Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    whats up with sway bar links?,, I was cleaning out the accumulation of excess parts that wound up in my dining room after my lift was installed. I posted the links on EBAY ,, they sold for over $65. why would someone want these over a set of disconnects? I was just hoping to get $10. I got that and enough to fill the gas tank ;)
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I've always said that eBay is a great place to sell stuff (people often pay over retail), but it's much harder to get the bargains that occasionally do appear.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I get 17 plus to 18 plus mostly all highway for mpg on my daily commute. I have very few lights, some stretches of slow and go, some major elevation gains, and high winds the last couple of days. I've gotten over 19 a couple of times, but that was all downhill with a tailwind. I keep my speed under 70 for the most part - speed really kills mileage. The Unlimited is more sensitive to heavier traffic but doesn't seem to be as affected by the wind as the Sport (5 speed), which gets 19 plus to 20 plus normally under the same conditions.

I've noticed that I've been getting far fewer 18 plus tanks this month - I don't know if that is due to the weather or some other factor. I'm driving about the same speed, and the traffic has been about normal. Just changed the oil, rotated and balanced the tires, and aligned the front end (no more shimmy - it was slightly out of alignment and the tires needed to be rotated).

I've figured out how to turn off the autodimming mirror - push the 2 outside buttons and hold them in for about 10 seconds - 5 doesn't work. My mirror started dimming too soon again - it happens when driving in late afternoon and going through shady areas. Turning it off took care of the problem. It turns itself back on when you restart the car, which is great - you don't have to remember to turn it back on.
  • Options
    slagleslagle Member Posts: 6
    A few months ago I noticed that my jeep's driver side front wheel had a slight problem. (I have no idea what the technical terms are for these parts so please bear with me) At the wheel base there is a bar that connects the jeep to the tire (if that makes any sense) this bar has a something that is similiar to what I would call and elbow. The boot is busted/worn. Okay with that back ground information, my jeep has just recently started to shimmy, shake,vibrate and feel as if the body is going to separate from the wheel base. This shimmy always happens at 50-55 mph and the more you stay in that range the worse it gets. I slam on brakes and get below 50 it stops. Monday I had my tires balanced and rotated which the mechanic claims that would fix it. But if it has anything to do with the boot elbow thing being busted I wouldn't think so. Someone mentioned to me something about a stablizer? I have no clue what this could be or if the boot elbow thing is the root of my problem (which it probably is) If any one has some pointers that would be great. Jeeps are wonderful creatures that have little quirks that are so different from any other vehicle that I have drove. If this helps, 1999 4x4 4.0L wrangler sport
  • Options
    You didn't actually say if the rotation and balance fixed the problem. Assuming it didn't, the vibration could be caused by a loose or worn steering or suspension joint, of which there are many. Just because a boot is damaged doesn't necessarily mean that the joint has failed yet, nor should you assume that a joint with a good boot is ok. The problem could also be exacerbated, but not caused by, a bad steering stabilizer.

You need to take it to a mechanic that knows Jeeps, can do a proper check, and can explain the various parts of the steering and suspension to you.
  • Options
    Sounds like it's cracking again, which is not uncommon. There's an improved manifold available that cures the problem.
  • Options
    Thanks for your in put. You are right about going to a mechanic however I have one problem with that if I was not a girl or was not uneducated to mechanics it would be a lot easier. To get a mechanic around here to give me a straight answer and an intellegient inexpensive explanation without treating me as if I am clueless is virtually impossible. Now if I were to go in the door already speaking the terminology or even sound like I have a little Jeep knowledge it would not be so hard. And to answer your question the balance rotation did not fix it. The boot that is around the elbow is completely busted and the el is no longer in the bow. If you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Ya' know when this happened back in September everyone says that it was very common for a jeep to do this especially in the seams. I just have one question for Dyamler Chrysler if this is so common stop making a jeep with this type of part. I called Dyamler and they said pretty much tough luck. Which really did not improve my thoughts of my Jeep at that time.

So, how do you mean improved? What's the brand? Any suggestions other then dealership that would have this improved manifold?
  • Options
    If your local mechanics can't treat you with respect it sounds like their loss to me. Can you borrow a token male to take with you?

