Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE Steering and Suspension Problems

Comments

• mindbodymindbody Posts: 2
    Walter S.

I did the same thing with the flasher button and the actually button fell down into the dash leaving the lighted portion hovering inside the hole. lol
    Still need that repaired.

I also am having the front end work - struts, upper mounts and maybe the sway bar bushings and wheel bearings while it is apart.

Any other advice or suggestions?
  • 2008 Vue, v6. Bought it used w 32k miles. Steering wheel makes the groaning noise that has been well documented above. Car started making a rattling noise (front right) after owning the car for 3 months or so. My warranty covered the replacement struts ($100 deductable). about 6 months later, same rattling noise came back (front right). This time, my warranty covered the upper mounts (another $100 deductable). Now, my newest issue. I was driving on the highway, and had to break suddenly (cruising at 70 in the second to right hand lane, had to slow sown quickly as I nearly missed the off ramp). Mind you I did not lock up the breaks. The car made a high pitched sound like it does when I really step on the gas, it was almost revving. It continued to make this noise for a good 15-20 seconds. I was at a stop light, not moving, tried putting it in neutral, park, nothing would make the revving stop. I turned off the car. Turned it on, it would not go away. Finally, got back up to 5th gear again and the noise went away. Now, this same issue has happened twice again in the last few days. Any mechanics want to take a stab at this one? Also, anyone else notice this car shudders a lot when cruising on the highway?????
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    fedupvueowner,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to a GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Hi Caron,

I am planning on taking this to be looked at soon. Is this something that GM has heard of (the revving after breaking suddenly)?
  • I have a 2003 Saturn Truck Vue V6. When starting and putting the gear in either forward or reverse, the electronic steering freezes up.

I have to turn the ignition off, wiggle the steering wheel and restart before the electronic power steering stays engaged. Some times I have to do this several times before the power steering stays engaged.

I checked the fuses and they are all OK.

What else can I do at this point?
  • I've got an 05 VUE with 72k miles. While under warranty almost every other year I've had to take the car in for a rattle coming from the front driver's side of the vehicle. It sounds like something is very loose and will fall off, especially going over rough roads and bumps at low rates of speed . Saturn replaced the front strut mounts and bearings three times and the struts once. Now, a year and a half after the last repair which was the struts, mounts and bearing, and now out of warranty (of course), the noise is back. Having contacted GM and gotten a case with them, I took my car to a GM dealer and just got it back this evening. They said the noise wasn't the struts or mounts...they looked fine. They said it was the steering column and caliper pins. Having those replaced, I drove the car home and what should I hear? The same rattling. I'm at a loss now with what to do...especially since I'm out hundreds of dollars. Does any one have any idea what this noise could be? I will be calling the GM rep I was dealing with this past month, but who knows what will come out of that.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Intermediate steering shaft - it connects the steering column to the steering rack- goes right through the firewall...Its usually the last part that they change to fix a steering rattle.
    dmspoto,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email us your case number? We would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Hey Fedup, sorry to hear about your issues. We bought our 2008 AWD V6 new and it's been a workhorse with almost no hiccups..except the one you're describing here. A couple of weeks ago, we started experiencing a high-pitched engine noise after braking firmly. It turned out to be the power steering pump needed to be replaced, which was covered under our warranty, as was the rental car we needed while waiting for the part to come in. Since then, it's been smooth sailing!
  • Question: How many camber bolts should be in the rear wheels of a 2009 Vue? (I'm not a car tech person, so forgive any awkward phrasing!)

Background: I just purchased four new tires for my Vue and had an alignment done. They indicated the rear wheels were out of camber, and also indicated that in most cars there are two camber bolts in each wheel, not just one, which is what they found in the rear of my car. They indicated that even though they were able to align it to within spec (barely), that the car/wheels are not aligned, only the four wheels.

