Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Navigation System Questions

Comments

• I bought 2009 navigation update dvds. It comes 1 for set up, and 2 map dvd.
    What i did, i installed map dvd first, and what i suposed to do is to install set up first. Now i got the message. Invalid dvd when i put set up dvd first. Tried to unplug the battery, and still comes that message. It will not recognize my 2005 dvd too. When i put 2009 dvd it will recognize, but will display old 2005 map. Does somebody knows how to fix it.
  • achuprin, my advise would be to return the 2009 maps, tell Acura they didn't work. Take the $200 and buy either a Garmin Nuvi 750 ($200/Costco) or Nuvi 760 ($250/Walmart) you will have twice the GPS unit, plus it will be portable so you can use it in pedestrian mode, rental cars, where ever. Both of these NUVI's speak street names and directions "Turn left on Anderson Street" "Arriving at the Art Museum on left" etc.
    The Nuvi 760 has a FM transmitter, MP3 Player, Bluetooth, so you can wirelessly play all you music loaded on the MP3 player over your stereo and when someone calls in, their voice will come through your audio speakers. The features of the Bluetooth blows away what the Acura's offers. Phone book, call history, etc.
    Good Luck.
  • I'm in the Army and station in Germany. I would like to know where I can get software for Germany that will work on my Nav system, 2004 Acura MDX
  • My Navi died a few months ago and Acura wanted $3500.00 to replace it or $700 to repair it. The part that broke is the DVD unit under the passenger seat. I have seen these online for a few hundred bucks... Does anyone know where I get get one for my '03 MDX. I always seem to find them for other years. I would love to get the navi working again, we used it all the time. If anyone has any info please pass it along, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • david169david169 Posts: 2
    Considering a 2009 MDX.

How well does Acura handle technical support to their 2009 MDX navigation system?
    How are GPS updates handled ?
    Is their truth to rumor that several other 2010 Acura vehicles have updated GPS systems and thus MDX make get a upgrade??

Thank you.
  • mannynmannyn Posts: 7
    Does anyone knows how to download phone # from Blackberry to MDX phone book.

I am able to receive incoming calls thru blue tooth but not able to make outgoing calls.

Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    The 2010 will likely get the new HDD system found in the 2009 TL. The HDD system is much better and has a 8.0" screen at 800x480 resolution which is much better than 480x234. It comes with a 40 GB HDD and 12.4 GB is allocated to the music server. You can't rip mp3's to it. You can rip audio CD's to it and it has gracenote CDDB. The Gracenote CDDB updates are recommended and they are free or at a very low cost. The Map updates on the other hand you have to pay for them. You insert a DVD into the system and it will ask for a security code. Then you update them. It will transfer the data on to the HDD. It takes about an hour or 2. Maybe less.

The 2010 MDX will likely have the scenic routing feature where you can choose a more scenic route.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    actually Pioneer makes some of the best nicest all in one nav audio head units for cars. In fact for anyone with a broken nav unit I would suggest maybe just replacing it with one of the newer Pioneer all in one units. you may lose some integration with the mdx but you can gain other features and possibly a larger screen and hard drive etc.
    oh no, I hope the 2010 MDX doesn't get that sweet sounding nav update because I didn't even think about the interior and when I saw spy photos of the 2010 mdx showing its basically just getting a new grill and suspected to just get the Plenium grill of the TL that most dont like. personaly i dont think its that bad on the TL but wouldn't want it on the MDX.

so with inventory running out of the MDX and a really good deal that I was able to get I went with the 2009. I didnt lease it but might be worse that I bought because I will automatically lose money after I drove it off the lot plus already put 400 miles on it.

oh well, I guess I would be able to get decent money back for it from the same dealer if i really want the 2010? how much can they really take off if i just have it for like a month till the 2010 comes out and put a few miles on it. I guess a lot, ugh, enough to not make it worth doing.

I used to have a portable xm player that worked in the car, on the go and in the house all on one device and paying one xm account. otherwise you ahve to pay for your xm/sirius and then for another unit in your house or portable.

The best feature of it was that it coudl record xm radio so if you heard a song you liked you could record it to its storage and listen to later like when you have no xm signal or going througha car wash or tunnel or something.

someone told me that bmw had that ability with their integrated sat radio that you could record the song to a built in hard drive.

you didn't mention this with the 2010 mdx but just the fact alone that it has a Hard drive makes me want to have waited. although iw ould want to store mp3s not just rip cds. i imagine you put the audio cd in the 6 disc in dash cd changer and then an option to pull the tracks off the cd to store to the built in hdd so you dont need to have that cd in anymore to listen to it so you could essentially have 6 cds in and then many others stored to the hdd? that isn't bad but yeah i'd want mp3 storage and playback like a lot of the aftermarket Pioneer units use and i understand that the 2009 mdx is a pioneer unit.

maybe the 2009 can be upgraded with the 2010 unit or other aftermarket Pioneer nav and audio all in one units with hdd and still work with the integrated mdx controls?

the higher resolution sounds great especially for when you watch a movie on the front screen which I am still trying to figure out how to do on the 2009 mdx which i could do on my previous 2006 suv.

