Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    I thought that the weak link was the suspension link that was susceptable to rust and might fall off. j/k That's one of the things that bothers me about the Escape, Tribute, and Sportage (vehicles with poor reliability reputations). None of them are consistent. I could understand it if there were consistent problems in one area; a bad tranny for example. But the list of problems includes the suspension, brakes, electrical, etc... There isn't a single part that can be trusted!
  • Options
    thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    According to Edmund's, the attribute of the Tribute is "shoddy build quality".

If that's "most wanted", then I say it's condign punishment for anyone so foolish.

The CR-V will still be a willing performer years after the Fords are recycled.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I thought it was a typo, but I looked it up; "condign" is a real word, and used properly in #4455. You go, thorn.
  • Options
    thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    http://www.forbes.com/2001/12/17/1217test.html

Honda's motor is absolutely fluid right up to redline, a true rarity in the land of SUVs, where ancient pushrod engine designs still seem to hold sway.

Notes the V-6 Ford is about as quick as the advanced 4 in the CR-V.

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You crack me up, varmit, "there isn't a single part that can be trusted!" LOL!

You left out the early steering wheels that could fall off, which is why I could not test drive one during the Edmunds Live event. I saw that as divine intervention. ;-)

You read enough threads here, though, and you won't likely buy anything. Odyssey owners complain about problems with the trannies, brakes, and sliding doors, but that still doesn't mean the underlying product isn't good.

What I'm saying is that reliability is something, it's just not everything. The Odyssey is still the best van out there. I just wish it came with a longer warranty, because the price is already a bit of a stretch for me.

The CR-V with a 5 speed manual may be as quick as an Escape (depends on which source you quote), but I doubt it would be with an automatic.

I prefer the Tribute's styling over the Escape, but I still don't like the column shifter and the interior layout much. I'm glad they exist as competitors, though, because it's likely others will get more power.

-juice
  • Options
    tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Yesterday I discovered a great thing about my CRV, that I hadn't thought about previously. We were out wtih our two boys, ages 2 years and 6 months and it became apparent that the little one needed his diaper changed. Instead of going to a restaurant and finding one of those lame changing tables we just opened up the back and put him down in the cargo area. It was perfect, so we decided to go ahead and change the 2 year old also...This is a great car for parents....
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    If all else fails, try the arbitration process available in Canada. It's free, and relatively quick (compared to legal action). It is administered by your local BBB office. It worked for me on a 2000 Prelude. (I was awarded a buy-back decision)
  • Options
    The one thing I would be concerned about with an after-market alarm is that the electrical systems on Honda are finicky and all dealers (and even some installers) will not recommend installing an after-market system, or at least be extremely careful when doing so. The Honda system is not a bad system if somewhat pricey. The only thing I don't like is that for '02 they did away with the siren as an option, so if you want an audible "beep" for arming/disarming you have to use the horn, which is quite loud and annoying.
  • Options
    thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Has anyone found a hood protector for the 2002?? I am not talking about the vinyl "bra" which my dealer says has to be taken on and off in rain, snow,etc! Also it is wiser to let dealer install alarm because if someone else installs alarm and there is a problem dealer will not honor warranty on part you are having the problem with. An alternator on a CRV must cost at least $500!
  • Options
    sadie16sadie16 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in leasing the CRV EX 4X4(2002). Anyone get any good lease deals or know of any out there? Do you think Jan. or Feb. might be a better time to find a good deal? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    The real danger in installing an after-market alarm is frying the ECU which apparently costs around $1500. Don't know for sure it that's US or Canadian bucks but either one would still be bad enough.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I did the exact same thing when I read "condign" in thorn's post...boy we're pedantic.

It's really funny many new words you learn while reading these forums. Teo uses "recalcitrant" so many times it's now an integral part of my vocabulary.
  • Options
    hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    I'm an attorney, and majored in English undergrad, but the word was new to me. Made me get out my dictionary, too.

(And then I had to go back and edit my message after I saw it posted with typos).
  • Options
    now I also have to look up "pedantic"!

BTW, does anyone know what "parenthetic" means?
  • Options
    Thorn - You seem to like links, so here's another for you. The Aussie perspective on automotive news and press releases.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_HON/showall_/news.html

• Options
    Recently, Honda introduced the Dualnote at the Tokyo auto show. Now they are showng the RD-X at Detroit. Both cars use Honda's IMA Hybrid engine technology as an AWD system.

Honda has also let slip that they manufacture a CR-V hybrid if the hybrid Civic sells well.