I took it to the dealer who is honoring the Saturn warranty work, and the first reaction was, "it doesn't need two because the rear wheels usually don't need much adjustment; there are two in the front wheels. I've never had to add two." Then he questioned the validity of my mechanic. My first reaction was, (a) don't assume I'm an idiot and badmouth my mechanic who has provided great and reasonable service for 15 years, and (b) just because you didn't add the bolts doesn't mean they're not needed.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • I have a 2003 Saturn Vue. I had a similar issue; ended up replacing the steering column. It was costly.
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Vue and When the weather is below 50 degrees, i hear this loud crunching noise on the front right side whenever i ride over uneven group,bump etc. I've had the sway bars changed twice on that side and the noise is still there but only when it below 50 degrees. I went to two different dealers thinking they both would tell me something different but the both said the same thing change the sway bars. As of August 2012 my powertrain warrenty will expire and the noise has yet to be fixed. Please Help !!!! I'm not sure how to present this issue to another dealer with out going in and crying my eyes out.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult time getting this addressed. If we can be of any assistance, please email your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your preferred dealership, and a description of any of your visits there to have this looked at to socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you ! I sent information and the history of all the visits to the email indacated.
    Great!
    My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from Edmunds, will assist you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sportyvuesportyvue Posts: 1
    When I turn to the left my car makes a clicking noice. Like click, click almost like typing. My husband said it's the cv joints but the dealer said it's the steering rack and it needs to be replaced. I am skeptical about this because I have read that steering problems produce a rattling or squeaky noise. They also said if I don't get it fixed the steering will lock up on me suddenly.
    If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, sportyvue, we're happy to do so. Please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have had this problem for four years and have owned my Saturn for five years. I took it into the dealership several times under warranty and they said they could not find a problem. It is very annoying every time the temeperature drops below 70 degrees to hear that awful noise. My powertrain warranty is expired so I am praying that it is not anything more serious. Did they ever figure out your problem? Sounds like we are having the same issue.
  • Just wanted to be sure to offer our assistance in working with a dealership should you ever decide to go in to get this looked at again. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2007 Saturn Vue. I've had several issues with the passenger front suspension and front drive train. I had several repairs under my extended warranty. Now it is happening again and of course may extended warranty expired this past April. I am starting to wonder if my vehicle may qualify as a 'lemon'. It's really a shame because my Mom still has the first model year of this same body style and my sister had the 2006 model. Neither of them had these issues! Off to the dealership on Monday again, only this time I'm probably going to get stuck with a big bill.
  • Hi tlsaylor 79,
    I called GM and asked if my car was a lemon and they said no ! If it was would they tell me.. Think not ! being they are no longer in business.. They have replaced just about everything on the front end of My 2008 vue trying to. I believe their is a defect and GM know what it is but refuse to admit to the issue and recall the damn car. Also, My car came from new mexico???? and I'm not sure if cold weather would affect the car being that's where it came from. Good Luck !!
    tinas722,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your concerns further. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • As I was driving down the road coming to a stop light to make a turn the car lost power nshut off
  • My son's 2004 Saturn Vue has this same problem...is it safe to drive like that? No one seems to be able to find out exactly what it is and how to fix it. It has been rattling ever since he bought it and just seems to get worst. Was there a recall for the steering column that he missed?
  • I have a 2006 Saturn Vue FWD V6, at 85,000 both front wheel bearings went out. I now have 95,000 miles and have replaced both front wheel bearings twice and it sounds like one of them is going again. I did one side and shop did the other, I bought Moog and they were higher grade bearings versus the cheapest.

At this point I feel that the bearing are the weakest link but something else is causing the issue. Shortly after the original bearings went I put new tires on and had a 4 wheel alignment. The installer did not note any type of suspension problem and I'm sure they would have liked to sell me parts but apparently what ever it is, is not obviously worn out.

Thanks in advance.
  • Good morning itsmeitsme,

Are you working with a GM dealership on this, or an independent shop? If it's the former, we're happy to check into this further with the service department should you be interested. If you're working with an independent that's great too!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Working with an independent shop.
  • gm_nightmaregm_nightmare Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I am soooo fed up with GM!!! I have a 2007 Saturn Vue, and have been having trouble with it since it was about a year old!!

The biggest, and most consistently re-occurring problem is with the accelerator pedal position sensor. While driving in traffic, all of a sudden the "decreased power" indicator light comes on, along with the "check engine" light, and the car slows to about 2 miles an hour, and will not respond when the accelerator pedal is pressed. This is horribly dangerous, and several times I have had to pull off the highway while semis rush around me!!!!

The first time it happened was at 23,800 miles and was still under warranty, so the dealer replaced the sensor at no charge.
    The 2nd time it happened was at around 42,500 miles, about a year later, and still under warranty, so again, the dealer replaced the sensor at no charge. At that time, though, the dealer thought it might have something to do with the emissions system wiring. So, they pulled all the wires out of the engine housing and checked and replaced every one. Still they could not find the cause of the problem. BUT, they did not put the wires back in the housing like they were. And, all the wires were now white, with little markers on each wire, telling what each wire was for. Also, they drilled a hole in the bottom of the car under the floor board, and ran the wire that goes to the pedal, through that hole. When a mechanic friend of mine saw that, he couldn't believe they put it back together like that, with all the wires exposed to the elements, and any mouse that might want to chew on a wire. Upon his advice, I took it back to the dealer and expressed my dissatisfaction with this jacked up job. The dealer advised that what they did was, in fact, the "GM procedure - or the "GM fix". He said they put it back together exactly how GM advises in their procedure. So, I was left to drive down the road again, with no fix or no determination of what is causing this problem, and NOW, a jacked-up wiring job.
    Needless to say, the decreased power light and engine light came on again, about 2 years later. Now, of course, it was out of warranty, so I had to pay for a new pedal sensor. This then, was the third time this sensor was replaced!!
    Then, 10 months later, yep, it did it again!!! And once again, the 4th time, it was again replaced.
    And then again, only 1 month later, it did it again. And yet again, the 5th time, the sensor was again replaced.
    THEN, only 3 days after it was replaced, it did it again!!!!! At this point, my mechanic said I needed to get GM involved. This was about a month ago.

