Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Cool! The last picture looks like you were also clearing space for any low-flying aircraft!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    he ran the boom and I pruned

That gives new meaning to the concept of off-roading! ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I guess that's "overroading"

it was fun,,

jeff
  • Options
    collapsednutcollapsednut Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I'm lookin into buying a CJ-7 to replace my weak YJ. I love the style of the YJ but its wimpy motor and drivetrain has driven me away and looking for better things. My dad suggested a CJ-7 from around.....86' I think. I'm just wanting to know what to look for when going through the IWANNA and what some of you think about the CJ-7(what years are the best,what motor,best mods, them type things). Any help would be thankfull.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Why not look in the other direction and consider a TJ instead of a CJ. You get the round headlamps, a much superior suspension, a fuel delivery system that allows the engine to run at any angle, and far less likelihood of getting a rusted frame or body panels.

An early TJ will probably be cheaper than a decent CJ as well. :)
  • Options
    holyrodentholyrodent Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a rebuilt or gently used 4 cyl. engine for my wife's 94 wrangler. We live in Oregon. Any leads?

many thanks,

Don
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One place to ask would be craigslist.org. They are set up for buying and selling.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well I did look into the new Rubicon series. They seem like a very good onroad and offroad Jeep with its Dana 44's and lockers but I'm a fan of the older Jeeps. I'm currently looking at a cj-7 I found with a rebuilt 258 v6 and a few upgrades. Price wise, it would probably be about the same for the cj-7(guy is sellin it to me for $3300) when I get it the way I want as it would cost to buy a new TJ. An older TJ..hum...can you get them stock with dana 44's? If so I might look into that( my axle thing here comes from rebuildin my YJ axles TO many times... 36" tires...). I do like the spring over suspension, if I do go with the cj-7 I will try to find a spring over conversion kit. One more thing, what kinda motors come stock for the older TJ's. The thing that draws me to the cj-7 is the 258 inline v6, very full of torque I'm told. Thanks for everyones help!
  • Options
    The D44 was, and is, an option for the TJ. The 4.0 I6 has always been the most popular engine and comes on the Sport, Sahara, 'X', Rubicon, and Unlimited, with the 2.5 I4 only being available on the SE base model.
  • Options
    Ok thanks alot, I think you've changed my mind on this. As I look at it, I do like the suspension and fuel delivery of a TJ. I wish I could keep my YJ but I just dont think I'll be happy with it even if I put a new motor, and drivetrain in it. I'm still a fan of the older Jeeps but the newer ones blow them away, and are easyer to find parts for. While we are in this talk...What do you think about the Unlimited? Is the wheelbase on them the same(or close) to the TJ and others? Just seems like a crazy idea for a long wheelbase version of a TJ. :confuse:
  • Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I think the Unlimited's extra wheelbase is desireable to some folks for the extra interior room. More space behind the rear seat offers extra stowing room, plus a lot of people with small children like the idea of more crumple zone in case of a rear-end accident. If you're more inclined to off-roading adventures, it may be less imporant to you. Plus the Unlimiteds were introduced in 2004 - - don't imagine the price will be where you want it! TJ's date from model year 1997. Do some searching on this forum, pre-2000 (??) 4.0L engines had some problems with the exhaust. Might want to make sure it's taken care of to avoid a $300-500 repair job. (my TJ's only a 4 cyl so I don't know details on this; several other do however!)

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Or if you need auto work done, they have a category in "services" for it. That's where I found the guy who just did my exhaust manifold replacement for $160. Oh how I love craigslist.org
  • Options
    barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Hey everyone again,

Well, after having my new pride n' joy for just over three months now, I figured I should change ALL(?) fluids since I will have her in for her second oil change probably this week (warranty calls for it every 3000k, plus, I'd do this as often anyway--so cheap, so beneficial). Also, I cannot be certain or confident that the previous owner had any of the less common ones done, such as the manual transmission. Well, my point is this; can you fellas offer some advice as what I should do (odometer reads 103 000 kms)--change them ALL (tranny, transfer case, axles, coolant, etc..), or just certain ones? As far as I know, judging by her condition, she's only been off road once, and by yours truly last week (during which I got into many fights with some mud--which, of course, my jeep won!). Also, does anyone know the price I can expect to pay (I do have a very good mechanic who I've been frequenting for years--honest fellow) for changing all of these fluids? Price is important, so prioritizing may be an issue as I am still a student making crappy money in the summer at a golf course to support my school/jeep. Not an awful lot left over. As always, any help and recommendations are appreciated.

