave.
  • Options
    Trade her in for a Duramax. :o)

-juice
  • Options
    " 1997 3/4 ton suburban, 454, 410 gears, 12 mpg forward, backward, sideways...looking for best ways to improve my mileage w/ least cash. Already thinking K & N and chipping it - Any success stories out there?????"

What is that, 8 liters???? That has a 4 barrel carb, right? It is designed for performance and towing, and I doubt that anything will help.
  • Options
    I agree with stevedebi and ateixiera...

getting a diesel will help .... Banks Engineering has many modification kits for trucks.

I have a 1999 5.7 liter V8 suburban....fitted with a Whipple supercharger and K&N filter..and new electronic fuel injection module....I still get 12 - 14 mpg local....but can get up to 17 mpg on freeways...

these engines were designed for heavy hauling .... and thus use more gas...they also weigh more...
  • Options
    rip out the interior! :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My 2000 Suburban w/ 5.3 gets about 13.5 around town & 15 on the hwy. I'd like to think the hwy mileage would be better, but it never is.

My 01 Pathfinder gets about 16 in town and 17.5 on the hwy @ 75mph.
  • Options
    try going conservatively ...

use some of the tactics of the hypermilers....

... a few weeks ago one poster here shared with me his tactics...and they do really improve mpg
  • Options
    markiebeefmarkiebeef Member Posts: 8
    my 05 honda crv gets 23 mpg average.
  • Options
    I just went 12 hours on the road with the cayenne.....and got from 19 mpg going nice and slow....70 mph.....

to about 15.8 mpg when going about 90 mph...but just for short bursts when no other cars in sight.
This discussion has been closed.