Seriously though, why not spend $25 on a years access to the Factory Service Manual at http://www.alldatadiy.com
    It's only the cost of half a tank of gas and you can print out anything you want.............and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words!

:--)
  • Options
    When I got my jeep in 99 it took me a while to understand and appreciate the wave. No one had to explain it to me it's just that a "Jeep thing" it will come to you. Once you buy a Jeep and have entered into the Jeep family a wave is what you do. Its almost like a hidden rule.

Lately here in Georgia I have noticed that the Jeep family has not been very responsive. Which really bugs me. Maybe they have not realized what it means however you don't run across Jeep after Jeep after Jeep with no wave.

Anyway my point is (after all of that opinonated rambling) I HEAR YA'!!
  • Options
    The improved part has bellows in the outer tubes, and here a picture of a copy of the DC one:

You can buy it on eBay for $78, which is much cheaper than the DC one. Here's a link, and I have no connection with the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7963949007&category=336- 32
  • Options
    dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    I posted the links on EBAY, they sold for over $65

My buddy with a Sahara had one side break on him. (Not being too mechanical nor knowing how the sway bars are set up, I'm just trying to remember what he said...) He bought some online for $85. I'd say $65 was a deal! :-)

--Dan
  • Options
    Ahh, you're in the south, that might explain a few things!

:--)
  • Options
    Exactly. True Southerner's know the true meaning of southern hospitality. Which means you wave by GOSH!!
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    A Wrangler is not going to get "good" mileage, regardless of anything we do, but we can maybe squeeze out an extra mile or two per gallon by employing some of the following strategies:

1. Tire inflation Keep the proper amount of air in your tires. Underinflated tires will increase gas consumption (and prematurely wear the tires on the outside portion of tread). (Don't overdo it, though, because then you will have a harsh ride and will wear out the center portion of tread. I can't tell you what pressure to run, since it depends on the type of tire.)

2. Speed Keep your speed down. Jeeps have extremely poor aerodynamics, so they catch a LOT of wind. I read somewhere that when you are cruising at highway speeds, 80% of your engine's power is used to simply overcome wind resistance. Someone can jump in here and confirm or refute this, but I believe wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed, and not in direct proportion. In other words, doubling your speed increases wind resistance by four times, not by two times.

3. Synthetic Oil I gained 5% gas mileage on a 94 Z28 Camaro by switching to Mobil 1 oil. I used to check gas mileage at EVERY fill-up, so I had a long history of MPG both before and after the switch to synthetic oil. The increase was REAL, not imagined. Also, if you gain a little on MPG, I think we can assume there is less friction, and less friction should be good for engine life.

4. Driving habits In town, you can help your mileage by not accelerating from traffic lights as if you were drag racing. Take it easy, shift early (not so early as to bog down the engine, but just avoid "winding out" the gears).

Even better, avoid as many stops as you can. Pay attention to the traffic lights and the traffic. If you are coming up on an intersection where the light is red, slow down and try to time your arrival at the intersection so that the light will be green and you won't have to stop. I'm not saying that you should time it to hit the intersection the very second the light turns green, because that can be dangerous, if some cross traffic is trying to beat the light.

Every time you go through the gears you use more gas compared to just continuing to drive along in the higher gears.

Using this technique has the additional advantage of extending clutch and brake life.

With gas prices as they are, I thought it might be a real good time to talk about gas-saving techniques. Anyone got any more to share with us?

Thelma Jane definitely has taken big steps backwards in mileage. I have put LOTS of weight on her with the winch and all of the armor for offroading. Also, those big tires are harder to turn and cause higher gas consumption. I carry lots of tools around, and they weigh quite a bit. Fortunately, I have a little S-10 pickup to serve as my daily driver. That little truch gets about 23 MPG.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    - don't neglect scheduled maintenance. The newer distributorless ignitions are reliable and maintenance free. Spark plugs are cheap and easy to replace. I tried the fancy plugs and since switched to Champion truck plugs which have worked very well for me. Also, check your air filter to ensure it doesn't need to be changed or cleaned.

- use cruise control where safe and appropriate. I find I can pick up about 1mpg by using cruise, since the Jeep can require you to get pretty deep in the throttle on steep grades.

The slow down suggestion is probably the most effective for me. I average 15.5MPG consistantly, but can get it up close to 17 if I drive 55 or under (gives a good excuse to take the scenic back roads!).