Ryan
  • Options
    One more thing, what kinda motors come stock for the older TJ's. The thing that draws me to the cj-7 is the 258 inline v6, very full of torque I'm told.

It's the same engine chief, the old AMC I-6. It's just fuel-injected now, hence the loss of a few cubic inches. And it has gobs more torque now.
  • Options
    Unfortunately craigs is about half full of spam over here and I guess not enough people are flagging (they need to give me delete tools, lol). But when you hit a gem....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Is the wheelbase on them the same(or close) to the TJ and others?

Think CJ6 Scrambler.
  • Options
    No question, change them all. The fluids themselves are cheap, especially when compared to a tank of gas, probably around $50. Can't help on what your mechanic might charge but it really isn't hard to do it yourself.
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Lotsa posts for a weekend. Quick thoughts & then a question...

Nobody makes cars as bad as they used to in the seventies, but I will never forgive Ford for making the exploda-Pinto. My family had one, and as far as I'm concerned, Ford tried to kill me.

For my money, bullet proof cars were defined by the ol' Toyota Land Cruiser FJs. Never owned one, but I got really close before I bought my Wrangler. Oh, and my '81 Chevy Monte Carlo was definitely bullet proof (and stupidity proof).

Now the question. After a smash & grab in my building, the culprit was arrested and found to have what was deemed a Saturn master key. The implication being he had a master key to all Saturns. Do such keys exist for real? And is there one for the Wrangler?? (To be clear, I'm not looking to go out and get one, I'm just thinking defensively about how to protect against one.)

Thx,
    Mike
  • Options
    steve-o, I remember when you were wishing they would bring a Craigslist to your area. It takes time to catch on since they don't advertise, it's all word-of-mouth. I notice a lot of the people who use the one here in Raleigh are ex-Californians.

Things I've done gotten using Craigslist on both coasts: sold 1 car, bought 3 surfboards and later resold 1 of them, found a guy to do the header work on my Jeep, found a housemate in San Francisco in the middle of the housing crunch, went on 1 date via the personals section (boring girl though), gave away an extra bed we had, found some temporary workers for an election day exit poll I ran, and I'm sure some other stuff I can't remember. Never a bad experience yet.
  • Options
    I guess I wasn't expecting all the spam and was hoping for faster critical mass. Although there are lots of ex-Cali's here we still seem a few years behind the curve. No one bit on the few items I posted. There are a couple of mechanics posting, and I'm going to need an indy one of these days, so that may work out.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Thanks Mac...yeah, made an app't to get them ALL changed, everything in the manual...my mechanic said about $200 bucks, which I can live with...I could do most myself, but sadly, I have no where to do it...nonetheless, I'm getting it done on Thursday.

Thanks again!

Ryan
  • Options
    jack41jack41 Member Posts: 7
    Probably a stupid question, but here goes..I need a link or suggestion to a site that offers the "It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" windshield decals..got a new jeeper as a buddy and he is wanting one for his...
  • Options
    robbunrobbun Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,
    Im new to the forum, Im getting some good advice you are all so knowledgable I have a question for you. I just bought a 97 sport wrangler, with 105.000 miles had oil and tranny leaks took it in had the gaskets replaced and the guy told me that I would be needing a new tranny before long he said it could last 2 days or 2 years. I am not noticing any problems it shifts smooth but what else am i too look for? it is an auto 6cy. the guy quoted me between $2300 - $2500 HELP :cry: im poor and I always get taken for a ride, I think they see me coming.
  • Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    "It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"

Ebay has these.

I just looked and this is the item #

Hope this helps
  • Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    If this is your daily driver get a second opinion (this is free.)
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Definitely get a second opinion. My one experience with trannys was with a Nissan. Back in 1999 I paid $1400 for a used one installed, was quoted $1800 for a rebuilt one, and I didn't ask about how much a new one would be. Jeep trannys are pretty robust, it isn't a common problem. But any vehicle can develop tranny problems.