Also if the 2010 front nav screen is 8" what is the 2009? it does seem smaller even then TL's prior to 2009 even, like my wifes 2006 TL seems ot have a bigger NAV screen plus its closer to you in the dash not set back which makes the mdx's seem even smaller.

40gb hdd isn't bad but only 12gb for music?

it doesn't sound amazing, but def a little bit of an upgrade from the 09. Again I hope there is a way to pu tthe 2010 nav audio unit in a 2009 or better yet an aftermarket Pioneer unit that is even better then what they are putting in the 2010 with other features and larger hdd but still somehow work with the 09's controls. i guess that is asking too much.

all i know is a few friends of mine have Pioneer aftermarket all in one head units with huge screens and hard drives and it can store music and movie/video files for play back on the screen also so if i can get something like that installed into the 09 mdx that would be great but i know certain dash's just dont lend themself to an aftermarket nav audio all in on head unit and i'm thinking the 09 mdx kind of doesnt'.
    and of course the dealerships claim they dont know anything about the 2010 MDX and if you ask they will just say its not changing or adding anything because they want to sell you the 2009 and not wait for the 2010.

i kind of just wanted to believe it wasn't adding anything and was afraid it was just getting the ugly Plenium grill so took my chances and got an 09 before they ran out since there are hardly any left instead of risking waiting for the 2010 mdx only to find i didn't like it and could get the 09 i like better for less but then find there are none left in the color and packages i wanted.

but now i realized I didn't think about the interior upgrades and didn't hear anything about it till now.

I will just have to check it out when it comes out and if I really really like it better then the 09 will just have to hope the dealer buys it back from me for a good price based on what i bought it for and gives me a similiarly good price on the 2010 but somehow i think that woulnd't work out so well I would lose more money then it would be even be worth changing to the 2010 ultimately just for a larger nav screen and possibly uglier grill.
    "2010 MDX: Expect a Mid-Model Change with new front and rear ends with a slightly modified interior, expect shuffling of the trim levels and colours and expect a possible V8 engine from the 2010 RL if produced."
    http://hondavehicles.blogspot.com/2007/07/20092010-model-changes.html

says nothing about getting the new hdd system found in the 09 TL or the 8.0 800x480 res screen.
    Of course not but it might happen. I've seen a pic of the 2010 MDX and it looks quite nice. It has the power plenum but the front end is a bit like the 09 TL but the Power plenum grille isn't as ugly as though. In fact it looks quite nice on the MDX. No v8 engine though. The RL has been delayed due to the economy. As for a v8, there is no time table for such an engine. The HDD system seems likely since the previous MDX facelifts have had upgraded nav systems. The new NAV system has the 800x480 display which makes it look so much nicer along with the improved hardware.
    if you've seen a pic you should share otherwise noone believes.
    My description is quite accurate of the pic. You can believe me m'kay. The front end looks like the current MDX meets the 09 TL.
  • We have an '09 Tech but my wife is not too hot on the Navi.

The main problem is that when she searches by name it pulls up stuff all over the US (rather than just nearby). Apparently this works correctly when searching by category but is useless when trying to search by name. The categories are confusing and overly broad sometimes.

Anyway...does anyone know a workaround for this?
    You could retrofit it but it will be expensive.
  • buyusedbuyused Posts: 11
    I have had the same trouble on occasion; it once took me 20 minutes to find the nearest drug store on the system and only 10 to get there. (Oh if the Early Pioneers could hear us bitching...)

I learned to treat it like early internet searches...think early Google... if it gets confused, just broaden your search and narrow it down.

Good luck.
  • hodog16hodog16 Posts: 53
    I usually like searching in the categories and city vicinity so I can avoid searching for restaurants that are 3000+ miles away. I will agree that's an annoying feature. Another way around is to look up the phone number of the place you are trying to find if that is available.

x5killer: Once your car was titled and figuratively "driven off the lot" the value dropped by a few thousand probably, no matter how many miles you have put on it. Unless the 2010's are incredible, I'd just be content with the 2009 and if nothing else wait until the overhaul coming in 2012 for the MY2013!
    The new HDD navi system found in the 09 TL is actually made by Pioneer. You'll need to buy a mapdisc at acuranavi.com and they've found a way to limit piracy. You have to enter a code to activate the map update. You can only use it on 1 system at a time. This eliminates the ebay market for 2nd hand map updates. The new NAV only has a single disc CD/DVD-A slot. You only can rip audio discs. The 09 MDX NAV is made by Alpine.

The external DVD drive is no longer present in the new system. It's now integrated into the radio. The new Pioneer units are flash memory based. The 09 MDX uses an 8" screen but at a lower resolution. The new system doesn't have a plug and play method to play DVD's on the front screen yet.

