Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    John- From Georgia to Iowa, Nebraska & Kansas and back. Boy you sure know how to plan a scenic itinerary ;-) Hope you had a lot of books on tape.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    rochcom makes a good point, one that juice has made before. At least in the case of the WRX, off-boost performance - at least in theory - basically gives you a fairly efficient little 2.0L commuter car that turns up the burners just when you want or need it to. I can't speak from experience, nor can I find much to back up that speculation. Too many people are grumbling about turbo lag to discuss how the WRX is as a liveable daily driver.

Ed
  • Options
    cat_and_bearcat_and_bear Member Posts: 67
    I have one Supra Twin Turbo. No problem or whatever with the turbos for the past few years and they still run as strong as new. Just make sure you do not push the turbine when it's cold and give it enough cool down period before turning off the engine.

I am not sure if it is a good idea to add in lo range gear to a turbo forester. The turbo will not kick in until 4000rpm. The car will not have too much torque at the low range. Actually I even do not feel adding a turbo to Forester is the best thing to do... twin turbo will be a much better idea. WRX Wagon is still a better choice. Not even mention it has a big mod potential...

-bear
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I have had two turbos( an ASC McLaren turbo Grand Prix coupe, a Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Coupe) and one supercharged (Pontiac GTP) and one thing you have to do is be very mindful of the maintenance schedule and ESPECIALLY change the oil and filter at no more than three thousand mile intervals.
    Otherwise what has been stated above is for the most part true.
    Gene
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    One other benefit for a turbo is if you drive at high altitudes. A turbo can conpensate for the lower ambient air pressure and keep power up. NA engines don't have that benefit, obviously.

Ken
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    Does anyone have any hard statistics identifying the states in which the most Forester are sold?
    Just wondering. It's been a slow afternoon here at work.
  • Options
    kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Bear, You are probably right that in lo gear (and probably in general off road) turbo would be of no great use. The advantage comes in when you get off the dirt road and get on the twisty highway. That would be the X for the Crossover.
  • Options
    Just want to let everybody know that the new Forester has been the comptact SUV sales No.1 in Japan three months straight. It outsells Honda's CRV there.

One more thing about the turbo. Turbo engine has a lower compression ratio. It has less torque than a NA engine before the boost comes. The car will not behave like a 2.0L NA commuter car at low rpms. It is not a VTEC.

As for the sales numbers go, I know Carr in Oregon is the No.1 dealer in the states. Stevens Creek is No.3. Van Bortel in NY is No.5.

-bear
  • Options
    Tom,

I am wondering if Subaru will ever put a second low pressure turbo to Forester then this will definitely make it a killer car. H6 engine may be too heavy for the car so a sequential twin turbo 2.0L or 2.2L will be the best solution. well... keep dreaming. :)

-bear
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I'm not so sure about the H6 being too heavy. Remember, it's only about an inch longer and 90lbs more than the H4 .

What's holding back the H6 in the Forester is probably a combination of emissions and cost.

Ken
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A new engine plant in Indiana has just come on line (or is about to), which will give Subaru much more flexibility in terms of what engine to use in any given model. The main reason for the H-6 being limited to just the Outback, was due to Subaru's inability to build more engines. That problem should be over shortly.

Bob
  • Options
    glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    We picked up two cracks in our windshield before taking it to the dealer to have it replaced. We had an unheated one installed for $265.00 out the door. We didn't bother with our insurance. We are in Ohio by the way. Good luck finding a better price.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The turbo has sold well in australia for several years. Reliability has never been mentioned as an issue here on Subaru Turbos, even when used on Police Pursuit cars. Interesting point though that they are not sold with the Dual Range transmission fitted to other Foresters. The torque curve is not appropriate for serious off roading. Much better for highways and fast dirt/mud

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If I'm not mistaken, nowhere does Subaru sell turbos with the dual-range tranny. AFAIK, the 5-speed dual-range tranny is only available on normally aspirated Subarus.

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    is correct, no dual-range w/turbos outside the US.

Funy thing is that the PT 4wd over here w/Hi-Lo range had 1.8Ts

-mike
  • Options
    kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Interesting... Never would've thought the combo doesn't jive well. Thinking of torque and power curves: I was trying to look on the net for graphs of the 2.5L engine but no luck. Anyone has a good link/page that shows the graphs for torque/hp??
  • Options
    Mike

PT's 1.8 turbo has a low pressure turbo which kicks in very early. It is alright to fit it into the low range system. Same for VW/Audi's 1.8T if they choose to do so.