When the Nissan's tranny went, it wasn't so much that it shifted roughly as it was that it was reluctant to shift and sort of slipped under certain conditions (engine would rev but the vehicle wouldn't go faster). One day I was driving on Sepulveda Blvd. and it just wouldn't go when I put my foot on the gas. The engine revved, but it wouldn't turn the wheels at all.
  • Options
    dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    It appears that Wranglers don't come with ABS, even as an option. I couldn't find any mention of ABS on the Wrangler website. I was wondering if there's some technical reason they don't have such a basic safety feature. Is it incompatible with the 4wd or rockcrawling?
  • Options
    karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ... well my odometer finally passed the 3K mark so I need to get her in for an oil change soon. Do I have to take it to the dealership? Of course, both the dealership and the manual highly recommend doing so... but will a local oil change place know what to do in terms of a Jeep? What about the big chains (ie Jibby Lube, Oil Express, etc..)?
    Doing it at a local mechanic or a chain will save me both time and money, but I wanted to make sure they know what they're doing.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ABS has been available on various Wranglers since the advent of the YJ.

Currently it's just available on the Sport, as you can see if you click here (which takes you to the Jeep.com site), then click on 'Additional Options'.

It works very well, both on and off road, and has saved my butt a couple of times.
  • Options
    Changing the oil and filter is the simplest maintenance task........... so simple that you can do it yourself. :)
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Not to mention that sheer number of 4.0L inline sixes out there. Anyone changing oil sees them all the time...
  • Options
    I've got ABS too. I ordered it that way because I drove on a lot of snowy mountain roads when I bought it, and it's saved my butt too. Hardcore offroaders don't care for it but I only do light offroading anyway.
  • Options
    The linked article with sources in the Toledo Jeep plant says the new 07 Wrangler will get the CRD engine. Might even be worth waiting a year. Might even be legal in CA. It would be nice to know when its going to be available. Mid-year entry maybe??

Toledo Blade article from last week
  • Options
    It seems odd to me that Jeep offers ABS on only the Sport model, and its an option at that. Not even an option pkg on any other TJ model. For me this is a pretty significant issue, as is the gas tank location still behind the axle.
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I saw a unique Wrangler today. A 1990 with a green house in the bed. The owner ( male, 30's) put several inches of dirt in the bed and planted a combination of flowers, tomatoes, and plants. Every thing was growing all over the place. Rearview mirror was useless. He just arrived in Conn. from Calif. and was headed to Nefoundland, Canada. A kayak on the rack, a dog of undetermined breed riding shotgun and the Jeep was painted at least ten colors. He gave spray cans to his nephews before leaving Calif. and told them to have a good time. I noticed he had one General, one Goodyear and two unknown tires. Bike rack with a well worn mountain bike. He had a tent which attached to the Jeep somehow and a backpack on the floor in front of the Heinz 57 dog. I was happy to see that some folks still do a little adventuring. Go Easy, John
  • Options
    Who knows why DC offers the combination of options they do? Probably based on an algorithm using share price and phases of the moon. :P

Gas tank location has always been behind the rear axle. Doesn't seem to cause any recognized safety problems, and I don't know where else it would go.
  • Options
    I can't recall the last time time I saw a new vehicle offered without ABS; it must have been ten years ago. As for the gas tank, Ford learned a megamillion lesson about gas tank placement from the Pinto. At least Wrangler has some frame protecting the tank. These are probably not deal-breakers for me, but its just very surprising that Jeep, especially under D-C influence, still haven't integrated these fundamental items into the Wrangler.
  • Options
    Ok..just for grins and giggles..why do we keep referencing that this person is from "California" ?? That is not a curse you know !! Be patient..that is the "Native Calfornian" coming out !! LOL !
  • Options
    a1930forda1930ford Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out as much info as I can on the 231, 90 degree Dauntless Buick V6 engine. I have found some info from NOVAK regarding installing GM engines into the Jeep YJ Wrangler, '87-'95. However, this engine is actually going to be put into a 1930 Model A Ford to be run as a daily driver. Since many of you may have already done a swap or two of these engines in a Jeep, I am trying to find out about the engine and what tranny and rear end suits it best. I have met someone who did this several years back and I am thinking of doing the same thing in the near future. I am looking for an engine that has the least amount of computer gizmo stuff on it.