-twylie
  • Options
    Way to go, Trey. Don't know how I could have forgotten that one! It is a biggie.

Keeping an engine properly tuned and making sure the air filter is not too dirty can contribute much toward improved gas mileage.

Tomster

• Options
    stavrossstavross Member Posts: 6

Some pic of my jeep,camping on the beach and driving the sand dunes.No lift kit,31X10.5 tyres,
    USA Eagle 218 wheels,15X8.Only a few tyre shops would put the wheels and tyres on,others said they will not fit,they rub on the flares on a big bump otherwise there fine.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    This pic highlights the main suspension parts for the front. This pic is taken from the driver side front looking back.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Can you identify the area where the boot is? if you are getting vibes at a certain speed, I'd check tire balance first of all, but I'd definitely listen to Mac, he knows Jeeps!

-Paul
  • Options
    Stavross:

Nice looking Jeep! Glad you are having fun with it. Hope the mechanical problems have been taken care of once and for all.

Tom

• Options
    lyrixlyrix Member Posts: 1
    I got on my Jeep today and realized the turn signal on dash board goes faster so I thought one of the turn signal bulb is out... I was wrong! Both of the front turn signal bulb is GONE gone, along with their compartments. The thief also cut off the wire connected to the fog light, I guess otherwise he can't take the turn signal light away... wish those evils got punished... I didn't get a chance to check under the hood before going to work.

What do I do now? How much does this thing cost, along with cables connected to it, both turn signals? It's probably not worth to call the insurance company... oh man, why and why my Sahara! :cry:
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I'm a big ebay fan,, but in your case I'd suggest a salvage yard,, sounds like you need one fast.

I'm sure you could pick those up cheap,, especially at a yard that lets you sort through the lot and remove the part yourself.

jeff
  • Options
    This is COOL! :surprise:
  • Options
    I LOVE MY JEEP!

I LOVE MY JEEP!

:P

Hey, get us some JEEP icons!
  • Options
    zapatista2000zapatista2000 Member Posts: 33
    Hello all,

I've got a few questions if you don't mind.

I just bought a 2001 Sport with a hard top and I'm looking at getting a soft top as the warm weather approaches. I'm really only concerned about having something to pull up so I can drive it when it rains and to keep people from reaching into it at night when it's parked on the street. Is the full soft top the easiest/quickest way to gain shelter when the rain falls and to lock up at night or is there something simpler I should look at? I'm convinced that Bestop is the way to go but I'm curious as to what other city dwellers do to handle rain and keeping people out of your ride at night (I did install an alarm and Lojack but leaving it open still worries me).

Next--Are 30" tires the biggest I can put on without getting a lift?

And finally--does anyone have experience donating a beat up car to charity or having a wrecker haul it away. After my 97 Neon was stolen, trashed, recovered and towed to my house, I just want it towed away, probably for parts. Problem is I'm not really sure how to finally get that thing out of my hair.

Any and all comment are welcome. Thanks a lot for the advice!

-J
  • Options
    Welcome back! It has been a while since you posted.

You are only inviting a thief to slit your top and take what he wants when you lock a soft top Jeep and leave anything of value in it. Most folks with soft tops will tell you that they just don't leave anything in the Jeep of any value while they are away from the Jeep and that they don't even lock it. Some even go so far as to leave the glove box and console lids open, so people can see that there is nothing in there worth stealing.

You can mount 31 x 10.50 tires on a stock TJ with no lift at all.

Tomster

• Options
    Exactly as Tom said with regard to a soft top and tire size.

You might want to reconsider the Lojack given your experience with the Neon. Do you really want your Jeep located and returned to you after it's been taken for a joyride and stripped?.

Disposal of the Neon? Put it on eBay of course!
  • Options
    They've always been here.............just hidden away!

• Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    First, I empathize with the Sahara vandalism. W/in 5 weeks of buying my Jeep (my first new car ever), she got brutally vandalized. Tires slashed and windows sliced. Take comfort in knowing that it wasn't a random crime; turned out to be my girlfriend's ex. Ridiculous.

Segue to the question of security. Since my one isolated incident, nobody's messed with my Jeep, top up or down. And I live in L.A. Jeeps are vulnerable to be sure, but I think people are so used to seeing them topless they just take them for granted. For added security I did pay for the add-a-trunk.