-bear
  • Options
    Yep, also the 4wd portion of those units was only used offroad, which the rest of the line had 1.8l engines Non-turbo anyway. Basically they were 2 engines the same except one had a turbo and the other didn't both had hi-low range on PT 4wd systems.

-mike
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I remember seeing a curve for the older DOHC Forester Engine. If I rcall correctly, there is 85% of maximum from about 1800 to 4800 RPM. The SOHC engine supposedly brings it on sooner. Note that the WRX uses the 2.0 L DOHC. The DOHC engines are interference types. If the timing belt breaks, so does the engine.
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    I had a Mercury Cougar window replaced back in October 2001 in Atlanta, GA and found that calling SafeLite got me a pretty low quote for aftermarket glass (NOT OEM). I then called Glass Doctor (in Norcross???) and asked for their OEM pricing. It was, of course, more, but I mentioned the SafeLite price for a non-OEM piece of glass. Glass Doctor gave me the OEM glass at that price (Ford logo and everything). Saved me $500 off the OEM price, and I got the OEM glass.

Might try that for the Subaru windshield. Ya never know.
  • Options
    cork2wincork2win Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I just bought my 1999 Forester on Saturday, and am happy except for one thing I noticed. Seems the Door Ajar light doesn't go off all the time. This weekend, on several occasions, I had to go around the car and try closing all the doors again and again before the light would go out. The doors all closed fine, just seems like the computer isn't sensing them properly? Is this a "known issue" of any sort, or do I need to talk to my dealer?
  • Options
    a stuck plunger in one of the doors. I'd have the dealer check it out it may need to be greased.

-mike
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    In terms of Subarus per capita, I'd guess it's Colorado, maybe Utah. In terms of absolute sales number, my guess will be California -- just by sheer size of population and high popularity of Subies, especially in Northern Cal.
  • Options
    peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    Door ajar: is the rear hatch the problem? It takes a good toss to get it to latch fully; with a gentle drop it may look like its closed, but the car knows better...or such is the case with mine.

SubaStates? I've never been to Colorado (hope to someday), but Vermont is simply swarming with Subarus. Seriously, you cross the border from Upstate NY and instantly the roads become narrow, houses become quaint, and the big SUVs all become Subarus. Aside from that, Vermont is just plain wierd.
    YetAnotherDave
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Side note: the PT Cruiser turbo is supposed to cost $26k. Ouch, they start under $17k, that's a big markup!

I'd like to see the 217hp in the Forester XS Premium, at least, for about the same money, maybe $300 more.

But a 2.5l LPT would be even better. I'd be willing to pay an extra grand for that.

Especially when you consider it could be "chipped" to produce serious power. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    You'll know if the door ajar problem is coming from the trunk, because the rear dome light will stay on as well as the main, center dome light.

If it's one of the four doors, then only the main dome light will be on.

(This is assuming that both lights are set to the "Auto" position.)

- - Elliot
  • Options
    Well, I am excited to say that I have joined the ranks of the lucky 2003 Forester owners! I beat up several Subaru dealers until one gave me the trade-in value for my '99 Forester L that I thought I deserved. And then I negotiated the price on the new one for only $500 over invoice.

I got the loaded-to-the-hilt XS Premium with leather, with packages 1, 2, and 3 plus premium sound package 2, for a total sticker of $27,310 and I paid only $25,097! They had one on the lot with 1.4 miles with every feature I wanted in the color I wanted - Platinum Silver Metallic (looks great with the dark gray bar across the trunk, C pillar, and mirrors). After all that, I even got them to throw in a side cargo net and wheel locks, too!

Let me just say for all you lurkers out there, this is a wonderful car. Having driven a '99 Forester for the last 3 1/2 years, the improvements are obvious. Nothing inside or outside the car hasn't been tweaked in some way, whether functional or cosmetic. Despite being the same powertrain, it still felt smoother, peppier, and quieter.

I can list only 2 minor complaints for things I liked better in my '99:

1. The coin tray is now smaller and is too narrow to fit my coin dispenser. (Boo hoo. The armrest extension is now much larger, and it fit fine inside there. I actually like it better there!)

2. The tub that fits inside the spare tire that is handy for filling with ice and such is now divided into two halfs, so you can't fit anything large in it. I had stored a small air compressor in that space, and now it doesn't fit. (Solution - I never used the tub anyway, so I took it out. Problem solved.)

That's it. Those are the worst complaints I could come up with. I LOVE this car.