I guess part of my info needed is really geared to finding out just what the weight is of the engine and tranny. I don't really forsee a lot of problems with installing it into a Model A frame that will be boxed, but what is your take on such? I am looking for any tips and great advise for when I take on such a project. It will be a few months down the line, as the car is presently in storage. I am in the planning stage only at present, but hoping to use as much donor parts as possible to keep the project as "low buck" as possible.

I know this question is a bit odd, but since the Jeep frequently uses the 231 in swapping from a 258, I thought you gals/fellows may have some useful insight and could at least point me to somewhere that would if you do not.
    Thanks,
    Huey
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    To quote the ole' Tomster.....YEEHAWWWWWW!! ...lol

I went to the Paragon Adventure Jeep Jamboree in Western PA this weekend and had an absolute blast!! The folks that ran this event couldn't have been nicer or more organized. Their hard work made this trip very enjoyable. All the trail guides were there as volunteers and did an incredible job.

As this was my first time off-roading, I stuck to the lower level trails. For being "low level" trails, we got into quite a bit of mud, rocks and long hill climbs.
    I can proudly say that I never got stuck once. Who would've thought that going 1mph could be so much fun :)

I was absolutely amazed at the capability of this vehicle. I know I've heard it a million times on this board, but you don't understand until you experience it for yourself. Having it in 1 Low going down a steep hill was amazing. I love that I didn't have to touch the brakes and creeped and inched down hill while going over decent size rocks, roots stumps..etc.. The torque is amazing, I idled over most of the obstacles.

My Jeep is pretty much stock with a few exceptions:
    31" BFG AT
    JKS Quick disconnect sway bar links
    Skid Row Engine / Oil pan skid plate (installed this just before the trip and I'm glad I did. It got plenty of use!!)
    Bushwacker rocker guards (also installed these before the trip. I went the cheap way and got what I paid for....PLASTIC. Luckily it didn't matter, I don't think the rockers touched anything. none-the-less I still plan on buying rockers made of STEEL for next time)

That's right, there will absolutely be a NEXT time. Tom you're right I'm hooked.
    I don't plan on doing any crazy mods, the low level trails are fine for me for now. Although, I do see the advantage of lifts now, even small ones.

Well, I've rambled on quite a bit.... I'll let pictures do the talking for me.
    Check out my Yahoo photo album. The pics that start with "me" are of my Jeep.
    You can also check out the "My Jeep" album for some "before shots".

http://photos.yahoo.com/danleone_99

-Dan

My Jeep is too muddy to hug, so no I haven't. :P
  • Options
    I wonder if that Jeep driver was planning on returning to California - that green house could get him in trouble. However, now that the state is so financially strapped, they no longer man the agriculture inspection stations for cars any more (though they are still across the I-15).
  • Options
    It often only takes one time off-roading to get you hooked. And now you're making me jealous - it sure sounds like you had an awesome time. Oh well, one of these days...
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Thanks for sharing the pictures,, and you got lots of great pictures.

jeff
  • Options
    For warranty purposes, you should keep your receipts and perhaps a maintenance log so you can prove to your dealer that all required maintenance was performed in case a question arises about warranty coverage.

A mobile greenhouse eh? I could see my wife driving around in one of those.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I wonder what kind of plants he has in his greenhouse. You know how Californians love their herbs. :)
  • Options
    Nothing more than oregano I'm sure.

Forgot to link this:

Chrysler Reveals Two New Jeep Concepts (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Dan:

CONGRATS on your first off roading! See, I TOLD you how much fun it was! :)

Just saw your post, but it's time for me to go to work, so I can't take time to view your pics right now. Will do so from work and will probably have more to say then.

Glad you had so much fun. Those Jambo's are a very good way for folks to get started wheelin'.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    Don't go "stereotyping" us..some of us just love 4 wheelin / huntin' / and talkin' in the JEEP forum ! :)
  • Options
    Thanks..but he isn't going to hook up with ebay..and I have been forbidden (wife) from even looking in there ! :cry:
  • Options
    A few days ago someone asked for info about on putting a diesel engine in a Jeep. If you're still around, check the current "Jp" magazine; it has an article on diesels discussing both the Jeep CRD engines and diesel conversions.