Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Here's the first clear, undisguised photo of the new Jeep Liberty. It will be announced at Detroit next month, and go on sale next summer. It has an IFS, solid rear axle.

Bob

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is that in the GC class? or is it in the Wrangler class?

-mike
  • Options
    The Liberty will (eventually) replace the ancient Cherokee. When it's introduced, it will be positioned in between the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. In a couple of years, the old Cherokee will disappear.

It has a 210 HP 3.7 OHC V6, essentially the new 4.7 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. The base engine I believe(?) will be the OHC 2.4. It can be had with Command-Trac (part-time 4WD) or Select-Trac (full-time 4WD). It also has a rear door, with the spare tire mounted on it. The wheelbase is around 104." It's wider and taller than the current Cherokee. I'm not sure about the overall length.

This vehicle has the hard-core Jeepers in a real hissy-fit, with the IFS!

Bob
  • Options
    With a rear door and mounted spare, IT can become the most expensive repair for backing into a pole test! Hee hee!

-mike
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    [Hehe, just wanted to try the "edit button]

Bob: it's wider than the current Cherokee? Wow, because that is a wide vehicle. Not very long or high (inside), but plenty wide.

Mike: the rear mounted spare is credited by the repair shop (or insurance adjuster, can't remember which) in Kate5000's accident for saving the vehicle from more serious damage. Maybe the 5mph tests are more expensive but anything faster is less?

Rgds,
    -wdb
  • Options
    We are talking about 2 different things here...

Kates tire is not a rear mounted tire on the door, it is mounted in a well under the floor of her car IIRC.

The Trooper got a very poor repair rating on the 5mph backup into a pole test because of the rear mounted spare tire (of course if you back into a pole, the tire on the rear door will push it in, and push it into the roof) Of course, most accidents where you get rear ended especially in an SUV the dive of the car behind you will put it into your bumper, not the spare tire.

-mike
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    is mounted in the well in the cargo floor (just as Paisan said). Yes, indeed both insurance adjuster and body shop said it prevented a more serious damage in my accident.
  • Options
    I think(?) the new Liberty is wider than the current Cherokee. I know it is much taller, however.

Early reports say it is the best on-road Jeep ever. Off-road, that may be a different matter. Early comments from one DC/Jeep board I visit, indicate a very positive reaction to the new Liberty; but, as I've said, many hard-core Jeepers don't like the IFS.

This a vehicle Jeep had to produce. If it didn't, eventually all the new sport-cutes would eat the old Cherokee alive on the showroom floor.

Bob
  • Options
    I'm almost certain the new Liberty retains the unit-body construction of the other Jeep wagons. So it's probably reasonably light, but still strong, and very off-road capable. You can bet it also still has a low range, unlike the Forester, CRV, and Escape/Tribute; which it will compete with for sales.

It's most direct competitor, in terms of competence, is the Xterra. If Jeep (and this is a HUGE "if") can screw this thing together properly, it should blow the Xterra away, IMO.

Bob
  • Options
    The Xterra isn't especially good. It will probably compete with the Rodeo, although the rodeo is slightly bigger than the Jeep will be. Only time will tell. Chances are they'll have all kinds of recall problems like the GC has had, don't forget it's still an american company... hee hee at least it's not a FORD!

-mike
  • Options
    the Rodeo too. Visually, however, it's more akin to the Xterra, especially in profile.

Bob
  • Options
    fernieguyfernieguy Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone heard anything new about the STX lately, I know that all I've heard is that it will be built in the US and it will have that superchaged 2.5l engine and a dual range transmission. I also heard that it won't be distributed in Canada (that sucks). Will be released in 2002?

Stephen
  • Options
    Haven't heard a word in the last several months.

I hope all the items you mentioned will be offered. I also hope for Class II towing (3500#) capability. It may get the H-6 engine instead of the supercharged 2.5. That's the only rumor I've heard, besides the fact that it may not get the switchback mid gate that the concept model featured. :(

Bob
  • Options
    Only cause it's already being produced and they can just slip it in. As for the towing, I wouldn't count on that :( since it's going to be on the Outback chassis it likely won't get a significant increase in towing capacity...