So my wishful thought is that Honda may use the IMA hybrid system in the CR-V as a new AWD. Dunno if it would work any differently, but it sounds cool. =)

• Options
    hondasales101hondasales101 Member Posts: 7
    Leases payments are mostly based on the selling price, as lond as they sell it for msrp and go through Honda Finance for the lease (no sec dep, low rates right now) the lease is as good as it gets. dont expect any lease deals from honda since the vehicle sells extremley good.

Only lease with Honda Finance for the following reasons
    1. $15000 damage waiver
    2. no sec dep
    3. rates around 3 or 4 percent
    4. no disposition fee
  • Options
    varmit- that link you posted also shows a whitish/metallic CR-V in monochromatic scheme - makes me hate Honda even more for not offering it to the U.S.

Wishful thinking- that the Acura RDX never makes it to production...it's hideous!
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Thanks for the information on the security system query. I was leaning towards the Honda system and your answers helped me decide.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    canadiancl: To answer your question, yes (but you should look it up).
  • Options
    atthebeachatthebeach Member Posts: 9
    Well second fill-up with almost all around town 272/11.1=24.5, this is with the 5spd and I do like to get up to speed quickly. The engine is definitely loosening up nicely. Took 5 of us from the office to lunch and they commented on how big the rear seat is to fit everyone in comfortably.

I'm going to see my brother over Xmas and he has a new Outback with 6 cylinder engine so we can do our own real life comparison.

Dave
  • Options
    Parenthetic means someone like me (that like to use parenthesis). Or maybe it's someone who likes being a parent and is expecting more kids. ;-)

RD-X looks like a Toyota RSC with a louvered moonroof from a Mercedes ML. I agree with diploid, it is hideous. Though I'm sure Acura is really just demonstrating some new ideas, which is fine in a concept.

I agree that a CR-V hybrid makes total sense. Just use the FWD drivetrain, and add IMA on the rear wheels when needed, for a through-the-road AWD system. It wouldn't have to weigh much more than a RT4WD CR-V, becuase you would not need the RBC or the driveshaft.

-juice
  • Options
    Diploid - Yeah, the concept looks way too funky, but it's just a concept car. I just want the stuff under the hood... or is it under the seat? =)

Honda is betting on hybrid technology for the next 30 years (rather than alternative fuels). So I do expect to see more hybrid powertrains. I just find it interesting that they've had two concepts using it for AWD purposes. Sounds like they're serious about it. I wonder if the electric motor(s) require a dedicated transmission?
  • Options
    The cool thing about electric motors is that they reach their peak torque output at zero rpm. So you can make a small-engined hybrid feel torquey at low revs. In other words, they complement each other well.

The AWD would really only have to kick in at low speeds and when the fronts slip (to replace RT4WD), so I don't think you would need different gears.

The Insight uses a 1.0l engine + IMA, while I think the Civic will use a 1.3l + IMA. So the CR-V could use a 1.7l or 2.0l engine in that application, making it a real fuel miser, with the IMA kicking in to get you rolling and in slippery conditions.

35mpg, anyone?

A hybrid Escape is on the way, and a Durango is under consideration, so we'll see these sooner or later.

-juice
  • Options
    Chrysler recently recinded their claims about the hybrid Durango. Instead, they are going to try to produce a hybrid mini-van (trying to out-Honda the Honda?).

Ford was also trying to develop a hybrid Explorer. That project has been scrapped. As far as I know, The Escape project is still alive.

The Dualnote was supposed to offer AWD at all speeds. It used two IMA motors to give it extra kick. I can't recall the exact output. It was either 100 hp or 100 lb-ft. Obviously, a CR-V model wouldn't get that same kick. The new Civic hybrid is supposed to get about 36 lb-ft from the IMA (again, I'm working from memory).

I expect that a CR-V hybrid would get about 24-33 mpg and still be as driveable as the first gen.
  • Options
    Honda almost doesn't need to bother with a hybrid minivan. The Odyssey already has ridiculous wait lists, and the Pilot ought to push their production capacity limits even more.

Chrysler is funny because their vans try to be all things to all people. You can find a stripped $18k minivan next to a luxo $35k AWD T&C Ltd, it's crazy. The 7/100 warranty is a big plus, but I still think they need to re-focus on the basics.

For a hybrid CR-V, I imagine sending even just 50 lb-ft to the rear axle would be OK.

-juice
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Honda first displayed AWD hybrid drivetrain in 1999 Tokyo Motor Show (Honda Spocket). The front wheels of the coupe/pickup were powered by a gasoline engine, each of the rear wheels had electric motors to supply power. In 2001 Tokyo Motor Show, they showcased Dual Note, a 2+2 sports car with mid-mounted gasoline engine powering the rear wheels, and in-wheel electric motors powering each of the front wheels. Not sure about RDX, but it might use a concept similar to either Spocket (front engine) or Dual Note (mid-engine).
    That makes me think that if Honda does plan to launch a hybrid CRV, it will likely use it in the form of AWD hybrid drivetrain, replacing the current AWD system.

