Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• Options
    jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    It appears from spy pictures that Acura really did diminish the styling of the TL. I plan to keep my '04 until Acura or Honda provides a mid-sized hybrid sedan. From my perspective, the 2008 Accord V-6 is more attractive and a better value than the styling, additional weight (I assume), and higher price of 2009 TL. The truck opening appears smaller, which is the opposite direction that I expected Acura to move. I wonder who Acura expects to purchase the TL? Waiting for RL redesign.
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Thanks Slim, all these previews is leaning me more towards the Lexus GS but I will wait until I see the final product.
  • Options
    logic2klogic2k Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, the more I see, the more I like and dislike. It looks cool but not that sporty. I have a 06 and I missed out on a few of the 07/08 upgrades.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Sorry-looking butts, weight gain. :cry: Of course, that also applies to humans as we morph from one generation to the next! :sick:
  • Options
    ex007ex007 Member Posts: 13
    wow, that is one ugly TL. not only does it have the simply awful Acura uninose, it has an absolutely ugly tail. good grief, who is designing Acuras now? I've owned Honda/Acura products for 30+ years, am in the market for a new car and there is nothing that is remotely tempting to buy right now. guess it's time to look at Lexus.
  • Options
    I agree with you re Acura & Honda, but the only model from Lexus that's any interesting is the IS350 or the IS-F, unless you want a full luxury barge like the LS land yacht.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    I agree. I take the Evil Wife's RX300 to the dealer for free wash and muffins, wander around the showroom and just nothing interests me. Not even the IS350, I prefer the G35 (and my TL, of course). Now, the rumoured IS hardtop convertible, that's something that might pique my interest...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I drove the G and I like it! Now it's a Bimmer or a G'er for me in a few months. Considering the $9K savings, that would just about do it for me!

I am leaning that way. However, BMWFS just sent me a pay forward offer for 3 month lease payments for a 2008 in stock. Decisions, decisions.

The TL is along shot in my choices but will wait to see the refresh before I pull the trigger...it will be sad to loose that scalpel-like steering...

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I'm anywhere from 6 months to infinity away from my next ride. But, if it was end of the year for me to buy (not having yet driven any of 'em), I'd be testing the Audi A/S5, BMW 3 (possibly 'vert), Jag XF (and if I decide to raid the kids college funds, the XK). Probably the G and maybe just to compare/contrast an IS350. And, the TL although I hate to repeat... MPG will, as always, be a consideration...

Happy 4th, y'all!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Hmmm...Iwas consideirng the XF but skittish on quality and price tag. Just got banged for second set of braces for the older ED (Evil Daughter). At 14, this is the 4th or 5th year of progressive ortho. She doesn't fit in the back of the G coupe and I do not want to start Chiropratic anytime soon!

I was in the 335i for a day so I now what I would be missing. The G is real nice for the value proposition. The TL you have I always liked but the bimmer stole me with the whole car becomes you thing in'06. It really did it for me but the price rise to me is too much now and too similar to repeat. I feel the same way as you and reason why I leased to experience the change.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I can fully understand your love for your ride. As I can for anyone who enjoys the car they bought. I just can't understand folks who insist that you are wrong, you bought the wrong car!

The XF is really getting quite lovely reviews. I agree that I've spent all of my life not even considering buying (mass market) British or Italian cars (the whole, "Prince of Darkness" and "Fix it again, Tony!" thing). But Ford seems to have at least allowed Jag to pull their quality/reliability act together from what I've read and heard (co worker has an X-type, no issues to report). I wouldn't buy this first model year XF, but maybe towards the end of '09. If all goes well (I'm talkin' to you, Wall Street!!!). Still, that XK is so purty...

• Options
    It might be me but I don't remember have 2 such svelte looking jags to choose from at the same time.

Always liked one of the other until now. 2 real nice pieces in the XF and XK.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Muffins! All they have at Acura is day-old donuts everytime I go..............
  • Options
    Lexus dealer moved to a monstrous new facility (I've nicknamed, "The Lexus Plantation."). Built a cafe area with a bar serving drinks, muffins, bagels and more. All served by attractive young ladies... Big flat screen, children's waiting area, gas fireplace. Home away from home...

NIce place to wait whilst the Evil Wife's RX is washed. But, currently, no Lexi interest me. Waiting for the IS 'vert...

• Options
    vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    The back-end of the 09 TL looks like it belongs on the front end of something... You won't be able to tell if this thing is going forward or backward.

No thanks, I think the current TL, especially the type S is much more of a looker. For those looking for a new TL, grab an 08 while you still can. In the long run you'll be happy you did.

Hopefully the front end on the new generation TL won't look like a beaver either but that's the way Acura seems to be going these days. Sad indeed!
  • Options
    "All served by attractive young ladies..."