For those of you that are interested, below is a list of differences/improvements between my 1999 L and my new loaded 2003 XS Premium. In case you're wondering, I didn't type this list in just for your reading enjoyment, rather this is the list I made to quantify the vast number of changes so I could convince me wife to let me trade in my '99 for it!! It worked, so might I suggest you use this as a template to do the same to your significant others? :)

1999 L vs. loaded 2003 XS Premium; in no particular order:
    1. Heated seats
    2. Heated mirrors and wiper defroster
    3. 6 disc changer; Weather band radio, 12 FM presets on radio
    4. Improved audio quality (speakers are better)
    5. Automatic climate control
    6. Cupholders in center console
    7. Interval rear wiper; Variable interval on front wipers
    8. Seatback map pockets
    9. Improved drag coefficient (better fuel economy; less wind noise)
    10. Larger front brakes; Rear disc brakes (improved stopping and feel; less fade)
    11. Increased seat travel, height adjustment, bolstering and lateral support
    12. Seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters; active headrest anti-whiplash system
    13. Dual mode trip odometer (A & B settings); trip and lifetime odometer both visible
    14. Larger back seat with much more toe room
    15. Center 3-point seat belt and headrest
    16. Leather seats
    17. Slightly larger cargo capacity & greater clearance under cargo cover
    18. LATCH/ ISO-FIX anchors for front-facing child seats
    19. Vanity mirrors in both visors
    20. HUGE sunroof
    21. Antennae built into window
    22. No annoying slats and ripples in roof (MUCH easier to wash and wax)
    23. Side head and chest airbags; front 2nd generation dual-stage airbags
    24. Stiffer, lighter hydroformed chassis (better crashworthyness & fuel economy)
    25. Illuminated ignition key socket
    26. Illuminated power window controls in all 4 seats
    27. Daytime running lights
    28. Oversized side mirrors
    29. Security system pleasant beep instead of loud chirp; all doors open with double-click
    30. Quieter tires and improved sound isolation
    31. Upgraded aluminum wheels
    32. Leather-trimmed steering wheel - soft and comfortable to hold
    33. Padded armrests on doors
    34. Increased leg room in front seats
    35. Air filtration system
    36. Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD) - shorter, safer stops
    37. Rear limited slip differential - improved AWD performance
    38. Remote fuel filler door

- - Elliot
  • Options
    I noticed that when using ACC on Outback LL Bean, it always forced the "intake" vs "recirc" mode on A/C. I hate the "intake" mode. In Bay Area traffic, it always sucks in exhaust fumes from other cars. I always run A/C on "recirc". I wonder if ACC on 2003 Forester XS also switches to "intake" no matter what.
  • Options
    I gotta agree with YetAnotherDave, New England in general and Vermont in particular are swarming with Subarus so my vote is for Vermont to take the per capita title. In addition to the states already listed, other places where you will find lots of Subarus include the Upper Midwest, Pacific Northwest and in the Appalachians on the East Coast.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I saw my first Subarus in the Rocky Mountains - there seemed to be a cult following of them in the 70's in the eastern front out of Denver (Evergreen, etc. - those guys probably went yuppie and all commute in big SUVs now).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    In my '99 Forester L, I had enabled a nifty hidden feature in the keyless entry module that I would like to replicate on my new 2003 Forester XS.

I don't remember the details, or even where I got the information, but by changing a few DIP switches, I enabled a feature that locks your doors when you turn the car on and unlocks them when you turn it off.

I believe the OEM keyless entry for Subaru is still Code-Alarm/Chapman, but the system has likely changed since '99 and I don't want to tinker around with it unless I actually get some documentation.

Anyone have any ideas if this can be done? (I believe this is the same system in the 2001 and newer Foresters.)

Thanks,
    Elliot
  • Options
    Elliot- Congrats and Wow, you really did your homework! I can see where that list would come in handy when convincing a spouse that you need to trade-in a perfectly good vehicle for a new model.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Kate- Are you sure about the AC on the Outback LL Bean? It's been my experience (various rentals mostly) that the AC default is usually "Recirc". Which makes sense since the AC cools faster on that setting.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Kate,

In the three days I've been driving my Forester XS, here's what I've observed with the Auto Climate Control:

In order to get the temp down quickly, it starts off in recirc mode and really blows like crazy. As the temp comes down, first it lowers the fan speed, and then if it thinks it can maintain the temperature, it will disengage the recirc mode.

Yesterday, it was 87 outside, and it never turned off out of recirc, but this morning (75 degrees, it did.)

