Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• apptunapptun Posts: 18
    I have an 02 Tundra with the V8 and 4x4. I tow a 16 foot stock trailer about 5000 miles per year. The weight of the trailer loaded is just shy of 6000 pounds. I have checked it on a truck scale. That said, I get around 10 mpg average when towing. I get about 16 when not towing. The trailer barely fits under a 9 foot door on the machine shed. It is not aerodynamic in any way. I have frequently considered making the upgrade to a diesel .If you calculate my towing distance per year, the thought quickly passes. It would never even come close to breaking even. If I towed the majority of my driving miles then I would probably upgrade. My trailer has electric brakes and the truck has a set of timbrens on the rear springs.If you utilize some common sense there is not any drama.Thanks.
  • If you drive on low traffic roads and want to coax the MPGs out of this truck it can (in my case anyhow) deliver 22.0 MPG (US gal.) on relatively flat ground (hills, but no major mountain climbs). I was usually at the speed limit (55) but had to go slightly above and below to get the truck beyond the 18.0 EPA mark. I found that the throttle position was the key, gaining speed downhill and using as much coasting as possible uphill. That being said, the tundra is a rocket of a truck and most drivers will be happy to get the 16-17 highway with a heavier foot. I am on the company dime when i drive and rent my truck for a mileage rate. I turned 160 dollars above fuel expenses over 440 miles and added 2 hours at the most to the time. I am happy to take it a bit slower for the extra cash, no tickets and taking the time charged to clients/contractors for obeying posted limits(against the law for em to complain that a driver takes to long provided the speed limit/hour matches the distance). That and the roads to some of my job sites are about as bad as can be and front ends tend to go out really quick taking jumps at 80 plus.

As to whether I will try to shoot for 22.0 (currently the best i could pull off with real effort, and not likely to be reproduced as a rule) or just set the speed to 55 and get 18-19 MPG is going to take some time to work through.

Either way this truck dominates my companies old 2001 Chev silverado HD in the fuel department. It would rarely yield more than 350 miles on the same tank, often less.

Love the truck, and i really can't fault anyone for only getting 15-17 on the highway because its a lot of fun hammering past the other half tons (did it a fair bit in the demo) but i am not ragging my engine till its been broken in.
  • Just went over 3000 today . I have recorded and calculated my mileage every tank . The truck (RCLB 4x4) had about 75 miles on it when I got it so for the 2928.3 miles that I recorded I used 174.6 gallons for an average of 16.78 mpg . This is on my daily route as a general contractor . Alot of 35-55 mph stuff . No real city driving but no extended highway either . I'm extremely pleased with the combo of performance and economy . I drove my f-150 '02 4.6ltr on the same route and could barely average 15 .
  • ltdan2ltdan2 Posts: 17
    i just got back from sturgis drove 3217 miles from n. ga. to s.d. & back averaged 14.7 mpg round trip. my truck has 5.7,longbed,4wd,loaded gear for 2 guys,slidein 8ft.truck camper [loaded wt.of camper1750 lbs]12ft. trailer,2 h-d roadkings.best tank ms.flatlands16.3 worst tank n. ga. over monteagle in tenn.12.7. impressed with perfor.&handling the whole trip,damn good for 1/2 ton truck ,frend on trip was a retired g.m. worker his statement was if gm didn't pay his nut for the rest of his life he would buy toyota! he's loyal to his employer of 35 yrs.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    Just drove from Minneapolis to Chicago suburb and got exactly 20.25mpg. Was 90% expressway. :)
  • eric102eric102 Posts: 122
    Wow! 16.5 on my first tank, mostly city and medium speed rural. I'm surprised it did that well on a green engine with alot of time spent parked at idle playing with the gadgets. Never could do better than 12 with my old F250 diesel.
  • mikonmikon Posts: 7
    I have had 6 Toyota trucks dating back to 1981, still have four of them, latest is a 2006 Tundra Double-Cab Limited. All of them continued to improve on mileage up to 60,000 miles. IMPORTANT: After 10,000 miles, I switched to synthetic oil (Castrol Syntec, or Mobil-1 extended mileage) and achieved an average of 1.5 mpg increase on every one. That adds up to a substantial savings in gasoline cost.

Regarding the new 5.7 liter Tundra in towing:
    Because the intelligent variable valve timing achieves >90% of peak torque over >60% of the RPM range, and the peak torque of 401 ft-lbs exceeds that of Ford, Chevy and Dodge (including the Ford F-250 and Chevy 2500 diesels, see the latest Consumer Reports write-up), the achievable mileage while towing any given load up to the vehicle's limit should be superior for the Tundra relative to its competition.
    Towing 2200 lbs with either my 2000 Tundra SR-5 or my 2006 Limited, I tend to forget the trailer is even there.
  • tank5tank5 Posts: 10
    Hi: I have a 2007 double cab with the 4.7 motor. In a effort to get better MPG I'm thinking od adding a 5" rear and 2" front lowering kit. I bellieve that this will increase MPG and experience with lowering kits or real world experience?

Franko
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Don't think you will save enough to offset cost.
  • Trailerboats towing mpg 8.1 mpg at 65mph towing a Sea Ray 220 sundeck empty.

In our “Double Nickels” scenario, we towed a Sea Ray 220 Sundeck completely empty, and covered its bow and cockpit to reduce drag. We made sure the boat and trailer were level with the truck, and checked that all the tires were filled to their recommended psi. We also never drove faster than 55 mph on our test route.

In our “Speedy” scenario, we kept the same setup, but drove 65 mph instead of 55. This change in speed will answer whether it’s worth resisting the temptation to travel at the rate you are accustomed to when not towing.

