Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M Electrical/Lighting

The lights up over the windshield have started blinking whenever they feel like it. They will blink a few times and then stop. There may be other lights blinking, too, but it only has happened when the car is moving so far and i can't tell.

I would expect that these lights are controlled in a number of ways. Unlocking the door, nights when getting out of the car, turned on by pressing the light, others.

Any idea what causes this or how to fix it? Are the lights controlled by the car computer or in some other way?

I have a 2000 300M mileage in the 70,000.

Thanks
Stan

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Scroll the dimmer wheel for the interior lights completely up and completely down a few times, and turn the light switch from Auto to all the way on and back a few times. That should remedy it. If not, remove the whole switch and unplug and plug it 3 times (actual documented fix for this :surprise: .)
  • Hello,
    I have a 1999 Chrysler 300M. It has 158,000 miles. I got in it and turned the key and that's when the problem started. I will list the problems in order to keep the message as short as possible. I could not arm the alarm, doors will not lock by using the power switches on the doors,the rear windows will not go up or down and I can only let the front passenger window up, not down with the driver switch, the a/c and compass comes on at 75 degrees and there is no electricity going to the a/c compressor.Electricity was applied to the a/c compressor and it worked fine. The interior lights will not come on, the power mirrors have no power, the radio has no power, and the turn signals will not come on. The funniest of the problem is when I turn the key to start the car the horn blows! Is this a sign that the body controller module has gone bad? I have enjoyed this car and I do not plan on getting rid of it. Any help or advice will be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks A Lot
  • Thank you. Scrolling the dimmer switch did the job. Haven't had a problem since i did that.
  • aj86aj86 Posts: 6
    Hey, coldnight300 I have the same problem you have with your 300m. My 300M has about the same milage as your's. The only difference is that my windows and turn signals work fine. I also need some help or advise. Have you checked the fuse box. I checked mine and it was blown out, but when I tried putting in a new one it got blown as soon as it made contact. See id your fuse is blown out, if it is try to put a new one and see if you have more luck than I did. That's the only advise that I can give you at this time. If you tried something diffent can you let me know because I also dont' want to get rid of my ride.

Thanks
  • My 99 300M , 127,000 just did this very thing tonight on the way home from work. I thought to scroll the dimmer switch, up and down as suggested, and it didnt do it again on the ride home....lets see about tomorrow.
    Issues I've had:
    Currently passenger rear window wont go down.
    Passenger heated seat works-sometimes-??
    oh yeah and the car doors attract door dings like crazy???
    Good info
  • Before I got my '99 300M I had a '93 Concorde. Shortly after I bought it, used, I started having electrical problems. All the interior lights would quit, the dash lights, AC, turn signals, radio, power windows and seats would stop working. They might work fine later that day then quit again. I found in the service manual I bought for it that all these items were grounded to the chassis by one bolt under the console. It was hanging by a few threads and sometimes a bump would make it loose. I tightened the bolt and never had another electrical problem. I can't tell if the same thing is happening on your car but a bad ground can louse up a lot of things!
  • Hey aj86. Thanks for the advice.I checked all of the fuses and they were fine. The electrical repair mechanic I talked to (not the dealer, another auto repair company) told me right away that the body control module (BCM) needed to be replaced. He said I have to take it to the dealer to get it repaired. The part at the dealer costs $480.00. The service department is going to charge $150.00 to install it and this includes programming the body control module. I now have to order it. They told me it will take 3 to 5 days before it gets to them. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again!

coldknight300
  • Hey quietflyer. Thanks for your advice. The ground wires were ok. I had one wire hanging behind the back tire on the driver side. It was connected to the muffler. I still had the same problem though. The electrical repair mechanic said the body control module (BCM) needs to be replaced. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!

coldknight300
  • teds300teds300 Posts: 1
    Could someone please advise me where I can find the trunk light switch on my 2001 300M?