If that's a problem to you, don't worrry - you can use every feature of the climate control in manual mode as easily as a regular climate control. So if you're stuck in traffic and need it in recirc, simply turn on recirc. But then you will need to manage the fan speed and temperature yourself, of course.

- Elliot
  • Options
    Frank: yes, I'm pretty sure it forced "intake" on me all the time. It was rental LL Bean.

Elliot: yes, I know I can switch to manual mode but then I wonder why to pay for a feature I don't use?

You see, I'm already mulling over whether to get X or XS version of 200X Forester, when my baby Silvius hits 100K mi...
  • Options
    Congrats Elliot! That's quite a comprehensive list of upgrades, now I'm jealous!

Like Frank, I copied your list to show the wife when it comes time to justify the upgrade. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    cork2wincork2win Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the ideas about checking which dome light stays on... that will help me narrow down which door it is!! Is the door ajar light supposed to go out immediately after the door is closed... seems it stays on quite a while even when it's just the driver's door I've had open. Strange... may just take some getting used to.
  • Options
    cork2win,

The Foresters have a "theater style" dome light that stays lit for about 5 seconds after the door has been shut if the car is running, and about 30 seconds if it is off. They gradually dim to off in about 3 seconds. How long is yours staying on?

I'm inclined to agree that you simply have a bad switch somewhere.

-Elliot
  • Options
    > "Elliot: yes, I know I can switch to manual mode but then I wonder why to pay for a feature I don't use?"

Well, look at it this way, with all of the other improvements and upgrades from the 2002 to 2003 at almost the same price, think of the automatic climate control as a "free" bonus and you won't feel bad about paying for an XS! (I think it's almost worth it just for the 6 CD changer and the heated seats.)

Besides, what I meant was you can use it in manual mode when you disagree with it, but in normal conditions outside of your commute, you can still enjoy it in auto mode.

- Elliot
  • Options
    I like those dimming lights. We'd even miss them when we'd drive the 626.

Now that we have 2 Subies, we don't have that problem any more.

-juice
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Kate,

It's correct that the ACC mode defaults to Intake, except at system start when there is a large difference between inside/outside air temps so it switches to Recirc. I don't know of any way to change this.

I too hit the Recirc button often when following a pungent vehicle. I must admit I haven't paid the system a lot of attention, but have never noticed that the auto feature disengeges from the fan and temp controls when manually switched to Recirc. I believe (it's hard to be certain because the system works so well, so unobtrusively) that choosing Recirc manually simply controls that one parameter, leaving the automatic system to continue to sort out the fan and temp settings.

I would expect the Forester system to behave similarly.

That being said, I also have to admit that I prefer the Intake setting, so unless there is a particular reason to choose Recirc, I do leave it alone. The above description applies to three other cars with ACC I have owned, dating back to 1982.

Steve (with Bean)
  • Options
    The system on my trooper is pretty cool with the recirc, it remembers wherever it was (recirc or fresh) after restart/auto on/off. Also it's got 2 different ways to control the auto-ness of it. You can have it auto the location or auto the fan and it will work to achive the set temp. Or you can do auto-auto where it varies the location and the fan.

-mike
  • Options
    boba6boba6 Member Posts: 18
    Thinking of getting a small (solo) canoe, and am thinking of just using the factory rack crossbars with some foam padding. Any experiences? I'm not trying to avoid a special rack just because I'm cheap, but the clearance into my garage will be very close, so even half an inch in total height can be important. Life will be easier if I can just pull in and pully the canoe up, and I'm even giving some thought to removing the crossbars and going with foam blocks, but the roof strips will probably get in the way. From what I can tell in the accessories guide, the only canoe-able accessory from Subaru looks to be the round bars, which seem to add some height. Any and all comments appreciated.
    Bob A.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Foam blocks are ok for around town but I don't like to use them on the highway for long. Plus you always seem to lose one when you are ready to return home.

Yak & Thule make some adapters that fit on some existing racks. Not as strong, but would a little shorter than using their towers. But that's probably the same as the Subaru round bar adapter you mentioned.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    ducktapeguyducktapeguy Member Posts: 115
    I was driving around over the weekend, and noticed that there was some slippage when cornering. As soon as I got home, I noticed a slight burning smell, so I checked the transmission fluid. It was so low that I couldn't even see it on the dipstick. So I added about 2.5 quarts, and brought it up to the right level. The funny thing is, I didn't really notice anything leaking until afterwards, then I checked my driveway and saw a few spots, but not 2.5 quarts worth. My dad said he noticed it happening a couple of days ago and forgot to tell me. I know that the fluid is slightly burnt, but I'll probably have it flushed this weekend. I don't know how this happened, but i suspect that when I took it in for an oil change they accidentally unscrewed the transmission filter and drained a couple of quarts before they realized it. The reason I think this happened is because when i look at the filter, it looks as if somebody took a pair of pliers to it, it's a little dented on either side.