Dual Note uses a 3.5 liter DOHC iVTEC V6 that delivers 300 HP. The two electric motors combine to provide 100 HP (at peak), making the Dual Note a 400 HP car, with over 325 lb.-ft (my guess) available for most of the engine speed. It also uses a highly advanced recharging system, although I'm not sure if it also uses the cylinder shutoff technology (during deceleration) that will be seen in Civic hybrid. AWD is almost like VTM-4 system in that it supplies power to all wheels during acceleration. During aggressive cornering, the ATTS works like it did in Prelude, i.e. transfer power from inner wheel to outer wheel. However, during normal (non-accelerative) cornering, the ATTS does not transfer power from inner wheel, instead uses it for recharging the batteries. The car is also equipped with VSA (stability system). It is an interesting concept, the way it has been designed to work. BTW, the IMA is mounted with the gasoline engine and synchronizes all three power plants in the prototype.

I don't expect any low priced Honda to get this hi-tech stuff yet, but CRV might be the best bet to see something on these lines. Instead of two electric motors, it could use just one, even if that meant the size that Civic hybrid uses. The 2.0 liter I-4 (European/JDM CRV) could be mated to the 13 HP @ 4000 rpm, 36 lb.-ft @ 1000 rpm electric motor, and perform better than the current 2.4/I-4 with fuel economy in excess of 30 mpg, besides supplying the peak torque for most of the 1000-4000 rpm bracket.
  • Options
    I did not know that the Spocket was a hybrid.

I believe that the RD-X is a front engine design. Just look at the cargo opening in the back. Where the (electric) motor is positioned is anybody's guess. The ugly-as-an-Aztek Unibox had it's powerplant in the door!

I don't expect to see a techno wonder CR-V, but the hybrid based AWD looks possible... if not practical. It may help explain why Honda didn't make any changes to RT4WD for this year.

Anyway... I don't expect that we'll even see the hybrid CR-V as anything but a concept car. In order for Honda to start manufacturing it, North Americans will have to start buying lots of hybrid Civics. Even though I'm sure it'll wallup the Prius in terms of sales, I suspect it'll be too expensive to produce and have a low profit margin.
  • Options
    Atthebeach - Make sure you smoke that Subie wagon! =)
  • Options
    The dictionary is getting another workout tonight.
  • Options
    Crack open that ideophone and get to work!
  • Options
    jlyonmnjlyonmn Member Posts: 8
    I am about two days from buying a CR-V EX 5 speed here in Duluth MN. The dealer is going to offer two things on which I'd like the opinion of the sages in the CR-V forum.

What do you all think about rustproofing? Now remember that I live in a very hilly, frigid town in which salt on the road is used liberally.

How about the offer of extended warranties. The dealer offers both the Honda 7yr/75K mi, and a comparable aftermarket warranty.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    I wouldn't go for extended warranty. Our '97 CR-V has had absolutely no warranty repair in the 5 years we've had it, and I don't think the '02 will be any less reliable.

Normally I would also say no to the rustproofing, but if where you live they salt the roads liberally and frequently, then maybe you should consider it, although, mind you, Honda does have the corrosion/perforation warranty.

(when you said dealer enticement, it almosts sounded like they were free. Then of course, yeah, I would take them!)
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Is anyone getting close to the $316 over invoice that Mark Roberts Honda sells CRV's, Accords and Civics everyday here in Oklahoma? If not and you are nearby or have frequent flyer miles to burn check out. airport nearby.
    www.autoinvoice.com and ask for
    John Page at 1-800-375-less. You will be pleasently surprised. I just got my new Odyssey there (MSRP of course on that one). Only add on fee is $49.50 doc fee.
    Does that beige color interior bother anyone else?
    INKY
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    I live in London Ontario Canada (South Western Ontario) so we too get our fair share of salt. In fact I work for the City so I know how much we actually put down (over $2 million).
    I've had an 88 Civic, 94 Civic, 99 Civic and now an 02 CRV. I've never had any rust proofing done of any kind and have never had any rust problems. My mother still has her 93 Civic and it's just starting to show some rust.
    I bought an extended warranty for my 99 Civic because that's when they changed from a 5 year to a 3 year warranty. Since I just traded that in I never found out if I needed it but I didn't bother buying it on my new V.
    It's a Honda - what's going to go wrong? :)

-Rob
  • Options
    Wait, didn't the Unibox have slide-out-scooters in the door? Where was the engine, then? That thing was hilarious.