Does this model use a mercury switch?
    Thanks! TED
  • I just bought a 1999 300m. The owner told me about how the driver's door problem and how it always said the driver's door was open. I think he got tired of having the interior lights on so he somehow disabled them (not by taking out a fuse). The car alarm (horn, headlights, and all) also goes off erratically and I think it has something to do with him fiddling around with stuff. What can I do. I'm pretty electrically savvy so feel free to explain things in detail. Thanks. Also feel free to send me an e-mail if you need to include pics or just want a faster way to get ahold of me. snowplowman03@hotmail.com
  • I looked in my service manual and the trunk light switch is part of the trunk lid latch where the key lock is located. The lamp comes on when the lid is unlocked, even if it is not lifted wide open.
  • I have a 1999 Chrysler 300M that I recently purchased, used. The car has been running fine, and while it needs a little work in all aspects, its been great. Today I was driving around and went to pick up my friend. I parked outside with my other friend in the passenger seat, and we were in there a good 15 mins with the radio and heat on.

When I went to start up the car and leave, I noticed that when I turned on my lights fully, and then turned on my fog lights, the hazard (or left/right turn indicator on the main console) was on. It wasnt a bright green like when the hazards are on or when I am turning, but a very dim green. I then went to look outside, and my fog lights would not come on. Whenever I turned them on, the yellow lights on the front sides of the car would brighten up. I then went to try out my turn signals, and they were blinking as if on a crack rush. They would blink at very high speeds, but go back to normal as soon as I shut the headlights/foglights off.

I am not very vehicle savvy but I imagine this is maybe a fuse. But I wanted to know if anyone on here had an idea of what might be wrong, or if any of you have experienced this. And if so, how I can fix it. Thanks!
  • First my fans went out that cool the engine, both of them, so my car overheats if I'm not constantly driving to allow air to flow through the engine. The fuses were blown so I replaced them and they blew right back that day. Also my break lights don't work anymore and the fuses arent even blown and the bulbs have been changed, still not working. Anybody have any suggestions?
  • im having a problem with display light for a/c and heater display, temp and functions will work but you dont know where you are at.im sure by putting it on auto this will suffice but its a crap shoot. repeat all functions work,just the display light,and thats when it wants to and no rhyme or reason to that . totally annoying. thanks for any advice
  • On the way home fuse 17 blew. Found it replaced drove for 2 days, blew again, replaced blew next morning and everytime driven after that. This circuit contains the AC head controller, ABS Controller, Day/Night Mirror, and Transmission Sensing Switch. We've put a meter on it and found out that it blows right after you accelerating from a dead stop.. When you let off the gas, bam!! it blows. We disconnected the AC controller and turned off the day/night mirror but it still blows.

Anyone have any thoughts ideas or same problem?
  • ahlisahlis Posts: 1
    Hi people,
    I´m living some 100 km above the arctic circle and for some years I´ve been driving a -99 300M that runs smoothly. The other day the headlight (drivers side) went out.
    As I understand it´s a bit tricky to change bulbs, so before starting I would really appreciate some advice from any of you hardened Chrysler owners that knows how it should be done in the best way. Thanks in advance.
  • atl300m1atl300m1 Posts: 2
    Coldknight,
    I am having the exact same experience. What answers did you get to resolve it. I have been checking the wiring harness under the front passenger wheel. Does anyone know where I can get this part on the cheap? Please Help
  • I'm having an issue regarding my Engine and Electrical warning lights. I live in New York and a hurricane just by-passed us. Since then... The engine and electric light have been on as soon as the engine is started. Is this a major problem or just a case of wet wires?

Has anyone else ran into anything similar?
  • Hello,

I recently purchased a 1999 300M and the overhead interior lights seem to be burnt out or might be an electrical problem.

I can't seem to get the piece off to check the bulbs. I only see one screw and I took that out and the back seems to pull off a little but the front will not budge and I didn't want to break it.

Please help me understand how to take this piece off so I can check the bulbs. It's the overhead lights pannel where it shows the temp outside, MPG, and other things.

Anyone??? Please help...