Anyway, I was wondering whether I caused any permanent damage to the transmission, or is it already too late? if the transmission fluid is already burnt did I already screw up the transmission. I probably drove about 400 miles (long commute), not very aggressivley, until i noticed the problem. There does not appear to be any leaks anywhere else on the transmission except for a small one around the filter. And does has anyone know where to get a new transmission filter and drain plug gasket for a 2001 forester? I checked a couple of autoparts places but they don't stock it, i think because it's too new. Is it the same as the previous model years? I'm afraid to take it to any quickie lube place anymore, does somebody knows a good subaru mechanic in So Cal?
  • Options
    With the proper amount is it shifting ok?

If so it will be fine. I did something similar with my XT6 AT last year, after I added the fluid it was fine, took it to get it flushed out and what not, and it's been running 15K since then w/o problems.

-mike
  • Options
    on_the_roadon_the_road Member Posts: 10
    1. Rear differential protector. I will not be off-road much, but have driven snow covered roads that have tracks from tires and a snow/ice mound between the tire tracks that will scrape bottom. For something like this, is the rear differential protector a good idea? How fragile is the rear differential?

2. Leather vs. cloth. Any comments?

3. I'm planning on getting the tow hitch. I noticed it is Class 1. The subaru bike rack only holds two bikes. Yakima has some 2-bike racks and some 4-bike racks, which they say can only hold three bikes for a Class 1 hitch. Is there no subaru option for 3 bikes?

4. Rear window dust deflector. Seems to ship as pre-installed equipment on many at the dealer. Is there really much advantage to this option?

I am considering an XS Premium with the following options. Any suggestions/comments?

Silver or black. (gray interior)
    Possibly leather,possibly rear window dust deflector, possibly differential protector, trailer hitch, possibly bike rack, popular package 1 (bumper cover, cargo tray, splash guards), popular package 3 (air filter, cargo net, armrest).

Any idea where I can see pictures of a silver XS premium w/monotone?

Thanks
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Did anyone see that automatic door unlock question a few posts back? I'd be interested in the auto lock/unlock feature on my 2002 Subaru Forester S when I turn on the ignition. If you have an answer for the guy's question, pass it along.

Thanks,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    Could be 1 of 2 things.

Dealer installed aftermarket alarm, I know several people who have this feature on their vehicles. Or it could be a result of GM INFLUENCE on Subaru, since most GMs do that.

-mike
  • Options
    bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    On the auto-lock, I'd like to know as well. We have an aftermarket alarm on my wife's Sentra which does this, and my wife really likes that feature. Unfortunately, the alarm itself is possessed. I would never buy another car (used in this case) with an aftermarket alarm. Likes to turn itself on for no apparent reason, beeps at me while I'm driving down the road (very strange).

Options:

1) We have the rear diffy protector because we camp alot. We go off-road, but not off-trail (a distinction I'd like to introduce to the general language. "Off-road" is so diluted that it's meaningless these days...) Not really a necessary item IMHO, unless you expect to encounter unforeseen obstacles with some frequency. Deep snow alone doesn't justify the expense, if you ask me.

2) Personal preference thing. We don't like leather because it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It does hold up better, and it's easier to clean.

3) We have a Draw-Tite class II hitch. Beefier than stock and cheaper too. Perfect fit. Bought it through Sportsrack. 7 bolts @ 58 ft lbs plus a little futzing around with the charcoal canister - about a 1/2 hour to put it on. Doesn't change the car's ratings of course, but guaranteed not to fail because you'll be well within its limits.

We went with a SoftRide Access LT bike rack for it. Fits 4 bikes, very versatile because you can get other components for it (ski's snowboards, even a grill for tailgating). Has a patented system for keeping the bikes level when you pull it out to gain access to the hatch, and for loading the rack if you're short (my wife is on the petite side). Bought it at REI, price competitive with Yakima and Thule. Bought a Yakima lock set so that the lock matched all of our other Yak stuff. Much easier to load the bikes than on the roof.

4. Seems to help. Had it from the beginning so can't really tell, but others have reported an improvement in keeping the rear glass clean after adding one.

5. Options close to what we got. Looks good to me.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post...

-brianV
This discussion has been closed.