Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Basic Maintenance Questions

jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
Anyone know of the approx. expected life of the OEM Bridgestone 18" Tires and the expected life of the OEM brakes for the 07 FWD Limited. I'm trying to get an idea in my mind of what to expect before replacement is necessary. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• kim532kim532 Posts: 19
    I was curious if anyone has ever used the dura vehicle covers that are sold www.hdkautosport.com? I bought the floor mats and came real close to getting the car cover, but I didn't know how well they worked. I don't have a garage to keep my Santa Fe in and I want to keep it nice for as long as I can. I live in Milwaukee so I always get lots of snow salt dirt on mycar in the winter. Any advice about helping me baby the exterior of my SF in the winter would be greatly appreciated.

Kim
  • krcooperkrcooper Posts: 14
    Here's a new product for you new Santa Fe owners - one I'll bet none of you have seen, heard of, or

dreamed of! I just read about it in Popular Mechanics yesterday, and just checked out their web site - and found that they do have a paint protection "kit" specifically made for the Santa Fe.

Basically - it's pieces of custom cut plastic sheeting that you can fairly easily apply to the various 'high wear' areas of your Santa Fe (or many other cars - for that matter!) - which protects your new cars' paint from rock chips, scuffs, & scratches.

For about $310 - you can cover your Santa Fe.

I'm no salesman for this product - but I'd buy this product - and I thought maybe all you proud Santa

Fe owners would love to know of a way to keep your car looking new as long as possible.

Check it out!!!

You'll find it at...

http://www.xpel.com/paint/hyundai.html#p3703
  • kennyh2kennyh2 Posts: 9
    I have a Galaxy Blue Santa Fe and, tragically, it has already been nicked (what's worse, I did it!). Anyone know where I can get matching touch-up paint?
  • pro212pro212 Posts: 44
    Re: Kim 532
    Hi! I don't know the hdkautosports.com cover, but over the years I've used evolution 4 nd technalon car cover with mixed results on my classic cars and sports cars. Car covers, especially in winter will lead to surface scratches unless placed on 1) a perfectly clean car (hard to guarantee in winter night after night) and 2)with no wind ('cause wind moves the cover on the car and tiny particles of dirt cause the surfact scratches. Also I've actually had Evolution 4 covers freeeze on my cars, especially after freezing rain or thaws followed by snowfall!! Not good at all for the paint when you need to rip the cover off on cold morning in order to get to work. All things considered, I've keep classic and sports cars outside in the driveway with and without covers over all seasons. My conclusion is stay away from covers for a daily use car regardless of weather conditions. On the other hand, cars not used and parked for an entire winter or on a nice summer day/evening (with little wind and a clean car) marginally benefit from a car cover (prevention of paint fading and cleanliness mostly) Hope this helps Kim. I'd say save your money and give your car frequent waxes with best high quality wax (zymoil, Meguir Gold, Liquid Gold or Mothers Carauba Paste)
  • sofsofsofsof Posts: 23
    I'm taking delivery of my new Santa Fe on Saturday. It's about 2 1/2-3 hour drive on a freeway, from where I live. I've read somewhere that one shouldn't drive a brand new car at the same speed. I've also read not to drive it above 55 mph at first.
    Any validity to that?
  • pvalerypvalery Posts: 19
    I would like to remove the name Hyundai and 4wd on the back on my sf and only leave "santa fe"
    Has anyone here done that and would this leave a hole?
  • Can someone look in their owners manual and see if the Santa Fe automatic AWD can be towed behind a motorhome with all wheels down. So far, I have only found the Honda CRV automatic can be towed this way. TIA
  • bfh1bfh1 Posts: 14
    I have leather seats-just wondering if I need some special protector for the leather. there are a ton of things out there ,& I want only the best for my SF-So, what have u used & how did it work for you? Thanks happy driving!
  • hung0820hung0820 Posts: 426
    Towing:
    I am not good when it comes to towing: However, as the Manual stated that the car should be lift-up in the front. For all the wheels down! I am not sure but if the CRV can then I think the SF can. However, you should contact the dealers for further information.