About the shimmies, once (in a year and a half) that happened to me too. The vibration thru the steering wheel was so violent that I pulled over immediately. Turned out to be a fluke and never repeated. Could have been the road, but I don't think so. And I think about what could be wrong every time I drive a canyon highway.

Back to the Jeep Wave. I'm still bent about it. My new policy: if another Jeeper doesn't return the Jeep Wave I'm going to give them the Jeep Middle Finger. (just kidding -- I save those for people driving Hummers).

Finally, a weird Jeep thing. At LAX (L.A.'s airport) the parking pay booths have cameras to record all license plates, but they're set up for cars with trunks. Thus the Jeep is never framed up right and they make me back up. Every single time. So the other day, I stopped short of the booth to save them the trouble. The cashier had no idea what I was doing. We gestured at each other for a bit (sort of a Jeep Wave!) then I gave up. Sure enough, I was told to back up again, but by this time another car had pulled up behind me. Hilarity ensued. Can't they just assume that no Jeep driver is a terrorist? We wave at each other for cryin' out loud.

BTW, I just noticed there's a typo in my user name. Any way to edit it? I'm not an idiot, I swear.

And why is there a lemon icon in a Jeep group? Shoudn't those be in the Buick discussion group?

Peace out.

-Mike
  • Options
    About gas mileage. I get 200-225 miles per tank. Noticed the number dipped below 200 as I got near my service date. After getting the service, the number went up noticeably for a while.

Just got the new Jeep magazine Volume 4 Issue 1. All of a sudden that magazine has gotten really good.

-Mike
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Any way to edit it?

Unfortunately, no. :cry:

tidester, host
  • Options
    "................if another Jeeper doesn't return the Jeep Wave I'm going to give them the Jeep Middle Finger. (just kidding -- I save those for people driving Hummers)."

That's ok, it's hard to take offence at someone who takes over two years to notice a mis-spelling of his name!

• Options
    Uh, Mike, Mac owns a Hummer. So, should he consider himself to have been given the one finger salute by you??? :)

But, Mac has the REAL Hummer, not the H2, so you could say you only meant the finger was for the H2 owners.

Tomster

• Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I would recommend leaving it open with the soft top on. I leave mine open, glove box empty and unlocked and console empty and unlocked and have had no problems. Knock on wood. On my orher Jeeps I would often leave the top down all the time in good weather (night and day), nothing in the Jeep and also never had a problem. Perhaps just lucky. This was both in the City and out of the City. (Hartford Connecticut.) I have a quick and probably stupid question for other Jeep people out there. Anyone ever use the top sport bar (I think thats what Jeep calls it) to strap on and carry a light (60lbs) kyack or canoe ? I know its now supposed to be done but if its short and light someone might have some experience with this situation. Thanks and Go Easy, John Jeep wave is about 8 out of 10 in Conn.All the wave related messages got me into seeig how many folks out of 10 waved. One time 9 and one time 8 , so I guess its really 8.5. I am only sharing this on this site, my family would think I am going over the edge if they knew I was keeping track of waves . I wonder myself!!!!! John
  • Options
    Mac, how is the Red Dragon? J
  • Options
    I've been looking around at Hummers I see, and I now see them quite often. But I've only seen 1 H1 in the past couple of months (used to see a couple of them fairly often), and had forgotten just how much extra ground clearance they have, especially compared with the H2.

As far as security with a soft top - it's kind of pointless to talk about security in a vehicle with zippered windows.

Mike - I'm glad I don't fly much, having to back up every time would drive me nuts. If that's the way it works next time I fly out of LAX, I'll try to pack light, leave my car at work and take the bus. I wonder if they do the same thing at Burbank?
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    and don't worry about parking at the terminals!!!

-Paul

:P ;):blush: :shades:
  • Options
    I've carried 2 SOT kayaks for short distances on top of the sport cage with no ill effects. I've done this repeatedly for trips less than 10 miles and no more than 45MPH. Just secure the heck out of them and they'll be fine. I put a piece of foam pipe insulation down across the top of the windshield and then use a combo of heavy duty bungees and cinch straps. Since this picture was taken, we picked up a small utility trailer that is easier to use, but strapping them on top works fine as long as you're careful.

