Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report

Comments

• lwolf99lwolf99 Posts: 73
    >>but can I get several phone#'s to check on my needs
    I have an Enclave CXL AWD with just about every option, including NAV. To checkout your question, today I chose the Points Of Interest option, and selected hotels. Nearby hotels were listed. When I selected a hotel the address and telephone number were both displayed.

Hope this info helps you. Let me know if you have any other nav questions.
  • melkin1melkin1 Posts: 1
    Trying to decide if we go with the 2nd row Bench or Captain Chairs. Anybody have the bench seat?, thoughts comments???
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    If you need to be able to carry more passengers, the bench is the way to go. If that will never be an issue, go for the captain's chairs with the new center console for extra storage.
  • kcoreykcorey Posts: 130
    But so far this option is not yet available.
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Posts: 73
    >>>Trying to decide if we go with the 2nd row Bench or Captain Chairs. Anybody have the bench seat?, thoughts comments???

I wanted a usable 3rd row. I test drove a number of CUVs with 3rd rows, and found that only younger children could fit in most of them. I found the Enclave and the Mazda CX9 to have the largest room in the 3rd row. Then taking it one step further, I specifically bought the Buick Enclave over the CX9 because of the ability to get the 2nd row captains chairs.

IMHO, the 2nd row captains chairs makes it soooo much easier to get to the 3rd row, by simply walking between the two seats - no need for flipping, folding, resetting seats, etc. Plus, for those that do end up siiting in the 3rd row, the extra space between the 2nd row seats makes it "feel" even roomier and more open, as opposed to being totally trapped behind the full width bench seat.

My wife and I have 2 chldren - ages 6 and 11. Most of the time, it is just the 4 of us, but once a week or so, we are carrying frinds, family, etc. And once a week I drive me plus 4 or 5 employees to a staff lunch meeting. Prior to the Enclave, I drove a Chrysler T&C minivan, with second row captains chairs. To me, the Enclave seating arrangement feels pretty similar to the roomy minivan seating. Lot's of room for each passenger, and very easy for passengers to get in and out of the 3rd row, and roomy for them to sit there.

If you MUST carry 8 people, the I suppose you have to get the bench seat. But otherwise, I would definately recommend getting the 2nd row captains chairs. Just my opinion.
  • glimoglimo Posts: 23
    Regarding 2nd row seating - We have a two-month old baby and my in-laws are staying with us for a year to take care of the baby. We ordered Enclave with 2nd row bench in May since we heard it's safer to install the car seat in the middle of a row. Now that the vehicle is taking forever to be built, we should be able to cancel the factory order and get something on the lot. Since there are only five of us, there is really no need for 8 seats. And we would actually prefer captain seating for the convenience to move around. Can someone give me some suggestions on whether it's safe to install car seats on captain seats? Side airbags are my major concern.
  • kcoreykcorey Posts: 130
    I hope this helps. I have a 2005 Terraza and my youngest son has a 2004 Mercury...both with captains chairs, both with car seats. The car seat actually anchors to the seat (between the seat and back) with a "strap" that goes over the back (below the headrest) and attaches to the bottom rear of the seat. As far as I know, these meet Federal guidlines and are as safe as they can be made. I think all new child-safety seats have to be in compliance, as do the seats in all cars...whether they're bench seats or captains seats.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    Melkin1,

On our CXL awd we opted for the 2nd row bench. Besides being a $411 invoice saving we found the seats to be just as comfortable as the captain's chairs. Other than style, I don't see a reason to pay more for less seating. Our 21-year old son also enjoys being able to lay across the bench for a mid-morning or mid-afternoon or whatever nap! LOL!
    Oh, the entry into the third row works the same way: both seats tilt and fold just like the captain's chairs. Also, the seats recline just a little bit, the same way. Oh, and that center console will also cost more.
    I say, what does one gain with the chairs? :confuse:

Jay
  • jacko15jacko15 Posts: 8
    Just picked up my Enclave CX yesterday, and got the 2nd row bench because it provides a better cargo floor without the hole left with the captains chairs. Maybe a console would help that problem, but I didn't want to wait. The bench is very comfortable and easy to flip for access to the 3rd row. I suppose hauling cargo isn't a priority for most of you, but I'll use it that way, and like the bench for that reason. By the way, I've been looking to buy an Acadia for about 6 months and saw the Enclave for the first time up close on Monday and it was love at first sight. Bought one right off the truck at my favorite dealer. Happy trails to all. ;)
  • grd398sgrd398s Posts: 15
    I guess it just depends on your situation. If you really need the extra seating, then go for the bench. Other than for extra seating, I don't see any good reason to opt for the bench.

With the captian's chairs, the 3rd row seat feels so much more open and is accessible through that space (if you don't get the center console) rather than having to flip and fold the 2nd row bench forward. It makes the whole back seating area feel so much more open, spacious and comfortable.