All I can say is that it won't be a cheap retrofit. However they might just cheap out and keep the current system but upgrade it to include XM weather, USB/iPod, and Bluetooth audio.
    so the 2010 nav system is made by Pioneer while the 09 is Alpine? damn, Pioneer is much better from what I know and makes the best head units with hdd, nav and everything.

what do you mean by the external dvd drive? you mean for the nav , the dvd drive under the seat? what about for dvd res? there is still a sep dvd slot up front and other slot for cds right? The 09 has an 8" screen and the 2010 is going to have a higher res but you didnt' say what size screen? same smaller or larger?

"The new system doesn't have a plug and play method to play DVD's on the front screen yet. " meaning the 2010?

so the 2009 does have a way to view the dvd on the front screen? how?

with my last midsize suv the edmunds owners forum for it was so great and ppl shared all the tips and tricks and modifications etc. you could view the dvd on the front nav screen when the parking break was engaged so you could just engage that one click which didn't actually engage the parking brake but allowed you to view the movie on the front screen while driving (for the front seat passenger) or you could disengage the wire for which was a failry simple mod and it also turned off the daytime running lights which was burnign some ppls bulbs out.

there was a failry easy way to disengage the seatbelt chime and there was 200 ppl on the thread saying that you shouldn't do that and seatbelts save lives. every thread i searched on the internet on how to disable the acura seatbelt chime was 100's of ppl saying how you should wear yourseabelt and big flame wars debates and arguments which is so annoying. noone asks for that opinion. we know its important to wear your seatbelt at all times. but when i'm pulling in my garage or parking my car i dont need to hear the annoying chime. we should ahve the right to turn it off we choose and discuss it without ppl making it a seatbelt debate. its the law in many states so there is no discussion on whether you should wear it. its not like disabling the chime disables the seatbelt itself.

i'm sure there is a way and just wish ppl could share that info without others chiming in their 2 cents on the debate of seatbelts. again its a chime, not disabling the belt itself.

so yeah long story short. how can we on the 09 mdx:
    1. view on the front nav screen the dvd playing on the res?
    and
    2. disable the seatbelt chime.

i think those are my biggest nav and tech questions.

as far as the 09 to 2010 comparision, i asked some good questions about your post which hopefully you rv65 and/or others can answer but ultimately the more i find that is actually a decent minor upgrade of the 2010 ill just make myself annoyed I didn't wait and in the meantime i've been enjoying my 09 since may and got a great price before the inventory really and before the 10 comes out.

like someone else said, at this point i should just wait for the new redesign overhaul in 2012 for 2013 my and probably even wait till 2013 when the 2014's comes out so i can get he 2013 being the first year of the redesign for less. plus ppl will think 2013 is an unlucky number so you will probably be able to get good deals on the 2013 though sometimes with the first year of a new redesign they work out a few kinks in the next couple model years so not always the best to get the first year of a major redesign/overhaul
    The new nav uses an 8.0" WVGA display. There is no DVD drive under seat with the new system. It's all integrated into the head unit. The Pioneer system is nice but the HFP isn't quite as good as the current one.
    ah ok so same size screen just wvga so its higher res. What is HFP?
  • grandzugrandzu Posts: 25
    Prob hands free phone.
    I can now confirm that the 2010 is getting the next gen HDD navi system with the WVGA display. It won't be a cheap retrofit though. If someone could pull that off then it would be amazing.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    What's the procedure and cost for updating the maps in these HDD nav systems?

Also, do you know if the 2010's audio system will still be able to play DVD-Audio disks?
    oh thanks for that pic though its just a rendered drawing and a blurry one at that
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?image=832857/2010mdx-01.jpg

doing a comparison with that and a pic of the 09
    http://www.acuraofnorthtoronto.com/au/files/905ACURANORTHTORONTO/acura%20mdx%202- .bmp

the main thing I notice besides the grill is those large air intakes which are pretty cool. somewhat porsche like. overall though i dont like the new front end. the headlights seem the same, the grill is plain ugly and weak with just a top piece and then either open at the bottom or black grill underneath the metal plenum grill. smaller A

looks like they kept the fog lights mostly teh same size which is good they didnt' make them smaller but they are recessed which I dont like. it just looks weaker overall.

only thing I like is those air intakes but overall still lik the 09 front end better.

thanks for the pic.
    Yes the 2010 will play DVD-Audio Disks

For the 2010 model year they increased the HDD size. Now it's a 60 GB unit that stores up to 15 GB of Music.

This is all preliminary but I think you insert a DVD into the slot and it will update it. However this will take about an hour and then you have to enter a security code meaning you'd have to do it once. Hope this helps.
    x5killer,

Retrofitting the new nav is feasible but it would take a lot of work. You'd have to replace the rear DVD screen if your car has it, replace the radio and ditch the DVD drive, new screen, replace the HFP, and possibly replace the backup camera module. I think you can use the same camera but not sure. It would be a very expensive upgrade.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    rv65, thanks for the information.