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/kayaksonjeep.jpg

HTH

-twylie
  • Options
    Today started poorly. I again saw a silver Jeep, this time an X. I waved to the young girl driving and got a befuddled stare in return. Sigh.

But then, I passed a well-worn CJ-5. Looking at my clean, new Sport, this guy probably had me pegged as a poser. But when he gave me a half-hearted salute, I eagerly, exuberantly, sharply waved back. My faith in humanity is restored.

-Mike
  • Options
    "..............I waved to the young girl driving and got a befuddled stare in return."

That's what usually happens to me........................and the look I get from my wife isn't too pretty either.
  • Options
    "Mac, how is the Red Dragon? J"

It's good thanks! I must get some pictures up though. While much bulkier than the Jeep it's hardly any taller. I need to do some comparison pics. It's like a giant go-kart to drive on the road, very wide and wheel at each corner!

In some ways it's a very crude vehicle with lots of exposed rivets and screws both inside and out. In others it's pretty high tech. Most people know that an LSD requires you to brake to get lockup if you lift a wheel. In a conventional vehicle this can be a problem as, (i) you can't always predict when a wheel is about to lift, and (ii) if it's a front you have to brake all four wheels, and if it's a rear you have to brake both of them. The system on the H1, called TT4, uses the ABS to brake only the individual wheel or wheels that start to spin!

Theoretically, a Wrangler with ABS could this, it would just require proper programming of the PCM (and factory LSDs of course!).
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I don't wave at girls in Jeeps. I think most of them think you're creepy if you do....*lol*

Don't get many waves in Memphis, I've all but stopped doing it.
  • Options
    I don't wave at girls in Jeeps. I think most of them think you're creepy if you do....*lol*

Don't get many waves in Memphis, I've all but stopped doing it.

Stop waving at other Jeeps??? NEVER! I will wave at other Jeeps as long as I am able to drive, even if I NEVER get a wave in return.

Tomster

• Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will only be going about 8 miles to fish. I am getting a fishing kayak-about 60 lbs. What do your kayaks weigh? Thanks again. I knew someone was carrying kayaks. I may opt for the lighter kayak that I am looking at for fishing (40 lbs). There is also company marketing a kaynoe. A cross between a kayak and canoe (sp) . Interesting concept. Go Easy, John
  • Options
    My SOTs weight about 45 lbs each, so 90lbs total. A single 60lb kayak will be fine. I'd say get the one that suits your needs the most and not to worry about the weight aside from being able to load and unload it by yourself. The ones that are loaded in that picture are actually pretty good for fishing. Stable enough to fish off of the side with your legs hanging off. We can actually climb back on top of them from open water by pulling ourselves back up onto them.

As far as what the sport bar will hold, we've perched on ours in the summer to watch fireworks. Ours is an older model that has a full soundbar instead of the sound pods on the newer models. Not a lot of structural support, but a wider surface to spread your weight onto when sitting on the center hoop.

I'd think you'll be fine for an 8 mile trip, just lash it down well and balance the weight across the center hoop and the windshield frame. <\disclaimer>

-twylie
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    "Stop waving at other Jeeps??? NEVER! I will wave at other Jeeps as long as I am able to drive, even if I NEVER get a wave in return".

I'm with Tom! I wave no matter what. John is right, the wave frequency is pretty high here (CT).

-Dan :shades:
  • Options
    I try to wave, but often I'm concentrating too much on driving and don't even notice what moving object is coming toward me. My other half never waves (I haven't managed to convince him that it's the proper thing to do).
  • Options
    Burbank's city parking enforcement officers all drive Jeeps. X models I think, with right side steering. We don't have to wave at them do we? It's not like they actually went out and bought a Jeep.

In the Jeep magazine, there's a pic of retro Jeep drivers gathered together at Normandy. I can't believe 60 years from now the Burbank traffic guys are going to get together with their city issue Wranglers.

-Mike
  • Options
    monica1063monica1063 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wanting to buy a Wrangler, but the best deals I have found are the 4 cyl ones. I also would have to have an automatic trans. The only time it would be taken off road would be on the beach.

I have heard the 6 cyl motors are near bullet proof, do the 4's hold up near as well?

Thanks,
    Monica
  • Options
    billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38