Go no further. I'm sold! :P
  • Options
    i wound not take an 08 if they were giving them away especially the type S-overpowered FWD. I had the 03 type s and it was a disaster in the snow,
  • Options
    "I had the 03 type s and it was a disaster in the snow,"

Well, so is a BMW M3, but I'll take one of those!
  • Options
    sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    I've got an 07 type S up here in Manitoba and you just need to put winter tyres on to make it driveable.....
  • Options
    Ditto, my '05 TL was uber-disappointing in the snow. Finally gave up and put Dunlop Wintersports on it last winter. Big improvement (downsized to 16" on dedicated alloys. Looks under-tires, but I am safer).

• Options
    vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    No snow here in Florida - Guess I should look for "Hurricane" tires? :surprise:
  • Options
    imamonkeyimamonkey Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm a long time reader, first time post-er....
    Is it true that the s-type version of the new acura tl won't come out till 6-12 months after they release the regular version??? :mad: me want awd and s-type!!! will that even exist?? or will it only be one or the other? please let me know, if you have any "accurate" info! thanks a lot.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    From my best guesstimate and what happened with both generations of TLs that had Type-S models, the Type-S model probably won't appear until the MMC, 2-3 years into the design...

Your best bet is to probably just wait for the Type S, or if you need a car now, get the SH AWD model...
  • Options
    ...or grab a current Type-S (which is still one helluva car for the price) and then trade up to the SH-AWD Type-S if and when that materializes.
  • Options
    gundersengundersen Member Posts: 14
    With the new top of the line TL supposedly boasting 300+ Hp and AWD, why would anyone buy the RL for thousands more. Acura may have to offer a V8 in the RL to be competitive in the future.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think the RL is simply a lame duck filler until Honda's finished developing the next one.

There's never been a compelling case to buy an RL, unless you're on the used car market where RLs are pretty much the only Honda that depreciates heavily.
  • Options
    judging from the pics i have seen so far of the upcoming TL, the RL looks like a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    With the RL , you have to disregard the MSRP, because most dealers may no bones about the fact that they are willing to sell the RL at deep discounts. It does have a look of understated elegance that is not found on the current TL. It's not drop-dead gorgeous by any means, but it is a clean, classy design. The interior, especially, looks decidedly more upscale than then TL.
  • Options
    fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Yes the RL does but it is also heavier and can't hang w/ the current Type-S. When the 2011 RL comes out with the est. 420HP, then it should be the one to look at. Unless ofcourse, the new 2011 TL Type-S gets equipped with a twin-turbo 3.7 V-6. This car could run the 335i pff the track. Let's hope Acura further develops their turbo engineering project. I would like to see the Type-S as a standard like the BMW "M" class. So most of their vehicles can take advantage of Acura/Honda race engineering. There should not be periods where enthusiasts have to wait for a "special" Type-S model to be released toward the end of the model's line. If Acura wants to get to Tier-1 and shine there, offer the Type-S all of the time so people can begin to recognize them as a serious performance standard. If they did this, they would beat Infiniti and Lexus to the punch and could make a strong statement into the Tier-1 arena. Get to it Acura!
  • Options
    kurtkbeekurtkbee Member Posts: 22
    Then what is the use of the RL, which IMHO looks like a slightly longer honda accord (nothing is wrong with the look of a honda and it's efficiency/price).
    However, if i am spending almost x2 the money on a RL than an Accord then why am i getting something that is not totally distinctive from the Honda (I also really think the RL styling is poor).

I am not sure what the mileage is like on the TL but i hope/trust that Acura is realizing that the RL has some of the worst mileage for a V6 and with todays gas prices (and possibly worse tomorrow) requiring premium fuel should only happen when you product does extremely well with fuel efficiency.

Does anyone know if the engine in the TL? Is the same one in the RL and when will there be more details on the pricing of this car?

I am really pissed because I was holding out for the 09' RL because of the improvements that i believed it needed for a $50K car that could also satisfy my need for more space (actually i was going to get a MDX but feared that gas prices would climb higher).

I really like the styling of the new TL and wish that they would replace the persons responsible for the styling on the RL with the team that did the TL. I am sure (if the mileage is good) it is sell very well in today's (recessed) market.
  • Options
    Distinction from an Accord

3.7 Litre
    18 and 19 inch wheels
    SH AWD
    Ventilated seats
    Power Sunshade
    Manual Shade
    Xenon lights
    AFS headlights
    Real Wood Trim
    10 speaker Bose surround sound
    Real Time Traffic and weather
    EBD (BRAKING SYSTEM)
    Collison Mitigation System

I can go on and on if you want me to.
  • Options
    I did refer to the "looks/styling" of the RL not the amenities. My point is that there was little outward distinctive difference (09' has widened that gap) between the RL and the accord (IMHO).

