Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Must have gotten mixed up on the Camry/Civic design theory. The Camry/Civic cues are in the rear taillamps. They are quite big on the 09 TL. Supposedly it has a look that won't be accused of being boring. Looks very different when compared the current model.
  • traumeritraumeri Posts: 32
    Honestly the new front end is growing on me even through camo, so hopefully the real thing looks even better.

Acura is pitting the TSX against A4, BMW328, and perhaps IS250. This is probably why they are reportedly making the 09TL bigger to perhaps slot it between the A4/A6, BMW335/535, Infiniti G35/M35, and the Lexus IS350/GS.

How will Acura distinguish the TL from the competition? They have fewer loyalist vs German cars and perhaps even Infiniti/Lexus. Will they emphasize value? Can the 09TL overcome G35's RWD and content value? Will they move up the pricing point? If so, they will have to beat out the G35 handily in something.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl-future.html

Well edmunds should have these pics but these are some nearly undisguised TL spy pics. Enjoy!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I see a little bit of current TL in the front, a little bit of Lexus GS in the back, with a little bit of Maxima thrown in for good measure. Overall, a bigger, bulkier look. We'll no doubt grow to accept and even like it, but I still think 15 years from now, we're look back at the current TL and recognize a classic, timeless design.
    The tape is probably hiding some details. I like the 2004-2008 design especially the type-S. The 07-08 Type-S in Kinetic blue pearl and those chrome accessory wheels looks awesome.
  • rnmomrnmom Posts: 32
    My 05 lease is due in a few months by the fall will the 09 be available
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    We started to see lightly camo'ed pics of the '07 MDX in June of '06. The car became available for the public the first week of November '06 (I purchased mine 3rd week of that month, and paid sticker :cry: ).

If acura follows the same formula for the '09 TL, it should be available late fall and expect to pay sticker.
    There is no chrome strip on the trunk lid. Just another really elaborate disguise.
    I think the back looks promising and different enough, definitely a Transformers look. The new photos "hopefully" suggest that Acura modified the front grille since the earlier design which clearly showed a broad "V" through the camo. The way the current camo photos suggest a design closer to the current Toyota Camry grille in regards to the "hanging" logo look.
    Thoughts?
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Posts: 19
    Has anyone heard any information regarding a future TL Type-S?
  • gundersengundersen Posts: 14
    No Type-S. 2 versions though. 3.5L 280 hp and 3.7 300 or more Hp AWD
    Thanks Gunderson, I really wanted to know if anyone knows about future type-s cars. I am under the impression that the future type-s will have around 350HP. That would be cool but a twin-turbo TL would be even better! Something to roll with the IS-F. That probably won't happen due to the NSX but they should really consider offerring something a bit more extreme. We'll see....
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,187
    Unlike in the past, at ~$4.25/gallon for premium, I don't think there'd be much demand for an "S" model. That's because the super rich - those who don't flinch over high fuel prices - buy Ferraris, Bentleys, and other exotics, and high end German brands, not TLs, while many of the comfortable and well off, but not super rich, folks have a certain sensitivity for high fuel prices.

Although a TL-S can't be ruled out, I think you're more likely to see a diesel option for 2011. I understand the TSX will get a diesel option for 2010, so I'm thinking the TL's will follow about one year later.

Honda has stated it will offer hybrids for mileage conscious buyers of Civic-size cars and smaller, and four and six cylinder diesels for larger vehicles.
    2013 could provide a Type-S. Both engines can be had with SH-AWD. 3.7L is Tech Package and SH-AWD only. 3.5L can be ordered with FWD if you wanted it.
    think they'll wait that long to provide a type-s?
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the new technology that may be put into the 2009 TL?

Automatic Headlights? (my biggest pet peeve with my 2003 Civic EX & the wife's 2008 Pilot)
    Ventilated AC Seats?
    Remote Key Fob?
    Cylinder De-activation?
    Ipod Adapter?
    DVD Player for when the car is in park?
    Solar powered exhaust fan to circulate the hot air when parked outside? (okay, I know I'm pushing it!)

I can look past the exterior's less than desirable asthetics if I feel that I am in a 'luxurious', reliable car.

Finally, is it worth the wait or should I just get the Mercedes C300 Sport now which in my opinion is the best looking car on the market, but by no means is as reliable as a Honda/Acura.

Thanks! :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I would say automatic headlights for sure, since the '09 TSX already has it. Ipod adaptor not the same as mp3 adaptor? Ventilated seats maybe. What do you mean by remote key fob? Aren't all key fobs remote?
    Cylinder de-activation would be interesting in a vehicle of this type. As I have stated before, I don't think the majority of buyers have fuel economy as a first priority. That was then, this is now. VCM may attract buyers that would otherwise be looking at, perhaps a four cylinder performance sedan.
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Posts: 15
    The marketing savy experts at Apple made sure their connection is different from other mp3 players. Currently Mercedes and I believe BMW have Ipod compatible connections.

As for the key fob, I like the option of keeping the key in your pocket/purse at all times and just pressing a ignition button without having to turn a key into the ignition. Definitely not a necessity but it is a nice feature.

I'm glad to hear automatic headlights are available though, thanks for the feedback!
  • winstewinste Posts: 6
    Infiiniti has iPod integration as well.

Difference between AUX input and integration is the iPod menus show up on the cars touchscreen. Very slick.
    Automatic headlamps = maybe
    Ventilated Seats = maybe on the top end trims
    Remote Key Fob = yes
    Cylinder Deactivation aka VCM = no
    iPod adaptor = yes of course. Acura just developed a USB port that can play ipods but only newer ones.
    DVD player while in park ok = probably not

Hope this helps.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    For a 4 cylinder performance sedan, you could just look at the TSX instead of the TL.

VCM would be nice, but I don't know whether or not Acura will go for it; does the MDX have VCM?

And automatic headlights better appear- both of my Nissan products have them (Altima and I35) as well as higher end Accords.
    All 09 TL's should get a nice USB port. It plays USB devices and iPods. You have to have a fairly recent iPod in order to use it though. All you need for iPod is just the cable that plugs into your computer.
    I think it will also be getting a 20gb hard drive onboard, although whether or not it will play Apple's DRM-limited format is another thing (but that's Apple's fault).

RE: automatic headlights, are we talking about adaptive headlights as well?
    These things are all great, just, we need to know an extreme sport version such as the IS-F is in the works.
    I think the 20 GB hard drive is for the tech package model. There is no way Acura wants it standard. The USB port will likely be standard.
    Some execs in Japan like the idea of Type-S being like an AMG, M caliber vehicle.
    Makes sense to me, as the rumor is for 2 engines and 3+ trims so far ala the German formula. They may want to try offering sports suspension as a package as well instead of an outright Type-S, leaving them time/room to develop a "true" Type-S like the BMW M series.
    Also the USB port requires an ipod thats at least a 5th generation. Or in that timeframe. The new Nano, touch, phone, classic and touch work. So if you have an older one then you will have to consider replacing it if you want to use the USB port.
    does the MDX have VCM?

Negative, however the new Pilot does.