Also...for those with child seats...make sure you realize that with the bench, you would have to remove the child seat(s) each time you need to access the 3rd row - can't flip/fold with a child seat attached. That was a big deal for us...going with the captain's chairs was a no brainer after that realization.

I also don't think the center console is worth it - it's just space for storage and cup holders. The Enclave is already loaded with cup holders, and unless you live in your car, who needs that much storage in a vehicle? If it served some other purpose (3rd row controls, etc.) I would consider it, but it's just a big clunky box taking up potential bonus leg room for people in the 3rd row.
  • larcherlarcher Posts: 1
    I too, would be primarily buying the Enclave to haul around my precious cargo (3 big dogs) to fun beach and park excursions. So, my question to you, having never owned anything but a 4 door sedan before is - do the second And the third seat fold down so that It could from one big Flat (important) area behind the two front seats behind the driver & passenger front seats?

I love the way that the Enclave looks! I have a Jaguar sedan and while it's beautiful, it is a difficult activity to get all 3 dogs into the car. Thanks for your reply!
  • jacko15jacko15 Posts: 8
    The cargo area is really quite flat with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down, especially if the 2nd row is a bench. If you go to the Buick site I'm sure there some good pictures.
    "Also...for those with child seats...make sure you realize that with the bench, you would have to remove the child seat(s) each time you need to access the 3rd row - can't flip/fold with a child seat attached. That was a big deal for us...going with the captain's chairs was a no brainer after that realization. "

Are you 100% sure about this? If so we would have to call our dealer ASAP to see if we can change the order. Order status has moved to 3000 since last week, don't know if we still have the chance to switch.
    We originally thought the 40 side of the bench seat can be folded with car seat in the middle. The sales person knew we were having a child soon and didn't mention the car seat problem with bench.
    Allow me to clarify...this would be a problem for those with TWO car seats in the second row. If you just have one, you're right - you can still fold the 60 or 40 portion of the bench that doesn't have the car seat attached.

Sorry to alarm you! It might still be worth checking out at the dealer - it might depend on how large the base is on your car seat (if you want to place it in the middle, it might just barely clear the seat separation - or it might just barely not).
  • beetle8beetle8 Posts: 6
    I agree completely. My new Enclave is the most comfortable ride and we just traveled 20 hours (10 hours one-way each) to visit family and my 3 kids and wife sat comfortably in each of their areas! Yes, the stereo system is sweet and enjoyed the XM radio along with the DVD system!!
    One word -- PHENOMENIAL!!
    Thanks grd398s. That does make sense.

I have a 6 week old baby and we will expect another one in a couple of years. So eventually I will have two child seats installed in the Enclave. I've heard before (from the policewoman who inspected our car seat) that it's the safest to have car seats in the middle. Even side airbags can pose danger to a young child in an accident. Is this true? We want the convenience and comfort of captain seats but safety comes first.

Either my in-laws or my parents will be staying with us for the next several years. With four adults (two elderly who don't drive) and two children, what would be the better seating configuration? Any suggestions?
    Well first, congrats on the new baby!

I really don't know enough about safey concerns with having the car seats in the captains chairs (maybe some other do and can post their thoughts). I assume it's not too much of an issue since lots of vans (the ultimate baby-haulers) come this way. I don't doubt that it's "best" to have it in the middle, but I assume it's still okay for them to be on the sides or vehicles wouldn't come with the built-in car seat latches designed for the side seats.

Personally, I still think the captains chairs are the way to go. Even with a car seat on each captains chair, the 3rd row bench is plenty big for two adults. Plus without the console, the adults can get to the 3rd row without having to flip/slide the seats forward. And on top of it all, I just hated the "trapped" feeling I got when we sat in the 3rd row at the dealer in a Enclave that had the 2nd row bench. I think the bench really destroys the open/expansive design of the Enclave.
  • So there is no way to get into the 3rd row if you have 2 child seats in the 2nd row (bench version)?

Any Enclave owners have two child seats? What is your experience?
  • nastacionastacio Posts: 370
    We have twin toddlers and another on the way. I like the Enclave looks better but a Saturn Outlook was just a good test-fitting mule in the absence of Enclaves in our nearby dealer.

The Outlook had the bench and we *could not* fit both their car seats in the 60 portion of the 60/40 split. Our car seats are 20" wide and the position for the latches didn't help.

I would go with captain chairs if I had to put any short kid back there. You are going to lose one of the 2nd row seats (the 40 portion, probably) anyway, the windows in 3rd row are too high for them to see anything (more so in the Enclave), and the tall bench pretty much blocks any kind of forward view.