In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we really messed with our rig. First we dropped the air in the Tundra’s tires to 25 psi, down from their original 35 psi. Then we took off the Sea Ray’s covers, and even latched the door separating the bow area from the cockpit for some extra wind resistance. Finally, we added 500 pounds of weight to the boat, in the form of a dozen 5-gallon buckets filled with water. The 220 Sundeck has a 50-gallon fuel tank, so this weight is the equivalent of driving with a full tank of gas and 200 extra pounds of gear.

The Tundra’s computer confirmed what we experienced on our test route. In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we achieved only 8.0 mpg, compared to 9.3 and 11.1 mpg for our “Speedy” and “Double Nickels” circuits, respectively. The actual numbers showed the trip computer was being a little generous, however. Our data, based on gallons burned and the miles we traveled, showed only 7.3 mpg for the “Does It Matter?” loop, 8.1 mpg for the “Speedy” scenario (an 0.8 mpg or 11 percent improvement), and 9.9 mpg for the “Drive 55” setup (a 2.6 mpg or 36 percent improvement).
  • tank5tank5 Posts: 10
    Hi: Does any one have real world experience with putting a 2" front, 5" rear lowering kit on a 2007/8 2wd Tundra? I beleive that with a less large profile to the air the truck should get better gas mileage.

Any info"

Franko
  • i have an 07 with the 5.7 4x4 and just recently took it on a trip to virginia beach from pa. once on the highway i was keepin a an average mph of about 85, with the occasionall race against some poor sports cat owner...lol i got 19.2 on two tanks. i drive in the mountains alot and on average there i get around 14.4. ive been checkin it every fill up just to see if babying the thing will help. the only advantage ive seemed to find out is to very slowly get up to speed, that saved 2.5 on the mountain driving. i also tow a 29' toy hauler camper wieghing in around 75lbs. loaded. the truck doesnt even know its there. now the gas mileage dropped to around 12ish but whos counting.. im just now gettin ready to hit 10,000 mls.and the only thing i dont like about it is that the rear tires are already shot and they suck badly in the snow!
  • you wont even know that trailer is behind you if you get an 5.7 eng. the truck just pulls like no tomorrow. i your gas mileage is alil rough, i get around 12.5 on a good mixture of highway and backroads on the mountains. it will hadle very well and stop even better. i haul a 29' toy hauler and it weighs around 7500 lbs loaded . there is nothing i can complain about except the need for a larger gas tank...
  • Having owned several Silverados, I was pretty disappointed with the 16mpg I'm getting with this Tundra. I still own the 2001 Z71 Extended Cab with a 5.3 Vortex, which gets the 16mpg in the same driving conditions. For what I gave up in cab size, I'm not sure I made the right choice unless someone can tell me what can be done to get the Tundra's mpg up into 19-20 range. Any help is appreciated.
  • 1972ck1972ck Posts: 56
    I recently purchased a 2008 Tundra D-Cab, SR5 w/ the 5.7 liter V8 w/ the 6spd. auto. tranny. 1st tank of fuel went fairly quickly. I averaged 13.8 mpg. Now that the truck has some miles on it and has broken-in. The truck has been averaging 16.9 mpg. I drive some back roads and then some highway getting to work daily. If I take it easy on the highway the mileage goes to 20 mpg. Getting stuck in traffic takes it's toll on fuel economy. (as to be expected) I took a 60 mile round trip on the freeway the other day and got 19.8 mpg. average w/ the cruise at 65 mph. I live in New England and we have plenty of hills. The highway has a lot of changes in grade.
    I towed my snow machine the other day and the digital read out was at 16.4 mpg. Not bad for towing a 600 lb. trailer and a 400 plus pound sled in 4x4 through slushy snow. Also of note I plow my driveway and my neighbors down the road with my new Tundra. Believe it or not the fuel economy did not suffer much. Even with the truck in 4WD the whole time and the steel blade Fisher attached to the front.
  • car25car25 Posts: 7
    I am getting 14.4 mpg for driving hilly mountains and country roads PA w/t 2008 Tundra 4x4 DC with 5.7 engine.

Worst I have seen was 13.2 mpg, but that was enjoying the 381 HP. Hope get´s better when further broken in, currently at 2500 miles.
  • goduckgoduck Posts: 1
    :sick: :sick: i have a 04 tundra that i got new in aug 04 and i have always kept track of my mileage the very best was15 mpg on i-5 between sac and the grapevine on c/c the whole way each fill-up on that strech was the same no better . now inthe city 11mph tops .it sucks the dealor says its the gas, its the way i drive, its this its that well i have tried every thing to get 12 mph no way no how . any ideas out there before i get rid of it ? i really like this truck put cant aford to feed it. :cry:
  • 08 2wd Double Cab 4.7ltr / 5spd auto.
    Worst mileage: 15.3
    Best mileage: 21.2
    Average (over the past 13k miles). 19.2

I have a K&N Air Filter in it and change the oil every 3k with Castrol 5w30. Usually use Texaco or Chevron fuel if it is available.
  • 2008 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 L

3000 miles

Just completed 360 mile trip all highway with a few on & offs Avg speed 70 mph.

19.4 MPG
  • The most effective way to improve gas mileage is give your engine all the air it can handle and the fastest way of getting rid of exhaust.

Cold Air Intakes, RAM Air Hoods and CAT Back Dual Exhausts.

Do your research and you won't sacrifice your quiet ride but, you'll have a very noticeable HP increase and higher mpg only if you can keep your foot from the thrill of stomping on the gas.