I called GM, and had the most unbelievable HELL of an experience. Basically, after 2 days of back and forth phone calls, they will do NOTHING for me!!!!
    I asked them if they would take this car back (I still owe$4000 on it) and give me $4000 towards a new GM vehicle. I told them this vehicle is NOT safe, but they did not even care! They told me to take it to the GM/Cadillac dealer who now services Saturns, for a diagnostic, but would not cover the cost of the diagnostic.
    ANYway, the dealer himself finally agreed to do the diagnostic at no charge, since he is the guy I bought the car from in the first place, and he did do the decent thing. BUT, after having the car a whole day, he could not duplicate the problem. He said there was a message in the computer history, but did not print it out, because that would tell him nothing about what is CAUSING this problem.
    So, once again, I'm left to drive this dangerous vehicle down the road, at my risk.
    I have not had the sensor replaced a 6th time.

But, here's what happens. When these 2 lights come on, I of course, pull over, and turn the engine off. The owner's manual says to take off the gas cap and put it back on, and let the car sit for a few minutes. When I do this, and then start it up again, the decreased power light goes out, but the engine light stays on. So, I drive it (since I have to get it off the side of the road!). But, if I drive it for a few minutes and then pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on, then the engine light is off, too. - both lights go off.
    So, I go happily down the road, for anywhere from 1 mile to several days worth of driving, till it does it again!!!
    AND, so far, just today alone, it happened THREE times!!!

Also, sometimes the air bag lights come on, indicating the air bags are not working. BUT then, of course, they go back off in a day or so.

AND, just over the last week or so, when I get out of the car and lock the doors, sometimes they will un-lock themselves as I am walking away from the vehicle!!!

It sounds like an electrical or wiring problem, but who knows.. obviously, not GM!!!

In the beginning of this post, I mentioned I had SEVERAL problems, - the pedal sensor is just ONE of them.

From the day I bought this Vue, there was a buzzing/rattling sound coming from around the front wheel wells. It sounded like metal rattling against plastic. It would rattle whenever I went over even the slightest bump in the road. It would even rattle when I drove over a line of patch in the asphalt, or a crack in a cement road!!!
    I took it in to the dealer, and they did verify it. First, they tried tightening the lug nuts. That did not stop the buzzing. Then they thought it was the catalytic converter, and replaced that. That did not stop the buzzing. Then, they thought it was the wheel covers, and replaced those. Still, the buzzing did not stop. All of this was while the car was under warranty. They even replaced the tires; still buzzing. Finally, the car was out of warranty, and the buzzing continued.
    Then one day, my air conditioner went out. The dealer was going to charge me over $300 just to diagnose the problem. So, yep, I took it to my mechanic. As it turns out, the a/c condenser blew, because of a tiny pinhole in the rod that the freon travels through. It turns out, the bracket that held this rod up, had broken, and the rod was vibrating on the radiator, wearing a hole in the rod. Lo & behold, when I drove a few blocks towards home, with the new condenser, I did NOT hear any buzzing!!!!
    I went BACK to the mechanic, and asked if the metal rod could have been vibrating on a plastic part. He said "yes", - in fact. It was vibrating on a plastic piece of the radiator!!! YAY!!! we finally found the cause of the buzzing!!!!

So, anyway, I don't know if anyone has had similar problems, but I sure would like to get some ideas on what to do!!!

GM is absolutely NO help!!!! This car has been a lemon since day one!

ANY IDEAS???
    Thanks!!!
  • Hello gm_nightmare,

We're very sorry to see how much of an ongoing issue this has been for you. I see that you did contact Customer Assistance - if you were to forward your case number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com we can check to see what happened with your case and if we can help it progress.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hello, I had this same thing with our 04. I took it to garage ad after 900 dollars worth od struts and all joints The were as stumped as I was. I spent time just looking at it as process of elimination and weeded out many issues.
    Now To the main point, Get under the drivers side dash and follow the steering shat down to the connection. At that junction theres a bolt. It was loose. I tightened it and added a drop of thread locker. That was almost two years ago. No more rattling and clunking.