-mike
  • Options
    All the Foresters I've seen and I didn't get that. Doh, doh, doh.

On another hot topic ;-)
    I've just used the "Message Center" button and I have to say that it is pretty cool. It shows me the first new message on each board I'm subscribed to. The Subject is a link that takes me to the board, where I see all the posts since I last visited. Then I click "Message Center" again and I'm back to the list of new messages. Not bad, not bad at all.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    It is pretty cool. Now they need to increase the font size for the topic lists at the forum root. I think the "visited" html colors will not appear because this appears to be DHTML, probably XML generated. If you were building a massive messaging interface built on today's technology, that would be a smart way to do it.

-Colin
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Colin, the coloured links and the font size/spacing issues are both issues that are being considered.

wdb, I'm glad you like the message centre and subscription feature. Poor Bob is not having much luck with them. As host, I find it useful as I am able to subscribe to the entire Vans and A&A conference and have the new messages listed simply by hitting the "check messages" button till it says that I have no more new messages. FYI, CNN also uses Web Crossing in their forums.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    On January 9th...the Subaru WRX unveiling. Need I say more? :-)

Those of you living in Canada, do not miss this week's episode of Motoring 2001 on TSN, this Thursday at 9:30pm Pacific. The all-new Subaru Impreza + rally!! I'll see if I can post a teaser clip later on.

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • Options
    Check this out from another UK site! Go to the "NEWS" button, and scroll down till you see the Jeep Cherokee article, then click on "continue," for the full article and picture. Click on the photo of a Liberty Sport(?) to enlarge it. It looks great!!!!

Bob

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_html_ie.html
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    http://www.new-impreza.com/wrxva.htm

I am really starting to like the WRX wagon in that blue. That's it, I'm going to have to sell my Outback...
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    I wonder if the lower body cladding on the new OB sport http://www.new-impreza.com/wrxva.htm is plastic or just painted on. anyone know??
  • Options
    My opinion: looks like two tone paint, no cladding. Is that good?

-Colin
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Maybe the look is growing on me. The fender bulges on the sedans remind me a bit of the Forester's. Too bad the wagons don't have them. I'd like to see a WRX sdean in black, though. Does anyone know if that blue is the same shade as on the WRC cars?
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    I hope it works.

• Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    OK SOA, the wagon looks real good but ...

1. Loose the Gold Wheels. They look ridiculous. (this applies across the board not just the WRX)

2. The spoiler doesn't look like it belongs on the car. It looks more like a baseball cap brim. (maybe it's the photo angle ?)

- hutch
  • Options
    retsynretsyn Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if they are going to let us know what they're doing with the GT on the 9th?
  • Options
    lose the gold wheels!

Bob
  • Options
    It will likely not get the H6 til 2003 MY if any of the rumors are correct.

-mike
  • Options
    retsyn, either they've been keeping very quiet or aren't planning anything for the next Legacy GT until at least the regular 2002 lineup debut (fall 2001).

ps, I like gold wheels on the right color of car. those aren't too bad. And again, I like those fenders SOOOOOO much better than the obnoxious WRX sedan fenders.

-Colin
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I also heard from a SOA rep at the San Fran Auto Show that the GT will most likely not get the H6. They feel that it doesn't add to the "sporty" nature of the model. I'm pretty sure a turbo will find it's way into the GT.
  • Options
    texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    A 6-cylinder engine wouldn't make a 4-cyl. sports sedan "sportier"? Boy, that seems just plain weird to me. I think a lot (though by no means all) of American buyers see turbo fours as more of a narrow sports coupe niche item rather than a mainstream sports sedan engine.
  • Options
    Well, those gold wheels might look OK on some models in a few colors, but at least in that particular photo they do look just outright tacky to me.
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I'm in total agreement re the WRX wagon. Wheels are beyond tacky, spoiler spoils the car's lines (wonder if that's how it got the name?)
    :-)

Ross
  • Options
    Ross - Great point about the spoiler. Hummmmm ???? At the very least, an option on wheels (gold or silver) should be available to the buyer. I dislike the looks of the gold wheels enough that it would stop me from buying the car. Heck, I'm not paying 24k+ for something that I don't like the looks of. And I'm sure not spending an additional 4 or 5 hundred bucks to replace wheels on a new car!
    Most likely, the spoiler can be removed. Sure looks that way in the photo. So maybe it's an option? Other than those 2 issues .. that's a great looking vehicle. 99 Forester S 4 sale !!!!!!