I liked the fact that there was a car seat anchor in 3rd row, no latch though.
  • Just thought of another idea. If one decides to get the 2nd row bench, then place one car seat at the 60 split and then the other in the 3rd row. I also wonder if a car seat and booster seat (smaller) would both fit on the 60 split?
  • I have been looking at all the auto blogs for years. When I first saw the early views of the Enclave concept, I thought it was the best looking CUV I have seen and have followed it from conception to the dealers lot.

I currently own a 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD with only 30,000 miles on it. My fiancee just purchased the new 2007 Acura MDX which is a fantastic vehicle. Obviously, I have no desire to purchase the same vehicle as hers when it comes time, so the Enclave is at the top of my short list.

Financed my Aviator for 5 years thru Ford Motor credit with 0% financing, so it's hard for me to run out the door and indulge new car fever, with this free money vehicle with low mileage on it sitting in my garage... Plus I love the Aviator... I think Lincoln made a mistake in canceling it. There are no truck based midsized SUV's in the luxury realm, except for the Lexus GX and that one just doesn't do it for me at all.

Anyways, Buick adds that small V8 to next years model (rumored Super version) and I'll be placing my order. But first I want to see what the Infiniti FX-37 looks like at the Geneva auto show in the spring.

Thanks again, enjoyed reading all of your insights into a great automobile. Just turned 40 and never thought I would be drooling over a Buick!

A snippet from a June 2007 article in Motor Trend speculates on GM's plans for the Enclave.

GM is planning an Enclave Super, though it won't yet confirm the four-porthole, V-8 version. It looks to be a 2010 model with GM's upcoming new DOHC engine-let's call it the "high-feature V-8"-likely 5.0-plus liters with gas direct-injection and variable-valve timing for better power and economy. With higher CAFE standards inevitable, it'll be low-volume, possibly with the Enclave the only Lambda to get the engine, another potential feather in Buick's differentiation cap. The V-6 will get more power and torque, too, as soon as GM can build more direct-injection 3.6s like the one premiering in the 302-horsepower 2008 Cadillac STS.
  • nhhawk6nhhawk6 Posts: 8
    I had not heard the speculative discussions regarding the Enclave Super. I'm glad I read it in your post. I recently bought a fully-loaded Enclave CXL for my wife and our four children, and we love it so much I was planning on getting one for myself. I will definitely put those plans on hold for now, pending further confirmation of GM's plans. A 300+ horsepower V8 Enclave would be a remarkable vehicle!!! I certainly hope it comes to pass!!!!

Hawk
  • Hi Hawk,

You mention you just purchased a fully loaded Enclave and that you have four children. Just curious, did you get the bench or the buckets? If you got the bench, how did you arrange the car seats, etc. so that you can get to the 3rd row?
  • Ya beat me to it!!!

I was traveling and didn't have my issue of MT with me to quote the Enclave Super quip. Great find!
  • We ordered a CXL FWD with all options except DVD 2 1/2 weeks ago and was just told that our order has not shown up on the computers yet. The dealer originally told me 10 weeks +/- but based on reports I read here, that seemed optimistic. It would have been ideal since that is when I turn in my leased Honda Pilot. I guess we are going to be a one-car family for awhile!
    What kind of wait times are others experiencing? :confuse:
  • Our local Buick dealer said "anywhere between 2 and 3 months". In the past couple of weeks, they have always had one in stock.

It is almost funny how they are always loaded with all available dealer-installed accessories :-)
  • Our ordered Enclave arrived exactly 10 weeks from the day the order was placed. And, that included the two-week scheduled plant shut-down in July.

They are adding a 3rd shift to the plant, so I don't think anybody will be waiting longer than 8-10 weeks from the date the dealer enters the order. You should realize that the day you order at your dealer might not be the day your dealer enters your order with GM - make sure you ask about that to make sure your order is placed in a timley manner.
  • To those who have enclave or have ordered it I have a question. It seems to get 5.1 bose surround sound you need to get the DVD as part of entertainment package. I only really need NAV and don't want to spend another $1300 to get the DVD. Is there much difference in audio sound between the 5.1 Bose surround 10 speaker system versus the Bose 10 speaker (non-surround sound) that's part of the NAv audio option-(Entertainment package #3) Thanks
  • I would add another question along the same lines: I understand the nav display is intergral with the audio display. If you are not using nav, is the screen fully illuminated? in my pilot, if I do not enter data into my nav, the screen goes blank after a minute. Of course, my time and audio data is displayed in a separate LCD device. At night the nav display can be annoying if you do not need it.
  • We BOT the upgraded BOSE with the 6 disc CD player. It works great with CD's or IPOD. But the radio is weak. We took this back to the dealer and of course they told us there is not a problem. It sounds like the radio stations are not on the exact channel, some sort of reception problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also the fan blows air constantly on our feet. Living in upstate NY this is cold air. We would prefer to not have this blowing air all the time - any thoughts.

Other than that we love the Enclave - looks great, very quiet. It is very easy to go 80 mph, felt like we were doing 40.