Leather Seats:
    It does not really matter what type of leather protector you are using. Basically they will dry up and and keep it clean. The liquid won't soak into the leather anyway. I like to buy the products that they sell in the Auto Show. I go to Auto Show every year and I usually bought it. Not really remember the name but each year they have better product to introduce.
  • waynesan1waynesan1 Posts: 10
    I just bought a Santa Fe from a dealer about 100 miles from my home. I asked the salesman if there was any breakin or precautions to take for a while and he said no and that I should hold it under 75 on my drive back to my home. After getting home I read in the owners manual to not drive above 55 for the first 1000 miles. Since I drove it at about 70mph for the first 75 miles does anyone have any thoughts on any problems that may arise?
  • billtungbilltung Posts: 255
    I drove my SF from day 1 (only 5Km in odometer) at 120km/hr, occasionally reach 160km/hr, now reach almost 12,000km, engine still run at excellent condition, much smoother after 10,000km notice significant power boost end of break-in period may be the reason.
    I used synthetic oil at my 1st oil changed (at 6000km recommended in owner manual).
  • Kennyh2- You can order touch-up paint from your local dealer. I also have a small nick on my SF. It only took several days to get it in stock. It cost $6.95 give or take.
  • zarinzarin Posts: 6
    Does anybody have experience to share? I wonder whether fixing a child car seat to leather upholstery deforms/damages leather permanently.

zarin
  • billtungbilltung Posts: 255
    I placed a thick blanket between the child's car seat & the leather seat, the leater is still in brand new condition even after 6 months.
  • Try www.carcovercountry.com
    1 800 221-4875

also try these websites for additional toys :)

www.partsforyourcar.com
    www.tirerack.com (GREAT prices on tires and rims)
    www.transwheel.com

*proud owner of a 2002 Santa Fe GLS
  • Yes you should try to avoid using cruise control on the car for the first 1,000 or so miles if possible. Using cruise constantly will "train" your engine and transmission to peform in that horsepower range vs. using different speeds and gears as you drive. You should also avoid pushing the engine into the higher speed ranges (70mph+) if at all possible for the first 1,000 miles. The reason I say these things is #1: three different cars that i've owned has taught me this #2: any car mechanic would recommend it #3: it says the same thing in my car and driver magazine :) :) :)

I owned a Chrysler Sebring and used cruise constantly whenever I drove it. This was after
    10,000 miles of use. By 40,000 miles the transmission performed better on 3rd gear at 65-75 mph (same speed as my local interstate, which I used for 90% of my trips to/from work and college) than at any other speed.Coincidence? Stay safe and drive smart. Love your Hyundai ;)
  • If you are offered paint protection by your Hyundai dealer I would generally avoid it. They really use nothing special whatsoever! They do not put an extra coat of paint on your car or anything close at all. More than one dealer and mechanic admitted that a paint protectant that costs about $20 is put on the car and an equally low cost finish is used. This does several hours of labor but comes nowhere near the cost of $300-$500 that some dealers charge. If you are looking to take car of your car's finish I would recommend PolyGlycoat as soon as you can wash your car after buying it. DO NOT wax your car before applying your special paint protectant. Good luck in keeping your new Santa Fe looking beautiful.
  • Try any good auto parts store (which is NOT Walmart by the way..LOL)
    They can match up the paint you need with what's available. If you
    need more than an ounce you'll save a ton of money too. Remember that
    any car dealer makes more on maintenance and upkeep of a car than
    on the original car sale.
  • Do I have to have my oil changes done by a Hyundai dealer? If I take it to a "Jiffy Lube" type of service center, they will not use genuine Hyundai oil filters - will that be a problem for my warranty?

Perhaps I can buy a Hyundai oil filter and ask the "Jiffy Lube" to use my filter?