- hutch
  • Options
    I heard the exact opposite @ the NY Autoshow from the Subaru Rep there (not the hand models that the employ who know nothing about SOA or Subarus) He said that in late 2002MY or 2003MY the GT will get the H6. Who knows til they publish it. Heck we don't even know for sure how much HP the WRX is gonna get!

-mike
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Interesting. I guess the bottom line is that they don't know either. In any event, a more powerful engine would be welcome for the GT. B4RSK, anyone?
  • Options
    kens said: B4RSK, anyone?

Right here. Although, it appears as though my sweetie really and truly does want my GT, so I may soon be sporting a WRX...

Debating sedans v. wagons,
    -wdb
  • Options
    See those wheels,They're not for me
    I do not like the look, you see
    I do not want them on my car
    I do not like them, Sam I are

Not on my car, Not where I can see
    Put them on an MGB
    Or on a Caddie, Lincoln too
    Just not on a Subaru

Gold they say is made for Kings
    But I tell you man .. don't like them things
    I do not want them on my car
    I do not like them, Sam I are

Put them on an MGB
    Just not on a Subaru

Gold wheels look bad just sitting still
    Even worse going up a hill
    I do not like those things I say
    S.O.A. take them away

Put them on an MGB
    Just not on a Subaru

I hope this rhyme has made you think
    F.W.I.W. I think they stink!
    If a WRX is my next ride
    You'll have to set those wheels aside

Put them on an MGB
    Just not on a Subaru

Ok .. I have way too much time on my hands. Merry Christmas Everybody.
    - hutch
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    FYI - those GT rumors. From what I understand, nothing has been decided as to the turbot or 6 cyl. in the 2002 T. However, since we are really focusing on boosting our performance line, I really doubt that we would be just sticking with the regular 4 cyl. in the T. Time will tell!
  • Options
    I wish you all a wonderful, safe and peaceful holiday!!!

I was wondering if you would all mind helping me out a bit? We are working on developing the WAX micro site. Can you give us some suggestions of things you think would be good to add to our FAD section? Since it's not launched yet, we don't know what will be asked frequently, so I'm turning to you knowledgeable folks for some suggestions.

Thanks and best wishes. I'll be checking in over the holidays!
  • Options
    >Ok .. I have way too much time on my hands. Merry Christmas >Everybody.
    >- hutch
    My thought when I read #389, but I loved it . Thanks.

Patti - I hope the SOA is not planning to replace the H4 with a flat fish (turbot is a fish & a bit of a Canadian joke). Thanks for your unintentional Christmas present of laughter. Happy holidays to all. Have a safe and joyous time.
  • Options
    Please to elaborate.

Happy Holidays,
    -wdb
  • Options
    Uggghhhhh - I thought I fixed it fast enough. Seems that the spellcheck wants to put in "turbot" when you put in turbo. I guess I pushed the wrong buttons and when I saw that, - - - -oooops.

I have family from Newfoundland and I recognized "Turbot"!

Glad you could smile!
  • Options
    gedwardsgedwards Member Posts: 18
    Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year from everyone at Subaru Canada!

Enjoy the holiday with friends and family responsibly, please DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

Greg Edwards
    Subaru Canada
  • Options
    Ditto what are they?

-mike
  • Options
    In '98 I told my dealer I'd buy the RS if he put on steel or silver wheels. I hate gold wheels!

-mike
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    I sent you email via the webmaster@subaru.com since it is in your profile. Is that the correct address to reach you?

Thanks!

bit
    Mike@bitman.com
  • Options
    I'm still baffled by "Wax" but I suspect the other one is supposed to be "FAQ" (perhaps whacked by the same spell checker that turned "turbo" into "turbot?") ...
  • Options
    Yep, I just tested it on the BBS spell check -- it definitely, albeit oddly, wants to replace "FAQ" with "FAD."
  • Options
    Got me once. :-) Just add it to your preference page and you can write neat things like WRX and OB.

Ross