The Subie H6 is geared very tall, more for relaxed low rpm cruising than for 0-60 launches. The fuel mileage is almost as good as the H4, but it's not significantly faster off the line (especially since it's auto only). We've been asking SoA for a 5 speed auto, or better yet, manual.

Instead of rust proofing, consider washing the undercarriage after the snow melts away from each storm. Just get that salt off. Most of the steel nowadays is galvanized, so make sure to touch-up paint any nicks or scratches. That's where rust would occur.

-juice
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    how much are they charging you for these enticements?
    i never got to use my extended warranty on the 99 civic, after i traded her in, i got most of my money back though.
    i don;t know about rustproofing, honda puts some sort of coating on the underside of their products.
  • Options
    jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I live in Minneapolis and I have never rustproofed my cars. Having said that, my 1990 Nissan was severely rusted when I got rid of it in 1997 and my 1995 Integra now has a small beginning of rust just over the rear wheel well. The Integra's rust spot is due to a scrape from an anonymous patron in a parking lot that I failed to fix.

For those of you in warmer climates, one of the problems in severely cold regions is that it is difficult to wash your car in the winter to get rid of the salt. We often get weeks of severe cold and snow. If you don't have a heated garage and you wash your car, then your doors may freeze shut. Or your locks will freeze.
  • Options
    Get some naval jelly. Apply it with a paint brush, wait a few minutes, then wipe off with a paper towel. Wear gloves to protect your hands. Repeat if necessary, the rust will come off. Then touch-up paint it.

If the rust didn't make a hole, it works.

-juice
  • Options
    Washing in the Winter... Take some silly puddy and cover the key holes on the doors. Everybody has some extra silly puddy, right? I once used it to fix a leaking gas tank. =) You don't really need to scrub the car clean, just rinse of the salt at a high pressure car wash or with a garden hose. Then wipe down the door sills to remove excess water to prevent freezing. I typically just do the driver's door. As long as I can get that door open from the outside, I can get the others from inside the car.

Juice - Navel jelly? Sounds kinky.
  • Options
    I use tape to cover the key holes. Same basic idea.

I have a pressure washer for the undercarriage, works like a charm. You could just wash that area, and not around the doors, but your neighbors would think you are nuts. ;-)

That's very crafty. I've heard of people using peanut butter to remove bugs, tar, and glue from paint. Stick with Creamy. I prefer Jiff myself.

-juice
  • Options
    SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    Ha, here on the Left Coast all the car washes are full service - they vacuum, wash, and dry your car while you sit in a warm, comfortable waiting room (or the warm, sunny patio). They'll even gas it up and/or change the oil for you if you want. I'm gonna miss 'em when I finally move back to the Northeast...
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    Whatever you do NEVER eat a peanut butter and naval jelly sandwich.
  • Options
    jlyonmnjlyonmn Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the advice and benefit of your experiences. The dealer wants $500 for rustproofing. The Honda extended warranty ( 7 yr/75 kmi) is $1270 and the comparable aftermarket warranty is $1190.

I think these are reasonable prices, but I just don't think I will need either.

2002 V's are going for MRSP up here (the only dealer within 160 miles).
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I usually wait for the temps to get close to (or slightly above) freezing, then go through a "touchless" wash that has an underbody flush and the big blowers for drying. I live in an apartment and we're not allowed to wash cars in the parking lot. And the coin-op self wash is right next to the touchless place, so why should I freeze my cajones to save a couple of dollars? :)
  • Options
    I think it was Car & Driver or Autoweek that once had an article titled, "Women; they are dirty and they will pay". Or something like that. Out of context, it was quite the eye-catcher. The article was about how full-serve car washes were charging more money for minivans than they were for enormous SUVs. Their reasoning was that women tote around kids in the mini-van, and kids spill stuff and/or rub bubble gum into the carpets. Women also don't have the time (or energy) to do the job themselves. So the vans are dirty and the women who drive them are willing to pay.
  • Options
    Theracoon - Wuss. =) Hey, did you pick up the V this week?
  • Options
    jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    Contrary to poular belief we do also have full service car washes and other urban amenities here in the frozen north land. The problem I have always had is that they don't really dry the car completely. I haven't tried the silly putty or tape. Both sound like a good idea. I have tried to wipe down the door sills after a wash and still had the door freeze. I don't know if you all realize how seriously cold it can get here at times. I lived in Boston for 2 years and + 5 degrees F was the worst it ever got, while here in Minneapolis we have reached -20 degrees F several times. We usually have entire weeks of below zero temps during the winter. Sometimes they can't even put road salt down because it is to cold for it to work. I am sure some of the Canadians can relate. Thank god it has been warmer here this winter.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's refrain from posting phone numbers as we do not have any means of verifying their accuracy! Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    WILCO
    INKY