Thank you,
    Mike
  • One has to be careful with certain Oil change shops. Some of the places use a vacuum to suck the oil out which can leave a lot of things that you want out of your oil pan still there.... sludge, acids, small particles. The other part is the oil filters ... some stores have cheap oil filters with a low pressure bypass that does little to filter your oil when it starts to break down or get dirty.
  • You can get your oil changed anywhere as long as the oil meets the specs. Any name brand place should do it. Just keep your receipts in case of a warranty problem.
  • Love my new 02 SF GLS, and have 500 miles on it already driving at all different speeds. I have a trip coming up that will require 250 miles at freeway (65 mph) speed.

I heard that you can vary the speed every 15-20 minutes to avoid problems with breaking it in. Anyone else heard of this or have any suggestions for long trips during the break in period?
  • ejapplejappl Posts: 1
    In a review within edmunds.....

GREAT CAR LOVE IT By anthony vazquez
    snip...
    Suggested Improvements: ,SUNROOF,MIRRORS TEND TO HOLD WATER UNLIKE ANY CAR I HAVE EVER HAD? YOU NEED TO KEEP WIPING THEM DURING RAIN
    snip...

Does anyone know any more about this? I'm considering the sunroof option right now. Has anyone had any other bad experience with them as well?

Thanks.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Posts: 40
    (ejappl: This is a re-post of a message I wrote on the main Santa Fe page a week ago.) I just bought my 2002.5 Santa Fe GLS and I had an aftermarket inbuilt sunroof put in. It is a Solaire 5300 and it is fabulous. It is made by Webasto-Hollandia, which is a major supplier to the big 3. They have a nationwide network of glass dealers that can install them. Our price was $1100, but there is a $100 coupon on the Webasto website. This is probably more than the factory will charge, but for those of us who didn't want to wait another 6 months for our Santa Fe, it was a fair price to pay. The website is http://www.solaire-sunroofs.com/ and it has an application guide for all vehicles. You will want to be aware that due to pressure differences, you might have to close the sunroof slightly to avoid that horrible popping feeling in your head! Other than this minor detail, I love my new roof!

(Since this post, I have nothing but positives to say about this product. Feel free to e-mail me if you have further questions.)
  • boinkerboinker Posts: 1
    My teenage age son wants to change the oil on my suv.I've alway's taken it to the dealer for oil change. Can someone show us step-by step on oil change on my suv.Please help!!!
    Thanks for your advice.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Posts: 40
    Boinker,

It's just my opinion, but when you are talking about the best warranty in the business, the last thing you want to do is mess with it by having ANY uncertified technician change the oil. If there are any problems down the road, it will be very easy for a Hyundai rep to say that your warranty is void. Again, it's just my opinion.

Good luck with your Hyundai. I hope you love it as much as I do mine!!!
  • steve285steve285 Posts: 8
    Boinker, I have to agree with tsberkey4, at least while your Santa Fe is still under warranty.

Years ago, I had an AMC Alliance. I did the oil changes myself as scheduled, but the head gasket blew just before the 30,000 mile warranty expired. The dealer refused to honor the warranty despite the fact that I had good documentation. The regional rep was of no help. They only backed down after I filed a law suit. Everything worked out in the end, but the hassle was definitely not worth whatever I had saved on the oil changes.

This is not to say that your son wouldn't do just as good a job as the dealership. The point is only to avoid giving the dealership a plausible excuse for avoiding an expensive warranty repair at some future time. But hopefully you'll never have any problems!
  • waynesan1waynesan1 Posts: 10
    Here is something for Santa Fe owners to check. I have had my 2001 Black Santa Fe for 2 years and have almost 30,000 trouble free miles on it. However, I got out the polish and wax the other day and went to work and when I got up to start on the roof I was amazed at how many nicks and paint scratches were there. I normally use a wash mop to wash the roof and have not inspected it closely until now. I guess I just assumed the roof would look as good as the rest of the paint does. While there were nicks scattered all around the roof area, there seemed to be a higher concentration 2-5 inches behind the front and back rack rails. If any of you folkes have found this on your SF or if you have one a couple of years old and have no similar problem please post.(Especially if your paint is black.) Thanks.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    I don't own a Hyundai but thought about it because of the warranty.Then I read peoples buying experiences where they have to pay for the warranty.Someone please explain why you have to pay for it?