I really take issue with the styling. I love the look of the MDX and (new) TL but i think that the 09' RL styling is not as bold as other members of its class and this issue combined with the sub par V6 efficiency (speaking MPG not power) is possibly leading to its relatively poor sales in this (US) economy.

Again, after almost 8 months of visiting dealers (for both MDX and RL, reason for abandoning MDX stated above) it was disappointing to see that there was only a significant styling change in the TL and not the RL.

I still wonder if anyone knows how efficient the V6 is on this TL.
  • Options
    The RL is not that bad compared to the M35X in regards to gas mileage-

My neighbor has the Infiniti M35X and I think he is having buyers remorse becuase of the poor gas mileage he is getting. He took it down to South Carolina (we live in Fairfield county CT),the M was basically drinking gas as if it was going out of style he said.
  • Options
    You know, I was always told to never compare myself to the worst performers in my classroom but always to the best (if they can do it then so can I). Therefore I would not consider the fact that the Infiniti M35x is the benchmark for efficiency and as such would prefer to look at the fact that if the engineers at Jaguar (XF), Lexus (GS), Audi (A6) and BMW (5series) can make a car that with similar engines (and in some cases V8s) perform in a more fuel efficient manner, then why with the heritage and efficiency of Honda engines can't Acura do so in the RL model (i withhold judgment until details emerge on the 09' TL).

(p.s. i think your response was to my latest post in the 2009 Acura RL thread where i mentioned the M45)
  • Options
    I think the V6 in the RL gets subpar mpg, especially compared to V8's in other models because it is somewhat underpowered for the car. But then again, I didn't think the V6 in the current TL is all that efficient either. It is a gas hog in city driving.
  • Options
    willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    Official Picture released today.image

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4634

07/10/2008 - TORRANCE, Calif. -

The all-new, completely redesigned 2009 Acura TL employs dramatic new styling along with a luxurious interior that includes more driver relevant technology than ever. Featuring the most powerful Acura engine ever, the 2009 TL will be available in two distinctive versions including the first ever application of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) on TL. Available in the fall of 2008, the new TL will deliver a driving experience that achieves new highs within the performance luxury sedan category.

Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 270 dealers within the United States. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the turbocharged RDX luxury crossover SUV and the award-winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle.

For additional information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media inquiries, please visit www.acuranews.com.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Good find! I'm still not in love with that grille.....
  • Options
    I like it from this angle- now I need to see the rear.
  • Options
    Very nice, hopefully they redesign the RL soon.
  • Options
    Thanks, Willis.

As an '05 TL owner, my first reaction: Ugh. Nope, not for me. Front end is horrendous. No TL in my future. But, final judgement will be reserved after seeing, tasting, touching the actual car.

I had the same reaction when my '99 Chrysler 300M was replaced by the current 300. TL replaced the M, still have no interest in the current 300. Looks like I'm off to Audi or Jag next year...

• Options
    sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Oh man, that looks pretty bloated, I hope it looks better in real life otherwise I'll be looking for another brand come trade in time.....
  • Options
    I have to say it does look better than the TSX front end, which employs a similar grill design.
  • Options
    go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I've owned Acura's since 1988 - currently the owner of an MDX and the new TL. In my opinion, Acura's styling has totally lost me! From a "50 foot away" view, the new RL, TSX, and soon to be released TL ALL LOOK VERY SIMILAR with that ugly grill - first impression is that the grill came from Saturn.

P.S. Seriously considering replacing my current TL for the new 2009 Maxima which is very fun to drive and has much more distinctive styling. IMO.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Its an ok look... But it looks too Too TOO maxima-esque for my taste...

Hopefully Nissan wont sue take offense.

-Cj
  • Options
    Just my opinion, but I think Nissan has lost its way with regard to the styling for the Maxima, at least for the last 2 generations of Maxima. There is no evolutionary flow from generation to generation, nor any tie-in to a corporate brand identity. It seems like they would try a certain look, decide it doesn't work, scrap the whole thing, and try a completely different look, all the while using somewhat gimicky styling cues. A perfect case in point is the styling of the grill, which should be the focal point of their brand identity. But look at how many times they have changed the look of the grill since about 2001.
  • Options
    rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    Any word on the gas mileage?
  • Options
    newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the info but the Link doesnt work. Can you kindly send another link??

Also how does the back of the new Tl look?? Any pictures of that anyone??

Thanks
  • Options
    sekitorisekitori Member Posts: 9
    No matter how good the rest of the car may look, the extremely ugly front end destroyed any interest I may have had in the 2009 TL. How they could do such a terrible thing to a really nice automobile is beyond me.
  • Options
    willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    The TL is growing in size and heft. I think the rear is now taking the shape of a Lexus GS.

I loving my 3rd generation TL-S even more.